Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:00:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 197860 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #630 on: November 07, 2010, 02:57:38 PM

The whole "national championship" thing is a pile of bullshit and they should just stop trying. THERE I SAID IT.

God Save the Horn Players
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: November 07, 2010, 03:19:21 PM

The whole "national championship" thing is a pile of bullshit and they should just stop trying. THERE I SAID IT.

Go away woman, this is about penis waving!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #632 on: November 07, 2010, 04:12:03 PM

That's exactly why the bowl system is so great.  It allows for excessive penis waving. 
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #633 on: November 07, 2010, 05:00:12 PM

Don't you see? There would be MORE penis waving without it! Without this silly attempt at answering the "who is the bestest" question, you'd have people cockslapping each other over who was REALLY the best team even more!

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #634 on: November 09, 2010, 09:10:11 AM

The Cam Newton thing is getting ridiculous. Florida is now stooping to leaking Federally protected academic records in order to smear this kid? WTF?

Urban Meyer says neither he or the Florida staff leaked the records. Right. The records just happened to end up at Fox News on the heels of Cam being up for the Heisman and leaving Florida. The academic violation was having someone else write his paper for him. Do you really think that top players actually write any of their own stuff?

I hate Auburn, and if they paid off someone $200k to recruit this kid, I hope they get skullfucked by the NCAA. However, this academic bullshit Florida is intentionally going out of their way to toss out is a candy-ass, sour-grapes move.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #635 on: November 09, 2010, 09:33:44 AM

Florida, and more specifically Rick Pitino, Jr., was at the heart of the Eric Bledsoe smear job that went on last year too.  I would love to see the Gaytors fall hard.  

And this is interesting.  Players overwhelmingly prefer the current BCS system over a proposed 16 team playoff.  
BCS Story Link
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:51:35 AM by ghost »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #636 on: November 09, 2010, 10:20:01 AM

The Cam Newton thing is getting ridiculous. Florida is now stooping to leaking Federally protected academic records in order to smear this kid? WTF?

Urban Meyer says neither he or the Florida staff leaked the records. Right. The records just happened to end up at Fox News on the heels of Cam being up for the Heisman and leaving Florida. The academic violation was having someone else write his paper for him. Do you really think that top players actually write any of their own stuff?

I hate Auburn, and if they paid off someone $200k to recruit this kid, I hope they get skullfucked by the NCAA. However, this academic bullshit Florida is intentionally going out of their way to toss out is a candy-ass, sour-grapes move.

Well if it gets him suspended for the SEC championship and IF FL beats SC, then it might be a hell of a chess move to win that and get into a huge bowl game with 3 losses  swamp poop

But yeah...where was all this shit during with first 10 weeks?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #637 on: November 09, 2010, 11:05:17 AM

And this is interesting.  Players overwhelmingly prefer the current BCS system over a proposed 16 team playoff. 
http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=5461778

A - Consider the source
B - Of course they do, they get ridiculous swag and benefits at the bowls for one game
C - Nobody cares what they want

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #638 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:35 AM

A - Consider the source

A new poll of 135 college football players released this week by ESPN The Magazine

I would think ESPN would be for a playoff. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:22 PM

ESPN loves them some BCS. If only because the SEC loves them some BCS and the SEC has a huge TV deal with ESPN.

Also, 135 college players is what, two and a half teams worth?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #640 on: November 09, 2010, 12:27:28 PM

ESPN loves them some BCS. If only because the SEC loves them some BCS and the SEC has a huge TV deal with ESPN.

Big programs carry up to 105, per DI limits. They can't all travel though.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #641 on: November 09, 2010, 12:56:50 PM

The sample size doesn't matter as long as it is big enough to accurately represent the whole population.  If taken randomly enough this could be just fine, particularly considering the difference found in the sample.  
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #642 on: November 09, 2010, 01:04:51 PM

I honestly don't care if they surveyed 10,000 football players. Ask college students if they prefer doing more work. I'm not saying football players are lazy, but even NFL players balk at adding more games to the season. Couple that with all the gifts and parties, and of course they love the current system. It's easy, no pressure, and the one time they can take gifts.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:07:53 PM by Paelos »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #643 on: November 09, 2010, 01:06:04 PM

Assuming 105 players on 120 D1 programs the MOE would be just over  plus or minus 8 percent. Sampling methodology would also be critical.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:55 PM

And this is interesting.  Players overwhelmingly prefer the current BCS system over a proposed 16 team playoff.  
BCS Story Link

Having been a player, no one cares what players want.  It has never been about the players.  None of it. 

If a playoff made schools more money, they'd do it.  Until a playoff does that, schools will prefer a bowl system where more of them get a piece of the pie.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #645 on: November 09, 2010, 01:11:16 PM

And considering they added 3 bowls this year, it's up to 70 pieces now.

Facepalm

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #646 on: November 09, 2010, 01:14:05 PM

Maybe we should just have enough bowls for every Division I team.  They could make the worst bowl the "Toilet Bowl" and give them special jerseys to wear the following year for a reward. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: November 09, 2010, 01:15:53 PM

Maybe we should just have enough bowls for every Division I team.  They could make the worst bowl the "Toilet Bowl" and give them special jerseys to wear the following year for a reward. 

I want the English League football system.  The worst Division I teams get relegated to Division II.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #648 on: November 09, 2010, 01:23:37 PM

That's not a bad idea, really.  I guess the lowest division would get relegated to high school ball?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #649 on: November 09, 2010, 01:26:42 PM

Shit, we're not far off. 70/120 means almost 60% of the teams are going to bowl games. We're getting close to not having enough 6-6 or better teams to cover the games.

This article details how that could happen during this season.

Long and short, the NCAA doesn't care and will adjust the rules to fit their needs. Unless those rules involve agents. That's wrong.  rolleyes

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #650 on: November 12, 2010, 07:08:34 AM

Okay.  There are a ton of good games this weekend.  Here are some to watch:

Ohio State vs. Penn State-  Penn State plays very, very well with the qb they are starting.  I'm going to predict an upset
Georgia vs. Auburn-  Auburn by 21
Stanford vs. ASU-  ASU, because I hate Stanford with the heat of a million blazing suns
Okie State vs. Texas-  Texas gets another huge hole pounded in their ass.  Pretty soon they are going to make Sasha Gray look like the poster child of rectal continence
Miss St. vs. Alabama-  I think Bama is going to win this one, but not by much.
Iowa vs. Northwestern-  does anyone care who wins this one?  I think Iowa loses because NW has been tough at home
Utah vs. ND-  can I pick Utah by 100?  Okay, how about 48 to 13?
Kansas St. vs. Missouri-  this is a snoozer. 
USC at Arizona-  Zona by a touchdown
South Carolina vs. Fla-  Florida
Nevada vs. Fresno State-  this is a tough one.  I think Nevada loses
Aggies vs. Baylor-  Baylor
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #651 on: November 12, 2010, 07:33:09 AM

Penn State stays close for the first half and loses by 10.
Georgia loses to Auburn by a TD
Stanford crushes ASU by 20
Okie State beats up on Texas by 17
MS State upsets Alabama in Bama, fans curse God.
Northwestern wins at home against Iowa
Utah cruises past ND by at least 20
Missouri covers the 12.5 against K State
Arizona wins by at least 2 scores against USC
Florida beats the shit out of an overranked South Carolina team 30-7
Nevada wins by a late FG against Fresno State
Texas A&M eeks one out against Baylor

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #652 on: November 13, 2010, 09:44:50 AM

I just realized that no Big East team is bowl eligible yet.  I think that, instead of discussing whether or not the polls are biased toward the SEC, we should be discussing how absolutely shitty the Big East and ACC are in football.  Those conferences don't deserve an automatic bid.  Fuck, Boise could win either of those leagues this year. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #653 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:02 AM

Greetings from Notre Dame Stadium.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: November 13, 2010, 11:23:19 AM

Cold and rainy in South Bend.  Hope the game is good.  I'm hoping Notre Dame gets destroyed!

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #655 on: November 13, 2010, 12:43:46 PM

You guys need to get your shit together.  I fucking hate ND. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: November 13, 2010, 01:21:53 PM

You guys need to get your shit together.  I fucking hate ND.  

So do you.  He's a Utah fan.  You'd know that from reading his posts.

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #657 on: November 13, 2010, 01:37:40 PM

You guys need to get your shit together.  I fucking hate ND.  

So do you.  He's a Utah fan.  You'd know that from reading his posts.

Maybe you need to re-read my post.  I was clearly aware of that.  I was implying that I wanted Utah to do better, my man.  

Here you go, Nebu:

This puts a bit of a damper on my trip to South Bend next week.

Why?  You guys should rebound and beat the shit out of the mighty Cathols. 

I have been aware of Ab's affiliation with Utah for quite some time.  Of course you might know that from reading my posts ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:03:01 PM by ghost »
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: November 13, 2010, 01:38:03 PM

Beaten to it.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #659 on: November 13, 2010, 01:48:31 PM

This is going to be a great day for football.  TCU is losing, tOSU is losing, and Auburn is getting everything they want from Georgia.  Wow.   
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: November 13, 2010, 01:50:19 PM

Just checked ESPN for some scores...Ab being in South Bend must be bad luck or something.

Also, my god did Wisconsin trounce the Hoosiers.

And I am definitely keen on seeing if Georgia can take Auburn down.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #661 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:21 PM

Utah is certainly not doing TCU any favors with this deal, nor is it helping any of the other "little guys".  It's pretty ballsy to go into South Bend though.  Even though they are going to the Pac 10 next year and will suddenly be in a power conference.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: November 13, 2010, 02:10:04 PM

Iowa just lost to Northwestern.  Sad day for the Big 10.

My apologies ghost.  I blew that one. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #663 on: November 13, 2010, 02:19:16 PM

Iowa just lost to Northwestern.  Sad day for the Big 10.

My apologies ghost.  I blew that one. 

No worries.

It's not a total loss for the Big Ten-  Wisconsin is going to look mighty good in the polls, even though IU isn't that tough. 

I know you played in the Big Ten.  Who did you play for?  I know you've probably put it on here before but I guess I haven't seen it.   
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #664 on: November 13, 2010, 02:22:53 PM

Cold and rainy in South Bend.  Hope the game is good.  I'm hoping Notre Dame gets destroyed!
ACK!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: