Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 194412 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #875 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:33 PM

Richt probably needs to get himself some help at the coordinator positions, similar to Mack Brown.

Also, Weiss was a very good recruiter on the offensive side of the ball.  I expect him, and the Florida name, to continue that trend easily.  Also consider that he has a very capable pro-style quarterback already at Florida in John Brantley.  

Edit for game-  VT with a safety and a blocked PAT already.  Nice.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:42:11 PM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #876 on: January 04, 2011, 06:44:43 AM

Yeah Stanford crushed them, which I expected.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #877 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:27 PM

I hate Stanford.  I hate Stanford a lot. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #878 on: January 04, 2011, 02:14:36 PM

That seems like wasted effort since they haven't been good at football since the 40s.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #879 on: January 04, 2011, 02:29:01 PM

That seems like wasted effort since they haven't been good at football since the 40s.

I guess if you don't count the 70s, 4 bowl wins for Stanford that decade and they never posted a losing record. They won 10 games and finished the season in the top 10 in '92 also.

Also, hating Stanford is never wasted effort.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #880 on: January 04, 2011, 02:32:36 PM

I guess if you don't count the 70s, 4 bowl wins for Stanford that decade and they never posted a losing record. They won 10 games and finished the season in the top 10 in '92 also.

Also, hating Stanford is never wasted effort.

I don't really count them because they barely finished in the top 10 the years they won the Rose bowl in the early 70s. Your West Coast rivalries are silly.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: January 04, 2011, 02:37:52 PM

You're still bitter about the 1978 Bluebonnet Bowl.  Admit it!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: January 04, 2011, 05:57:12 PM

That Razorback was denied the prettiest TD all year.  Got it on the next play though.

Go Hogs!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #883 on: January 04, 2011, 06:55:19 PM

Mallett should be caning his receivers for those drops... that's at least 7 points.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:08 PM

GO BUCKS! 

God must hate Arkansas receivers. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #885 on: January 05, 2011, 06:49:23 AM

God must hate Arkansas receivers

Better.  Bobby Petrino is Satan. 

Also, Stanford is my least favorite team in all of sports.  I hope they never win another game.  Is it an irrational hate?  Maybe, but isn't most sports hate?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #886 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:43 AM

They do have the best band though.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: January 05, 2011, 09:03:00 AM

It's so strange to say this, but Arkansas lost the game because of their offense.  Receivers dropped key passes.  Mallett paniced under pressure.  The Razorback defense and the lack of intensity on the part of the Ohio State offensive play calling nearly cost the Buckeyes the game. 

The second half was painful to watch from both team's perspectives. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #888 on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:51 AM

Arkansas has pretty good skill position players and Petrino is a good coach, but I think their O-Line was a bit suspect from the beginning, and probably banged up from SEC play.  Ohio State should probably have been in the title game, with their talent. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #889 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:56 AM

Ohio State should probably have been in the title game, with their talent. 

Yeeeeeeeeah. I'm not on board with that at all. I'm tired of putting the Big Ten champ (see: usually Ohio State) in that game. That conference had such a big opportunity to show the world how it's improved, and that choosing their champion wouldn't lead to another disappointing national championship game. They didn't live up to that.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:54 AM

I don't think he's saying that OSU should be in the title game now, just that they have so much talent they should have performed better for the season.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #891 on: January 05, 2011, 11:03:29 AM

Maybe under the new regime when they play a legit championship game it will go a long way to improve their image.

I would be more impressed when they stop scheduling so much crap in the Ohio State Schedule. First 4 games in 2011?

Akron, Toledo, Miami(FL), and Colorado.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: January 05, 2011, 11:11:52 AM

Maybe under the new regime when they play a legit championship game it will go a long way to improve their image.

I would be more impressed when they stop scheduling so much crap in the Ohio State Schedule. First 4 games in 2011?

Akron, Toledo, Miami(FL), and Colorado.   Ohhhhh, I see.

If some of my best players were on a 5 game suspension, I'd do my best to make the early schedule soft as well.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #893 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:30 AM

It's our first year in many that we aren't playing a decent team in the first four, give it a rest.  We always play a few local/MAC teams... and what, in the past years we had USC twice, then Washington, Texas - just from memory.  

I have to laugh about the OSU hate - for whatever reason it's cool to not like us.  Even the announcers (fucking Herbstreit) give no love.  Should we have played better this year?  Yep, and the NCAA violations are a real shitty cherry to top this season.  But at the end of it all, we only had one loss.  It wasn't a bad season overall.  

There's not much of anything that will improve our image until we spend a few years unranked, then come back up the ranks.  

At least we're not Michigan.   awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:40 AM

It isn't like Miami and Colorado have never been good, either, scheduling them isn't really in the same category as Akron or Toledo. These things are usually done a couple years in advance, you never know how good a team is actually going to be by the time you play them.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #895 on: January 05, 2011, 11:22:36 AM

I have to laugh about the OSU hate - for whatever reason it's cool to not like us.

You get crap because in the past you've won a conference that's slightly worse than the Mountain West. Somehow that warranted your team a title shot where you got buttslammed. Fans in other, better conferences hate that because they have to watch your sweatervest version of outdated football.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: January 05, 2011, 11:26:12 AM

I have to laugh about the OSU hate - for whatever reason it's cool to not like us. 

I played football in the Big 10.  I earned my dislike of OSU on the field rather than from an armchair. 

That work?

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: January 05, 2011, 11:51:41 AM

I played football in the Big 10.  I earned my dislike of OSU on the field rather than from an armchair. 

That work?

For you, okay.  Nobody else though. 

It's easy to forget about 2002.  Can't wait to hear the hate on that win.   Ohhhhh, I see.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #898 on: January 05, 2011, 12:08:36 PM

I have had to suffer OSU fans, in person, for many a year.  I deserve to be able to hate them a little, too.

Anyway..............so who is Michigan going to hire?  I'm guessing the dude from San Diego State-  Brady Hoke.  He might actually be a better hire than Harbaugh, who I think will eventually bolt to the NFL no matter what. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #899 on: January 05, 2011, 12:27:28 PM

It's easy to forget about 2002.  Can't wait to hear the hate on that win.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Nobody forgets about it. That was the start of the national hate. You struggled all year long against total crap, and STILL got in the title game. Let's recap why:

- You almost lost to an unranked Cincinnati team that fell over itself with two dropped TD passes and a pick in the last minute of the game.
- You trailed unranked Wisconsin into the 4th, and had to have another pick to keep them from taking the lead.
- Your only ranked opponent for 8 straight games in the regular season was a supremely overrated Washington State team (that got murdered by OU in the Rose Bowl)
- It took a 4th down TD pass to beat fucking unranked Purdue 10-6.
- You went to OT against unranked Illinois.
- You went to Double OT in the national championship, and you should have lost that game if the refs hadn't gift-wrapped a pass interference call that tied the game in the first OT.

I hate your team even more that you got the chance to go and Georgia didn't because it lost a close one to Florida. That Ohio State team was a joke, and won because it was a shitty year and the hammer never fell.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: January 05, 2011, 12:30:03 PM

I don't know anybody around here who hates Ohio St. /shrug

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #901 on: January 05, 2011, 12:49:02 PM

I suffer from OSU whiplash. From northern Ohio, have a cousin that is currently a senior there and thus his sports loving father (huge ND fan) go on and on about the buckeyes. I can't stand that... I don't hate OSU though the part about including "THE" in the name pisses me off.

Going to LSU and actually getting to know some of the team that was there when DiNardo was there and soon after, Saban, I was christened into the SEC and been a Tigers fan since. Even teaching some of the names at U of Miami didn't taint my SEC devotion. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:19 PM

Nobody forgets about it. That was the start of the national hate. You struggled all year long against total crap, and STILL got in the title game. Let's recap why:

- You almost lost to an unranked Cincinnati team that fell over itself with two dropped TD passes and a pick in the last minute of the game.
- You trailed unranked Wisconsin into the 4th, and had to have another pick to keep them from taking the lead.
- Your only ranked opponent for 8 straight games in the regular season was a supremely overrated Washington State team (that got murdered by OU in the Rose Bowl)
- It took a 4th down TD pass to beat fucking unranked Purdue 10-6.
- You went to OT against unranked Illinois.
- You went to Double OT in the national championship, and you should have lost that game if the refs hadn't gift-wrapped a pass interference call that tied the game in the first OT.

I hate your team even more that you got the chance to go and Georgia didn't because it lost a close one to Florida. That Ohio State team was a joke, and won because it was a shitty year and the hammer never fell.

I can feel the /hug from here!  

The sad part:  I only live in Columbus, I'm not even a big fan.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  My wife, though... if she saw what was quoted, I guarantee by 10pm she'd have finished a 12 of Coors and she'd be posting replies that would make a pirate blush.  

Gotta back the fuck off my Blue Jackets, though.  Nobody messes with the Jackets.  
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #903 on: January 05, 2011, 01:22:16 PM

Akron, Toledo, Miami(FL), and Colorado.   Ohhhhh, I see.

At the time they arranged the home and away with Miami everyone believed the program was returning to prominence. Ohio State did a home and away with USC then a home and away with Texas and now this home and away with Miami for the past 6 years. Every other nonconf is a home game against a powderpuff in state school but talking shit about their scheduling when they have made a point of playing a nonconf bcs contender every year for the last 5 years running is such a load of shit. When was the last time the SEC played anyone outside of conference that is considered a top program? I can only think of most SEC teams maybe playing a nonconf rivalry game against a decent team (Gtech, Clemson, Florida State etc).

But please enlighten me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:24:25 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #904 on: January 05, 2011, 02:09:17 PM

You know why people want Ohio State to play more non-conference programs? Because the vast majority of their conference opponents weren't ranked (and ranked low if they were). They wanted them to play ranked teams.

2010: Ohio State plays 3 ranked teams. Only 1 finishes in the top 25. They lost to the one that did (Wisconsin).
2009: Played 3 ranked teams. Lost to USC (#3). Beat Penn State (#10) and Iowa (#11).
2008: Played 5 ranked teams, a banner year. Lost to USC (#1) and Penn State (#3). Beat 3 teams from #18-24.
2007: Played 3 ranked teams, won all of them #18-25. Lost to an unranked Illinois, and got summarily trounced by LSU in the National Championship.

Compare to an SEC Champ's schedule:
Auburn 2010: Played 5 ranked teams from #6-19. Won em all.
Alabama 2009: Played 5 ranked teams from #1, 7, 9, 20, and 22. Won em all. Won the National Championship.
Florida 2008: Played 5 ranked teams from #1, 4, 6, 20, and 25. Won em all. Lost to Ole Miss. Gave Tebow speech. Won the National Championship.
LSU 2007: Played 4 ranked teams from #9-16. Won em all. Lost to Arkansas and Kentucky. Beat Ohio State in the National Championship.

In short, they suck, their competition sucks, and fuck anyone who hates on the toughness of the SEC.  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: January 05, 2011, 02:45:21 PM

You know why people want Ohio State to play more non-conference programs? Because the vast majority of their conference opponents weren't ranked (and ranked low if they were). They wanted them to play ranked teams.

But not ranked teams in the SEC, since we know they don't schedule real non conference opponents.  tongue

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #906 on: January 05, 2011, 02:45:58 PM

But not ranked teams in the SEC, since we know they don't schedule real non conference opponents.  tongue

Georgia just cut a deal to play Ohio State.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #907 on: January 05, 2011, 02:50:42 PM

Yes it must be nice that under the current system if your an SEC team you all start ranked so that when you win or lose it was to a ranked opponent so you both stay ranked and then at the end of the year Paelos can say OMG we played all these ranked teams clearly we are the best.

I did remember though there has been an SEC team with balls, namely Tennessee who has been playing home and aways versus the Pac-10 which is almost as terrible a conference as the Big10  rolleyes.  First they played Cal which was split with the home team winning. Then they lost both games to UCLA and this year obviously Oregon fucking trounced them.

If every team in every conference scheduled more series like these the rankings might be a lot more accurate at the end of the year.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: January 05, 2011, 03:05:10 PM

Yeah, would like to see some of these power teams play a road game at Nevada.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #909 on: January 05, 2011, 03:59:51 PM

Yes it must be nice that under the current system if your an SEC team you all start ranked so that when you win or lose it was to a ranked opponent so you both stay ranked and then at the end of the year Paelos can say OMG we played all these ranked teams clearly we are the best.

I did remember though there has been an SEC team with balls, namely Tennessee who has been playing home and aways versus the Pac-10 which is almost as terrible a conference as the Big10  rolleyes.  First they played Cal which was split with the home team winning. Then they lost both games to UCLA and this year obviously Oregon fucking trounced them.

If every team in every conference scheduled more series like these the rankings might be a lot more accurate at the end of the year.

Tell you what, if we lose 2/3 of the last bowls and lose the national championship. I'll shut up.

If we don't and we win the title for the fifth time in a row, you're just going to have to suck it.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: