Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: The case against Lance Armstrong 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The case against Lance Armstrong  (Read 111046 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #105 on: June 19, 2012, 08:43:16 PM

Fuck you all.  You knew what I meant.   awesome, for real

And the Thunder will be going down. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #106 on: June 20, 2012, 04:23:28 AM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #107 on: June 20, 2012, 06:12:46 AM

Link no work for me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #108 on: June 20, 2012, 06:40:46 AM

The link works okay.  Maybe it's a problem with your work blocking sites?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #109 on: June 20, 2012, 06:41:58 AM

Works now.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #110 on: June 20, 2012, 06:55:01 AM

It's a pretty decent article.  I think that the Clemens deal was an egregious waste of money.  I don't know a whole lot about Edwards' deal because I didn't pay attention to it. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #111 on: June 20, 2012, 07:48:01 AM

Of course it was a waste of money. So was the Bonds thing. The fact they even made them go before congress at all was dumb.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #112 on: June 20, 2012, 08:01:54 AM

Speaking of wastes of money, and to get back on topic a little bit, it appears that the USADA is gearing up for a lengthy and costly legal battle versus Armstrong. 

About a week into its sanctioning process, the antidoping agency already finds itself mired in what could be a long legal dispute, one that lasts months, if not years.

“I don’t think you need to be a crystal-ball gazer to anticipate that it’s going to be rough and tumble from here,” said David Howman, director general of the World Anti-Doping Agency. “It’s a very serious charge, and now we have to respect the process.”

I would have to ask at what point does this become a circus sideshow rather than something productive?  My thought is that it is already there.  What is the point of trying to prove that Armstrong doped?  Nobody will win from this mess.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:19 AM

Sometimes negative media attention is as good as positive media attention... particularly for a sport that is losing fan interest in the US.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 20, 2012, 11:27:29 AM

From everything I can tell working in the industry and talking to folks outside the sport/industry, outsiders tend to see cycling = Armstrong, as he is probably he only cross over "star". So, bad press on the only name you know attached to the sport does not make for good press.

Also, the sport is actually growing in terms of recognition in the US. Having strong athletes/teams that can compete in Europe effectively, mixed with some higher profile races (Tour of California for instance) is helping the profile quite a bit.

beer geek.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: June 20, 2012, 12:04:29 PM

I was actually going to bring up Tennis as one of the worst offenders, who don't really bother checking on it.
How did what's her face test positive for coke a few years ago if no one is checking?

edit: Personally I think they are tackling the performance enhancing drugs on the wrong level.  My main issue with it is it promotes drug use in non professional atheletes, after all if your hero is using em why not you?  They should make all these fucks arguing over their millions/billions of dollars they get paid to play for or own a team pony up to the High School testing fund.  I also hate the whole PC bullshit of not using profiling to pick your test subjects, the top 10% should be tested at every single friggen event they participate in as well as being tested during training.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:10:51 PM by Salamok »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #116 on: June 20, 2012, 12:23:52 PM

Cycling in the US as a sport people do themselves is growing at quite a rapid pace.  It's similar to soccer in that regard.  I will always ask a kid what sports they play in my exams and it is rare to see one who hasn't played soccer at some point.  You see cyclists everywhere on the roads these days.  It's quite common even in backwards Texas.  It's the spectator portion of these sports that suffer.  I think soccer may have reached its peak in the US. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #117 on: June 20, 2012, 12:30:16 PM

Well yeah, because often watching floptacular soccer is about as much fun as watching someone bike around.

Hint. Not much.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 20, 2012, 12:32:07 PM

Texas is one of the largest cycling markets. Seriously.

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #119 on: June 20, 2012, 12:37:16 PM

Yeah, but people don't want to watch it. That's my point.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 20, 2012, 12:44:39 PM

Yeah, but people don't want to watch it. That's my point.

I was responding to this bit: "It's quite common even in backwards Texas."

Bold text is my emphasis.

beer geek.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #121 on: June 20, 2012, 12:45:46 PM

Texas may be a large cycling market.  It doesn't rank well on the best cities for cycling lists nor on the overall state ranking of cycling friendly states, however, so that would qualify as backwards.  And where I live (San Antonio) is barely above banjos and pitchfork level when it comes to "sharing the road".  The popularity of the sport in Texas is probably high because it is relatively flat compared to, say, Colorado and it is warm most of the time.  

That still doesn't mean people are watching cycling, as Paelos said.  
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #122 on: June 20, 2012, 01:49:09 PM

Yeah.  Cycling as a hobby is very popular across the entire US I'm sure, from what I've seen.  Cyclist doing road trips are everywhere in California (annoyingly.  Why must they ride of narrow but busy cliff roads?  All the cars get stuck behind them because trying to pass is a death sentence).  Nobody actually follows it as a sport, however.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #123 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:23 PM

Here's Bicycling.com's list of the top 50 cities for cycling.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 20, 2012, 03:13:47 PM

Our third largest market (behind California and Colorado) is Texas. By a pretty big margin. And we're relatively small compared to some of our competitors. Keep in mind that Bicycling's list is about the quality. I won't dispute that (and can't as I don't live there). Again, my comment was directed purely at the popularity of the sport/pastime.

However, given the increase exposure and bidding wars cities and companies are doing, at least in California, seems to indicate that there is SOME reason to think there's money in them thar hills.

(I've worked for a cycling apparel manufacturer for 12.5 years.)

EDIT: I will say that the industry is seriously suffering this year. More so than last year. And Nike did say "fuck this shit" a few years ago and bailed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:17:27 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: June 21, 2012, 06:10:25 AM

Yeah.  Cycling as a hobby is very popular across the entire US I'm sure, from what I've seen.  Cyclist doing road trips are everywhere in California (annoyingly.  Why must they ride of narrow but busy cliff roads?  All the cars get stuck behind them because trying to pass is a death sentence).  Nobody actually follows it as a sport, however.
Part of my route to work is a popular cycling route, apparently.  It's annoying as hell because it's a narrow road with no shoulders next to the river and when there is a larger pack or riders together, it can take forever to pass them.  Especially if they aren't riding anything close to single-file, either.  I really feel like telling them "Look, I get that you have a right to the road as well, but just remember that I'm bigger and will win any confrontations, especially if you dart out into the lane to move around another rider in the pack."

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #126 on: June 21, 2012, 07:30:09 AM

Sickrubic-  I don't doubt the numbers.  I see scads of cyclists all the time here in San Antonio, Austin and Dallas.  I haven't really encountered many in Houston, but I'm not there very much.  In Dallas several cyclists were killed by road raging drivers in the two years that my wife lived up there by herself.  San Antonio is almost as dangerous.  Austin is awesome, but it's a completely different deal than any of the other big Texas cities.  So when I say backwards, that statement wasn't necessarily meant to imply that there would be (or should be, necessarily) a low number of cyclists in an area, just that there are a lot more hurdles to those cyclists achieving a safe ride.  I think that's going to change, though, as the number of transplants in Texas increase and more and more people start cycling.  Road cycling is inherently dangerous, however, for just the reason that Rhyssa mentioned-  the bike will always lose.  Road bikes were the #3 most common reason that I had to see people in the emergency room for facial injuries back when I was going that thing, coming in significantly behind motorcycles and horses and just ahead of dog bites. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 21, 2012, 07:57:40 AM

So when I say backwards, that statement wasn't necessarily meant to imply that there would be (or should be, necessarily) a low number of cyclists in an area, just that there are a lot more hurdles to those cyclists achieving a safe ride.

That I can't argue with at all, and pretty true of most places.

As a point, people in the industry and hobby/sport don't really need to be told how dangerous it is. We've all lost friends.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:00:42 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #128 on: June 21, 2012, 08:01:37 AM

It's really awful.  But I think that there is a lesson in it, and it's not that you guys need to be educated.  I do think that the average Joe that goes out to buy a Trek to be like Lance doesn't have a clue how dangerous it can be.  My wife and I stopped road cycling for that reason.  I don't think that bike shops do nearly enough to educate their customers on the dangers of road biking. 
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: July 09, 2012, 08:43:10 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #130 on: July 09, 2012, 08:54:11 AM

Yeah pardon me if I think he's full of shit. The first go-to now when confronted is to become vehemently defensive. After seeing this exact kind of response with baseball players, I don't buy it from anybody. Words are wind, especially angry ones. Prove it.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #131 on: July 09, 2012, 09:24:49 AM

The proof is in the pudding, Wiggo.  Every winner since Indurain has been implicated in doping, other than Evans.  Maybe they're clean now, but the past 15 plus years indicates not.  And when Indurain was racing there weren't the controls that they have now, so who knows with him.  He will never admit to doping, that's for sure, but Bjarne Riis did and he was a big competitor of Indurain.  

Addendum-  Wiggins destroyed the field today.  He beat Evans by over a minute on the time trial.  Oddly enough his biggest competition seems to be Froome.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:40:18 AM by ghost »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: July 09, 2012, 01:03:36 PM

The french are also VERY VERY hostile to riders from outside Europe.

beer geek.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 09, 2012, 08:07:56 PM

Lancy baby is suing meanies and telling them to LEAVE BRITNEY HIM ALONE!!! The Judge was not impressed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/lance-armstrong-usada-doping-charges-lawsuit_n_1660192.html

AUSTIN, Texas -- A federal judge handed Lance Armstrong a quick setback Monday as he went to court to save his seven Tour de France titles and his reputation as one of the greatest cyclists ever.

Armstrong filed a lawsuit aimed at preventing the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency from moving ahead with charges that he used performance-enhancing drugs throughout much of his long career.

But within hours, U.S. District Court Judge Sam Sparks in Austin dismissed the 80-page complaint. He said it seemed more intended to whip up public opinion in Armstrong's favor than focus on legal arguments.

Sparks, however, did not rule on the merits of Armstrong's claims and will let him refile the lawsuit. Armstrong attorney Tim Herman said he will do that, possibly on Tuesday.

The judge was not impressed with a filing that dedicated dozens of pages to Armstrong's career history and long-standing disputes with anti-doping officials.

"This Court is not inclined to indulge Armstrong's desire for publicity, self-aggrandizement or vilification of Defendants, by sifting through eighty mostly unnecessary pages in search of the few kernels of factual material relevant to his claims," Sparks wrote.

Ouch.

Hic sunt dracones.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #134 on: July 11, 2012, 10:56:33 AM

Yeah pardon me if I think he's full of shit. The first go-to now when confronted is to become vehemently defensive. After seeing this exact kind of response with baseball players, I don't buy it from anybody. Words are wind, especially angry ones. Prove it.

Huh? 

Sky investigating team doctor..... awesome, for real
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 12, 2012, 07:45:15 AM

His lawyer(s?) refiled hours later challenging jurisdiction, statute of limitations, rights violations etc.  The USADA gave Armstrong a 30 day extension on his decision to arbitrate.  Considering the USADA wants him to surrender his tour victories and retire, why not go to court?  If they had test evidence, why is this dragging out?   
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #136 on: July 12, 2012, 08:03:54 AM

Because the USADA doesn't have very good evidence (which would be strong test sample results) and they probably don't have really good witnesses, e.g. Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, other dopey mcdopes, etc. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:23 AM

Its not uncommon to grant extensions. That way the defense cant say they were rushed unprepared into a court case and its all bullshit -> 15 appeals. They are ensuring this case is watertight and the conviction stands.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 12, 2012, 12:46:09 PM

It will be interesting to see what evidence they have, should this actually make it to court. 
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:31 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: The case against Lance Armstrong  
Jump to: