Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629708 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3150 on: May 15, 2013, 07:13:27 PM

RK47's world really is a better place to live than the one I currently reside.

-Rasix
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #3151 on: May 15, 2013, 07:15:16 PM

For Teleku from Potatoland

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3152 on: July 19, 2013, 09:15:28 AM

I finished up the main story of Dragonborn after purchasing it in the Steam Sale. It's a really well done expansion. I loved the idea of adding a whole new island that goes back to your Morrowind nostalgia. The architecture and music really fits, and the island is very big. I haven't explored even half of it, and I've still put in at least 20 hours at this point. You can also tame and ride dragons, and visit the realm of the Daedric Lord of Forbidden Knowledge. The story flows well, but I think the antagonist is a bit meh. The fun is in the exploration more than anything.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3153 on: July 19, 2013, 09:19:52 AM

The fun is in the exploration more than anything.
Welcome to the entire Elder Scrolls Franchise.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3154 on: July 19, 2013, 11:17:40 AM

To be honest the Dragonborn island felt a little small to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3155 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:47 PM

In comparison to the main map, yeah. In comparison to other expansion things from the past? I think it was pretty cool and varied.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3156 on: July 19, 2013, 03:41:04 PM

Wasn't there a mod pack for this that included several improvements?  Maybe it was over in the what are you playing thread.  Since I own it properly, I'm thinking I need to mod it up.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #3157 on: July 20, 2013, 03:17:26 AM

In comparison to the main map, yeah. In comparison to other expansion things from the past? I think it was pretty cool and varied.

It seemed quite a bit larger than the previous version of the island that shipped with Morrowind.
It was the same island wasn't it? Or is my memory playing tricks.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3158 on: July 20, 2013, 01:34:38 PM

It was added in Bloodmoon, yes.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3159 on: July 25, 2013, 10:35:25 AM

Does the story line on this pick up and get somewhat compelling?  I'm trudging through the first part of this now and am not feeling it so far (I'm level 12).  If not I may put it down and play something else for a bit.
Rasix

Reply #3160 on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:00 AM

It's a better story than Morrowind or Oblivion, but it still really isn't that good.  It's not a reason to play, the world is.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3161 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:06 AM

The main story (as usual in most TES games) kind of sucks. I actually like the story in the expansions better than the main, and I love the story in the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild better than both of those.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3162 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:54 AM

Yeah. I wonder why it always seems to work out like that with Bethesda games?  If they could provide an amazing main story along with their amazing world they'd have everything.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3163 on: July 25, 2013, 11:15:42 AM

The main story blew large, meaty chunks.  After making it to Whitebridge I discovered I was playing for the side quests, not the story. I accidentally finished the game thinking I was on a side quest until I got someone calling me the Dragonborn.  I figured "Meh, I'm level 45, may as well finish this out."

End dragon was a wuss.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3164 on: July 25, 2013, 11:21:49 AM

The reason the main stories are never very compelling in Bethesda RPGs is because they aren't any good at characterization. There are no characters you really care about, because the characters have no depth to them, and you don't really have any opportunity to carve out a personality for your own character, at least not one that's particularly reflected in the game world or how people react to you. It's further exacerbated by the fact that you meet 23 guys with the same voice actor, so that also really hurts any one character's chance to seem unique or interesting.

They're great at world building and area design, so the exploration aspects are awesome, but you can't make people care about a story unless they care about the characters.

There are a couple places where they managed to give you characters that were interesting enough to care about, and not surprisingly they're spots where the characters have unique voice actors and enough screen time to actually give you some inkling of what they're about beyond a superficial level - Dawnguard, because of Serana, the Thieves' Guild quest line, and the Dark Brotherhood quest line. Pretty much these are the ones you'll see people praising anywhere Skyrim is being discussed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:24:46 AM by Ingmar »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #3165 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:00 PM

Yeah, seriously, for all the effort they put into their games, I cannot fathom why they don't spend the money to at least quadruple the voice actors.  It can't be that much more fucking expensive, and it has a massive impact on the game.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:41:05 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3166 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:32 PM

I sort of liked the ruler of Whiterun as a character and got a bit interested in seeing how his fate played out. But really, open-world games almost have to have weak main plots because they have to stay open to such a wide range of choices on the player's part. If you had a very strong story, you'd have to constrain choices to a significant degree or you'd have to really do something that almost no one has, which is write a strong story that also has a great many multiple outcomes and branching points.

But the Elder Scrolls games definitely could have much stronger *characters*, that much I'd agree with, just for the sake of atmosphere.
Rasix

Reply #3167 on: July 25, 2013, 01:48:05 PM

Yeah, seriously, for all the effort they put into their games, I cannot fathom why they don't spend the money to at least quadrupedal the voice actors.  It can't be that much more fucking expensive, and it has a massive impact on the game.

I don't see how horses would help here.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3168 on: July 25, 2013, 01:51:23 PM

Maybe if we gave them some kind of armor?

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3169 on: July 25, 2013, 01:58:11 PM

But the Elder Scrolls games definitely could have much stronger *characters*, that much I'd agree with, just for the sake of atmosphere.

I dunno, it's really hard these days to establish characters without scripted cutscenes, which TES has been stingy with because they're super resource intensive to make and they tend to conflict with the open nature of the games.  I'd love to see some deeper, more interesting characters, but not at the expense of constraining what the player can do.  If you want to go down that road, there are already plenty of other games that do the whole scripted content thing fairly well, while there are very, very few that do open worlds as deep as Bethesda.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3170 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:40 PM

I played the ever living hell out of the newest Fallout titles.  Skyrim is awfully similar, so far, even to the point where I feel like I'm playing the same game.  I actually enjoyed the campy storylines in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.  Hell, I even enjoyed the story in Mass Effect and Dragon Age.  Maybe, for me, it's the massive, massive world for exploration that I just don't have time to explore.  I find that when you can't cut a big chunk off of things in 30 minutes to an hour the game definitely loses something in the overall context of what you're trying to do. 
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3171 on: July 25, 2013, 04:51:51 PM

It's not just characters they suck at, it's narratives generally. They have very little nuance and have a lot of structural issues.

Those in the know (stormwaltz?), do these companies ever hire editors on the creative side? Or is the just a general role that is part of the workflow of the various writers and creative heads? I'd imagine a good structural editor would be able to bring a lot - though perhaps not enough to be worth the cost. Then again, given the amount they pay for everything else in these games...
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #3172 on: July 25, 2013, 06:18:30 PM

Yeah, seriously, for all the effort they put into their games, I cannot fathom why they don't spend the money to at least quadrupedal the voice actors.  It can't be that much more fucking expensive, and it has a massive impact on the game.

I don't see how horses would help here.

"Wilbur, come in the room."

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #3173 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:18 AM

Assholes.   awesome, for real

Though damn, that was a hell of a typo....

-Stephen Colbert
Nayr
Terracotta Army

Reply #3174 on: July 26, 2013, 08:13:56 PM

I agree on the voice actors thing.

The voice talent they have in Skyrim is nice, but I kinda laugh to myself when seeing Ralof and Hod both talking to Gerdur and having the same voice. They should have given Hod the Farkas voice. They should at least have arranged it so there weren't multiple instances of the same voice in one town.

Also on Skyrim's story: It's starting to look more and more like siding with the Stormcloaks is a good idea.

Anybody who has ever read the Nu-Mantia Intercept and the Altmeri Commentary on Talos would have a pretty good understanding of the Thalmor's motives behind the Great War and the ban on Talos Worship.

Long story short, mundus is stabilized by seven towers, each tied to a powerful stone. The towers are supposedly what keeps the mortal world and oblivion separated. Some examples are Red Mountain and the Heart of Lorkhan from Morrowins, and the White-Gold Tower and the Amulet of Kings from Oblivion. And if all the towers are deactivated, I would assume "hell on earth" to be an appropriate metaphor for what would happen.

What the Thalmor want: When Lorkhan tricked the divines into creating Nirn, the gods known as the Aldmer were trapped within, and the Altmer/High Elves descend from them. And they believe that being trapped in mundus is the only thing keeping them from having the power and immortality of their ancestors. So the Thalmor's plan is to deactivate all of the towers, believing that it will grant them what they feel Lorkhan robbed them of.

And the Thalmor believe, according to the Commentary, that removing Talos from the Divinity, and the complete genocide of the human race(Imperials, Nords, Bretons) are a part of accomplishing that.

But where they might be wrong: Mankar Camoran's notion that Lorkhan was a Daedric Prince and Tamriel is his plane of Oblivion is not without evidence according to Michael Kirkbride, and if Camoran is right, then all of the lore everyone believes is false(Including the Altmer's god-ancestry) and deactivating the towers could have a completely unforeseen effect.

One possibility to consider is that the towers are what keeps Lorkhan "dead" or "inert" as it were(right now, he's stuck babysitting Sovngarde and being called Shor by the Nords). And undoing the towers frees him and returns him to power over the realm. And what he would do in that case is probably not good.

I support the right to arm bears.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3175 on: July 27, 2013, 06:38:00 AM

Rather than have 5-10 people each doing voice acting for a ton of characters, I'd rather have a few really important characters voiced in an interesting manner and the rest of the garbage NPCs silent. Fully voiced shopkeepers is not a selling point for me.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3176 on: July 27, 2013, 07:20:57 AM

Rather than have 5-10 people each doing voice acting for a ton of characters, I'd rather have a few really important characters voiced in an interesting manner and the rest of the garbage NPCs silent. Fully voiced shopkeepers is not a selling point for me.

F- all that. Fully voiced is best.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #3177 on: July 27, 2013, 12:52:49 PM

Agreed.  I think Skyrim does a good job of balancing the scales between voice acting for main characters while still providing voices for less important NPCs.  I also use the Interesting NPCs mod to add additional voice-acted NPCs to the world to spice things up a bit.  Some of the volunteer voice actors are green and don't do a good job at it, but most of them are at least competent.  I consider it to be an overall gain to install the mod.
Nayr
Terracotta Army

Reply #3178 on: July 28, 2013, 07:34:24 PM

Well, almost a week ago, when I was playing Skyrim. I had an... unusual circumstance with two bears during a fight and thought I'd get a pic of it.

DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3179 on: July 28, 2013, 09:06:02 PM

I've been playing obsessively for the past two weeks - I only just picked it up during the Steam sale - and I have to echo some of the other criticisms here: repeating the voice actors ruins my immersion.  Especially that guy who voices the General in Castle in the Sky.  Ugh.
Nayr
Terracotta Army

Reply #3180 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:04 PM

I've been playing obsessively for the past two weeks - I only just picked it up during the Steam sale - and I have to echo some of the other criticisms here: repeating the voice actors ruins my immersion.  Especially that guy who voices the General in Castle in the Sky.  Ugh.

Jim Cummings is a voice acting legend. He's had well over a hundred roles in his lifetime. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Cummings

The General in Castle in the Sky is minor comparing to being the voice of Pooh and Tigger from Winnie the Pooh for the last two decades. Or Razoul in Aladdin.

Not to mention he was Patriarch in Mass Effect 2.

DeathInABottle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3181 on: July 29, 2013, 10:56:16 AM

Yeah, I imdb'd him.  I'm fine with his work as a voice actor, but he reprises the absurd voice from that General role - and it really is absurd - for a couple of parts in Skyrim.  As I said, it's immersion-ruining.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3182 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:54 AM

So is looking to the left or right of your screen.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3183 on: July 29, 2013, 11:21:03 AM

So is looking to the left or right of your screen.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Nayr
Terracotta Army

Reply #3184 on: July 29, 2013, 11:45:44 AM

Yeah, I imdb'd him.  I'm fine with his work as a voice actor, but he reprises the absurd voice from that General role - and it really is absurd - for a couple of parts in Skyrim.  As I said, it's immersion-ruining.

It's just a deeper version of his normal voice. Not that big a deal.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: