Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:28:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 626666 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2765 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:04 AM

Honestly, the game doesn't need mods.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2766 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:21 AM

I could do that, but I was providing Nexus links and trying to describe what each one added. The titles tend to be either so cryptic or so generic it's difficult to tell at a glance what they do. (For example, the "Bring Out Your Dead" mod adds graveyards near towns, and buries local NPCs in them if they're slain.)

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2767 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:23 AM

I could do that, but I was providing Nexus links and trying to describe what each one added. The titles tend to be either so cryptic or so generic it's difficult to tell at a glance what they do. (For example, the "Bring Out Your Dead" mod adds graveyards near towns, and buries local NPCs in them if they're slain.)

Oh I see. Well, whenever you get to it. I wouldn't want to stress you, I have been told deadlines are a sensitive topic with game developers. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2768 on: October 02, 2012, 03:32:20 PM

Lies.  There are a number of items with wrong keywords, which causes jankiness with perks dependent upon item type (smithing, light armour, heavy armour).  I demand the full smithing perk bonus for my unique item sets, dammit!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2769 on: October 02, 2012, 03:34:28 PM

I'm talking about the normal human threshold for 'need', not 'need' in Sheepherder world.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #2770 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:57 PM

I got interrupted by something for some reason or another and haven't managed to get back into it.  I'll note that it's also on sale today as part of the Steam Mid-Week madness sale.  Dawnguard is 30%, but enh, fighting vampires sucks ass and I'm not sure I want an entire expansion devoted to that bullshit.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #2771 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:58 AM

I would disagree. At the very least you should take one of the two magic system mods, because as in every game they have ever made the magic system in Skyrim doesn't scale properly at all and without the ability to make your own spells to off-set that problem heavy magic using characters end up substantially weaker than other classes and reduced to spamming spells for impact alone.

There's also a huge ton of mods out there to improve the graphical quality on the PC - I just got back into Skyrim after playing it on the consoles and you can really improve the overall look and feel of the game in a hundred different subtle ways. (As well as the not so subtle like the hi def textures pack Bethesda released).

It is however certainly a hell of a lot more stable and 'stand alone' ish than Oblivion, which was basically fucked without mods.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2772 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:14 AM

Dawnguard is 30%, but enh, fighting vampires sucks ass and I'm not sure I want an entire expansion devoted to that bullshit.

There is actually quite a bit more than just vampire slayer quests.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2773 on: October 03, 2012, 09:00:53 AM

Did Hearthfire come out on PC yet?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2774 on: October 03, 2012, 03:42:46 PM

No.

Will be announced next week, or so goes the rumor.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2775 on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:41 PM

Just a follow-up to Maledict: I'm doing a mage right now without many magic affecting mods, and goddamn it is painful.  There's too much vital shit locked away in perks and spell tomes for your damage and efficiency not to suck once you start accumulating levels, and you can't really do enchanting cheese until the endgame.

You can, however, completely ignore magic.

Also, I refuse to call it magicka.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2776 on: October 04, 2012, 07:36:52 AM

I like playing mages, but the default amount of mana in the TES games just sucks, IMO.  So I usually cheat (via gear or via console) to give myself about 400, which seems to do the trick.  In Skyrim, though, we can't increase the DPS of spells via making our own, so that sucks.  Only thing I could do, without mods, was to cheese-enchant a set of resists and HP cloth that puts my mage at about 50% everything, but he's still vulnerable to melee attacks.  So that gives me time to cast fire bolt 50 times and whittle enemies to death, as long as I stay out of melee somehow.

EDIT:  Also used the console to set enchanting, smithing, alchemy, and speech to 100.  Didn't want to level up from selling stuff and casually playing with the recipes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:38:50 AM by ajax34i »
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #2777 on: October 04, 2012, 10:01:05 AM

I've been playing a mage and it was weak until I unlocked the stagger when dual cast. After that it was stun-lock enemies and blast them down. Staggers dragons too. Paralyze is a total "I win" button. Pacify is also very useful as crowd control.

I did rush enchanting to 100  so I could get destruction on four pieces. With potions I made them with 29% mana reduction. Currently wearing: destr/alt, destr/rest, destr/ill, destr/magic resist. I rarely use summons or followers, they just get in the way. I'll occasionally bust out dual storm atronachs or daedra just for giggles.

Combined with expert levels in all but destr and a 2 mana/1 hp leveling I have plenty of mana to cast and I'm just squishy enough for things to be dangerous still without being one shot all over the place. Deathlords with ebony bow and arrows still a big danger, but in a fun way.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2778 on: October 04, 2012, 11:11:28 AM

I'll just leave a link to this free, player-made mod here: Build Your Own Home

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2779 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:21 AM

Hearthfire is out!

Positively surprised by the price, 4.99 €. After Dawnguard I expected 10€ or more.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #2780 on: October 05, 2012, 03:50:38 PM

I keep getting confused by people confusing dlc and expansions.

In my view at least for example Oblivion, dlc = horse armour while expansion = shivering isles.

On a mod note I can just barely get open cities working with ugrid despite one or two crashes when approaching a city. The dual parry mod also allows me to level up via blocking as nature attended, yay me!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2781 on: October 05, 2012, 04:05:01 PM

In my view at least for example Oblivion, dlc = horse armour while expansion = shivering isles.

The line isn't really clear anymore.  The only functional difference is that DLC is downloadable, while an expansion might not be.  Steam, for example, explicitly lists it all content that requires the base game to use as DLC (even content that isn't strictly content for the game, like soundtracks).
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2782 on: October 05, 2012, 07:01:40 PM

I think I probably need some sort of professional help.

...In the meantime, I'll be terrorizing the villagers with a legendary wooden sword.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2783 on: October 06, 2012, 05:33:48 AM

On a mod note I can just barely get open cities working with ugrid despite one or two crashes when approaching a city. The dual parry mod also allows me to level up via blocking as nature attended, yay me!

I know the difference just fine. Besides Kail is correct about stating its a distinction that gets increasingly blurred or meaningless.
What I meant to say is that Dawnguards price/value ratio is out of whack, whether you want to call it a bare-bone expansion or an overpriced DLC.

---

That aside, after spending a good 2 days finding mods and tuning the game I am clocking at 65 individual .esps and .esms. Some playtesting to see if it's all stable and I am ready to play! Weee!  why so serious?

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2784 on: October 06, 2012, 05:39:59 AM

I think I probably need some sort of professional help.

Are we talking a shrink or mod-support? In both cases I can help, I am a very good listener!

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #2785 on: October 06, 2012, 06:38:28 PM

Expansions in my mind tend to be 1/4 or a half of the original game that they are expanding and tend to be able to be bought in store [old school these days I know].

Downloaded hearthfire, I hope it doesn't crash on me ^-^
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2786 on: October 06, 2012, 11:02:56 PM

The listening sort.  I went from "Wooden sword, neat!" to "Can I stab things with it?" at an alarming speed.

Dawnguard is worth $20 between the vampire/werewolf changes, various dungeons and forgotten vale, the neat new gear, and the boss fights (The twin dragons?  Fuck yes.  More of that please).
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2787 on: October 07, 2012, 08:02:58 AM

Will dawnguard vampires be wiping out towns?  I have been waiting to pick up that addition but do not want to break the game. 
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2788 on: October 07, 2012, 08:08:38 AM

I still haven't finished the main storyline, but downloaded dawnguard.

On a recent fast travel back to Riften (working on the Thieves' Guild stuff), I had to get involved in a vampire attack on the merchants. Fortunately, it was just the butch lady armor vendor, so no big deal.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2789 on: October 07, 2012, 03:29:15 PM

Put me in the Dawnguard being fine for $20 camp. I got a lot of play out of it.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2790 on: October 07, 2012, 04:09:59 PM

Will dawnguard vampires be wiping out towns?  I have been waiting to pick up that addition but do not want to break the game.

Most of the time they'll focus on you and the guards before they decide to kill random townspeople.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2791 on: October 08, 2012, 10:41:42 AM

I thought the bigger issue was that they could randomly attack towns that you weren't in/near, slaying their occupants without you having a chance to save them.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2792 on: October 08, 2012, 10:58:25 AM

That would be news to me.  Far as I can tell, they're handled like bandits, in that they only "exist" when you're around.  I haven't heard anything about a script or anything that straight up randomly kills off NPCs in distant towns, that would be a pretty severe dick move.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2793 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:23 PM

I certainly have never seen anything like that happen.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2794 on: October 08, 2012, 01:12:03 PM

The Hall of the Vigilant gets wiped out, but it doesn't do anything anyways.

The random attacks only occur near where the player is.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:14:36 PM by Sheepherder »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2795 on: October 08, 2012, 03:52:45 PM

Depending on settings, some cells can stay loaded into memory despite the player not being near them, which I assume can lead to the "vampires wiping out places" thing some have experienced.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2796 on: October 09, 2012, 01:29:57 AM

Depending on settings, some cells can stay loaded into memory despite the player not being near them...

I have never heard of or seen anything that suggests that is happening.  Some references will stay persistent when they're being referred to by a property or function, but the cell itself and everything in it not also affected by the script will unload.

Besides which, the vampire attacks are spawned only when the player approaches a node.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:02:03 AM by Sheepherder »
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2797 on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:51 PM

Picked up the expansions and installed this yesterday.  Still working on mods and compatibility, but the game is progressing.  Something odd and new happened.  When I got to the first dragon attack and you are ordered to go outside to that keep and defend it, a bunch of stormcloaks came into the hall, killed the generic guards, and ran out.  I saw more of these fights out in the street.  I do not think I have any mods that would cause this to happen, most of mine are new locations or quests.  Is this normal now?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2798 on: October 09, 2012, 04:19:15 PM

Picked up the expansions and installed this yesterday.  Still working on mods and compatibility, but the game is progressing.  Something odd and new happened.  When I got to the first dragon attack and you are ordered to go outside to that keep and defend it, a bunch of stormcloaks came into the hall, killed the generic guards, and ran out.  I saw more of these fights out in the street.  I do not think I have any mods that would cause this to happen, most of mine are new locations or quests.  Is this normal now?

I just progressed past this part and haven't noticed anything unusual. No civil war fights. (running Dawnguard and Hearthfire)

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2799 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:08 PM

I've actually seen Stormcloaks take odd detours through Whiterun once before.  I'm guessing it's a navmesh/pathfinding bug.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: