Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340864 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5075 on: November 25, 2020, 11:54:36 PM

Under the circumstances, and from what they've said about how well it's selling, I have a hard time believing in any false scarcity narrative. I'm pretty sure they're putting as many PS5s out there as they possibly can. That said, anybody who waits a while and gets one sometime next year isn't missing out on all that much.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5076 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:14 AM

I have no doubt there are a lot of factors.  Covid related shortages, for example.  But when an environment exists that allows the Bot/Scalper market to thrive and your company actively ignores it, it creates the conditions for this false scarcity and accomplishes exactly the same thing.  They are thrilled about it, you can be sure.  It's not like they didn't know the demand was going to be crazy.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #5077 on: November 26, 2020, 05:15:57 AM

I'm pretty sure if sony could snap their fingers and dump 50m on the market at launch they would have. They know longtime sony fans are well into their 30s and 40s now and don't want to play this particular game.

They have zero real control over the scalper market. That's on the retailers unfortunately.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5078 on: November 26, 2020, 05:58:10 AM

Of course they would.  That doesn't mean they aren't totally fine with the situation that is created in the absence of their ability to produce enough units.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5079 on: November 26, 2020, 09:03:11 AM

This is squarely on the heads of the retailers. That they have gone through at least 2 iterations of this same scenario around console releases and still have not figured out some way to kneecap the bot scalpers tells me that not only do they not give a shit, they don't feel the slightest bit inclined to give a shit. Testing and development costs money. They'll get their sales whether it's from some asshole bot Ebay cunt in West Arkantucky or an actual gamer in Philly.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5080 on: November 26, 2020, 09:22:03 AM

Amazon, to its credit is doing what it can to keep the scalpers from reselling through its marketplace. There was a brief period where scalpers had listings on the two “official” PS5 console pages and Amazon squashed those. Then they tried creating new product pages and Amazon killed those too. eBay, of course, gives zero fucks and let’s the scalpers run rampant on there.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5081 on: November 26, 2020, 12:38:29 PM

I'm not surprised one of those photo's (in the reseller group article) has a running shoe. I was reading an article on how there is now a shoe economy of limited production and thriving secondary market... I remember the old days where you just bought a product to use it up. Though in theory the PS5 will be built at scale and is not limited edition so it should eventually become available again, though I guess given those plastic sidings you could have an endless sequence of special editions if they wanted to lean into it.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5082 on: November 26, 2020, 12:53:38 PM

Pretty sure the shoe economy is not a recent thing. Hell, Jordans have been around since the 80s and I know they've had limited editions over the years that go for a lot of money on secondary markets. As it's a fashion thing though I were defer to schild's knowledge on this one.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5083 on: November 26, 2020, 05:28:38 PM

Under the circumstances, and from what they've said about how well it's selling, I have a hard time believing in any false scarcity narrative. I'm pretty sure they're putting as many PS5s out there as they possibly can. That said, anybody who waits a while and gets one sometime next year isn't missing out on all that much.
I figured I'd wait until spring. First, be easier to get one. Second, they'd have worked out any issues with the first few production runs.

I'd rather have the ones with the fixed hardware bugs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5084 on: November 26, 2020, 06:12:19 PM

Yeah after watching the Gamers Nexus video I’m waiting for the hardware revision that includes a heat pipe for the other memory chips and a larger stacked fin heat sink on the reverse side of that plate to deal with the extra heat. A firmware update to increase the fan speed may help a little but as GN showed with the covers off at best that’ll drop the hottest memory chips temps 5C from ~90C to ~85C if they really crank up the fan speed, and it’s not even clear if increasing the fan will help the other side of the board where the memory is.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5085 on: November 26, 2020, 06:46:09 PM

Yeah after watching the Gamers Nexus video I’m waiting for the hardware revision that includes a heat pipe for the other memory chips and a larger stacked fin heat sink on the reverse side of that plate to deal with the extra heat. A firmware update to increase the fan speed may help a little but as GN showed with the covers off at best that’ll drop the hottest memory chips temps 5C from ~90C to ~85C if they really crank up the fan speed, and it’s not even clear if increasing the fan will help the other side of the board where the memory is.

Given the PS5 size, I also need to finally move my TV and soundbar to the wall, leaving plenty of room for consoles on top.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5086 on: November 26, 2020, 10:26:18 PM

Last night I measured the nook in our tv stand and it technically fits a PS5 but I think I would have to put few case fans at the back of it. Which seems absurd really.

After watching the cyberpunk PS4 vs PS5 video I was pretty sold on the upgrade, but ultimately I think I’m with Trippy - going to wait for a hardware revision and/or a slimmer model that looks more conservative for our space. The white blob is gaudy and dealing with heat issues in a small space just seems not with the hassle. Between all that and the reselling fiasco, I’m just going to hold.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5087 on: November 28, 2020, 10:02:54 AM

Making of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, and how they put the entire planet in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w7q1ZFfsxs

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5088 on: December 08, 2020, 10:20:12 AM

The fandom and anti-fandom for TLOU2 is a bit much. Personally, I didn't care for it, but that is about as far as I'll go with my dislike outside of my official "fuck this game" after I was finished.

I make one small comment that's fairly buried in a Ghost of Tsushima thread on reddit (yah, I know, I got what I deserved) saying that an aspect of that game was better on a subjective level than something in TLOU2, and it touches off a minor shitstorm. Openly hostile replies, people going through my posting history and downvoting EVERYTHING, and just a ton of similar fanboyish responses. Plus, most of the responses seem to see what they want to see and are arguing a completely different point that what I was making.

I need to just never post on reddit and go back to full time lurking. The internet is a dumb and frustrating place.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5089 on: December 09, 2020, 07:06:32 AM

Reddit is the most useful pile of shit. I post about Rocksmith sometimes (the CLDC community is ok there, some of the good trackers post now and again). I made the mistake of trying to explain how much better the game would be if they included actual tabs in a 'pro' mode.

Got shouted down about not knowing what I'm talking about. Besides the fact that, well, I was kind of a pro for 6 years, heh...I also studied theory and application in school and have been sight reading classical guitar for over a decade (and did session work in the 90s, where they drop a score in front of you and off to the races you go). So I kind of understand reading and playing music, heh.

But no, I'm a fucking moron who can't understand the game is perfect and anyone who doesn't agree should be doused in gas and lit.

My favorite pile-on was suggesting Ubi reverse the default orientation for the in-game fretboard. The concept is you're supposed to be looking 'through' the neck as if it were transparent. So the fat, low E is on top and the skinny high E is on the bottom. Except that's backwards from every form of musical notation I've ever encountered. I made the mistake of pointing it out, and how it inculcates bad habits. Also, it alienates actual musicians who don't know you can reverse it (the entire notation style is pretty sucky, tbh; at the very least they NEED to put in an option to have numbers on all the note blocks, not just the first in a series, it's mind-numbingly dumb...said as someone who, again, sight reads classical music and usually gets 80-90% accuracy cold reading a new Iron Maiden song :D

Fuck the Internet in general. I'm over this 'all voices are equal' bullshit. In every arena. Experience and competency matters.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5090 on: December 09, 2020, 09:55:48 AM

My favorite pile-on was suggesting Ubi reverse the default orientation for the in-game fretboard. The concept is you're supposed to be looking 'through' the neck as if it were transparent. So the fat, low E is on top and the skinny high E is on the bottom. Except that's backwards from every form of musical notation I've ever encountered. I made the mistake of pointing it out, and how it inculcates bad habits. Also, it alienates actual musicians who don't know you can reverse it (the entire notation style is pretty sucky, tbh; at the very least they NEED to put in an option to have numbers on all the note blocks, not just the first in a series, it's mind-numbingly dumb...said as someone who, again, sight reads classical music and usually gets 80-90% accuracy cold reading a new Iron Maiden song :D
Most stable communities on the Internet will devolve into echo chambers eventually as those with strongly-held minority opinions get frustrated and leave. If the Rocksmith subreddit has decided that the through-the-neck view is the "one true way" to play Rocksmith, nothing you say is going to change the majority opinion. I'm one of the those that flipped the fretboard after my first try in Rocksmith cause I learned how to play guitar from tabs but lots of people have learned how to play the guitar, and well, from the default view in Rocksmith, so it's not like tab view is categorically better. It would've been nice if the game asked you up front whether or not you are familiar with guitar tabs and set the initial view based on that selection but it also wasn't hard to go look for the setting to switch things either, at least for me.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5091 on: December 09, 2020, 12:49:10 PM

It's why I love r/AskHistorians. It's so tightly moderated and that produces some really good expert answers. Not without cost to the mods--one of the mods published a scholarly paper detailing the abuse they all receive every day in tidal torrents because they remove so many posts to the group. Basically it's about three kinds of abuse:

a) Why don't you just let me post my links to Wikipedia, TV Tropes, Atlas Obscura and my associated pontificating that pretends that I have expert knowledge that is 100 percent a restatement of what I just read on Wikipedia?
b) Why don't you just let me post what I have deduced through my own mighty intellect must be the true answer to this question about obscure historical information because I know what is reasonable and likely to be true?
c) Why don't you let me make my white supremacist/far-right/incel rant about the stupidity of an answer from an expert?

There's also the minor variant d) of "why aren't you letting me plagiarize an answer that an actual expert wrote to a previous version of this same question and instead just posting a link to the previous answer?"

And the abuse is enormous--brigading sometimes, sometimes an aggrieved user doxxes the mod and showers them with real-life abuse including phone calls, etc and so on. So the cost in terms of labor time and stress to providing a high-value expert forum is really serious. I suppose when we think about it that way, it always has been--I briefly worked with the op-ed editor at a major daily newspaper in the 1990s and he got maybe two hundred unsolicited submissions every week, most of them from cranks who then sent angry letters and pleas and even death threats if they weren't published. But he also spent no more than about fifteen seconds looking at the first paragraph of a slush pile submission and maybe considered seriously one in every three or four hundred submissions if it wasn't coming from a known quantity. He threw everything else out without a second thought and they insta-tossed most letters and correspondence freely too. The thing that was also different is that mostly people accepted that this was the way that it was--the cranks were a relative handful of seriously deranged people.

But I really hope that the next turn of our cultural wheel is the recreation of more curated and edited spaces. I'd pay for an intelligently curated Reddit where the signal-to-noise ratio was vastly higher but where the editorial philosophy was open-minded and wide-ranging.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5092 on: December 20, 2020, 07:05:20 AM

Stirring Abyss is the X-Com inspired game you didn't know about and needed in your collection. Get it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178210/Stirring_Abyss/

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #5093 on: December 24, 2020, 02:37:00 PM

Stirring Abyss is the X-Com inspired game you didn't know about and needed in your collection. Get it.

Thanks for the heads up. I am enjoying everything about the game except for the Save system. Doesn't seem to be a mod out to allow unlimited saves, so I may be turning the difficulty down a lot, since my first attempt at play has resulted in the ship's cook being the sole survivor hiding within my mostly flooded ship.

Flooded so much it cannot rise to the surface, but not so much as to prevent it from ranging around the sea bottom. A very specific level of flooding indeed.

Edit: Nevermind about the save issue. I see you can access earlier saves from the intro menu.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 03:17:53 PM by Mandella »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5094 on: January 08, 2021, 09:58:25 AM

I download the demo and tried a bit of Monster Hunter: Rise. I just can't get past the control scheme. Fucking hell, it's bad.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5095 on: January 08, 2021, 11:08:05 AM

I've had it in my wishlist, the reviews seemed pretty mixed and I recall seeing a couple red flags in there (though I can't recall what they were).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5096 on: January 08, 2021, 12:00:14 PM

I download the demo and tried a bit of Monster Hunter: Rise. I just can't get past the control scheme. Fucking hell, it's bad.
If you think that's bad you should've tried playing MH 3/4 on a 3DS, sans-joystick attachment even awesome, for real But seriously yes the controls feel weird, at least at first, but you can get used to it if you play it enough, and they do make sense after you realize all the things you need to be able to do in the game. I.e. the game controls aren't deliberately trying to be obtuse -- there are good reasons for the way they are setup. There's also a limited amount of control customization in the demo that might make some things easier.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5097 on: January 09, 2021, 01:04:43 AM

If you think that's bad you should've tried playing MH 3/4 on a 3DS, sans-joystick attachment even awesome, for real But seriously yes the controls feel weird, at least at first, but you can get used to it if you play it enough, and they do make sense after you realize all the things you need to be able to do in the game. I.e. the game controls aren't deliberately trying to be obtuse -- there are good reasons for the way they are setup. There's also a limited amount of control customization in the demo that might make some things easier.
It's been a while since I've played MH:W -- I never really got into Iceborne -- but I'm digging the Rise demo so far and it's fun being back in the MH universe. Definitely can see myself spending a few hundred hours in Rise.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5098 on: January 28, 2021, 05:20:34 PM

Not sure if this belongs in Politics or Serious Business but the whole thing with Reddit randos buying GameStop shares to fuck with hedge funds short selling the stock is pretty hilarious to me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/reddit-gamestop-blackberry-1.5890039
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okQeFWYUIXc
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #5099 on: January 28, 2021, 07:47:26 PM

watching short sellers lose their shirts is something to cheer at least.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5100 on: January 29, 2021, 11:08:00 AM

We're discussing it in the Bury The Gold thread in Politics.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #5101 on: January 29, 2021, 04:00:47 PM

I don’t really get the success of Among Us. It’s a bunch of basic mini games interrupted every few minutes by a bunch of people with bad and horribly clipping microphones who use discord to scream and shout all over each other. It’s like work Zoom calls turned into a video game.

and it’s currently the hottest game on twitch and YouTube and I have absolutely no idea why
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5102 on: January 29, 2021, 04:38:14 PM

I don’t really get the success of Among Us. It’s a bunch of basic mini games interrupted every few minutes by a bunch of people with bad and horribly clipping microphones who use discord to scream and shout all over each other. It’s like work Zoom calls turned into a video game.

and it’s currently the hottest game on twitch and YouTube and I have absolutely no idea why
It's way past the peak of its popularity -- you are late by about 4 months.

It was popular because:

* It's a fun game to spectate when there's a good group of players playing if you like watching / listening to social interactions (see: Big Brother and a billion other "reality" TV shows)
* It let's players practice/flex their deductive reasoning skills (crew members)
* It let's players practice/flex their social engineering skills (imposters)
* It let's sociopaths and psychopaths be "paths" in a socially acceptable fashion (kidding, sort of)

The best moments for me are when it's down to 3 and the imposter manages to convince one of the crew to vote against the other.

Edit: reasoning
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 04:42:54 PM by Trippy »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #5103 on: January 30, 2021, 05:47:17 AM

I get that, I think.

Most of the time I get so massively pissed of by the bad audio setups that I just have to leave.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5104 on: January 30, 2021, 10:50:17 AM

Yeah it takes work and some money to get good quality streaming audio. If you watch a stream where the streamer has good audio but all the randos have shitty headset or ear bud mics all with varying volume levels and quality it’s still going to suck. The larger streamers, though, often play with other larger streamers and they usually know what to do to get things more consistent. And then of course there’s often at least person playing who thinks to best way to win arguments is to shout the loudest, which is always pleasant to listen to.

Edit: still
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5105 on: January 30, 2021, 04:07:52 PM

I think the other thing about Among Us is it builds on a huge wave of teenagers playing Werewolf, Mafia and variants thereof both offline and online over the last ten years and adds some fun little twists to the basic gameplay structure.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5106 on: February 22, 2021, 09:29:27 AM

Looks like the drift problem on PS5 controllers is a part flaw that should affect most or all controllers and is not an easy fix.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/ps5-dualsense-controller-has-417-hour-lifespan-according-to-new-tests-2885864
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5107 on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:01 AM

That doesn’t actually tell us why the PS5 controllers seem to be having more drift issues than the PS4 controller if they are using the same ALPS joystick module. I’ve broken plenty of buttons on PS3/PS4 controllers but never caused any sticks to drift even though I’m the kind of ham-fisted player who will unintentionally hold one or both sticks in when the action gets intense. There’s something else about the PS5 controller, perhaps related to either the haptic hardware directly or internal design compromises made to fit all that inside the controller that’s making the drifting more likely.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5108 on: February 22, 2021, 09:50:37 AM

Well the good news is that PS5 controllers practically grow on trees, whilst their parent consoles are still as common as bigfoot.

Seriously, how is that even a thing.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5109 on: February 22, 2021, 09:53:34 AM

I had to replace my PS4 controller last week, finally the rubber boot on top of the left thumbstick took a walk. I blame Myles Garrett (trying to shed blocks in Madden).
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: