Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:42:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629563 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1435 on: November 20, 2011, 02:20:12 PM

Still have an issue with some dragons not landing and I have no ranged abilities.

I did too until...

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1436 on: November 20, 2011, 02:28:16 PM

Question regarding the Blades quests,

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1437 on: November 20, 2011, 04:43:04 PM

Question regarding the Blades quests,

Yeah, you can continue it.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1438 on: November 20, 2011, 04:52:27 PM

Hmm? I've been finding power words and spending dragon souls to unlock them and haven't visited them yet either.
That's odd. I've found a few power words before the visit and collected a couple souls too, but could swear the ability to actually unlock the shouts was itself locked until i spoke with the monk guys.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1439 on: November 20, 2011, 05:37:25 PM

Hmm? I've been finding power words and spending dragon souls to unlock them and haven't visited them yet either.
That's odd. I've found a few power words before the visit and collected a couple souls too, but could swear the ability to actually unlock the shouts was itself locked until i spoke with the monk guys.

When you visit the monks, the first thing they ask is to demonstrate your power. The fact that you can proves to them that you're dragonborn. The only other people who can shout are them, and whoever they teach. And it takes years for them to learn.

What they do teach is an upgrade to one of your powers.

Why anyone wouldn't want to talk to them though is beyond me. Again, if you want story, follow the "good actors". lol. The main grey beard is Christopher Plummer. Bethesda wouldn't have cast certain people for throwaway content.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1440 on: November 20, 2011, 05:39:19 PM

Maybe you couldn't figure out the hotkey  to unlock till the little tutorial told you?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1441 on: November 20, 2011, 05:46:54 PM

Yeah, that popped up for me on my first dragonkill.

It seems like if you play this game randomly (i.e. like Oblivion or Morrowind), it's not as helpful.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1442 on: November 20, 2011, 07:19:12 PM

Armor Skills continue to be incredibly annoying to level as is Elder Scrolls tradition.

I hit like level 10 and despite being heavy armor all the way, even with me training 3 points in it I was at 26 skill or so.

So I found a mudcrab and let him beat on me for like 40 minutes, healing off and on. Got to 40 skill and level 13. Oy.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1443 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:18 PM

Maybe you couldn't figure out the hotkey  to unlock till the little tutorial told you?
Went through my older saves and figured it out -- i had originally found couple new shouts before fighting the first storyline dragon, and if you have 0 souls available the unlock hotkey isn't listed. Afterwards i've collected couple spare souls, but didn't really check the shouts menu closely for changes, and so only spotted the hotkey being present while i was swapping powers for the dash tutorial. So presumed it was visiting the Greybeards that enabled the unlock. While in reality you can indeed do it as soon as you grab some spare dragon soul.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: November 20, 2011, 07:40:10 PM

I killed another dragon but I still only have one shout unlocked, says I need more dragon souls to unlock the other one I've picked up. I dunno why, do some shouts take more than one soul?

About level 20 and I've just been doing minor sidequests around Whiterun and now Riften. Haven't even visited any other towns.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1445 on: November 20, 2011, 07:43:31 PM

Level 20 and only one shout?  awesome, for real

It's good that the game can be enjoyed in different ways though.

So far, I haven't seen anything that takes multiple souls.. although upgrading a tier of the same skill will require extra souls.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1446 on: November 20, 2011, 08:30:47 PM

game is superb.

taking off 2 days this week.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #1447 on: November 20, 2011, 08:31:26 PM

Still no AMD CAP for Crossfire. RAAAAAGE! I knew I should have went with Nvidia card, every time I get Radeon cards I heavily regret because of craptastic driver support.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1448 on: November 20, 2011, 08:33:48 PM

Level 20 and only one shout?  awesome, for real
I was 19.something when visiting the Greybeards so yeah, that's another almost level 20 with one (unupgraded even) shout, here.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1449 on: November 20, 2011, 08:57:35 PM

If you ignore the MQ completely - you won't even encounter dragons at all.
I'm level 11 with no shouts and no dragon so far.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1450 on: November 20, 2011, 09:12:01 PM

I killed another dragon but I still only have one shout unlocked, says I need more dragon souls to unlock the other one I've picked up. I dunno why, do some shouts take more than one soul?
You have to press "R" when hovering over the shout to unlock it. I know you're probably thinking "Shouldn't it offer to unlock it when I click the shout instead of just saying YOU NEED DRAGON SOULS" but that hard of thinking makes the UI designers pass out.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1451 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:45 PM

You have to press "R" when hovering over the shout to unlock it. I know you're probably thinking "Shouldn't it offer to unlock it when I click the shout instead of just saying YOU NEED DRAGON SOULS" but that hard of thinking makes the UI designers pass out.

Hmm, I will give this a go when I play next. The constant changing between E and R for similar functions is confusing. The number of things I have eaten instead of stored...
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1452 on: November 20, 2011, 09:26:11 PM

That bothers me too! When looking into a chest the default (as in left-click) action should be put in or take out, not equip/eat.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1453 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:08 PM

Armor Skills continue to be incredibly annoying to level as is Elder Scrolls tradition.
So don't worry about leveling them. I haven't consciously leveled any skill except smithing, and I have a good, focused character at level 29. Just play the game.

Edit to add: one pet peeve I have is the way soul gems fill with lower tier souls. I made a nice glass war axe of soul drinking, and now I've got a bunch of greater and grand soul gems with common and lesser souls in them :( It's a mess when I go to set up my enchantments.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:31:47 PM by Sky »
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1454 on: November 20, 2011, 09:31:09 PM

Still no AMD CAP for Crossfire. RAAAAAGE! I knew I should have went with Nvidia card, every time I get Radeon cards I heavily regret because of craptastic driver support.

What is your Crossfire?  This isn't a twitchy FPS you should be able to run it on one card just fine I'd think.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1455 on: November 20, 2011, 09:32:36 PM

Runs much better in SLI, but it was running good on my single GTX460 before the SLI driver came out, so yeah. Won't it run in single gpu mode until a fix comes out?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1456 on: November 20, 2011, 09:44:34 PM

So don't worry about leveling them. I haven't consciously leveled any skill except smithing, and I have a good, focused character at level 29. Just play the game.

Edit to add: one pet peeve I have is the way soul gems fill with lower tier souls. I made a nice glass war axe of soul drinking, and now I've got a bunch of greater and grand soul gems with common and lesser souls in them :( It's a mess when I go to set up my enchantments.

But you kinda want the perks, y'see. Planned character development is pretty much impossible. Bow attacks are highly damaging from sneak attacks, but you don't gain much skill increases due to faster kills. Compare that to one hander rising rapidly from repeated slashes at close range, we can clearly see the problem when you equate frequent usage to skill-ups. Especially when monsters scale up accordingly. I really hope I won't run into troubles when my sneaking skills push me over to level 20, while my archery still hover at 30 and armor at 20ish. But that's my minor peeve about the whole thing. Still awaiting a mod to fix this.

Edit: This game beats Sims: Medieval by a mile, even though the world won't acknowledge your motivations - there's plenty of little touches like bounty hunters coming after my lone bandit and if you minimize contact with the civilized world (no trading, salvage only), this game is probably one of the best medieval survival simulator out there. Still need a Hunger meter, though. :) Perhaps a well-fed bonus to Stam Regen etc. I know I would dig that. Hunger = slow movement etc. That's what Hard Core New Vegas failed to achieve, but this...with a little modding, would be THE game to accomplish it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:49:37 PM by rk47 »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1457 on: November 20, 2011, 09:57:33 PM

Bah, another CTD.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1458 on: November 20, 2011, 10:24:37 PM

My assassin character just levels stuff by letting the easy marks hit him around a bit before dispatching them. Often I just get into my brawling gear and let the cat claws keep them on their toes if they get me a bit low - RPing reasons to level it up.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1459 on: November 20, 2011, 10:42:50 PM

But you kinda want the perks, y'see. Planned character development is pretty much impossible. Bow attacks are highly damaging from sneak attacks, but you don't gain much skill increases due to faster kills. Compare that to one hander rising rapidly from repeated slashes at close range, we can clearly see the problem when you equate frequent usage to skill-ups. Especially when monsters scale up accordingly. I really hope I won't run into troubles when my sneaking skills push me over to level 20, while my archery still hover at 30 and armor at 20ish. But that's my minor peeve about the whole thing. Still awaiting a mod to fix this.

Edit: This game beats Sims: Medieval by a mile, even though the world won't acknowledge your motivations - there's plenty of little touches like bounty hunters coming after my lone bandit and if you minimize contact with the civilized world (no trading, salvage only), this game is probably one of the best medieval survival simulator out there. Still need a Hunger meter, though. :) Perhaps a well-fed bonus to Stam Regen etc. I know I would dig that. Hunger = slow movement etc. That's what Hard Core New Vegas failed to achieve, but this...with a little modding, would be THE game to accomplish it.

Advance the main quest past the intro and you will get plenty of archery skillups on dragons.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1460 on: November 20, 2011, 10:53:53 PM

I'd rather get slapped in the face with naughty bits of Nord men than play a game like this with a hunger meter.

That shit does not make games better.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1461 on: November 20, 2011, 11:32:04 PM

Food is plentiful in this game, but I like it better if a well-fed character actually perform better than the current apple effect of restoring small bits of HP.
That's just dumb. Food should restore stamina / fortify stamina over time and it gives incentive for people to actually save up on some rations or kill that wolf than 'lol monster'

They could also code in potion cooldown.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1462 on: November 20, 2011, 11:35:35 PM

It would have been nice if the Cooking minigame had a few foods that were useful to eat. Maybe in one of the upcoming DLCs.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1463 on: November 20, 2011, 11:55:34 PM

Hunger would be cool actually.. for the simple fact that I'd finally use food.

Also, Aela cooks me "home cooked meals". But I sell them. Kind of an asshole thing to do.

Anyways... I highly recommend doing the main quests. There are like 20 shouts. You don't need them all, but some synergize well with different classes. And like I said, the quests are kind of cool. Just the upgraded Unrelenting Force you first get from the Greybeards is worth it.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #1464 on: November 20, 2011, 11:59:50 PM

Also: No fletching? I'd really love to craft my own arrows cause I'm using a no-trade policy with this survival run.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1465 on: November 21, 2011, 01:30:04 AM

Also, Aela cooks me "home cooked meals". But I sell them. Kind of an asshole thing to do.

Anyways... I highly recommend doing the main quests. There are like 20 shouts. You don't need them all, but some synergize well with different classes. And like I said, the quests are kind of cool. Just the upgraded Unrelenting Force you first get from the Greybeards is worth it.

I've not been consciously avoiding doing the main quest, it's just there are sooo many side quests and they keep dragging me off to parts unknown so I go exploring. Which in this game leads to an exponential increase in the numbers of side quests with more need to go tramping all over the place. Lvl 23 now, I've got a couple of souls around and about 5 shouts with one at lvl 2 but like I said, still haven't actually visited them Greybeards. I feel like I'm going to end up finally coming round to see them and having to explain how I've already slain all the dragons and the special NPCs they need to be contacted have all been chatted to and I guess actually everything's cool?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1466 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:01 AM

Also: No fletching? I'd really love to craft my own arrows cause I'm using a no-trade policy with this survival run.

There's some rudimentary fletching mods out there already, if you're on PC. This is the one I see linked most often, so it may well be the only one so far.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:40:07 AM by koro »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1467 on: November 21, 2011, 03:30:28 AM

Bah, another CTD.
I'm convinced the no-error CTDs are literally a feature added to give Elders Scrolls veterans teary-eyed memories of Morrowind.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1468 on: November 21, 2011, 05:09:51 AM

I've not been consciously avoiding doing the main quest, it's just there are sooo many side quests and they keep dragging me off to parts unknown so I go exploring. Which in this game leads to an exponential increase in the numbers of side quests with more need to go tramping all over the place. Lvl 23 now, I've got a couple of souls around and about 5 shouts with one at lvl 2 but like I said, still haven't actually visited them Greybeards. I feel like I'm going to end up finally coming round to see them and having to explain how I've already slain all the dragons and the special NPCs they need to be contacted have all been chatted to and I guess actually everything's cool?

I guess it doesn't really matter. In a way, it's kind of a hero's path.. (and I'll leave it at that), and that isn't for everyone. One could lose themselves in, say, the Dark Brotherhood quests, or just be some dude who breaks in houses and steals everyone's Mead.. and still be legitimate.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1469 on: November 21, 2011, 05:50:39 AM

Oh god, so funny: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/21/skyrim-lydia-death/

Don't worry it's not a spoiler.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: