Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 192736 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: January 10, 2011, 07:14:41 PM

Woo no Blackout on ESPN3 coverage so I can watch the game.

Ducks need to do what I have seen them do in the second half of every game I have seen them play this year.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:19 PM

I'm waiting on that vaunted Oregon speed to show up.  So far, seems like ZOMGOREGONISSOFAST = average SEC team.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #947 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:10 PM

I'm waiting on that vaunted Oregon speed to show up.  So far, seems like ZOMGOREGONISSOFAST = average SEC team.

James better be fast.  That dude is fucking tiny. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:53 PM

Yeah.  So far, it looks to me that Auburn is just a tad bit bigger (in some place, a whole LOT bigger) and just as fast or faster.

Oregon's D got ROBBED by the refs on that interception in the 2nd that followed by an Auburn TD on the next play.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #949 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:16 PM

The difference is that Auburn has a D line while Oregon doesn't.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: January 10, 2011, 08:17:15 PM

God that field is garbage.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #951 on: January 10, 2011, 08:42:57 PM

Razzle dazzle sucks ass when you have a bigger opponent who can keep up with you. Oregon just looks horrible all game... like they are out playing backyard ball with no real set plays. Granted, I don't watch much PAC 10 ball, but that shit doesn't fly in the NFL or its minor league divison, the SEC.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:45 PM

OH YEAH BABY TIE GAME

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #953 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:43 PM

That field looks sloppy as hell.

God Save the Horn Players
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: January 10, 2011, 08:58:39 PM

Nick Fairley is going to look good in a Raiders jersey.  Ohhhhh, I see.

crap... clicked before I had a chance to add... good on the ducks. Glad they are making it a game to watch... now. Too bad I got bored watching early in the third.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:00:32 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #955 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:56 PM

We're going to need 2 rules changes next year.

1. Get rid of these incredibly fucking retarded anti-celebration rules. For fucks sake it has gone too far. Taking a game away from a team because a player saluted the crowd? Fuck you NCAA fuck you.

2. That incredibly hokey shit we just saw in the BCS championship has been happening too much lately. They need a rule that prevents such retarded looking plays and considering they aren't going to let defenders just pile on and slam people on the ground to be safe we need a rule about a defender that is down that has a player tackled lying on top of him. I'm sick of it in both the nfl and ncaa

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #956 on: January 10, 2011, 09:11:23 PM

Auburn by a FG.

Oh ho ho!

Looks like I don't have to shut up this year!  awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS

why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:25 PM

Le sigh.

Auburn's thugs D-Line won that game. Musberger can suck on the Newton Heisman winner cock all he wants, but Newton was not any more impressive in the 3 quarters I watched than Thomas. It was all about Auburn's D-Line.

Also, I will say again, that field was sloppy as shit. Didn't they have issues there during the NFL playoffs last year too? They would have had better footing on the crappy ass former corn-field I played on in high school than on that multi-million dollar field.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:44 PM

So...

Ohio state over Arkansas

Alabama over Michigan State

Auburn over Oregon

Looks like I got lucky this year. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: January 11, 2011, 07:32:30 AM

We're going to need 2 rules changes next year.

1. Get rid of these incredibly fucking retarded anti-celebration rules. For fucks sake it has gone too far. Taking a game away from a team because a player saluted the crowd? Fuck you NCAA fuck you.

2. That incredibly hokey shit we just saw in the BCS championship has been happening too much lately. They need a rule that prevents such retarded looking plays and considering they aren't going to let defenders just pile on and slam people on the ground to be safe we need a rule about a defender that is down that has a player tackled lying on top of him. I'm sick of it in both the nfl and ncaa

Agreed on both counts, and especially the latter.  Everyone on the field stopped playing INCLUDING the running back.  Yea, there was no whistle, play to the whistle blah blah.  The fact of the matter is what it was a pretty epic game that ended in a way that felt cheesy and lame.  I didn't have any routing interest, incidentally, I just like to watch high quality games and I hate when something goofy like that determines the outcome.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #960 on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:27 AM

I hate when something goofy like that determines the outcome.

And it happened way too often this year. 

I always find it interesting that the NCAA expects kids who are playing in a sport that, by its very nature, is based in adrenaline and emotion to display no emotion whatsoever when they make a stellar play.  It just doesn't make any sense.

The quality of refereeing seems to have really gone down the toilet lately.  I blame the instant replay phenomenon.  Maybe the refs have decided to let the replay bail them out.  The only area that I have seen instant replay truly make a difference is with end-of-clock time management.  It is truly baffling how many games have to have time put back on the clock because the ref missed the end of regulation by several seconds. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #961 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:02 AM

Play to the whistle isn't a blah-blah joke. It's how you play. Besides, Auburn had the ball with 2 minutes left and they were driving. I have no problem with the officials doing their job, as the replay clearly showed, and not blowing the play dead. I don't see what your problem was here.

As for the unsportsmanlike, that penalty does need to go. There are two changes I would make this year.

1 - Institute the 10 second runoff rule under 2 minutes for offensive penalties that stop the clock. It works in the NFL, it would work here. It's cheesy not to have it when 2 big games were decided on that rule this year.

2 - Ditch the unsportsmanlike. It was a reactionary rule put in to combat Miami's style in the 80s and to keep black kids from being black. It's racist, shameful, and has screwed too many games.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: January 11, 2011, 07:47:23 AM

Play to the whistle isn't a blah-blah joke. It's how you play. Besides, Auburn had the ball with 2 minutes left and they were driving. I have no problem with the officials doing their job, as the replay clearly showed, and not blowing the play dead. I don't see what your problem was here.

My problem is that is made an entertaining game to watch feel dumb at the end.  Thats really the end of it for me, watching sports is pure entertainment to me, and stuff like that makes it less entertaining.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: January 11, 2011, 08:11:41 AM

The call was correct by the rules, but had another Oregon defender come in and stuck him to make sure he was down, 999 times out of 1000 he would have been hit with a late-hit penalty.

The guy was fully tackled, all motion stopped for almost a full second on the clock, he got up, was about to toss the ball to the ref when he saw his coaches telling him to keep running. It wasn't your usual "play to the whistle, run until they yell at you" thing, the RB was certain he was tackled. That 1/2" of space below his knee was something that happens once in a decade on that kind of tackle.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #964 on: January 11, 2011, 08:18:23 AM

I agree with Malakili, it kind of took the air out of the game.  The end felt cheesey.  I'd rather have seen a real play make the difference in the game, not some fluke abberation.

The team that played better overall, won.  I'm OK with that.  Oregon left a lot of points out there, but in every situation where they did, the Auburn D had to make a play and did.

-Rasix
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:28 AM

I agree with Malakili, it kind of took the air out of the game.  The end felt cheesey.  I'd rather have seen a real play make the difference in the game, not some fluke abberation.

The team that played better overall, won.  I'm OK with that.  Oregon left a lot of points out there, but in every situation where they did, the Auburn D had to make a play and did.

This is how I feel as well.  I will also agree that it was not the Cam Newton show that won that game for Auburn.  Their D-line was the real story, all game they did what they had to do to stop Oregon's running game. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:36 PM

Which, really, wasn't a hard thing for Auburn to do.  Oregon lacked the speed (vs the speed of Auburn's defense) to run outside, and they lacked the power to run up the gut.  They may be fast for the PAC-10, but looked rather average compared to the SEC (and smaller, to boot).  It's not that Auburn's defense was spectacular - hell, they're average for the SEC. 

I will give Oregon a ton of credit for their defense though.  They played well.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:45 PM

I have many friends that are PAC 10 fans.  ALL of them (to the man) claim that the SEC is overrated compared to the PAC 10.  Looking at the size difference last night, I'd much rather play an Oregon-sized squad all season long than have to face Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, etc. week after week.  Big and fast is a scary combination. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: January 11, 2011, 02:08:13 PM

The PAC 10 record against the SEC the last few years is pretty good.  11-9 over the last 12 years (through 2009).  But that record is skewed due to USC's record against the SEC which is pretty damn good.  Hell, they were good against EVERYBODY for damn near a decade.  

You (speaking generally, not you in particular, Nebu) can't take away USC and what they did, but you do have to look at it big picture.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #969 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:07 PM

I have many friends that are PAC 10 fans.  ALL of them (to the man) claim that the SEC is overrated compared to the PAC 10.  Looking at the size difference last night, I'd much rather play an Oregon-sized squad all season long than have to face Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, etc. week after week.  Big and fast is a scary combination. 

People always claim that when they aren't from here. I still don't see how anybody could claim the SEC is overrated in this day and age. Hell, this was a BAD BAD year for the SEC and it still went 5-5 with a national championship. That's with half the conference in the East absolutely sucking.

I mean really, who was better this year? The PAC-10 had Stanford and Oregon, but the SEC had Auburn and Alabama. The Big 10 lost every big game against the SEC except Ohio State, which we expected. The ACC with Va Tech and FSU? FSU beat a bad SC team and Va Tech got stomped into the ground by Stanford.

So yeah, I could see how people could think the SEC wasn't that great this year, but who was? Ah well, maybe if the SEC wins 7 in a row, they will stop saying it's overrated.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #970 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:02 PM

It was rather shocking to see how small they were compared to Auburn.  Again, James is really tiny. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:18 PM

People always claim that when they aren't from here. I still don't see how anybody could claim the SEC is overrated in this day and age. Hell, this was a BAD BAD year for the SEC and it still went 5-5 with a national championship. That's with half the conference in the East absolutely sucking.

I mean really, who was better this year? The PAC-10 had Stanford and Oregon, but the SEC had Auburn and Alabama. The Big 10 lost every big game against the SEC except Ohio State, which we expected. The ACC with Va Tech and FSU? FSU beat a bad SC team and Va Tech got stomped into the ground by Stanford.

So yeah, I could see how people could think the SEC wasn't that great this year, but who was? Ah well, maybe if the SEC wins 7 in a row, they will stop saying it's overrated.

*ahem* LSU. And if that is not a segue to the Hatter staying put in the deep south, I dunno what is.  awesome, for real And it seems they went and found themselves a transfer QB. Thank god... at least as long as he stays outta trouble.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #972 on: January 11, 2011, 05:48:49 PM

For me it's less the SEC is overrated and more the Pac-10 gets shit on too hard.

I completely agree they are going way overboard on the whole no-celebration shit. No, you don't want them staging giant celebrations, but come the fuck on.

God Save the Horn Players
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #973 on: January 11, 2011, 06:39:41 PM

So is anyone else depressed the season is over?   Heartbreak
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: January 11, 2011, 10:09:07 PM

Which, really, wasn't a hard thing for Auburn to do.  Oregon lacked the speed (vs the speed of Auburn's defense) to run outside, and they lacked the power to run up the gut.  They may be fast for the PAC-10, but looked rather average compared to the SEC (and smaller, to boot). 

That slippery-sloppy assed field had a big effect on slowing down Oregon. They are used to playing on field-turf or on grass fields that don't disintegrate any time you try to plant. The field conditions there (especially for it being a controlled environment) were really deplorable.

Also, Thomas's exchanges to the running backs were sloppy all night, they kept losing a half a step because he would hold onto the ball during the handoff longer than he needed to.

I also think the constant 15-20 second adjustments where he would go and talk to the lineman hurt their ability to get into their usual flow which is to run plays quickly. In the other Oregon games I watched this season they were almost never snapping the ball with less than 15 seconds left on the play clock. During the title game, it was rare that they got a single play ran with more than ten seconds left on the play clock.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #975 on: January 12, 2011, 12:29:38 AM

Yeah the adjustments at the line were REALLY out of character.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: January 12, 2011, 05:01:59 AM

Forgive me since I don't watch PAC 10 ball that often and never watch ORE play a full game, but if I remember correctly, the announcers for the title game said something to the effect that Chip Kelly was pulling pages out of his old team's books. I wonder if Kelly strayed away from ORE typical style to try to change up anything AUB would prepare for watching 4 weeks of ORE tape. That would explain the sync issues.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #977 on: January 12, 2011, 06:13:31 AM

You really have to make some sort of adjustment for a beast like Fairley.  It's really not surprising that Kelly would have had a different plan to deal with him, but it is surprising that he wouldn't have informed the team ahead of time. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:46 AM

That game put some money in Fairley's pocket.  With Luck staying at Stanford another year, Fairley is almost certain to go 1 or 2 in the NFL draft.  The guy is a beast. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #979 on: January 12, 2011, 06:33:23 AM

I know you saw that footage of him raking his helmet over the Georgia QBs face.  I think he's got some stability issues that if I were a GM I would stay away from. 
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: