Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm: Preparing For Patch 4.0.1 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm: Preparing For Patch 4.0.1  (Read 154808 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #490 on: November 18, 2010, 01:05:50 PM

Can you get your goblin to say, "I got what you need!"?

If I can do that, I may have to switch sides.  What jokes/emotes do goblins have?

One of the male flirts is "I got what you need. *zipper sound*" which I'm pretty sure won't see live.

Male Jokes and Flirts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOUmr6kKsw
Male Other Emotes and Attack Animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Vfo6LBPg8
Female Jokes and Flirts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oDeQw9Ofk
Female Other Emotes and Attack Animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcDBmELHf50

Watching these again made it really hard not to plan out switching my Priest over from Undead...

Wow... this gives me something else to think about, especially with the NY accents.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #491 on: November 18, 2010, 01:06:51 PM

If you don't have one, add a mobile or physical authenticator to your account. It's going to get hacked.

Not that this doesn't sound like a great idea, but why would my battle.net account be more vulnerable to hacking once I have an active WoW sub?
Because WoW accounts are considerably more desirable to hackers than, say, SC2 ones.

Alright, so physical, mobile or dial-in?  I R confused.

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't care.  Got mobile app.  Can't wait to lose my phone. Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:16:23 PM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: November 18, 2010, 01:16:29 PM

I don't know what the deal is with the dial-in, but the physical and mobile are pretty much the same. The only difference is the mobile might be free depending on your phone/carrier, while the physical will cost a few bucks and you'll have to wait for it to actually arrive.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: November 18, 2010, 01:28:20 PM

Dial-In is an additional measure on top of any account.  As for an Authenticator proper:

- Do you have a iPhone/iPod Touch or Android device?  Grab the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator from the iTunes or Android markets for free.

- Do you have a WinMo 6.x phone?  Try out WinAuth.

- Do you have some other Java-enabled phone?  Try this page and it should be ~$1.

- Want the key fob? $6.50 plus tax (and I got free shipping when I bought mine a few years back), supposed to last seven years according to the manufacturer.

- Feeling cheap and/or just want something on your computer? Use the PC version of WinAuth or set up an emulated Android Authenticator.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: November 18, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't care.  Got mobile app.  Can't wait to lose my phone. Ohhhhh, I see.

Good choice. I bought the authenticator last year but now I've got an Android phone, got the mobile app so that I don't have to remember something else to take with me on the odd occasion I'm out and about with my laptop.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: November 18, 2010, 01:41:48 PM

Wow... this gives me something else to think about, especially with the NY accents.

Yeah, they're pretty cool. I have a rogue who's begging to be made a Goblin but maybe I'll just stick with rolling a new Shammie instead.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: November 18, 2010, 03:18:21 PM

Dial-In is an additional measure on top of any account.  As for an Authenticator proper:

- Do you have a iPhone/iPod Touch or Android device?  Grab the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator from the iTunes or Android markets for free.

- Do you have a WinMo 6.x phone?  Try out WinAuth.

- Do you have some other Java-enabled phone?  Try this page and it should be ~$1.

- Want the key fob? $6.50 plus tax (and I got free shipping when I bought mine a few years back), supposed to last seven years according to the manufacturer.

- Feeling cheap and/or just want something on your computer? Use the PC version of WinAuth or set up an emulated Android Authenticator.

I do have an iPod Touch... sadly, too broke and unemployed to afford the data plans atm.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #497 on: November 18, 2010, 03:21:36 PM

Authenticator doesn't have to be connected to the intarwebs.  Just need to download it and link it.  So, you just really have to connect it wirelessly once.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: November 18, 2010, 03:32:01 PM

Authenticator doesn't have to be connected to the intarwebs.  Just need to download it and link it.  So, you just really have to connect it wirelessly once.

Why do you hate me?  why so serious?

I can't pick up the pipe again... I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #499 on: November 18, 2010, 03:32:53 PM

WoW, it's a helluva drug.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #500 on: November 18, 2010, 04:02:20 PM

Whoever said Dire Maul was gone, by the way, was wrong, it is still there. It is a fully winged dungeon now, West and North don't connect, and while those library NPCs are still there I don't think you can do anything with their faction anymore.

Hm, I'd heard it was gone.  Combined with the NE Mages coming back to Darnassus and the removal of the faction from the Insane title it made sense.  Kind of odd to remove the faction but leave the mobs.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: November 18, 2010, 05:52:54 PM

In response to earlier, accounts get hacked that are even unsubbed. There's no reason not to have an authenticator now, thanks dial in authenticator  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Make sure you have the serial number to your authenticator(Menu/Setup on the iPhone), email it to yourself or such for safe keeping. If you loose the phone or need to remove it without a working authenticator a quick call to their 1-800 with that serial number the agent will be able to remove it.

Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: November 18, 2010, 06:08:28 PM

In response to earlier, accounts get hacked that are even unsubbed. There's no reason not to have an authenticator now, thanks dial in authenticator  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Make sure you have the serial number to your authenticator(Menu/Setup on the iPhone), email it to yourself or such for safe keeping. If you loose the phone or need to remove it without a working authenticator a quick call to their 1-800 with that serial number the agent will be able to remove it.

Sadly it works for my iPod Touch and was free and took all of 20sec to set up the security codes for my battle.net account. Why is it that when I need a roadblock to stop me getting in over my head, it never comes. Same thing happens when I need something on the floor of my car and can't seem to hit a red light to search for it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #503 on: November 18, 2010, 08:08:19 PM

Yea, I was mainly curious about how the hacks are perpetrated.  I'm thinking keyloggers and dumbassery, but maybe there's some new technique I wasn't aware of.  Really, though, no reason not to have the authenticator in some form.  I've used a RSA fob for years to connect to the corporate VPN, before it was replaced with a software token generator.  New corp has an encrypted USB drive + PIN for VPN connection.  It beats doing what I did for LotRO: sixteen random characters for a password.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: November 18, 2010, 09:23:06 PM

Dial-In is an additional measure on top of any account. 
False. From the Dial In Authenticator FAQ:
Can I have multiple Authenticators (keychain, mobile app, or Dial-in) active at the same time?
Each Battle.net account can only have one security method active at any given time, including our Authenticator products. You can change your active security method at any time through Battle.net Account Management.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: November 18, 2010, 09:53:57 PM

Yea, I was mainly curious about how the hacks are perpetrated.  I'm thinking keyloggers and dumbassery, but maybe there's some new technique I wasn't aware of.
Quite likely brute force.

The username and password is case-insensitive, there's no lockout, and it works on the forums.  At least that's how it was prior to the recent changes.  I don't know if anyone has verified with 4.0 and the board updates.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: November 18, 2010, 10:00:05 PM

Another popular route is forum hacking/collecting as well. Lots and LOTS of people just use the same username and password for their game account and their WoW-forum of choice.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: November 18, 2010, 11:53:56 PM

Dial-In is an additional measure on top of any account. 
False. From the Dial In Authenticator FAQ:
Can I have multiple Authenticators (keychain, mobile app, or Dial-in) active at the same time?
Each Battle.net account can only have one security method active at any given time, including our Authenticator products. You can change your active security method at any time through Battle.net Account Management.

Ah, that's kind of silly as it only triggers when "something unusual" happens and doesn't allow for authenticator-only guild ranks so it's just a half-way tool even by their own admission.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:09 AM

Yea, I was mainly curious about how the hacks are perpetrated.  I'm thinking keyloggers and dumbassery, but maybe there's some new technique I wasn't aware of.

The username and password is case-insensitive, there's no lockout, and it works on the forums.  At least that's how it was prior to the recent changes.  I don't know if anyone has verified with 4.0 and the board updates.

I go with this. I had a second account hacked that had not been used for 18+ months and used an email address that I rarely - if ever - use to sign up on websites with and definitely not on WoW or other gaming sites.  No harm done as there was nothing worth stealing but they signed it up for a Wrath trial and created a low level alt to spam gold-seller messages with.

My main account has an authenticactor attached, an email address and unique (for me) password that is only used for WoW and doesn't get used to sign up for any websites at all.  It's amazing how few Beta invites or account alerts I get on it!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #509 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38:13 AM

Well that's some sloppy-ass design.  Hopefully there's at least some sort of delay on a bad password, but that really just protects dumbasses with weak passwords from impatient crackers.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: November 19, 2010, 09:48:21 AM

There isn't, unless you measure it in microseconds and network lag.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #511 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:12 AM

Well, there's your problem, ma'am. Ohhhhh, I see.  Basic resistance to brute-force cracker, install a delay.  Sheesh.

Whatever, this mobile authenticator is awesome.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #512 on: November 20, 2010, 12:56:16 AM

One issue I'm having with these authenticators is that I can't fit my whole iPhone in my mouth.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: November 20, 2010, 06:49:36 AM

One issue I'm having with these authenticators is that I can't fit my whole iPhone in my mouth.

Practice on something smaller
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: November 20, 2010, 09:36:26 AM

You've gotta open your throat, relax your jaw.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: November 20, 2010, 09:42:24 AM

If I had a penny for every time I've said that...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: November 20, 2010, 11:02:09 AM

You could be on your way to making change for a nickle? Grin

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: November 20, 2010, 12:49:31 PM

I don't even know what that means.   Isn't it Nickel ?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: November 20, 2010, 01:58:11 PM

Yes, my spelling sucks and there was no red squiggle indicating it was misspelled.

A our nickel is what you'd call a five pence coin.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: November 20, 2010, 02:38:59 PM

These days, I call a five pence coin a rarity.

why so serious?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #520 on: November 20, 2010, 11:09:35 PM

If you didn't know already, the Post-Cataclysm world is up on the PTR now. I imagine it'll be applied to the live servers this coming week but if you're bored enough to let the PTR client download 12 gigs overnight or for a few hours you can try it early.

I leveled a warrior 1-25 in about 6 hours of actual playtime simply questing. I did a couple SFK runs but that was about it for instancing since not a lot of people were using LFD.

The new 1-60 content owns. The quest-lines are well contained, interesting/funny, the rewards are great and genuinely useful (read: well itemized, no more strength cloth swamp poop), and combined with the 4.0.0 talent changes you don't ever feel gimpy or lack buttons to push after you hit level 10 and get your tree's signature skill.

If I had any complaints so far it's that some of the zones are so phased (redridge in particular) and designed to be soloed that you may as well be playing a single-player RPG where sometimes you see other players running around (I imagine this'll be met with "lol its like that already" but this is beyond the degree even you are thinking of). You're pretty rarely encouraged to group for questing after the starter zones ironically. The simplified talents, tooltips-for-retards, and in-game tutorials will help new players and currently bad players improve/understand their roles/skills but the first time they use LFD it'll feel pretty alien and weird since you're damn near told to just solo everything outside of instances. Also, it goes by almost TOO quick in my opinion. There is a greater grand total of quests per zone compared to pre-cata old-world I think, but there's a flight master practically every 3 feet and the quests are so tightly bread-crumbed that every zone's "epic" storyline feels like it's over in 10 minutes.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19:00 PM

There is a greater grand total of quests per zone compared to pre-cata old-world I think, but there's a flight master practically every 3 feet and the quests are so tightly bread-crumbed that every zone's "epic" storyline feels like it's over in 10 minutes.
Personally I am looking forward to this.  The current "quest here for 1-2 levels, fly to another zone in another continent and quest there for 2-3 levels, then go back to the first zone to finish it" is very annoying.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: November 21, 2010, 04:23:28 AM

I understand they are trying to get more folks to play, but I think they've made the game too easy.  This coming from a casual grouper non-raider. 
I like the talent changes (though my prot pally out damages my marksman hunter), but the mobs are all too easy to kill. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #523 on: November 21, 2010, 04:28:10 AM

If they're trying to get more people to play, then it makes sense to make it "too easy" for those of us playing already.  Those who aren't playing stay away because of general principle, they dislike the look or it takes "too fucking" long to level.  Easier mobs = level up asap.

It'll scale as they hit Outlands and then Northrend.  Early reports of the 80-85 zones were saying it's going to be more difficult for those of us already playing, too.  So I wouldn't worry that the whole game's going ez-mode.  Just the parts where there's no people so you want to move everyone through it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: November 21, 2010, 05:10:54 AM

Yes, my spelling sucks and there was no red squiggle indicating it was misspelled.

A our nickel is what you'd call a five pence coin.
Oh, you mean a shilling?   Get off my lawn!

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm: Preparing For Patch 4.0.1  
Jump to: