Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale) 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale)  (Read 77665 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #140 on: June 28, 2010, 11:24:02 AM

Thanks for updating the OP, I'm in between computer's being setup at the moment.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #141 on: June 28, 2010, 11:24:51 AM

At $10, it's twice as expensive as everything else.
I'd hold off until it gets a little cheaper in that case.  Oddworld should tide you over nicely.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #142 on: June 28, 2010, 11:30:34 AM

I've never heard of king arthur. What is it?
It's Total War + RPG elements in a historical fantasy setting.

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=18372.0
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #143 on: June 28, 2010, 11:31:40 AM

Also, I'd recommend Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising it for $5 if you like simulation first person wargames. Keep in mind, you're infantry for almost all of it so there's a good bit of running. It's fairly realistic. It's not call of duty; guys stay dead, enemy reinforcements exist, and people shoot semi-accurately. You have your own squad, there's a good bit of sneaking around and it was fairly enjoyable to me. I like it more than the "one man unstoppable army" call of duty type games. Sneak in, achieve objective, get out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #144 on: June 28, 2010, 11:40:20 AM

Is there still a decent multiplayer contingent for Op Flashpoint?

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #145 on: June 28, 2010, 11:41:44 AM

Don't think so. I only play single player anyway.

Edit: Consensus is the game is shit, especially online, and to just buy ArmA2 instead. One problem: ArmA2 isn't $5. I guess I had atypical 'fun' with it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:17:28 PM by bhodi »
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 28, 2010, 12:12:43 PM

Tales of monkey island worth it?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #147 on: June 28, 2010, 12:13:16 PM

I cannot in good conscience recommend Operation Flashpoint. Its realistic if by realistic you mean imagining having to walk around with an 90 lb sack on your back but instead of the intuitive controls that your brain affords your limbs, you're stuck with a xbox controller pad. You can actually -feel the tedium and exhaustion- of climbing up some god forsaken hill, only to get shot down by some enemy you won't see till your 5th load game.   Its all a counter intuitive mess with the weakest storyline since Dick and Jane.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: June 28, 2010, 12:35:18 PM

Tell me about star wolves and avencast. Avencast = diablo?

So far on list:

Gothic II: Gold Edition
Trine
Ghost Master®
Introversion Complete Pack
Oddworld Pack

I am not sold on gothic and trine quite yet, they are in the maybe category.

Star Wolves 3 is punishingly hard at times, prone to locking up, and kinda nifty. I tried 2 afterwords, but the resolution is locked at "crap"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #149 on: June 28, 2010, 12:47:42 PM

Gothic 2. Do you like rpg? Jap or Euro? If you like eurorpg, it's one of the best ever made (imo).

Found this old tweak I posted in another thread here for those indulging:

One thing I found makes the game a bit nicer is a cheat for draw-in. Activate the cheat console (Press 'C' for the character screen and type in 'marvin', hit 'C' again and you should see "MARVIN MODE" in the corner). Hit f2 to bring up the console and type in zh, which should autocomplete to zhighqualityrender, and hit enter, then close the console. This will draw in all the distance stuff, no more draw-in popup! It's a bit taxing on the system, but runs ok in most places on my clunker pc (though it crashes in the swamp, but you don't need it there anyway). You do need to reactivate it any time you teleport or even save the game (but it's not a big deal - f2, zh, enter)
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #150 on: June 28, 2010, 01:24:17 PM

OK well why not, even all added up it's still less than a normal priced game.

Gothic II: Gold Edition
Trine
Ghost Master®
Introversion Complete Pack
Oddworld Pack
UFO: Afterlight
King Arthur thing
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:34:33 PM by bhodi »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #151 on: June 28, 2010, 02:38:38 PM

Wow.  Force Unleashed is killing my system.  Runs horribly and crashes repeatedly.  Doesn't even look that good to warrant this kind of shit performance.

Good thing it was only 7.50.  swamp poop

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #152 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:17 PM

Yay! I have wanted to try King Arthur- ~$15 is a good price.

For whoever asked about Dogfighter- i bought it a couple of weeks ago on a whim. Played about 5 minutes of it and quit. The m+kb controls are fucking clownshoes...may try again with a 360 controller. Was unimpressed by the little I did play, but not being able to keep from crashing due to shit controls may have colored my impressions a bit.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: June 28, 2010, 05:44:58 PM

Having never played serious sam i picked it up the other day and feel i got my money's worth for sure.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 28, 2010, 05:54:52 PM

This is true. I got the THQ pack last night and it included DoW Gold along with, oddly enough, a separate Winter Assault, which is already in Gold.
Well fuck. That was the only thing stopping me from the
Godfuckingdamnit FINE take my money! give me games i'm not going to get around to playing!
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: June 28, 2010, 06:56:26 PM

Couldn't find my Jagged Alliance 2 disks, and want to see if it will run on the netbook for my holiday, so checked if it was on special. Cha-ching! 10$ for Jagged alliance 2 would make me happy, the expansion plus disciples 2 and its expansion as effectively freebies are sweet.

Not to much interest in the dailies though. I know a friend of mine seems fairly addicted to the King Arthur game but I always feel slightly bad about the stacked corpses in army games.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 28, 2010, 08:05:28 PM

Be aware that the Steam version of JA2 Gold is broken somehow (as in "will not work at all" broken) and it's up to Valve to fix it on their end.

If you use the unofficial 1.13 fanpatch, though, it'll work.
Rasix

Reply #157 on: June 28, 2010, 08:49:38 PM

Wow.  Force Unleashed is killing my system.  Runs horribly and crashes repeatedly.  Doesn't even look that good to warrant this kind of shit performance.

God, fuck this game. I'm going to try and get my money back.  This shit is shameful.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 28, 2010, 08:51:34 PM

Trine and Zeno Crash make my computer do a hard shutdown.  That or they are somehow overloading my GPUs and overheating them.

God, fuck this game. I'm going to try and get my money back.  This shit is shameful.

Seems to run fine on my system.  Controls are a bit wonky as someone mentioned, but it's was ok for the price, but it does take up like 30 gigs.
Rasix

Reply #159 on: June 28, 2010, 08:55:16 PM

It's running like dog shit and is hard crashing my system in menus of all things.   Controls are fine, especially now that I have a 360 controller plugged in.  The inability to play it once I have to access menu and the slow downs are just intollerable.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #160 on: June 28, 2010, 09:03:55 PM

Force Unleashed, if it's anything like the Wii version, well you really aren't missing anything.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: June 28, 2010, 09:19:35 PM

From what I've been told, the Wii version of TFU is essentially a different game.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #162 on: June 28, 2010, 09:50:52 PM

On my machine the intro for the first half ran like it was a slide show. I thought I was going to be one of those for whom the game does run but apparently after thrashing around for a while it got everything it needed loaded into memory or something and ran okay after that. Not the best graphics performance but tolerable.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: June 29, 2010, 05:34:27 AM

Given the size of the game, FU might be highly susceptible to a fragmented drive.  You might try a defrag and see if things improve.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: June 29, 2010, 08:19:59 AM

Space Rangers 2 Reboot (no Starforce!) for €4.74? Yes please.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #165 on: June 29, 2010, 08:52:49 AM

Here's an update on my purchases so far:

Puzzle Kingdoms:  It's ok.  I can see why it was available for $1.  The problem with this game is I'm on the third "Kingdom" (level) and I've only encountered one puzzle type.  There are a couple twists on it at the end of the level where you can do some bonus fights to earn extra boosts for your army, but essentially it's one long grind playing the same crappy and simplistic puzzle game.  

Overlord Bundle:  This is worth the $4.60.  My buddy saw me playing and commented "nice graphs."  The game is not as deep as I'd like, Bullfrog did a much better job with the humorist take on being evil in the 90s with Dungeon Keeper, and there's a little too much running around wondering where the fuck to go since there isn't a mini map (or a map of any kind).  Generally that's only a problem when they want to get sheisty and hide shit, as in the case of the Elf forest level.  Ultimately though, they strike a nice balance between puzzles, combat, and decorating.  Your castle starts off as a busted up terd, and as you gain wealth you can buy upgrades for it to spruce it up.  You can even get a forge and craft customized weapons and armor.  The expansion Raising Hell doesn't really add much besides a few levels.  I haven't played Overlord 2 but it looks like more of the same. Probably the coolest thing about the game to me is how your minions will pick up weapons and armor that has fallen from slain enemies and equip themselves, thus raising their effectiveness. Bottom line is I've sunk 10 hours into Overlord and it's kinda satisfying to send 30 minions into a room to smash shit up, get drunk, start pissing everywhere, and then kill everyone.  

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:55:31 AM by dusematic »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #166 on: June 29, 2010, 09:16:47 AM

Probably the coolest thing about the game to me is how your minions will pick up weapons and armor that has fallen from slain enemies and equip themselves, thus raising their effectiveness. Bottom line is I've sunk 10 hours into Overlord and it's kinda satisfying to send 30 minions into a room to smash shit up, get drunk, start pissing everywhere, and then kill everyone.  
I haven't had time to dig into Overlord yet, but I did love this aspect of the demo. Hated losing a minion who had picked up a cool combo of gear.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:36 AM

Doh, thats what I get for buying Street Fighter 4 last week.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 29, 2010, 10:14:32 AM

I'd been eying Numen since it came out, no idea why, but figured it was a good time to pick it up.  (I might even install it soonish as I'm kind of in an RPG mood but don't really want to go back to anything or try out Gothic 2/3 or Morrowind. awesome, for real)

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 29, 2010, 10:25:46 AM

Updated.

To: Steam

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: June 29, 2010, 10:26:13 AM

Also, put me down for Numen, Xcom Complete, GTA4. all for under $20
Rasix

Reply #171 on: June 29, 2010, 10:33:31 AM

Interesting reply from Support:

Hello Thomas, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Please complete a new purchase of a game of equal or greater value to your Steam account. If you wish, you may combine several games into a single cart purchase to reach the needed amount. Reply to this ticket once the purchase has been completed. Upon confirming your purchase on the account, I will cancel and refund your order for the original purchase. This offer is not valid for pre-order games, your new purchase may only be for game(s) that have already been released. This offer will only be valid for the next 15 days.

-Rasix
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: June 29, 2010, 11:02:42 AM

Holy shit that is some BS. I'm definitely reopening my ticket. Did you have to argue at all over that?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #173 on: June 29, 2010, 11:08:03 AM

Steam the app is totally wigged out at the moment for me.

Edit: make sure you write down/copy and paste your confirmation code after purchasing something while things are haywire. I can't get it recognize my newly purchased items, it's stuck on "Scanning for Steam license updates..." and the games don't show up in my Library yet.

Edit: I did just get a receipt for the purchase so at least that part is working still

Edit: Okay it finally recognized my purchases.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:19:25 AM by Trippy »
Rasix

Reply #174 on: June 29, 2010, 11:43:04 AM

Holy shit that is some BS. I'm definitely reopening my ticket. Did you have to argue at all over that?

I'm going to ask for some clarity, since it's pretty poorly worded. However, "buy new shit and we'll refund your old shit" seems like a pretty lazy policy.  It's not like I played a game and just didn't like it.  A defective PC port seems like one of those situations where you should be able to get your money back.  

Of course, I was likely to spend the money anyhow.  So, I may just run with this.

My ticket:

Quote from: Rasix
I would like to request a refund for this purchase.

The game does not run well on my system that meets all requirements. The first level is nearly played in slow motion as I'd estimate that the FPS is in the single digits. The subsequent level plays at a decent speed with some noticeable slowdowns, but accessing menus will start taxing my system heavily leading to a full lock up. Often just playing will lead to a lock up after 5-10 minutes.

This is not a functioning PC port and I would consider it to be a defective product. I would very much like to get my money back, as I shouldn't have to pay for something that simply does not work as promised.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:45:45 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale)  
Jump to: