Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there.  (Read 92761 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 30, 2010, 02:45:06 PM

Who's the bigger fool?  The fool or the fool who argues with him?

He doesn't want Steam.  Fine.  There won't be hardly any games he can play in about, oh, six months ago.  Whatever.  You're wasting your time on someone who was never worth it in the first place.  Just... stop.  Please.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 30, 2010, 02:55:58 PM

I don't think I am communicating this clearly...

When Steam get purchased by EA or UBI all your Steam games will retroactively get Assassin's Creed 2-style DRM patched into them and/or adds and/or turned into distributed computing bot and/or whatever else they want to do with you. You won't walk away from your entire collection of games, including your single-player games, so they have you by the balls.

Ether way, I am done arguing this since it all falling on deaf ears.

Doesn't matter, windows will do this before steam does, or macos, or whatever else.

You're basically slippery sloping the entire conversation from the start. It's basically become "well sure, steam isn't offensive NOW, but *bizarre alternate universe inserted here* to make it wrong"

I mean we're one insane leap from discussing how we shouldn't pay for our copies of windows because MS is just going to eventually use the money to clone Hitler's brain into a shark.

Steam is a profit machine. Even if in some manner Ubi bought them, steam makes SHITLOADS of money. They're not going to buy steam and then destroy it's profit method by making it create a broken system. The worst thing you can say is "what if steam goes out of business", at which point they've already said they have a script that will unlock all the purchases if the company is ever folding.

I'm really not seeing how you can hate steam.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:14 PM

I find it mildly ironic that someone is complaining about a videogame needing what is effectively, a pretty innocuous form of online activation in this day and age where almost all software you buy from OS on down requires an online activation at the time of installation/first startup.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 30, 2010, 03:10:05 PM

Who's the bigger fool?  The fool or the fool who argues with him?[...]

Sista, Please!  The amount of bear-baiting you do on this site I'd expect your fingers to rip themselves off your hands for the hypocrisy of typing that post.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #74 on: September 30, 2010, 03:29:42 PM

This thread delivers. Sinji doesn't want Steam, the easiest fucking system to use in the goddamn world, but DOES want encrypted USB dongles for his games. That's like whiplash inducing cognitive dissonance.

You keep tilting, Don!

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #75 on: September 30, 2010, 04:13:34 PM

waste 5d4 minutes of your life with all this

lawl

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 30, 2010, 05:29:06 PM

Sista, Please!  The amount of bear-baiting you do on this site I'd expect your fingers to rip themselves off your hands for the hypocrisy of typing that post.
I'm complicated. tongue  (There are also definite patterns to my posting, that should be easy to spot given my prodigious posting history.  At least some people get me. cry)

That statement though?  Not sarcastic or joking.  Plus it's for the people trying to reason with Sinij, who obviously aren't aware of his past attitudes.  At best people are wasting their time.  At worst, he's trolling them.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #77 on: September 30, 2010, 05:37:06 PM

I avoided games with draconian DRM, I will continue to do so in this case. Industry can DIAF, they are not going to get a penny out of my rather substantial entertainment spending until they can provide hassle-free experience for me.

I'd get over the whole "ownership" thing and railing against DRM for all of your entertainment wants.  Given the recent 9th circuit ruling on the ownership/ resale of software and the likely decision,  should it go to the Supreme Court as it stands, ownership is a dead notion for all things digital.  Once the RIAA and MPAA figure this out and finally transition to streaming and/or subscription sites  CDs and DVDs will go the way of the dodo, much like games are doing.  You're a permanent renter now, find the best way to rent things.  Steam is currently that for games.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 30, 2010, 05:41:46 PM

It's obvious he's trolling, given the claims that EA or Ubisoft will eventually purchase Valve.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 06:04:13 PM

You're a permanent renter now, find the best way to rent things.

I am big science fiction reader and recently (couple months back) Asimovs had a story about dystopian future where everything in "first world" is rented - cars, clothing, housing, education... while third world countries focused on recycling couple-years old stuff and ended in arguably better position due to not having to pay rents.

While I am not familiar with specifics of the case you are talking about, such course of events holds very little appeal to me. Rentership to me implies that goods/services can be withdrawn at any time and/or require on-going payments. While some things, like utilities, are difficult to purchase, other things like goods and services are not. There is very definitive line between you owning a game and renting access to in from Steam.

Now, when this applied to computer games, despite what ELUA and other non-enforceable crap says, you do outright own the game by virtue of having ability to install and play it at any time you want to for as long as you want to. This is not the case with 'online' (Steam et al.) distribution model where your access can be removed/modified for any arbitrary reason.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:12:41 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 06:17:23 PM

You are not worth the effort.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:23:46 PM by sinij »

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: September 30, 2010, 06:23:02 PM

It's obvious he's trolling, given the claims that EA or Ubisoft will eventually purchase Valve.

Both EA and Ubi are big enough that they can afford it, and post-recession economy is entering another round of mega-acquisitions/mergers. I would be surprised if Steam remains independent for more than couple years, if that.

Companies that have good reasons to by Steam/Valve

Sony
Microsoft
EA
Ubi

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:25:15 PM by sinij »

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 30, 2010, 07:17:46 PM

There is no reason to believe they couldn't buy Impulse as well and fuck with it to the worst of all your fears.

There is no reason any game can't be fucked with stealth patches to make your computer bend you over and have its wicked way with you.

There is no reason why Microsoft couldn't slip in with the next security update enough flashing coke ads to send you into seizures.

None of your arguments are Steam specific.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #83 on: September 30, 2010, 07:48:21 PM

Meow meow, we like luddite tears.  Meow meow, thread delivers.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 08:23:16 PM

None of those companies are in a position to be buying out competitors.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 30, 2010, 08:24:14 PM

I've always wondered if sinij's avatar is his own, or was it given to him like a forum title?  Because every time I see him post, the best response I can think of is that image.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #86 on: September 30, 2010, 09:22:35 PM

only then it might be kind enough to let you put it into offline mode, but it will work only if you did all these steps correctly, and you actually have to block it from internet for it to be possible, you can't simply tell it not to go online. How is this functionally different from malware/spyware?

I don't think you understand how steam works.

I set mine to go offline regularly, since I have various steam installs on different machines. My home and work laptops steam accounts default to offline, and stay that way unless I tell them to connect to the internet. As in the example above with the simple pictures. The actual computers are always connected.

edit - wheee! late to the party!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:35:33 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:22 PM

You're a permanent renter now, find the best way to rent things.

LOTS OF WORDS
MOAR WORDS 3RD POST IN A ROW
the effort.
Ohhhhh, I see.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #88 on: September 30, 2010, 11:09:24 PM

This community was always too conformist, if you aren't anti-PK, pro-Furry, pro-Steam, pro-Whatever you are called troll.

Maybe you're just retarded. You should consider the possibility. Also, just go pirate the goddamn game. You've already paid for it, so nobody can give you any shit about it.

Meow meow, we like luddite tears.  Meow meow, thread delivers.

Epic. I literally burst out laughing.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #89 on: September 30, 2010, 11:31:22 PM

I don't think I am communicating this clearly...

When Steam get purchased by EA or UBI all your Steam games will retroactively get Assassin's Creed 2-style DRM patched into them and/or adds and/or turned into distributed computing bot and/or whatever else they want to do with you. You won't walk away from your entire collection of games, including your single-player games, so they have you by the balls.

Ether way, I am done arguing this since it all falling on deaf ears.

No. Even if that happened, somehow in paranoid fantasy land, it would only be the Valve games that happened to. UBI or EA or PutinSoft can't just slap their own DRM onto other publisher's games if they buy Steam.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 30, 2010, 11:45:38 PM

If only they had used something that's less of a pain in the ass than Steam, like:

Over and out.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 30, 2010, 11:53:23 PM

Copper
Knight
Efreet

You knew some of the codes by heart quite fast. Oh, the good old times  awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #92 on: September 30, 2010, 11:54:16 PM

Which version of Pool had that? The C64 version just had you look up word 12 in the 4th sentence on page 15 of the manual and stuff like that. Plus journal entries that you had to go to paper for.

Ultima VI on the PC had one of those wheel thingies I think, too.

Or maybe my memory is just gone?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 01, 2010, 12:08:17 AM

No, U6 had a bunch of lore questions.  I still remember the answers to most of them.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #94 on: October 01, 2010, 02:31:13 AM

I remember Frontier: Elite II's protection used the manual in the same way to provide letters to keep playing. Ahh, memories.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 01, 2010, 02:32:05 AM

I want DRM-free games

You're living in a dream world

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 01, 2010, 03:00:03 AM

So...if I'm reading this thread right, Sinij is a pirate who hasn't paid for a game in two years and is now bitching because The Man is trying to make a living?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:03:42 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #97 on: October 01, 2010, 03:23:40 AM

I want DRM-free games

Not entirely dream world, it's only if you qualify it as DRM-free new games that he's living in a dream world. GOG is providing 10+ year old games, DRM-free. awesome, for real

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 01, 2010, 05:11:55 AM

I want DRM-free games

I think the real issue here is that Steam, while having DRM as part of it, is actually a GOOD service.  If, in 2010, requiring an internet connection one time to authenticate a game is too much for you, like I've already said, just pick a new hobby.    I'm as anti DRM as anyone, and Steam has been one of the best things to happen to gaming...ever... in my opinion.  No swapping disks, download things as often as i like, useful community functionality, integrated VOIP...

And seriously, if Steam were to blow up in 5 years, while that would suck, the realistic scenario is that (assuming they didn't somehow allow one less DRM free download of your library or something, which is a fair expectation since we are going for the worst case scenario here), I would be pissed off a lot for a week, probably buy like the 2 games that I was actually playing at the time over again through another store, and move on with my life.  Yeah, I can acknowledge that its bad that something like that could happen, but Steam has been so overwhelmingly a positive experience for me that I really find it hard to believe that people are still acting like they were in 2005 when this was ACTUALLY controversial.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 01, 2010, 05:33:25 AM

I'm complicated. tongue  (There are also definite patterns to my posting, that should be easy to spot given my prodigious posting history.  At least some people get me. cry)

That statement though?  Not sarcastic or joking.  Plus it's for the people trying to reason with Sinij, who obviously aren't aware of his past attitudes.  At best people are wasting their time.  At worst, he's trolling them.

:)  I would be flabbergasted if there is a single person who is posting in this thread that thinks that the thread will end with sinij posting, "well, maybe I should give it a chance".

I mostly posted that because I like the cadence of "Sista, Please!" (reminded me of Lum's "Stigga, Please!" which I thought was hysterical).  I partially posted because I didn't want you stopping the poking too soon... lol, but really, there is no chance of that happening.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 01, 2010, 06:13:16 AM

If only they had used something that's less of a pain in the ass than Steam, like:

Dammit I was going to post that in this morning!

PC version has it.  So did Curse of the Azure Bonds and some of the other Gold Box games.  If memory serves they were all slightly different which lead to frustrations.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 01, 2010, 07:49:53 AM

Wow, I completely forgot about the rune wheels.  I kept all my gold box games, so they have to be stashed somewhere.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #102 on: October 01, 2010, 08:03:19 AM

This community was always too conformist
why so serious?

I also have one of those awful wheels.

I also think that Ford is going to buy Steam because they mistakenly thought it was an alternative energy company, then all of our games will only be playable in the new Ford Focus Hybrid. It's really the mostly likely outcome, I read a book about it.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #103 on: October 01, 2010, 08:43:44 AM

The blogosphere is taking it very seriously.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #104 on: October 01, 2010, 09:14:31 AM

This community was always too conformist, if you aren't anti-PK, pro-Furry, pro-Steam, pro-Whatever you are called troll.

HAH! Seriously? You clearly weren't around for when Steam launched. You couldn't open a Steam/Steam Game thread around here without being sandblasted by a bunch of vaginas.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there.  
Jump to: