Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 20, 2019, 11:35:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 332121 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3570 on: March 03, 2019, 10:08:09 AM

This whole automated guided vehicle business is interesting. You can almost become an expert on the products (not the implementation) in a matter of weeks. The market is so brand new.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3571 on: March 04, 2019, 09:25:20 AM

I think this is true of AI as well. Or maybe I think that the experts don't understand what they are actually creating or doing.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3572 on: March 06, 2019, 07:20:54 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3573 on: March 06, 2019, 10:20:38 AM

Changed jobs in Oct, not sure if I mentioned it here. Sorta why I've been MIA for the last 6 months working on getting up to speed.

Moved over to the private wealth industry from construction. To say it's more professional here is like saying that Activision is slightly corporate.

CPA, Sports blogger, Mount and Blade enthusiast
Braves by the Numbers, my sports blog
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3574 on: March 07, 2019, 08:15:12 PM

Sounds like a move upward, congrats.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3575 on: March 08, 2019, 12:05:40 AM

Resigned from my job I've been at since 2008 -- the bullshit was getting a bit too thick (plus five people out of ten have left over the last 3 months). It wasn't an easy thing to do, and now I'm discovering how !fun! it is to document random python scripts you wrote 8 years ago to solve a particular edge case.

But more importantly, on the day of my resignation my linkedin lit up with an SAP recruiter hitting me with a job offer that's scarily close to what I've been doing so far, followed shortly by another similar request from LogMeIn (also scarily accurate) -- both of them had to pay cash monayz for it too since they're not on my contact list. This is on top of the standing job offer from a new startup launched by some ex-colleagues that was a factor in my resignation (and tbh I'll probably end up taking that in the end anyway).

Thing is, I have made zero changes to my super-minimalist linkedin profile in like 3 years, and all the options in the job seeking menu are still various flavors of "no", "nope", and "don't bug me". What's also spooky is that instead of the random recruiter spam I got before, the job offers are very specific to my field AND my specialization (application / product security and secure software development). Have the megacorps finally deployed some new evil predictive AI? I find it hard to believe that appsec / product security folks are SO rare that we (and our companies) are stalker-worthy...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:09:57 AM by Zetor »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3576 on: March 08, 2019, 08:17:05 AM

I'm discovering how !fun! it is to document random python scripts you wrote 8 years ago to solve a particular edge case.

I'm fond of pointing out that the compiler can read it, so don't give up, meatbag.

Have the megacorps finally deployed some new evil predictive AI? I find it hard to believe that appsec / product security folks are SO rare that we (and our companies) are stalker-worthy...

Actually I think there has been quite a lot of maturity in the old data-mining stuff we used to hear a lot about. I'm not surprised nor upset that corps are able to better target me for anything, whether job offers or advertisements.

Also, yes, good employees are rare these days. It's an job-seeker's market now. I suppose it's fortunate that IBM and my Weather leaders are working so hard to keep me, but if they weren't then I'd easily have another job as soon as I wanted one and probably for more money.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3577 on: March 08, 2019, 08:45:42 AM

Sounds like a move upward, congrats.

Thanks, it was a side move with a higher ceiling really. I'd reached the pinnacle of where the construction job would take me. This one I've got potential to be running a much more profitable company, or at the very least learn a bunch of skills that will carry over into anything I want to do later.

But the main reason I left the old job was the owner couldn't handle his personal finances and thought the company was the solution to that problem. I don't play that.

CPA, Sports blogger, Mount and Blade enthusiast
Braves by the Numbers, my sports blog
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: