Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: 10 Day Trial - How far can I go? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 Day Trial - How far can I go?  (Read 17292 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 12:13:12 PM

Yeah, unless you really dig crafting, don't worry too much about leveling it up.  Once you hit 30 you'll have super easy access to filler gear via Skirmishes.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 12:30:09 PM

Played about 4 hours this weekend and got my burglar to level 16.  Doing deeds helped break up the boredom a bit. 

The kin is a ghost town. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 05:44:40 PM

Played about 4 hours this weekend and got my burglar to level 16.  Doing deeds helped break up the boredom a bit. 

The kin is a ghost town. 

It ebs and flows.  My laptop AC Adapter went Tango Uniform last friday, I should be back later this week.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 07:54:21 PM

I was messing about in Lonelands. It was great at first, then you start going further and further away from the quest givers.
What frustrated me the most was hunting for a dozen stealthed wolves. And too many spiders, not enough wargs.

I hit level 28 and cooled off.

Question: Just how much hit bonus is a sword?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:29 AM

There's a ruin, south of the Forsaken Inn, where you'll find more stealthed wolves than you'll know what to do with. They hang out near the Arnorian relics that you have to pick up for a different quest.

I share your frustration about the wargs. Turbine could have done a better job of distributing the spawns.

I have no idea about the sword hit bonus. I tend to let the dps and bonus stats determine which weapons my melee toons use.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 09:06:11 AM

Yeah that spot. I was on a mining trip, mounted and all, when suddenly three wolves just pop out of stealth and start tearing the horse up AFTER I turned in their kill quest. FFS. I don't know, something about this long-distrance travel and mob placement seems off. It's almost as if the devs are trying their best to slow us down and when this thought occured, a little voice in my head is telling me not to give them my sub money and just wait for f2p to go live.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:43 AM

Yeah that spot. I was on a mining trip, mounted and all, when suddenly three wolves just pop out of stealth and start tearing the horse up AFTER I turned in their kill quest. FFS. I don't know, something about this long-distrance travel and mob placement seems off. It's almost as if the devs are trying their best to slow us down and when this thought occured, a little voice in my head is telling me not to give them my sub money and just wait for f2p to go live.

It gets worse before it gets better.  I can make it to 30 and then it starts to really drag.  I usually grit my teeth, but can't seem to get past 35.  I've made it to 35 on 3 toons now and lose the will to keep going. 

This gives me an idea: What is there to do after level 40 that makes the game worth grinding past 40 for?  I doubt that I'll ever run in a pug, so keep that in mind.  Is there a reason to level past 35 or is this another case like CoH/CoV where you've pretty much seen the solo game once you hit the ability to skirmish?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 09:35:05 AM

If I could change one gameplay element in LotRO, it would be to un-stealth the stealthed mobs. Or else make them very, very rare. Getting "surprised" like that can have its uses and be fun. But if there's a variety of stealthed wolf, lynx, bog monster, or whatever lurking in some part of every single zone, then it's being overused. And it's too annoying to overuse.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 09:44:18 AM

This gives me an idea: What is there to do after level 40 that makes the game worth grinding past 40 for?  I doubt that I'll ever run in a pug, so keep that in mind.  Is there a reason to level past 35 or is this another case like CoH/CoV where you've pretty much seen the solo game once you hit the ability to skirmish?

Legendary Items. Although it's debatable whether they're actually worthwhile, since it's such a lottery as to whether you get an item with traits on it that you like, and it's a massive grind/lottery to get good relics/gems/etc to put in the sockets.

I think you have to be 45+ to start the quest chain that leads to LIs. You might have to have the Mines of Moria expansion too.

In terms of gameplay, the LI's are the only thing you need to level that high for. You need to get to 50+ to meaningfully quest and/or explore in Moria and Lorien/Mirkwood, but those are settings as opposed to gameplay.

Other 40+ zones include Angmar, the Misty Mountains, and Forochel, if you're looking to see more of the world.

Edit to add: also at 35, you can go do that horrible time-eating quest to be granted the privilege to spend 4 gold on a real horse. I consider the time and money to be worth it because a fast horse makes getting around a lot nicer. Seriously it's so much better once you get that horse. (maybe you can read "better" as "less tedious", but you get the idea)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:49:55 AM by Hutch »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 11:06:48 AM

It might be very well worth your time to grind up/buy items for the following factions if you are planning to go through the entire epic:

Elves of Rivendell, for the 1 hr cooldown port back to Rivendell
Council of the North, so you can use their @#$#$%$ horse route
Wardens of Annuminas, same reason as Council of the North

I'm on the step in Forochel now but I don't seem to need to farm their faction up, instead one of their horse routes is gated by a quest that goes ALL OVER THE HUGE MAP.

As for reasons to level, if you enjoy skirmishes, the higher level you are, the more choices you have, you get access to another new skirmish every 5 levels or so.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 07:23:20 AM

I hit level 20 last night.  It went pretty smoothly as I was chatting with a friend on skype while playing.  I noticed that the trip to level 20 was much faster than it was in the past.  I think they may have boosted xp a bit.  I bought my noobie horse and picked up the quests for Barrow Downs.  We'll see how the next 10 levels go.

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26:29 PM

I've been sticking with Breeland so far, almost finished with Lonelands.

Do the Elves & Dwarves share a common quest zone or what? Cause I haven't done a single one of them at Lvl 29

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 04:29:48 PM

Elves and Dwarves start in Ered Luin, and have their initial quest chains there. Roughly equivalent to Combe and Staddle for Men, and the Shire for Hobbits.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 05:36:35 AM

Topped off to Lvl 31. Skirmish is pretty rapid gains and nice gear to barter for. It felt much better to have mobs coming after you instead. I might do it again at Lvl 33 to gear up.
Had to play Captain Healer today doing an elite quest. Loremaster & Hunter play DPS while I heal-bot. Last-stand a couple of times because I don't have self-heals. Intense.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 06:33:32 AM

Yeah, self-heals are the captain 'achilles heel'. You can use the herald heal (or the trait that makes muster courage restore hp, but that bars you from using a herald, so not a good idea for leveling) and revealing mark (heals you for x% of damage done), that's about it. Rest is praying for crits on dev strike / pressing attack so you can get a rallying cry up; in skirmishes it's worth it to go for the weakest mobs first so you can open up with your defeat responses right off (some bosses are always the #1 target though). Another strategy is to kite away from the baddies and let the other party members get aggro back (you get some 'withdraw' skills later on that reduce your aggro too).

Later you can trait Defiance, which allows you to sit in last stand for a significant amount of time (25 sec?), and after it wears off you get a small heal. Follow that up with a potion, herald heal, big-damage skills and damage-taken debuffs (so you get bigger heals via revealing mark) and you're back in business! Not as good as a WOW paladin bubble-heal, but it's decent.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 06:41:03 AM

I'm liking the Captain's class a lot. It's right up what I expected it to be. It could hurt a little seeing that Runekeeper just melting faces in 2-3 seconds, but switching heals while whacking things up feels good, without the tanking responsibility. Although sometimes I'm too scared to DPS without that Withdraw skill yet. I let my Herald of Hope tank.

And to comment on Heralds -

WTF is that class trait that boost Might & Agility standards by 5 for?! That's just a pathetic waste of slot.

Between the three of them (War, Hope & Victory), I'm guessing Hope is probably the best of them all. 200 HP is a life saver with diseases that reduces Vitality to 1(!) and in-combat regen ticks. They all do the same damage across the board, so I'm not seeing any advantage in having +30 STR & AGI while soloing. I can't parry or evade for nuts, and 30 STR seems so meager compared to 200 HP.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 07:13:29 AM

Heralds: I use Hope almost exclusively for soloing. War is ok when you're solofarming low level mobs (for craft drops, deeds or whatever) and if your group has no survivability / power management issues. Victory is very good in groups, the healers and some other classes will love you for it. It's also nice for reducing downtime when soloing against not-too-hard mobs. (edit: however, just using food is enough to almost eliminate downtime)

Also keep in mind that they're revamping heralds when F2P comes; the war herald will do more damage, for instance.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:15:59 AM by Zetor »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:45 AM

In a group, Victory is great, more power = more skills for many classes. ICPR is great, just ask a Champ. Though for soloing, I use a crit Banner of War for the boosted damage. I think my Captain is at 58 or so.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: 10 Day Trial - How far can I go?  
Jump to: