Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #3 ** 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #3 **  (Read 163382 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #525 on: January 17, 2011, 09:26:29 AM

The match started with some cagey back and forthing

Wow Haem, that failed Go For It in turn 4 really screwed your game (not to mention the fumbled pass on an AGI4 team due to lack of rerolls  awesome, for real ) . But I think you would agree that GFI has been a huge mistake. You should have probably put the ball carrier in a safe place before risking any 16.67%-prone turnover action. Or am I reading that wrong?

You probably are reading that correctly. I don't tend to take percentages into account much because I know very little of what the dice rolls required are. My biggest problem was that I tended to play like I could actually block someone and by the second half it was clear I wasn't going to have enough to score, so I went for getting easy SPP's by either blocking, injuring or making easy passes. I got spread out all over the field on defense and couldn't recover.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: January 17, 2011, 09:29:54 AM

As an aside is there some setting where you can tell what rolls you need to dodge or whatever? All you can see is a red disk on the movement track generally so its hard to judge whether to risk a dodge move.

And if you want to see shitty luck have a look at my game from last night. I literally spent most of the first half doing nothing as it was first block = turnover.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:22:18 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #527 on: January 17, 2011, 10:05:43 AM

Unfortunately the client hides a lot of info from you. Other than block dice, throws and ball pickup rolls you can't see in advance what you need to roll.

In general any AGI based action (Throwing, catching, dodging etc) uses the following formula: Base roll needed = 7-AGI score. So a player with an AGI of 4 needs a 3+ base roll to succeed.

Modifiers vary according to the action but generally every hostile tackle zone adds one to the difficulty.

For blocks it's important to know what the block dice look like. They are six-sided dice arranged as follows:
  • Attacker Down
  • Both Down
  • Defender Stumbles
  • Defender Down
  • Push
  • Push

Both Down results don't affect any player with Block and Defender Stumbles becomes a Push if the defender has Dodge.

This means that with a 2 dice block and no skills on either side, you have a 1/9 chance to knock yourself over (Skull/Skull, BD/BD, Skull/BD and BD/Skull), a 1/3 chance to just score a push (assuming that you don't pick the both down result in a push/BD combination) and a 5/9 chance to knock your opponent over without knocking yourself down too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:11:11 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #528 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:01 AM

Sir T,

the lack of a visual indication for the required numbers on dodges has always been my biggest gripe. Especially because it would be fucking easy to do (or so it seems to the armchair coder). Anyway, here's the rule of the thumb:

Subtracts your char's AGI from 6. That's the number you need for a generic Dodge or Pickup roll.

If your char has 2 AGI, he/she/it requires 5+ (7 - 2 = 5)
If your char has 3 AGI he/she/it requires 4+
If your char has 4 AGI he/she/it requires 3+ (fails only with 1 or 2)

The problem is that Tackle Zones affect that target number by 1 for each Tackle Zone (TZ) ON the square you are dodging into, or ON the square you are trying to pick up the ball, or catching a pass/intercept. That's why you always want to clear people around the ball before trying to pick it up.

So, if you have AGI 4 and would normally need 3+ to pick up a ball lying on the ground, if two meanies are looming over it, then you will have to do 5+ (2 Tackle Zones on the ball, -2 on your roll). If you had 3 AGI you'd need 6+, and if you had 2 AGI you'd have to rely on a critical success. Remember, each player only expresses 1 TZ in the 8 squares around him/her/it)

Same is true for dodging, even though what confuses many players is the subtle difference between dodging OUT of a square and dodging INTO a square. When you leave a Tackle Zone, you make an unmodified AGI roll as expressed in the first paragraph here (that's dodging OUT). BUT, if the next square has more tackle zones, then you are not Dodging OUT anymore, you are actually Dodging IN, and that has the negative modifier expressed above, -1 for each TZ).

What is confusing is that Dodging Out, as far as I can think, is always unmodified, so easier to calculate (7 - AGI), while Dodging In always have negative modifiers.

Dodging OUT (unmodified AGI roll) = Leaving a Tackle Zone towards a free square.
Dodging IN (AGI roll plus -1 for each TZ in the square you are ENTERING) = Leaving a Tackle Zone to enter ANOTHER Tackle Zone.

Number of TZs in the square you are leaving are always irrilevant. What is relevant is number of TZs in the square you are entering AFTER leaving another TZ.

I think what I wrote doesn't make any sense. It's the result of writing too many rulebooks... in Italian. Everyone feel free to correct me or just politely tell me to delete my post as it's confusing noobie minds.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:09:15 AM by Falconeer »

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #529 on: January 17, 2011, 10:09:24 AM

The formula is 7-Agi but dodging has an automatic +1 modifier on top of skills and tackle zones.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:00 AM

I thought that was a pretty good explanation, Falconeer. And the generic dodge indicator constantly screws me up too; even though I understand the underlying mechanics, it's so easy to just assume that all dodges are equally difficult.

Understanding that it is the tackle zones on the square you are dodging into that determine how hard it is to dodge is definitely key, though -- particularly when it comes to defensive play. It's very easy to get the impression you are 'marking' a catcher or gutter runner just because you've put one or two players next to them -- when in fact you are leaving them a very easy dodge out.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: January 17, 2011, 10:44:02 AM

The formula is 7-Agi but dodging has an automatic +1 modifier on top of skills and tackle zones.

Yes, that's another confusing thing. Cause in the roll interface it clearly says you have to roll 4+, but you actually always have that +1 on pickups and dodges, so while you need a total of 4+ after modifications, you always have a +1, so your die roll can always be 1 less than the 7-AGI formula seems to imply.

So while the formula IS 7-AGI, it's... in practice... 6--AGI. Silly, huh?

If your char has 2 AGI, he/she/it requires 5+ (7 - 2 = 5)
If your char has 3 AGI he/she/it requires 4+
If your char has 4 AGI he/she/it requires 3+ (fails only with 1 or 2)

If your char has 4 AGI, he/she/it requires a final score of 3+, meaning if he/she/it rolls 2 it's good, cause it'll be 3 after the automatic +1.

That's why in my head I go with the formula of 6-AGI.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:33 PM

That's pretty standard table-top syntax.

What you are passing is a stat roll with modifiers (from skills as well as the action type), not a conceptually separate dodge roll, throw roll, catch roll, GFI roll etc. Makes the rules text and lookup table shorter for one thing.

However, as others pointed out, UI needs to find a way to display the D6 needed for every single roll before you commit. Sucks that it doesn't - its the digital equivalent of that annoying guy who lets you believe incorrectly that you need a 2+ until you 'commit to the action' and he points out you need a 6 or whatever.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: January 17, 2011, 01:51:18 PM

All of this doesn't help much when your Thro-Ra is dead, does it?

Too soon?   awesome, for real
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: January 17, 2011, 01:54:20 PM

Ask Teleku about dead guys - pretty sure he passed through that phase long ago.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #535 on: January 17, 2011, 01:54:36 PM

More like No-Ra, amirite?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: January 17, 2011, 03:13:39 PM

That's it.  You're on the list.   Well, assuming I make the playoffs.   swamp poop
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #537 on: January 17, 2011, 04:36:29 PM

Morsel 1 - 2 The Elvis Impersonators.

Watch the rep, but the tl;dr version is that drogg played well to stall the game to a 1-1 after I overstreched myself on a blitz (and failed a 2+ catch once I got under it). With three turns left to play, he placed an amazing kick deep into my half AND got a blitz to really put the pressure on my backfield. I wasn't able to get the ball out, and the Skinkzerg got away for a second td.

I just watched the replay and I have to say you were very unlucky. Played well but the dice weren't with you. A couple of minor things might have saved you a draw, but you can't do much when the dice are against you.

There were a few things I could have done better tbh; like having an ag4 guy handle the ball on the last three turns, or caging up for a turn instead of trying to pass the ball out. But having said that, the game was a good example of how an underdog player can really hold their own through smart decision-making.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:27 PM

There were a few things I could have done better tbh; like having an ag4 guy handle the ball on the last three turns, or caging up for a turn instead of trying to pass the ball out. But having said that, the game was a good example of how an underdog player can really hold their own through smart decision-making.

I always prefer to play for a win first and draw second, even if that means a chance to lose, so I can't fault a whole lot. The two main things were probably moving your vampire too far for the catch when (which would have cut down the need for GFI and the re-roll you use on the GFI), and not using a couple of other thralls to cage the area loosely in case of a scatter throw.

You overextended a little both times he scored, but the game would have been over if you caught the ball on the blitz, so you have to give the dice their due.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #539 on: January 18, 2011, 12:14:02 PM

I didn't realize dodging away was +1 with no tackle zone mods if dodging away into an 'empty' square (no tackle zones). No wonder I got so abused by the Amazons.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: January 18, 2011, 05:57:32 PM

7 Deadly took an Ugly 2-0 win from Undread Fiesta. Both halves turned into a slugfest over the ball along one sideline, and both ended in one of my skinks dodging out of the melee and outrunning the slower undead to the endzone. Victory was not without cost, though: I now have a skink with 1 strength and a saurus missing next game, with no reserves. NiX, on the other hand, had a poor ghoul get ripped to shreds by the crowd.

Adding insult to injury, all of the casualties NiX sustained were inflicted by the crowd, so the only SPP I earned during the game was from my two TDs. And NiX's MVP was the very same ghoul that got killed, so he gets even more screwed in the SPP department.

Very messy way to start the season for both of us, though at least I made enough winnings to patch up my roster or maybe buy an apothecary. Replay is uploaded to BB Manager.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: January 18, 2011, 06:26:44 PM

Game Day #2 is ON!

All games have to be played BEFORE January 29th

For schedules, see in game. It's too late and I need sleep, but I'll post some stuff tomorrow.

IMPORTANT: For all of you who upload your games on BBManager. First of all, thank you. You save me lots of work. Second, please use f13 name for coach names. I manually fixed them now, so it's not a big deal, but don't use ingame name or anything, just the f13 name of that person, capitalizing the first letter (even though it's not on f13). Thank you.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:40 PM

7 Deadly took an Ugly 2-0 win from Undread Fiesta. Both halves turned into a slugfest over the ball along one sideline, and both ended in one of my skinks dodging out of the melee and outrunning the slower undead to the endzone.

My scouts were in the audience, hoping to prepare Negative Capability for a proper Undead slaughter next game -- but for some reason most of the notes they sent back have to do with the Lizard team. 'Psychotic skink ball carrier blitzes towards sideline!!!!!' recurred several times, with increasing numbers of underlines.

(I think somewhere in the first half I actually said, out loud, 'what the hell is he doing!' when one or another of your ball carriers leapt forward directly into a line of Undead. And yet somehow it (mostly) worked out.

Good job on the ghoul, too -- I was getting worried by the end -- though honestly a 'miss next game' would have been adequate.)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: January 18, 2011, 09:27:29 PM

Game Day 2 got off to an interesting start. Elves and Rats went at it, and the winners were the fans. It ended a 3 -3 draw with the Rats scraping back from a 3-1 deficit at half time.

Tele opened up early after I over extended on a blitz, losing my defensive line with a gutter runner failing to dodge through (very stupid move, in hindsight). He used the blitz on the rat that got the kick and passed and ran it down the pitch quickly.

Rats leveled it up with a similar pitch length run, putting it back at 1-1.

Teleku then ran in another, this time the defence was left open because I forgot about the timer and didn't have time to pull a lineman back to cover a hole.

Desperate to level before half time the rats made a fast break with the thrower needing to pull off a 4+ pass (with pass) nuffle laughed in my face by not only failing the first roll, but making the second a 1, causing the ball to fall in an area not protected by the rats loose screen. As a result the elves run in an easy third just before the half. Making everyone very sad indeed (apart from Tele).

The second opened with a bang, the rats running the ball in to keep things interesting at 3-2. Tele took the next kickoff and looked to regain the advantage quickly, throwing players deep into the skaven half. The rats made the signal to their man in the crowd and laughed in expectation of the lone ball carrier exploding deep in defence with nothing but a gutter runner in position to take advantage. But that didn't happen. The spell fizzled and sparked and the elf ran about his merry way unscathed.

The rats would like their money refended please thank you very much. Given that the elves obtained 3 rerolls from kickoff events in the first half, and another one in the second, the rats would also like a formal enquiry into the refs conduct.

The rats kept their chins up however and managed to run in another touchdown before the game was done. Thee was no time left for anyone to score, though the elves gave it their best, so the game ended in an unsatisfying tie for all concerned.

Both teams came through unscathed, there were only 14 injury rolls for the game (9 inflicted by the rats) and no one got injured, but the teams will have to be very lucky to make the playoffs after opening up the season with such disappointing results.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:34:37 PM by lamaros »
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:33 AM

Alive not Dead vs Merely a Fleshwound: 3 - 0.

To make a long game short, I'd have done better if I had sent my whole team off the pitch.  I did get a couple really nice passes off, but unfortunately my ghouls couldn't catch the ball if I duct taped it to their hands.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: January 19, 2011, 09:48:26 AM

Game Day #1, Scores and Standings.

Scores:

Standings:

Battletech Division

* 2 matches played.

Cthulhu Division

Stormbringer Division

Twilight 2000 Division

** All relevant info updated in the OP. You can always find up to date Scores and Standings there **
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:54:37 AM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:21 AM

Player stats:

Team stats:

** All relevant info updated in the OP. You can always find up to date Scores and Standings there **

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:47 AM

We are currently Playing.....
Game Day #2
** All games have to be played BEFORE January 29th **

** All games have to be played BEFORE January 29th **

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:04 AM

So in the actual game the season stats are the same as the career stats. Is this because Season 2 still hasn't been deleted so it's considering the stats from last season still active in this season?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: January 19, 2011, 10:35:02 AM

Good question. I have no idea MA. To be honest, I think it's a bug. My team had zero on everything in Season stats before first match, now they got their stats combined with the Career stats. Doesn't make any sense, and I don't think you have to delete old Leagues. Weird.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:46:35 AM by Falconeer »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: January 19, 2011, 10:45:31 AM

Well do we need season 2 still up for some reason or can we delete it?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: January 19, 2011, 10:48:34 AM

Done. Let's see what happens.

Edit, 5 minutes later: nothing.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: January 19, 2011, 10:55:45 AM

What a crummy bug.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #553 on: January 19, 2011, 01:24:35 PM

Dwarves vs. skink-shaped smears on the ground is tentatively scheduled for tomorrow night.  Heart

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: January 19, 2011, 03:27:46 PM

So was that long list of predictions from 10 pages ago accurate? Got another one for this weeks matches?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: January 19, 2011, 03:37:48 PM

Or we can make updated weekly prediction threads on the subforum.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: January 19, 2011, 04:45:51 PM

Personally I like that I can get career hall of fame in game and season hall of fame from Falconeer's league.jpg posts.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #557 on: January 19, 2011, 05:07:51 PM

Did you actually get a subforum or is this you guys dragging it out?
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #558 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:30 PM

Personally I like that I can get career hall of fame in game and season hall of fame from Falconeer's league.jpg posts.

It's interesting to see Teleku's star thrower stand out for passing and rushing yards.

I might make a predictions post later but no apothecary is nervewracking.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:28 PM

Did you actually get a subforum or is this you guys dragging it out?

Wait, f13 has a frontpage?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - ** f13 League, Season #3 **  
Jump to: