Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Free To Play starting September 10, 2010 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free To Play starting September 10, 2010  (Read 6679 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: August 18, 2010, 07:07:44 AM

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES
THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™ WILL BE FREE TO PLAY STARTING SEPTEMBER 10, 2010

Turbine and Codemasters to Release Free-to-Play Version of Award-winning Online Game Across North America and Europe

WESTWOOD, MA – August 18, 2010 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today that Turbine’s The Lord of the Rings Online™ (LOTRO) will introduce its innovative new pricing model, allowing players to download the game and play for free and purchase expansions, quest packs, items, and account services a la carte from the new LOTRO Store starting September 10, 2010.

Extending its award-winning story, LOTRO delivers the ultimate adventure featuring the massive world of Middle-earth brought to life through state-of-the-art graphics and gameplay, and a rich set of features that until now could only be found in premium subscription-based online games.

“Our LOTRO beta program has been a huge success and we want to thank all of our players who worked with us to get the game ready for launch,” said Kate Paiz, Executive Producer of LOTRO, Turbine. “Our unique pricing model has revolutionized the industry and starting in September, players will be able to choose how they pay for and play one of the world’s best online games and we can’t wait to welcome millions of new players to Middle-earth!”

LOTRO will offer players unlimited choice!

* Free means Free! – Players will download LOTRO by visiting www.lotro.com and join with millions of other adventurers as they explore the most complete and authentic recreation of Middle-earth ever created and participate in LOTRO’s award-winning epic story up to level 50 for free.
    * Visit the new LOTRO Store!  -- The LOTRO Store is loaded with thousands of convenience items as well as expansion packs, premium content, additional character slots, potions, character customization and more! The LOTRO Store is seamlessly integrated into the game and lets the player identify new and exciting ways to enhance and customize their experience using points which can be purchased in the store or earned through gameplay.
    * Be a LOTRO VIP! – Players who elect  to become a LOTRO VIP will have unlimited access to all premium content, receive priority server access, 5 character slots, a shared bank slot, and a monthly allotment of points to spend in the new LOTRO Store.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:28:45 PM by Trippy »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:15:01 AM

You need to have an active sub when they do the f2p switch in order to get the turbine point bonus, right? 'Cos my sub runs out on Sept 6 ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  Heartbreak

edit: my sub actually runs out on Sept 6, and you need to have an active sub on Sept 7 for the headstart, ffffuuuu^2!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:58:41 AM by Zetor »

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:28 AM

so who's continuing to play from here?  A poll on my guild from Elindilmir shows most people are "wait-and-see" but "not playing".  They either have done the Beta and want to see what happens with LI's and end game before going back, or they did not try Beta and want feedback before going back.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:59:30 AM

I'll be continuing my sub.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:05:41 AM

I have (had) a lifetime sub for some fuck all stupid reason that I bought back when they had that big sale on them.  I probably wont be picking this up again unless they add some interesting content and/or tone down the deeds.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:06:50 AM

I'm a lifer, so none of this really affects me. I'm looking forward to the MvP revamp though. A good portion of the store items also interest me, like the horse quest skipping thing, and the deed reducers.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:31:39 AM

Yeah there's a bunch of store crap I want, I just have to avoid the temptation to put more money in for more points than I already get for the lifetime thing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:47:12 AM

I'm a lifer, so none of this really affects me. I'm looking forward to the MvP revamp though. A good portion of the store items also interest me, like the horse quest skipping thing, and the deed reducers.

When are you coming back.  The kin chat is dead without you to talk to.

As for me, I have a 3 month sub for $30.  I'll be on the next 3 month albeit spottily.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:20 AM

Doesn't Bloodworth only play like for one specified hour a week on Wednesdays or something at like 5 pm Eastern? I've literally never seen him on.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 12:02:49 PM

Time is my enemy.

Doesn't Bloodworth only play like for one specified hour a week on Wednesdays or something at like 5 pm Eastern? I've literally never seen him on.

When I was very active, yes. I mostly duo-ed with my girl (Issa + a billion alts. I created a monster!) or trio with Rattran, I usually only have time for one game in my life, and I have been doing a round of various non-mmg games lately, also Wurm takes much of my free time. But i'm on a roll over there.

But we could definitely make a set day/time again. The best time for us would be Wednesdays between 6-9/10 EST. Let me talk to the little lady.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 12:10:34 PM

After reading fully all the Beta verbiage and player feedback I don't see the F2P plans as that bad.  Originally I was pretty skeptical, but other than pots and rep items it doesn't seem too bad an offering. Of course, we will have to see what Turbine actually ends up selling and what the new community will be like by Oct.10. My wife and I are still on the sidelines since before Vol3 launched.  Wait and see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:59 PM

I'll be coming back when the F2P rolls out.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 01:34:57 PM

I'll be back more when I have some free time, right around when the F2P launches. Too much work and a girl are keeping me distracted now that I'm home.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 02:36:45 PM

I'm subbed as a lifer as well, so I'm actually looking forward to using my theoretical money to buy more pretend space to put my imaginary junk in.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 03:25:11 PM

I'm subbed right now and playing with a handful of friends.  Really looking forward to f2p and the offerings!  I hope I can buy a fast fucking mount and some hard to get traits and whatnot. 

The game has a bright future; Enedwaith, Isengard, Rohan and further on. 
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 03:33:15 PM

I'll still have a month or so left on my sub when this rolls out and assuming things don't blow up catastrophically, I still see myself keeping it going.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:17 PM

I'm not really 'amazed' by the game so to speak, but there seem to be advantage in having the Mines of Moria for $39.99 before F2P starts - still considering. Trial Expires in 3 days - about to hit L30 and try out skirmish later.

Do I have to maintain subs to keep my extra char slots if I purchase Mines of Moria now and unsub during F2P?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 03:25:48 AM

Pretty sure those extra slots are grayed out.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 08:21:28 AM

I got a new AC adapter, so will be back starting... tonight!   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 06:48:10 PM

I'm subbed as a lifer as well, so I'm actually looking forward to using my theoretical money to buy more pretend space to put my imaginary junk in.

If you like imaginary junk you should play minecraft.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Free To Play starting September 10, 2010  
Jump to: