Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Superman Returns (Again) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Superman Returns (Again)  (Read 54162 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #245 on: June 19, 2013, 11:29:23 AM

I didn't see anything to indicate the Kryptonian armor was anything more than protective/decorative.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: June 19, 2013, 12:42:13 PM

I didn't see anything to indicate the Kryptonian armor was anything more than protective/decorative.

Same. I figured the armor was basically sci-fi plate armor and that Zod ditched it 1) to move around more easily and 2) because he was power drunk and felt invulnerable.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #247 on: June 19, 2013, 12:48:38 PM

Pretty sure the armor is what enables them to fight toe to toe with him before they get that first experience of superpowers when whats her name's mask gets broken. The jumping and shit they do doesn't really make sense otherwise.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #248 on: June 19, 2013, 02:01:02 PM

The jumping makes perfect sense. Clark didn't know how to fly initially - when he first found the scout ship and learns about the Krypton thing, he starts jumping and falling. It was only then he figured out he could fly. Removing the mask only made the atmosphere affect the other Kyrptonians quicker (and thus they got the sensory overload they weren't ready to deal with yet).

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: June 19, 2013, 02:02:44 PM

I don't think that's it, I really read it as they have no real superpowers before that first cracked mask. It isn't explicitly spelled out either way, though, I suppose. It seems to be more the air than the SUNS YELLOW RAYS or whatever in this one.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: June 19, 2013, 02:10:39 PM

They make a big point of saying that Krypton has a huge gravity difference from earth. The whole badguy plan revolves around increasing the gravity.  It's like us going to the moon and being able to lob around boulders on a whim, only on a greater scale. The sun/atmosphere may increase the strength, but the whole gravity part was a big plot point.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: June 19, 2013, 02:30:39 PM

I don't think that's it, I really read it as they have no real superpowers before that first cracked mask. It isn't explicitly spelled out either way, though, I suppose. It seems to be more the air than the SUNS YELLOW RAYS or whatever in this one.

They explicitly say that the sun's rays are what make Clark (and later Zod and company) stronger. I think there is even a CGI shot of his cells absorbing the sun's energy at one point. The air is actually a problem, it is not the source of their strength.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: June 19, 2013, 02:34:13 PM

They explicitly say that the sun's rays are what make Clark (and later Zod and company) stronger. I think there is even a CGI shot of his cells absorbing the sun's energy at one point. The air is actually a problem, it is not the source of their strength.

Then why does exposure to the air trigger the xray vision, for example? I guess the conclusion is that it is just kind of sloppily handled in general.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #253 on: June 19, 2013, 03:14:30 PM

Sciency-wiency.

LOOK AT THE MONKEY!!!  awesome, for real

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #254 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:09 PM

They make a big point of saying that Krypton has a huge gravity difference from earth. The whole badguy plan revolves around increasing the gravity.  It's like us going to the moon and being able to lob around boulders on a whim, only on a greater scale. The sun/atmosphere may increase the strength, but the whole gravity part was a big plot point.

Gravity is all fine and great for adults, but a baby taken out of that gravity would not have developed super strength based on something he was never subjected to. If anything, (assuming this is tied into genetic makeup) he would have been weaker than the others since he was raised in Earth's gravity. Fuck you all, now I gotta go see this... awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: June 19, 2013, 06:21:37 PM

Well in the world of non-creationist science, plants and animals evolve to the gravity that they are born in.

Namely a young clark would be considered superhuman regardless of where he grew up, because kyptonians evolved on a planet with much heavier gravity then earth. Of course you have to deal with another issue being, kyptonians are for all intent in purposes very human in appearance and physiology.... something that wouldn't be the case in a world with higher gravity than earth.

Apparently the only differences between kyprtonians and humans is the way we process radiation.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #256 on: June 19, 2013, 07:03:49 PM

Where is it said the armor gives super strength? Plus supes has been sucking up uv rays for 33 years so training or not of course he is stronger.

You aren't thinking like a Lindelof.

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #257 on: June 30, 2013, 12:10:05 PM

Wow! Superman's mom is hot!

Okay, I'm getting old, when that is what I kept thinking watching this movie.

Great movie.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #258 on: June 30, 2013, 02:47:43 PM

My 9 year old was NOT ready for the intensity of the action in this movie. But, he said it was "good" even though he was shaking like a leaf during most of it. Last time I ask you lot for a read on suitability.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: June 30, 2013, 05:16:14 PM

I believe the rating is PG-13.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #260 on: June 30, 2013, 06:18:24 PM

I took m y 11 year old son and 3 of his friends to this on Friday.  Now I used to go to one movies a week 15 years ago when I was single.  Now I go to 3-4 a year.

This was a good movie.  This was also a good Superman movie.  I did not notice the "intrusive" product placements as much as I expected given the reactions I read here. 

Also, Diane Lane made to look old is hotter than Amy Adams.

I have never played WoW.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: June 30, 2013, 07:04:49 PM

My 9 year old was NOT ready for the intensity of the action in this movie. But, he said it was "good" even though he was shaking like a leaf during most of it. Last time I ask you lot for a read on suitability.

I take my 5 yr. old nephew to see movies like this all of the time (he's a Marvel fiend already).  Of course, ask him what he wants to be when he grows up and, with a straight and deadly serious face, he says "I'm gonna be a soldier!  A supersoldier!  I've gotta fight the aliens!"   (Halo and Avengers did this I believe)

Last time I asked him what he wanted for his b-day he said "Umm.  I need a Superman ring!"  I ask him why and he again with a straight and deadly serious face says, "so I umm... so I can keep my fodder from spanking me when I'm bad!"   awesome, for real   I was all like (with an equally serious face), "dude... you need a Green Lantern ring for that man!  Here, lemme show ya!"  And off to the comics&collectibles store we go.  Of course, something tells me somehow he learned of the actual superman ring, but shit I dont even know the lore behind that.

Mind you, I catch this kid on Steam all the time while my brother is at work.  His hero is Tony Stark (not just as Ironman, but as a dude who builds things).  Now he can touch-type and investigates youtube vids on how to mod minecraft; and he DOES! (at least he figured out how to load them).   Ohhhhh, I see.   My father flips out at all of this and runs off to buy him his own ideapad.   Facepalm

Anyways, I sense ritalin in this kid's future but for now screw it.  Brainwash time.  Pacific Rim here we come!!!

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: June 30, 2013, 08:39:43 PM

Ahh.  Might have been a bit poorly phrazed question then.  The way I read it put emphasis on the "bloody" violent part, and since there was pretty much 0 blood and gore in the thing, I gave it a pass.   Yeah, "intensity of acton" might have been a bit over the top in a few of the battle scenes, but not much more so then avengers.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #263 on: June 30, 2013, 08:42:45 PM

Eh, was mostly kidding on giving you shit about it (although an A-10 pilot did get his head ripped off in a long shot). He was bugging me for a week to see it so it isn't like I dragged him to it. He just isn't used to that type of movie.

I actually think it was the noise (which was CONSTANT) more than anything. He is a bit sound-sensitive.  He was going to see Pacific Rim with me but now says he won't.  sad

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: June 30, 2013, 09:32:26 PM

A good way to desensitize him to sound intensity without traumatizing him at the same time is to take him to an air show. Very loud intense sound that is not constant that he can prepare for.Plus an added benefit is that air shows are awesome.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #265 on: July 01, 2013, 03:12:32 AM

This Man of Steel will divide a lot of the crowd. And honestly, I'm not one of those who liked it.
All that grand speech by his dad. Oh yeah, he's gonna be a God and lead the people to the Sun...
Ahahahahah. It was your fault for sending your kid to Earth, asshole.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #266 on: July 01, 2013, 06:28:30 AM

This Man of Steel will divide a lot of the crowd. And honestly, I'm not one of those who liked it.
All that grand speech by his dad. Oh yeah, he's gonna be a God and lead the people to the Sun...

I can get that, but it was quickly overshadowed by other more enjoyable parts of the film.  I especially liked how his childhood was de-emphasized other than as cues for his character.  That tactic is not often executed well, but I feel it was this time.  That said, the way Kevin Costner died (never a bad thing) was weak.

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: July 01, 2013, 07:25:02 AM

I can get that, but it was quickly overshadowed by other more enjoyable parts of the film.  I especially liked how his childhood was de-emphasized other than as cues for his character.  That tactic is not often executed well, but I feel it was this time.  That said, the way Kevin Costner died (never a bad thing) was weak.

Yeah, but,

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: July 01, 2013, 08:23:31 AM

It's a shame Amy Adams really drug the movie down; I guess as Lois Lane is supposed to do?  Diane Lane (who probably should've played lois) gave her a professional lesson on-screen on how to really act.  So yah, I hope this is the last time Adams is cast in a "serious" film.  Let her go back to the satire.

That said, who would've been the better Lois for this movie?  Given that we've now seen it.  I guess I shouldn't be so harsh, I thought her script had some to do with it.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: July 01, 2013, 08:27:14 AM

It's a shame Amy Adams really drug the movie down; I guess as Lois Lane is supposed to do?  Diane Lane (who probably should've played lois) gave her a professional lesson on-screen on how to really act.  So yah, I hope this is the last time Adams is cast in a "serious" film.  Let her go back to the satire.

That said, who would've been the better Lois for this movie?  Given that we've now seen it.  I guess I shouldn't be so harsh, I thought her script had some to do with it.

She was in this movie? I couldn't see her over the awesomeness of Antje Traue.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

edit: me forgets words.. doh
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:30:54 AM by 01101010 »

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: July 01, 2013, 08:54:41 AM

I'm not a big fan of lois lane in the first place (a rant for another day) but beyond that her role in the movie could have been reasonable cut out. It doesn't fit in with superman lore, doesn't make sense for her not to notice him as clark later on, and it makes there romance more contrived than it already is. Nothing wrong with the actor, the character just shouldn't be in that movie.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #271 on: July 01, 2013, 09:25:06 AM

I'm not a big fan of lois lane in the first place (a rant for another day) but beyond that her role in the movie could have been reasonable cut out. It doesn't fit in with superman lore, doesn't make sense for her not to notice him as clark later on, and it makes there romance more contrived than it already is. Nothing wrong with the actor, the character just shouldn't be in that movie.

My interpretation of the Clark Kent scene was that she did recognize him, unless it was supposed to be a "he looks familiar but I cannot quite place him" moment.

I have never played WoW.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: July 01, 2013, 09:34:43 AM

um, dude...I hate to break this to you but you are really bad at subtext. That ending was the most blatant part of the movie "Welcome to the planet"  not to mention and I can't emphasize this enough She finds out very early in the movie that he is Clark Kent  this is not a detail you forget.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #273 on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:01 AM

Once you realize this just a another version of Star Trek then you are not burdened with a movie that "makes sense" or "is true to the estabished characters" or "more than special effects".

"Me am play gods"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #274 on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

That said, who would've been the better Lois for this movie?  Given that we've now seen it.  I guess I shouldn't be so harsh, I thought her script had some to do with it.
Kate Beckingsale awesome, for real

And really it was the directing of Amy Adams that was horrible. Sort of like Natalie Portman in the Star Wars movies.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #275 on: July 01, 2013, 10:08:27 AM

um, dude...I hate to break this to you but you are really bad at subtext. That ending was the most blatant part of the movie "Welcome to the planet"  not to mention and I can't emphasize this enough She finds out very early in the movie that he is Clark Kent  this is not a detail you forget.
What is it with comic book movie writers going out of their way to reveal superhero secret identities as quickly as possible? I fucking hate that shit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #276 on: July 01, 2013, 10:10:00 AM

I actually thought Adams was loads better than I would have ever expected. And I really liked that they didn't pussyfoot around with Lane not finding out his identity. Get that shit out of the way quick so that their romance isn't the usual moonlighting buildup and let's not waste screen time next movie with that.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: July 01, 2013, 11:30:05 AM

She was indeed loads better than I expected, but I still yearned for something better.  Now that I've thought about it longer though, it really is more a function of the Lois character herself.  I mean really, is it even possible to play her well? 

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: July 01, 2013, 11:55:55 AM

No.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: July 01, 2013, 12:23:40 PM

She was indeed loads better than I expected, but I still yearned for something better.  Now that I've thought about it longer though, it really is more a function of the Lois character herself.  I mean really, is it even possible to play her well? 

I thought that Erica Durance did pretty good at playing Lois on Smallville.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Superman Returns (Again)  
Jump to: