Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629574 times)
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:57 AM

Damn. Somebody knows me pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #176 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:57 AM

First trailer with in-game footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #177 on: February 24, 2011, 07:43:19 AM

Oh mah achin' pc.

As much as I think the franchise has been weakening over the years...the viking in me says buy buy buy.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: February 24, 2011, 07:47:59 AM

Damn it.   

I hated Oblivion, but this is calling my name, probably because they used the god damn Morrowind theme, and I loved that game.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #179 on: February 24, 2011, 07:50:59 AM

Yeah, if it is anything like that they're likely getting both a PC and PS3 sale from me.  It just *looks* like something I'm going to play for a long time.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: February 24, 2011, 07:59:42 AM

What little I've seen of the man-vs.-dragon fights has been pretty goddamned epic. Better than they have any right to be, given that they can fly and you can't. (Or at least you can't in what they've revealed so far.)

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #181 on: February 24, 2011, 08:08:16 AM

I'd still like to see a closeup of more of the people, see if they have gotten away from populating the entire nation with characters that make Peter Lorre look atractive. That being said, this trailer still deserves at least a reserved *squee*.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #182 on: February 24, 2011, 09:12:00 AM

The combat in Elder Scrolls game always makes me sad.

Somehow I think the way they depict the dragon fight won't come close to the actual experience.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:03 AM

Do want.

No Viking roots here, but I have a flashback to the days of yore in Everfrost!  awesome, for real
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: February 24, 2011, 10:44:27 AM

I missed being able to explore other cultures in Tamriel. Arena was kinda great like that. But it's more economical to focus on one region.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #185 on: February 24, 2011, 11:23:51 AM

I'm sure I will buy this just to be disappointed in it as always. Here's hoping they learned enough lessons about what they did right in FO3 vs. Morrowind/Oblivion that I will be wrong about that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: February 24, 2011, 08:26:30 PM

It's always one step forward two back with Bethesda.

My inner viking isn't painting his face with woad, donning his berserkr, and chewing his shield yet.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #187 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38:22 PM

I'm intrigued. I have a sudden need for fur and wenches.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: February 24, 2011, 08:54:23 PM

my what do we have here?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:35 PM

my what do we have here?
Pedobear prefers his wenches without fur.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:14 PM

We don't have a yiff emote.

I closed my browser just after I posted.  Then the entendre hit.  Well played sir, well played.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:40:59 PM by Sheepherder »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: February 25, 2011, 10:43:11 AM

my what do we have here?
Pedobear prefers his wenches without fur.

Bethsoft has claimed that this edition will have children in it.  Combine that with the known fact that the first mod to any Bethsoft game is a full nudity mod and  this guy looks legit is appropriate.

edit:  I literally can't wait for the shitstorm that comes up once a youtube video of someone killing a naked child in the game hits the news.  You'll see that footage 40 times a day for a week.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:49:09 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 25, 2011, 03:32:59 PM

Furry naked children.  This will end well.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #193 on: February 25, 2011, 03:57:26 PM

Furry naked children.  This will end well.

Furry naked children?

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #194 on: February 26, 2011, 08:42:50 PM

I never got into the series before 3, so I went and downloaded Daggerfall since it's free. Once you get past the Doom graphics and configure the interface into something useful, this is actually pretty awesome.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #195 on: February 26, 2011, 09:12:23 PM

I never got into the series before 3, so I went and downloaded Daggerfall since it's free. Once you get past the Doom graphics and configure the interface into something useful, this is actually pretty awesome.

Radicalthon time?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #196 on: February 27, 2011, 02:33:58 AM

Nah, it's not really that type of game. I'm just a solo dude running around fighting in dungeons to get loot, doing randomly-generated quests. There's no Imoen for me to stab in the face, No Drizzt for me to mug, no narrative for me to subvert. Baldur's Gate was a really unique game in that it presented a complex story but still let you do whatever the fuck you wanted. It's a combination that not even Bioware does anymore. KOTOR might have let me be a Sith Lord, but if it had as much freedom as BG, I would have chopped Carth's head off five seconds after meeting him and replaced him with a player-created character written as a necrophiliac. Just because.

But you know, it's okay. Not every game has to have a huge story. Whatever story there is in Daggerfall? I'm not looking for it. I'm having a lot of fun being a random dude looking for fortune and glory in a vast world that doesn't give a crap about him. It's a nice change.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:35:41 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 27, 2011, 04:58:37 PM

Radicalthon time?

Can't have a party in Daggerfall, and can't mod one in.  Morrowind and Oblivion, on the other hand...
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: February 28, 2011, 03:36:51 AM

I really tend to find party members to be a nuisance rather than something I enjoy having, I'll be glad to play through Skyrim solo.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: February 28, 2011, 04:32:29 AM

The combat in Elder Scrolls game always makes me sad.

Somehow I think the way they depict the dragon fight won't come close to the actual experience.
This a million times.

I do love how they handle bow and arrow use, but swordplay always felt weak and chaotic to me. Just walking around exploring things and talking to people in Oblivion was always pretty nifty, and I in fact ended up just doing that more than fighting, almost ignoring the fighting aspect altogether with the random sniping of some woodland creatures.

edit: to fix my hamfisted typing

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 28, 2011, 04:33:42 AM

Oblivion sucked the sweat off a dead mans balls.  This trailer looks exactly like Oblivion.

No.

Thanks.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: February 28, 2011, 04:44:57 AM

I enjoyed Oblivion but not really that much as a game. The fun in it for me was just running around the world and seeing random crap, some of the side quests had cool stories and I enjoyed customising my character with spells and magic items (the RPG equivalent of playing dress up). The mechanics really never drew me (or I imagine anyone) in, whether I'll enjoy this game is going to come down to whether they've implemented more enjoyable mechanics or managed to add in an awesome story. Without either of those then there's probably not much in this that I haven't already done and frankly the story is not likely to be particularly strong based on track record and the trailer.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: February 28, 2011, 11:54:29 AM

I really tend to find party members to be a nuisance rather than something I enjoy having, I'll be glad to play through Skyrim solo.

If you're not in the least bit interested about balance or sanity, you can set NPC companions flagged as essential.  In fact, I'd say that Oblivion / Skyrim (probably) makes one hell of a game for Badicalthons due to the essential flag, the fact that the AI responds to friendly fire with drops in disposition, that drops in disposition can result in spontaneous combat, and the fact that the AI's ability to aim a fireball or arrow is absolutely abysmal.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:01:00 PM by Sheepherder »
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #203 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:00 PM

Oblivion sucked the sweat off a dead mans balls.  This trailer looks exactly like Oblivion.

No.

Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSbetnaD0A

Doesn't look like things have necessarily changed that much beyond the fact that graphics are a bit better now than then. vOv

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 28, 2011, 01:42:55 PM

No.

Thanks.

This.

Also, where are people getting the 'OMFG DRAGON BATTLES' shit from? Hidden under all the bad camera angles, flapping wings, and manic cutting all I see is a bunch of  generic_nonconnecting_sword_swing and generic_flame_breath.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: March 01, 2011, 04:35:45 AM

No.

Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSbetnaD0A

Doesn't look like things have necessarily changed that much beyond the fact that graphics are a bit better now than then. vOv

You're technically correct, while at the same time not right.

Comparing any of the other games they've done (which, yes, has always been The Same Damn Game) to Oblivion is to miss out on what made up to Morrowind great and made Oblivion suck donkeys.  Indeed, the very fact that they constantly pursue graphics while eroding gameplay and leaving other things entirely unchanged from Arena is part of the problem here.

I have more sympathy for Arena being 'Omg, you swing a sword and decrease a healthbar' way back when than I do Skyrim 'Omg, you swing a sword and decrease a healthbar'.  This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.  Therefore, I don't mind pointing it out to you.

Also.  Console.

That's all I'm saying.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #206 on: March 01, 2011, 06:42:07 AM

Comparing any of the other games they've done (which, yes, has always been The Same Damn Game) to Oblivion is to miss out on what made up to Morrowind great and made Oblivion suck donkeys.  Indeed, the very fact that they constantly pursue graphics while eroding gameplay and leaving other things entirely unchanged from Arena is part of the problem here.

I have more sympathy for Arena being 'Omg, you swing a sword and decrease a healthbar' way back when than I do Skyrim 'Omg, you swing a sword and decrease a healthbar'.
And all I'm really seeing from that trailer is that we'll be able to fight with a sword from the first perspective, and that the graphics aren't going to suck too badly. I couldn't even decide if it was recorded on a console, and I certainly couldn't see if they had an autobalancing problem like oblivion had. Hell, it could easily have been Two Worlds 2 we were seeing here.

But what would they have to do to make you go "ooh, this looks interesting", then? Because last time I played one of these games (admittedly a very very long time ago), the story was more interesting to me than the actual fighting mechanics.

This should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.  Therefore, I don't mind pointing it out to you.
Classy. awesome, for real

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #207 on: March 01, 2011, 06:56:17 AM

This just in, Scots are dicks.

I liked Oblivion except for the stupid portal popping. Someone needs to pull the head Elder Scrolls guy aside and tell him that vaunted main story you love so much? Yeah most people consider that an annoying chore that gets in the way of the actual fun.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:33 AM

I hope they learned from Fallout and Skyrim will rock.

I liked the sandbox part of Oblivion, only the main quest, the UI, the leveling system and the mob scaling were retarded. The rest, though...  awesome, for real
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: March 01, 2011, 07:48:34 AM

I liked Oblivion, a lot; much more than Morrowind which I never finished. My two big beefs with Oblivion were the retarded mob scaling and the repetitive gate closing, which I ended up just training through to the keystone while spamming heals on myself after the third or fourth one.

Despite the hate here, Oblivion was massively popular and for many (console gamers particularly) it was their first RPG; a whole generation of gamers who had previously only played Madden and Halo picked it up because it played like an FPS. It helped that Oblivion launched on the 360 which was (is?) the market leading console, unlike Morrowind on the original Xbox.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: