Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992818 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #3535 on: February 07, 2019, 05:09:01 PM

1) Never speak in a team meeting again unless the question is directed directly to you.
2) If a question is directed to you, your answer should always be "I'm not sure, do you have any thoughts or opinions on this"
My boss has been chastising us for about 18 months now and everyone on the team decided this is the strategy we're following. Staff meetings consist of him talking, asking us questions, and no one saying anything. He visibly gets frustrated and annoyed with it.

Their frustration is an added bonus.  These are also the type of managers that design a new program with out an input,  asks for feedback at the roll-out meeting, then jumps on anyone that provides negative feedback.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3536 on: February 07, 2019, 08:27:32 PM

Man, with all this doom and gloom, I just want to be at least one voice that says "I like my job".  Good luck guys.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3537 on: February 07, 2019, 08:45:39 PM

Man, with all this doom and gloom, I just want to be at least one voice that says "I like my job".  Good luck guys.

Hey, at least it kicks me out of my complacence. I don't love my job, but I at least liked being good at it and being recognized for that. In comes the new guy, and now I'm just some old engineer that needs to show proper reverence for the title. Oh well, at least I know he won't be looking out for my best interests.

Time to chat with some old colleagues. Maybe that at least help me make sense of this guy.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3538 on: February 07, 2019, 10:20:08 PM

Unemployment numbers are way too low to put up with horseshit.

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3539 on: February 08, 2019, 12:42:42 AM

Man, you people think you have a terrible boss......

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3540 on: February 08, 2019, 12:50:13 AM

Man, you people think you have a terrible boss......

True, but the difference is that we all get invited to your boss's Town Halls and are subject to the same shit as you.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3541 on: February 08, 2019, 05:37:58 PM

Miss you guys.   Heart
Bit of a 'job' update for me.  I finally got hired (permanently) at the lab... a stone's throw away from a BSc in EE also, but right now I gotta pay the bills.
Things got a bit rough as a student-intern there for a while, and the whole research post-doc/bacc lifestyle isn't for me.  I crave stability... so hopefully I can get some.

... and hopefully this means I'll be gaming more.  Literally, I've been shutdown gaming-wise, hence why I haven't been here.  But I'll be back bitchez!  I'll be back.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
WayAbvPar

Reply #3542 on: February 09, 2019, 11:40:03 AM

1 Week into the new job and I honestly can't tell the difference between this and my old place.

Except the money is better, I guess.

But this isn't going to last.

Just finished my first week as well. Got jury duty postponed until next year. Was late my first day when we had a snow storm (I live on a hill and getting off of it with any snow on the road is tough), then the office closed early Friday due to a big snow storm. The universe is not happy with my new employment, obviously. If the universe wants to float a winning PowerBall ticket my way I will be happy to retire.

Forgot how terrifying everything is when you are the new guy. Everyone is very nice and helpful, but I wish I could skip forward 3 months so I am not paralyzed for fear of making more work for someone else cleaning up my ignorant mistakes.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3543 on: February 09, 2019, 12:04:30 PM

Six weeks to learn a job, six months to know a job. As a general rule that has worked for me. Hang in there, and remember - they want you there and need your help.

The first few weeks is always problematic for me, too. Last contract back in October I got a very bad cold for my entire second week of work my doc put me on bed rest for the last half of the week. It was an entirely open office concept so I was hacking and coughing on anyone within a 10' radius. Which was about six people, because open offices are cool like that. Luckily my boss was really cool with me taking that week basically off.

Also, for the January 2012 snowstorm I also had to call off my third day of work because coming across the West Seattle bridge to downtown is pretty much a no-go in a snowstorm. I feel like employers in Seattle are generally far more accepting of life getting in the way of work. In the Midwest it was pretty common to have a boss tell me if I'm late or absent for any reason in the first 90 days to not bother coming back. And they usually meant it.

I start my new gig on Tuesday, so we'll see - another snow storm is coming that day.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3544 on: February 09, 2019, 12:12:32 PM

Fuck open office plans with a rusty chainsaw. They are the work of devils.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3545 on: February 09, 2019, 01:03:54 PM

Man you guys and your "I missed a day or two because of sickness/weather in my first couple weeks of work."

When I started my current job, I called in sick on day 10 because my appendix burst and was in the hospital for the next 9 days and off the week after that recovering at home.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #3546 on: February 10, 2019, 06:21:48 AM

Fuck open office plans with a rusty chainsaw. They are the work of devils.

Totally.  best layouts are open seating with a quiet area and a collaboration area. 

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3547 on: February 10, 2019, 06:31:25 AM

Miss you guys.   Heart
Bit of a 'job' update for me.  I finally got hired (permanently) at the lab... a stone's throw away from a BSc in EE also, but right now I gotta pay the bills.
Things got a bit rough as a student-intern there for a while, and the whole research post-doc/bacc lifestyle isn't for me.  I crave stability... so hopefully I can get some.

... and hopefully this means I'll be gaming more.  Literally, I've been shutdown gaming-wise, hence why I haven't been here.  But I'll be back bitchez!  I'll be back.
Good to hear man!  Getting a normal job of after years of student life style is oddly a relief.  I thrived at school, and for years the thought of ever leaving and going to 'the real world' seemed dreadful to me.

But then I actually did, and the normality/stability is such a fucking relief over the endless stress of huge research papers and cramming 20 hours a day for exams.  Also, being able to buy things without the fear in the back of my mind that I might starve before the next paycheck is also nifty.  That was just undergrad, and i know the post-doc world is even worst.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3548 on: February 11, 2019, 10:38:57 AM

A shiny new donkey to the person who brings me a foolproof meeting audio system.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3549 on: February 11, 2019, 10:53:53 AM

Being in the same room.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3550 on: February 11, 2019, 11:13:28 AM

Touche. Those travel expenses, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3551 on: February 11, 2019, 11:39:13 AM

We started using Zoom recently and it's not bad.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3552 on: February 11, 2019, 11:39:33 AM

What's the issue(s) with your current system?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3553 on: February 11, 2019, 12:58:22 PM

We started using Zoom recently and it's not bad.

I think he means the hardware.

But yes, Zoom is the best quality video conferencing software available right now.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3554 on: February 11, 2019, 01:09:01 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3555 on: February 11, 2019, 02:23:53 PM

A shiny new donkey to the person who brings me a foolproof meeting audio system.

Just audio?  If you want full on teleconference I really like Lifesize but the equipment is pricey.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3556 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:59 PM

Heh.

Today the problem was that the meeting was held in a large room designed for speakers at the front (dangling mics) rather than around the room. Then we have some low-talkers. So I put on headphones at max volume but still couldn't hear things well, since the mics weren't picking up the low-talkers very well. Finally, one of the remote people says something and I am glad I already have tinnitus.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3557 on: February 11, 2019, 03:32:58 PM

OIC. We use Polycoms with expansion microphones for the larger conference rooms, plus the Zoom / Polycom connector.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #3558 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:35 PM

The foolproof method?  Ours involves technicians who have dealt with clueless faculty members and administrators for decades, who will chase you down and remind you in no uncertaIn terms that no matter what kind of “teacher voice” you have, people 300 miles away cannot fucking hear you so speak into the goddamn microphone AND HOLD IT CLOSER YOU GODDAMN IDIOT!

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3559 on: February 12, 2019, 10:25:08 AM

The whole scene is somehow stuck in the middle ages. Even if the tech is solved, people are idiots. Even smart people are idiots in this space.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3560 on: February 12, 2019, 10:41:38 AM

It is actually extremely difficult to build a conference room audio system that both picks up voices in the room clearly but does not feedback and/or pick up mouse farts and pen clicks at a level that they are distracting without needing a trained technician playing with levels and microphone placement.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3561 on: February 12, 2019, 12:46:03 PM

Right. File this under Venting.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3562 on: February 12, 2019, 10:49:55 PM

And beyond any technical challenges, you have another unsolvable problem.  People are different in what is acceptable, disctracting and/or tolerable in terms of sound/noise.  Good luck with that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
WayAbvPar

Reply #3563 on: February 20, 2019, 09:42:27 PM

The real answer is to STOP HAVING FUCKING MEETINGS. I could probably count on one hand the number of meetings of the hundreds and hundreds I have attended where something of actual substance was achieved. Seriously- if there are more than 5 people in your meeting, nothing is getting done.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3564 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:30 PM

JC this ^^^

If you have to have a meeting, make it 30 minutes.  Anything else has to be an exception.  And know how to run them.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3565 on: February 26, 2019, 10:37:55 AM

It was less meeting and more technical summit, a meeting of minds to guide the conversion process of our C++ Forecast on Demand system into a container/kube paradigm. We'd not have done it if we could have avoided it.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3566 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:11 AM

I'm almost tempted to interview with Amazon just for the practice. They keep asking, why not take advantage of it? Well, other than the fact that I don't want to work there.

Heh, meeting audio. There's a lot of low talkers in my dev scrums. At least they're in an enclosed room, so I can just crank up the volume and at worst tell them to speak up. Ad hoc meetings: close your goddamn office door. Hallway chit chat is nearly impossible to filter out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:46:37 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #3567 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:10 AM

always interview if someone wants you to
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3568 on: February 27, 2019, 10:54:30 AM

Yes, interviewing practice is good.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #3569 on: March 01, 2019, 02:23:44 PM

I'm almost tempted to interview with Amazon just for the practice. They keep asking, why not take advantage of it? Well, other than the fact that I don't want to work there.

Heh, meeting audio. There's a lot of low talkers in my dev scrums. At least they're in an enclosed room, so I can just crank up the volume and at worst tell them to speak up. Ad hoc meetings: close your goddamn office door. Hallway chit chat is nearly impossible to filter out.

Agilefall is going to be the death of me.

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: