Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: 10 Day Trial - How far can I go? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 Day Trial - How far can I go?  (Read 17287 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:37 AM

I just played 2 days at Brandywine with my Captain, Farkov. Had to re-learn the areas a bit since the beta trial was slightly different.
Considering I have 8 days left on Trial before subbing, should I aim for mastering my crafting skills? Seems awesome to be able to make weapons at low level, the greatswords at Lv 7, 14, and 16 being slightly above or on par with quest rewards ( I really HATE missing )

Also, since I've got no mail access, that means no auction as well, will it make it harder for me to skill up?

So my aim during Trial is:
1. Getting a mount Lv 20 - How much cash do I need?
2. At least Journeyman Weaponsmith to powergear myself past L20

Comments and recommendations would be appreciated. Is trial account open for kinship invite?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:08 AM

The level 20 mount costs 200 or 220 silver, something like that. Easily affordable at that level.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:25 AM

Let me know how it's going.  I've been toying with the idea of renewing my sub with the $30 for 3 month deal. I'm just not sure I can make it past level 35. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:55:23 AM

I did manage to hit Lv 10 easily after finishing Archet on my first play session.
The amount of running back n forth in Staddle bored me a bit though, but by that time I was already level 14 and took on the epic quest chain to fast-jump to 15. I took it slow at that point and start working on my gear once 3 brigands whooped my ass in South Bree-land. Two chunks of barrow-iron later, and I'm back in business with an iron greatsword. 

Tomorrow I'll start my 3rd play session. We'll see how it goes.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:00 AM

hope this helps anyone past 25:  http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=18665.0
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:23:01 PM

Just finished my 3rd session. Around 3 hours.

Hit Lv 17. A level 65 plays hide and seek over region chat and promised a purple axe, Wind Raker. Found him in 10 seconds, pity trial accounts can't trade, told him to mail it and I'll open it up once I'm subbed.

Finished all Staddle quest, but man, the backtracking frequency is a soul-killer. I think I'm making good progress. Master Apprentice Metalsmith and now moving on to Barrow Irons and Silvers. Just emptied my bag of vendor trash and got 100 silvers. Wow.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 08:37:29 AM

Simply making this F2P is not going to get rid of the crushing boredom that is involved. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:44:00 AM

Simply making this F2P is not going to get rid of the crushing boredom that is involved. 

I played for about an hour last night.  The game is beautiful.  There are plenty of things to do.  The atmosphere is engaging.  I love the housing and the appearance tab. 

All of this couldn't make up for the fact that the game ran me all over hell for no apparent reason.  I didn't feel like the hero of the story but rather a UPS truck driver. 

I'll go back when my rested xp bar fills up.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:50:14 AM

Somewhat agree with this. One jarring quest is located near a Bree farmland where you play matchmaking between 2 hobbit farm owners. I literally had to run back n forth between the two - FIVE TIMES - often just to right click and deliver a message. Completely shattered my enthusiasm and had to take a break before resuming.

I hit level 18 a while ago and planning to power through to 20 by doing Old Forest quests, any idea where to buy the L20 mount so I can just ride it once I hit the right level?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:58 AM

It reaches a point (level 35-40 maybe) where that only makes the game somewhat tolerable.

The quests and the deeds and the grind gets a bit much for me.  I liked the first fifteen to twenty levels, but good god the grind for deeds is insane.  My favorite so far is having to kill 240 flame salamanders, and that only got me one level or thereabouts.  Geez. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:46:25 AM

I was wondering if I could level just by doing deeds.  I can handle killing a 1,000,000 mobs.  It's the mindless running around that drives me insane.

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:50:08 AM

I notice killing stuff 1-2 levels above me nets pretty good xp rewards, so maybe, yeah, can farm animal hides while at it. I was making 5-10% EXP after 15 minutes running across level 20 bears / boars during questing at level 17.

Can someone tell me anything abt the grp dungeons post 20? I kept hearing people LFG in Barrow Downs but have no idea what it means.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:36:34 AM

Turbine is slowly addressing the running around and back and forth quests.  The Elven starting area, Bree/Barrow Downs, Lone Lands, and Angmar have all been redone since launch and are much better quest areas now.  Also coming with FTP is a complete overhaul of all the n00b areas.  I'm sure Turbine will continue to redo some of the other older areas (North Downs plz) to flow much better.  The other thing they are doing is lowering the introduction to Skirmishes to level 20 (currently level 30 on live).  Skirmishes are great to do when you get tired of questing.  They're great XP and there's a daily quest tied to each one that gives even more XP.

most often known as Drevik
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 03:10:48 PM

It reaches a point (level 35-40 maybe) where that only makes the game somewhat tolerable.

I couldn't get past 36. Eventually all the running around the geographical cockblocks got to me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 03:14:45 PM

Somewhat agree with this. One jarring quest is located near a Bree farmland where you play matchmaking between 2 hobbit farm owners. I literally had to run back n forth between the two - FIVE TIMES - often just to right click and deliver a message. Completely shattered my enthusiasm and had to take a break before resuming.

Yeah, that one is a complete pain in the ass, but that's really the only one like that in Bree.

As for instances, at around 20 you'll want to do Great Barrows (GB), it's down at the bottom of the Barrow Downs.  Between quests from there and drops, you'll get weapons you won't likely replace until 30-something.

Also, next time you're in Bree head to the Prancing Pony Inn and pick up a few Traveling Rations (~10) from the barkeep.  You'll need those to summon and to be summoned so having a few in your bag will let you get summoned down to the instance instead of being mauled by undead while your group's waiting awesome, for real.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 03:26:41 PM

Eh, that quest is a cute little story that I think would lose something if it DIDN'T make you go 'argh what is wrong with you two'.

The easy tip for avoiding that sort of thing though is just 'don't take quests from hobbits'.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 12:33:46 AM

Done with another session. Level 21. Damn weaponcrafting expertise is cockblocked by a raid mob quest drop? What the hell?

I'm going to try doing GB tomorrow. Going to push to lvl 22 and then sub to put on that epic great axe in the mail box.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 05:23:57 AM

Gotta say though, the travelling time starts to get ridiculous, with all the Old Forest mob aggroing on sight. Tried mount riding out of Barrow Downs and almost got killed when I got dismounted by 3 rats and 2 wight archers. Wondering if I'm doing things wrong by going by Ardo's camp, passing through Bombadil's house before hitting Barrows area to farm Wights for Human Race deed.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 06:04:10 AM

Done with another session. Level 21. Damn weaponcrafting expertise is cockblocked by a raid mob quest drop? What the hell?

I'm going to try doing GB tomorrow. Going to push to lvl 22 and then sub to put on that epic great axe in the mail box.

It won't be a raid mob. It's been awhile for me and weaponsmithing, but I think there might be one or two elites (group mob) but most of those drop tasks come from standard mobs of whatever type in some zone or another. If you can group with someone higher, they can probably kick it to death for you and you can loot it if grouped. I'd do it for you (and help you out with some other stuff), but I'm not on Brandywine with the majority of f13.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 06:07:21 AM

I couldn't get past 36. Eventually all the running around the geographical cockblocks got to me.

I think the main thing that has made LotRO enjoyable/bearable for me has been playing it pretty much entirely duoing with my wife or in the group of 4 with our friends. My "solo" character got up to level 7 before the tediousness made me quit the character. WoW was fun to play the levelling game in, even solo. LotRO isn't like that.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 06:21:05 AM

Which servers you play at? Maybe I'll make another class to test things out.
Which one's better solo? Runekeeper or Loremaster?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 07:04:22 AM

I'm on Elendilmir. I've got no experience with Runekeeper, but a friend of mine has a Loremaster and seems able to solo very ably, especially with his charm, pets, mez and so on. RK is apparently able to be very good at healing and DPS, just not both at once.

PM me for my char name if you do start on Elendilmir. It's the unofficial Aussie server, so lots on during non-peak times as well as the usual peak. No f13, though. I can set you up with a decent casual Kin.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 08:51:58 AM

I'm on Brandywine playing Nebu - Level 8 Burglar. 

I should be on today if you want to chat.

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 09:01:57 AM

OK. Reason is because I play GMT +8 hours, Singapore here, but I work on nightshifts. I don't think Aussie time would be great for groupings and stuff.
I met a good crowd during my regular 2-3 hour sessions in Brandywine, I'll see what happens when I go Elendilmir on Monday.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 01:10:42 PM

If you're on this quest, then I guess that you're talking about the Ruined Elven Blade.
If so, that drops from ordinary Half-Orcs in the Lone Lands. They're right around level 21.
Just go east from the Forsaken Inn, along the road, until you're south of Weathertop.
There are half-orcs hanging around south and southeast of weathertop, both north and south of the road. You can usually spot them from the road. When I did this quest with my Weaponsmith, the first Half-orc I fought dropped the quest item.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 01:46:57 PM

I think at worst the crafting quest mobs are signatures, which should be soloable by most things.

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 03:25:52 PM

If you're on this quest, then I guess that you're talking about the Ruined Elven Blade.
If so, that drops from ordinary Half-Orcs in the Lone Lands. They're right around level 21.
Just go east from the Forsaken Inn, along the road, until you're south of Weathertop.
There are half-orcs hanging around south and southeast of weathertop, both north and south of the road. You can usually spot them from the road. When I did this quest with my Weaponsmith, the first Half-orc I fought dropped the quest item.

Awesome. Lonely Lands here I come! Just have to finish off some Barrow quests etc.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 05:21:43 PM

I have been reading the comments here about the back and forth, they have reduced this by a great deal in the lower levels. But, having just played 2 early game toons in Wow recently, I have to say wow is worse than LOTRO with the back and forth quest stuff, like, REALLY bad, Tarren mill is a nightmare for it I think I had to visit that farm and kill the things I already killed about 5-6 times, while also watching out for level 80's  awesome, for real. I don't believe we will see this gone from any MMORPG soon, but this contrast made me really appreciate the work they have put into the lower levels here. It also burned me out on MMORPGS for a bit too i think.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:28:11 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 08:46:19 PM

I played Alliance and didn't really feel that way. Lowbie Stormwind area all the way to Stranglethorn was pretty tight and enjoyable.
I'm currently parked at Lonely Inn at Lvl 24 and just realized I need to max out apprentice smithy before I could master journeyman.  swamp poop  sigh.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 09:40:33 PM

OK. Reason is because I play GMT +8 hours, Singapore here, but I work on nightshifts. I don't think Aussie time would be great for groupings and stuff.
I met a good crowd during my regular 2-3 hour sessions in Brandywine, I'll see what happens when I go Elendilmir on Monday.

The whole server isn't running on Aussie time. it's like Proudmoore or Blackrock on WoW - the usual US population during peak times, so it's the same as any other server, but instead of shrinking to near-nothing when the American playerbase goes to bed, there's still people on from the +8 +12 timezones , so it's more of a 24 hour server. If you're in Singapore, it's probably an overall better choice, unless you want to play with f13 people - in which case definately go Brandywine.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 10:00:59 PM

Which servers you play at? Maybe I'll make another class to test things out.
Which one's better solo? Runekeeper or Loremaster?
I play on Silverlode, but it's kind of dead -- you should definitely play on Brandywine or Elendilmir.

Loremasters are extremely capable soloists, but they kill stuff slower than RKs; they also can't switch to healing if you enjoy that sort of thing. However, the various stuns/mezes/debuffs allow you to kite basically everything to death, including most elites for outdoor quests. Wardens are also excellent soloers, but they do that by tanking stuff down instead of kiting. Captains aren't half bad, but since you're lacking a reliable self-heal (unless you grind out the muster courage deed and go with a banner instead of a herald, which is a Bad Idea at lower levels), you have to be careful not to overextend yourself and manage aggro well with your herald.

I have been reading the comments here about the back and forth, they have reduced this by a great deal in the lower levels. But, having just played 2 early game toons in Wow recently, I have to say wow is worse than LOTRO with the back and forth quest stuff, like, REALLY bad, Tarren mill is a nightmare for it I think I had to visit that farm and kill the things I already killed about 5-6 times, while also watching out for level 80's  awesome, for real. I don't believe we will see this gone from any MMORPG soon, but this contrast made me really appreciate the work they have put into the lower levels here. It also burned me out on MMORPGS for a bit too i think.
I've leveled multiple characters through the low and mid levels of both lotro and wow (all racial starting areas in both games, post-update). I'll just... respectfully disagree on the 'wow makes you run around more than lotro' thing. It's much better than it was before the update, but then you hit north downs and the horse quest. :p

edit: just one example off the top of my head of "you gotta return to this quest zone over and over": the first quest line in Lothlorien where you have to clear out four orc camps. After you clear them out, you get new quests to go back and destroy some stuff in them. Then you get new quests to go back and collect stuff and kill some other mobs in the camp. Then you get new quests to go back and kill the bosses. THEN you get a repeatable from the other camp (~5-6 mins of riding downtime) to go back to the orc camps and kill more orcs / burn filth in the middle of the camps. Our group quit shortly after hitting that questline, though it lead to some amusing commentary on vent ("ok, next time we're asked to go to the orc camp, we're taking a pickup truck with us and just loading everything onto it that isn't nailed down!" Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:16:34 PM by Zetor »

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 10:39:29 PM

I've leveled multiple characters through the low and mid levels of both lotro and wow (all racial starting areas in both games, post-update). I'll just... respectfully disagree on the 'wow makes you run around more than lotro' thing. It's much better than it was before the update, but then you hit north downs and the horse quest. :p

Nod. Having played several characters to the higher end in WoW, and a couple in LotRO, I'll also say that LotRO is far, far, FAR worse than WoW in terms of running back and forth and back and fucking forth. LotRO also makes you run around like a tool more, and more often, and more slowly.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 10:41:19 PM

And then back to Elrond or Calenglad or those damn people in their cave in Angmar with the horse route you can't use unless you grind their faction.  Shaking fist

EDIT: And don't get me started on the Forochel epic book that I am doing now, it is severely testing my quest/lore love.  swamp poop
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:46:14 PM by Ingmar »

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 02:57:59 AM

The whole server isn't running on Aussie time. it's like Proudmoore or Blackrock on WoW - the usual US population during peak times, so it's the same as any other server, but instead of shrinking to near-nothing when the American playerbase goes to bed, there's still people on from the +8 +12 timezones , so it's more of a 24 hour server. If you're in Singapore, it's probably an overall better choice, unless you want to play with f13 people - in which case definately go Brandywine.

OK. Will keep that in mind, I think I'll start a new class sometime soon, the crafting grind is starting to bore me.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 03:51:13 AM

Speaking as someone who is doing the crafting grind with several characters, I can say at the rate you seem to be levelling - skip it entirely and just get some higher level friends to make you some gear now and then.

Come back to it later if you so choose... Take "Explorer" now so you can loot wood and ore deposits, then worry about actual crafting later on...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: 10 Day Trial - How far can I go?  
Jump to: