Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Pre-Cata Upgrade Discount 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-Cata Upgrade Discount  (Read 14545 times)
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

on: November 24, 2010, 05:54:56 AM

You can now buy all the expansions with online download including Cataclysm for $59.99. The original game alone is $5, Burning Crusade is $5, Wotlk is $10, and Cataclysm is $39.99.

I was looking for just such a deal to set my daughters up on their own accounts. Glad it finally came.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:18:40 PM

I was about to upgrade my second account to TBC, but it seems to have ended. Yesterday.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 10:57:31 AM

Well crap.

I refuse to buy all previous expansions just to play this one.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:12:42 AM

Well crap.

Given you don't own the prior expansions, I'm guessing you don't have anyone over level 60, in which case you probably don't need to buy anything. You can play the new 1-60 content, minus the new races and archaeology without the expansion. [/broken record]

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:37:40 AM

Well crap.

Given you don't own the prior expansions, I'm guessing you don't have anyone over level 60, in which case you probably don't need to buy anything. You can play the new 1-60 content, minus the new races and archaeology without the expansion. [/broken record]

I understand that. This was more of a case of I dislike the idea of needing to buy every single other expansion to play the new one. Perhaps LOTRO spoiled me, but companies need to start including previous version of the game, like turbine did.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 11:41:17 AM

And SOE with EQ2.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:48:51 AM

this whole argument borders on  swamp poop

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:56:23 AM

Yes, yes it does.

Not to mention a giant fucking airplane flew over Bloodworth's head.

Anyhow, this doesn't seem to be hurting Blizzard much and has pretty much been their stance since... forever.

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:04:01 PM

Not to mention a giant fucking airplane flew over Bloodworth's head.

What was that? That I don't need all of them? I already knew this, however I was temped to check it all out again and buy the new one (For the new stuff, like goblins and such). Not including the previous versions tipped me over to not doing so.

There comes a point, where requiring two other 30$ purchases to play the newest, is asking a bit much. I was in best buy, read the requirements, and noted two other expansions not included, looked over at the other two, looked at the price, and decided not to.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 12:17:22 PM

I can't imagine that they would require you to pay full price for every expansion just to brings  your account up to speed.

Upgrade your account to Battle.net and check to see how much it will be to enable Cataclysm.

I would be really surprised if it's not heavily discounted and would like to hear if that is the case so that I can laugh about it (not laughing at you, just laughing that they let your customer demographic slip through the cracks).
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 12:20:48 PM

Goblins, archaeology and worgen are the only thing you would be excluded from if you restarted you wow account today.  You get an entirely revamped level 1-60 experience, new race/class combos and upgraded engine for free.  

What would you get with the expac? goblins/worgens/archaeology and levels 80-85 BUT YOU ARE LEVEL 60

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:24:05 PM

It isn't really slipping through the cracks unless their revenue would be higher by discounting and getting more Bloodworths than they make by just charging the people who are willing to pay more, though.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:28:36 PM

Using battle.net, I am required to buy each expansion separately, or buy all of them at full price together for 20% off. Notice, they do not even list the others, because I have to buy up the chain.

That's about 90$ to play a goblin. x2 if I get it for my lady too.

Lets just say, my lady and myself are a bit disappointed we wont be checking out the new races. I'm sure some of you are willing to shell out that kind of cash, but i'm not, blizzard or not. 90! and I don't even get a box!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:33:38 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 12:45:48 PM

That does sound rather expensive...though I woulda thunk all three could be had cheaper than that.

How much of an upgrade has really been made to the engine?  I'm trying really hard to ignore this, but that might push me over the edge.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 12:46:28 PM

Bloodworth has a point. Never in a million years would I have paid that kind of money to get up to date on WoW. When Blizzard had that massive sale on the expansions a little while ago I honestly thought those would become the new standard prices.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 12:50:10 PM

I can't say about your part of the world but in my local Blockbuster, I could get BC for £5 (new) and Wrath for a tenner. (Same prices as on Amazon UK at the moment). You get a box too.

I don't think I'm that surprised that there's not a lot of discount for buying direct.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 12:56:14 PM

I'm sure I could do all sorts of hunting, bartering, and haggling.

But why should I be required to? Its not worth it to me to go through all that. Three Expansions deep is silly. Box it all in one dam box, charge me for the newest. Done.

(Not that the advice isn't rational, If I cared that much I would use it)

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 01:01:49 PM

Blizzard titles are a lot like Nintendo ones, they're evergreen.  The Diablo II set is still selling at $30-40 and LoD came out nine years ago.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 01:14:07 PM

So, to be clear. You are ok spending $40 just to roll up a goblin and see their starting area but $80 for three expansions worth of content is steep?

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 01:30:12 PM

He's a Lotro fan. He'd probably also be willing to pay 50 cents every time he rides a griffin.  awesome, for real
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 06:31:36 AM

So, to be clear. You are ok spending $40 just to roll up a goblin and see their starting area but $80 for three expansions worth of content is steep?

You may be ok with Blizzard offering, "You can now buy all the expansions with online download including Cataclysm for $59.99. The original game alone is $5, Burning Crusade is $5, Wotlk is $10, and Cataclysm is $39.99."  (first post in this thread), but requiring players of the original game (who have already paid $50 + sub fees) who want to return to their old account $90, but I think it's demented.

Best case is - Bloodworth has only one original char, he uses the $60 all-you-can-eat, then pays $25 to transfer his old char to the new account and he's out $85.  If I was in that boat I'd likely be taking a pass as well, in the hopes that they realize that that is messed up.  They need to start to roll some of the older expansions into a digital-only expansion battle chest.  How much $$ does a digital SKU take to create, especially since digital-only means you don't need to share the money with retailers?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 06:45:23 AM

This is the one aspect in which Blizzard has failed and SOE and the other companies have always shined.  The game is useless without prior expansions, so go ahead and bundle those for free into a "Gold Box" (what EQ1 called it)  edition every expansion.  It might be $10 more than just the current expansion, but it didn't require old players to abandon characters or shell out way too much money.   It's bizarre.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 06:49:51 AM

This is the one aspect in which Blizzard has failed and SOE and the other companies have always shined.  The game is useless without prior expansions, so go ahead and bundle those for free into a "Gold Box" (what EQ1 called it)  edition every expansion.  It might be $10 more than just the current expansion, but it didn't require old players to abandon characters or shell out way too much money.   It's bizarre.

I remember hearing rumors of a b.net pass similar to what SOE had/has.

I'm actually surprised they dont have a a tiered system for b.net with gold and silver access.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 09:12:23 AM

You may be ok with Blizzard offering, "You can now buy all the expansions with online download including Cataclysm for $59.99. The original game alone is $5, Burning Crusade is $5, Wotlk is $10, and Cataclysm is $39.99."  (first post in this thread), but requiring players of the original game (who have already paid $50 + sub fees) who want to return to their old account $90, but I think it's demented.

Best case is - Bloodworth has only one original char, he uses the $60 all-you-can-eat, then pays $25 to transfer his old char to the new account and he's out $85.  If I was in that boat I'd likely be taking a pass as well, in the hopes that they realize that that is messed up.  They need to start to roll some of the older expansions into a digital-only expansion battle chest.  How much $$ does a digital SKU take to create, especially since digital-only means you don't need to share the money with retailers?
Um, you're not reading this right. That "$60 all-you-can-eat" was not exclusive, the deal just ended. You were able to buy Vanilla for $5, BC for $5 and LK for $10 all separately. Back when they were on sale.

The deal was up for about a week, and there was also a free, 10 day trial given to all (most?) lapsed accounts, so everyone could come back and see the new world changes. Someone people did, and took advantage. Some people didn't, and are now mad.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 09:22:53 AM

For the record, I'm not mad. Just stating that some of the new features piqued my interest, but with that price tag, faded quite quickly. I can only imagine someone completely new looking at this, and walking. It makes no sense to not bundle them up, 3 deep is retarded. I assume people accept this because its blizzard, blizzard does this, because fanatics accept it.

This was simply a casual look, that discovered a shocking price tag. Well over 100$ to be full featured, not including subscription. Maybe the bundle has yet to come. So there is that.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 11:00:52 AM

What new features require you to shell out for all three expansions at once?  If you want to just take a look at the changes, get someone to throw you a Scroll of Resurrection and then subscribe if you want to stick around.  The same is true for a new player.  They'll either sign up for the trial or get in as a Recruit-a-Friend.  After that they might buy the base game or the Battle Chest and then buy the rest of the expansions later down the road.

The only sticker shock someone will face is a) in light of the recent sale and b) because they only ever want to play a Goblin or a furry on some RP server Worgen.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 11:32:06 AM

I was temped to check it all out again and buy the new one (For the new stuff, like goblins and such).

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 11:49:08 AM

I can see your point. I don't know if the Cata trial is out yet but iirc, when the Wrath trial came out, you could create a DK regardless of whether you had a level 55 char anyway so you may be able to play through the Goblin starter area with just that.

But I've been wrong before (so my wife regularly reminds me)

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 01:06:19 PM

I was temped to check it all out again and buy the new one (For the new stuff, like goblins and such).

I don't think you understand how new the old world shit is, even if you aren't a goblin. Get ressurected, roll a new person (do a troll or gnome!), bask in the glory of Cataclysm. Trust me, that will show you well enough if Cataclysm is worth buying.

Don't get me wrong, I get it's annoying to be three expansions behind and having to buy them all, I understand wanting to see the new race starter zones, but there are new starter experiences besides those (seriously, troll or gnome, completely new, the others are same-but-better from what I've seen so far) and seeing the New Old World, honestly, is the highlight of the expansion.

God Save the Horn Players
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 01:24:50 PM

Same but better doesn't really cover the immensity of changes.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 01:31:23 PM

Eh, if you're talking strictly newbie 1-10, which I was given that's basically the level range for goblin/worgen newbie zones, "same but better" sums it up just about right for everyone but trolls and gnomes. It's after that when it becomes Completely Awesome.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 01:32:24 PM

I don't think you understand how new the old world shit is, even if you aren't a goblin. Get ressurected, roll a new person (do a troll or gnome!), bask in the glory of Cataclysm. Trust me, that will show you well enough if Cataclysm is worth buying.

Don't get me wrong, I get it's annoying to be three expansions behind and having to buy them all, I understand wanting to see the new race starter zones, but there are new starter experiences besides those (seriously, troll or gnome, completely new, the others are same-but-better from what I've seen so far) and seeing the New Old World, honestly, is the highlight of the expansion.

Yeah, but thats not what I was interested in, nor was it what my girlfriend was bugging me about (She really likes Warhammer green races and flavor). I may do the weekend 3 day thing.....mabye.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 01:34:17 PM

So you're only interested in the 1-10 goblin/worgen experience and archaeology? I'm sure there's a youtube video taking you through those zones somewhere, save yourself some time.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 02:09:18 PM

I think it's more a matter of being green or furry.

Sure I could take any character over to the Draenei area, but it's not the same as being a Draenei.  It'd be like telling you or Ingmar "Sorry, Dwarfs aren't accessible, play something else instead".

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 02:19:00 PM

If they felt about it like I feel about dwarves they would pay any price already.  Heart

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Pre-Cata Upgrade Discount  
Jump to: