Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992863 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3465 on: November 26, 2018, 11:21:34 AM

The job posting does use wording about being OK in a chaotic environment.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3466 on: November 27, 2018, 12:10:36 AM

That's code for "our management doesn't know what they are doing" and/or "you are going to be working waaaay more than 40 hours roflcopters".

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3467 on: November 27, 2018, 10:39:25 AM

Vendor manager in a chaotic environment sounds like it would be perfect for raking in the kickbacks.  The only way such a position would be appealing to me would be if I could do it in the most unethical manner possible.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3468 on: November 28, 2018, 12:51:18 PM

The long hours don't exist.  Some of the vendors are probably NCEP, NWS, and ECMWF.  I'm really not sure what that guy did in the entirety.  Mostly he just reminded me to put my project hours into the system.

We still need a dev-ops engineer.  Feel free to interpret that title as you like.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3469 on: November 28, 2018, 01:18:07 PM

heh, no i am stuck in some weird situation where i jumped through so many hoops with the 3+ month onboarding process to get my current position that I can't bring myself to cut bait and run until I have discovered what my entire job entails.   I am 10 weeks in and still have not contributed anything or really figured out what I will be able to contribute (assuming I can contribute at all).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:19:58 PM by Salamok »
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3470 on: November 29, 2018, 10:14:21 AM

Fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck!  Mob

My noisy nemesis from earlier this year just go relocated to a cube catty corner from me.  RIP my sanity having to listen to her voice again.  Cry 

At least the head admin said she'd get me a pair of noise cancelling headphones.  Guess I better get used to wearing those full time now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3471 on: November 29, 2018, 11:49:28 AM

I'm getting some complaints about my Jabra Elites, because people don't look for them and walk up behind me and go into a long explanation of something and I never even know they're there.

Not sure I see the problem.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3472 on: December 12, 2018, 04:19:00 AM

On week 3 in Manchester. Supposedly I get to go home on Friday.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3473 on: December 12, 2018, 04:23:16 AM

On week 3 in Manchester. Supposedly I get to go home on Friday.  awesome, for real
Manchester, UK or Manchester, NH?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

Reply #3474 on: December 12, 2018, 05:12:58 AM

UK. Hey, at least it stopped raining.

-Rasix
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3475 on: December 14, 2018, 02:27:20 PM

Newly proposed apple campus is going to be walking distance from my house, is it possible to get a job there w/o being an avid user of their products?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3476 on: December 14, 2018, 02:28:08 PM

Depends on the job.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3477 on: December 14, 2018, 03:39:00 PM

Sell the house. That's called a winning lottery ticket. Move to actual Austin.  awesome, for real
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3478 on: December 15, 2018, 02:50:05 AM

Sucks to be you. And it stopped raining to make way for the snow.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3479 on: December 15, 2018, 10:15:00 AM

Sucks to be you. And it stopped raining to make way for the snow.

There's a football game being played in London on the TV behind me, and holy shit, is it pissing down raining there.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3480 on: December 15, 2018, 10:52:24 AM

Sell the house. That's called a winning lottery ticket. Move to actual Austin.  awesome, for real

Hey, I may be in WilCo but I have an Austin address!  An extra 100k in home equity 3 years from now isn't exactly a major lifestyle change.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3481 on: December 15, 2018, 12:06:08 PM

What's the median home price in that area?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3482 on: December 15, 2018, 12:08:53 PM

~$450k (you'll see numbers down to about $260k though and that includes uhhhh, a lot of nothingnowhereshacks/countryland)

Edit: I should make things perfectly clear - the Apple campus isn't REALLY in Austin. Anyone who lives near the actual city will make excuses not to drive that far north.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3483 on: December 15, 2018, 12:33:31 PM

Yeah so ~25% or ~$110K bump initial bump in property value sounds reasonable given a $450K median home sale price. If you hold on to it longer, though, you could potentially see a doubling in value within 5 or 6 years given how many people may eventually be employed there.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3484 on: December 15, 2018, 04:04:42 PM

Yeah. He's gonna do well. The last house on my block (of 15 nearly identical homes), just sold for $159k more than mine.

Getting in early was the play.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3485 on: December 19, 2018, 02:06:16 PM

Been a year at my current job now, got a nice raise now, another nice raise this summer, now I just better make sure that the company dont go nuts during the summer.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:12:10 PM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3486 on: December 24, 2018, 11:46:14 AM

For the first time in my life, I'm feeling like a nervous wreck heading into Christmas because of tight work deadlines that were set right before the holiday.  I do not enjoy it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3487 on: December 26, 2018, 07:31:38 AM

For the first time in my life, I'm feeling like a nervous wreck heading into Christmas because of tight work deadlines that were set right before the holiday.  I do not enjoy it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3488 on: December 29, 2018, 10:59:58 AM

Took the last 10 days off from applying for jobs...assuming most decisions are going to be made in January anyway. Will go back to full time searching then.

This sucks.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3489 on: December 31, 2018, 09:18:32 AM

Sorry. As you no doubt know, yearly/quarterly budgets cause posting to come in waves.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3490 on: December 31, 2018, 10:00:36 AM

Took the last 10 days off from applying for jobs...assuming most decisions are going to be made in January anyway. Will go back to full time searching then.

This sucks.

My contract wrapped up on the 28th, so I'm back to the grind as well. Good luck. I'm trying to stay out of the east side jobs, easily 80% of the postings are Redmond/Bellevue/Kirkland. That commute suuuuucks from West Seattle. Nothing better than 3+ hours commuting per day.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3491 on: December 31, 2018, 02:11:45 PM

The one good thing about where I work: we received our budget in full in September so the shutdown doesn't cause us any problems. One less thing to worry about...
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3492 on: January 04, 2019, 12:13:38 PM

The one good thing about where I work: we received our budget in full in September so the shutdown doesn't cause us any problems. One less thing to worry about...

We are in a situation where all of us contractors are funded and most of our government counterparts are on furlough, things are quiet and we are losing a lot of traction on our projects.
Rasix

Reply #3493 on: January 09, 2019, 03:38:00 PM

Wife is furloughed now. Their department had 2 more weeks of funding than other areas, so she just stopped work and getting paid on Monday. It's kind of awesome having a stay at home wife, but this shit needs to end. We'll be fine, but I'd rather not eat into savings for how ever long this tantrum lasts.

Looks like I'm getting extra vacation for my emergency Manchester trip. This is fine, but I'd rather just have money. I have enough vacation. Give me some sort of bullshit award or soemthing.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3494 on: January 09, 2019, 10:32:17 PM

I'm the total opposite.  Even when we get authorized for extra overtime pay, I specifically request comp time instead.  I have plenty of money, but I blow my vacation almost as fast as I get it.

Also, despite our main HR department telling me so, looks like they continued funding my job using a different pot of money after the shut down.  So not actually getting any of my two week vacation that started the same day as the shut down back.  Also, have to keep showing up to work.  I never get furloughed.  :(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:37:49 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3495 on: January 09, 2019, 10:40:01 PM

I got an interview next week with a company that is a mile from my house. I cannot tell you all enough how excited I am for the possibility of a 15 minute walk to work instead of a 60-75 minute bus ride.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3496 on: January 10, 2019, 08:08:52 AM

Amazing. Jelly.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3497 on: January 10, 2019, 11:18:30 PM

I got an interview next week with a company that is a mile from my house. I cannot tell you all enough how excited I am for the possibility of a 15 minute walk to work instead of a 60-75 minute bus ride.

That is awesome! Hope it works out for you- especially since the viaduct goes away in less than 24 hours, which will utterly and completely fuck traffic in/out/around/near Seattle for the next century.

I have been using Dice/Indeed/LinkedIn/StateUnemploymentPage for most of my job searches. Finally got around to completing my profile in ZipRecruiter, and am damned glad I did. Have one interview scheduled, another place has asked for interview times (and is like 4 miles from my house...ONE TIME!), and a third has asked for salary requirements** and if an 8-5 schedule works for me. I am sure much of it is because the new year has brought new projects and full budgets, but I vastly prefer the interface on ZR and feel like their setup works well for employers as well.

On Indeed, for example, maybe a third of the listings allow you to apply directly with your Indeed profile (and the resume on file there), while the rest take you offsite to either other third party processors, or to the company's own website. You almost always have to create a fucking profile, and then get on with the actual application. ZipRecruiter is all one click to apply. I fucking love it.

**Anyone have advice on answering questions about salary? I don't want to scare anyone off with overly high requirements, but I also don't want to take 30% under market value if I can possibly avoid it. Any HR folks have insight on how this works on your end?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:20:22 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3498 on: January 11, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

**Anyone have advice on answering questions about salary? I don't want to scare anyone off with overly high requirements, but I also don't want to take 30% under market value if I can possibly avoid it. Any HR folks have insight on how this works on your end?

My schtick is usually along the lines of "I love what I do and the the people I work with are a ton of fun but I feel like I have so much more to offer above and beyond the scope of my current position.  I am not looking to make a lateral move my current salary is x for doing y and my hope is that that any offer I receive will reflect increased responsibilities."

Other than the tons of spam (which you can opt out of I think) I also thought ziprecruiter was pretty good.  I love the feedback they give you on people viewing your application.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3499 on: January 12, 2019, 08:35:15 AM

Alternatively, ask around about the position you're looking at, try to find the market standard.

And proceed to lie.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: