Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  (Read 391660 times)
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: July 09, 2010, 10:21:01 AM

We won.  For now.

AKA Gyoza
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: July 09, 2010, 10:25:14 AM

I'm happy that they changed their mind, even though I was more apathetic about the change than others. Additionally, I still don't think this was Activision, but just Blizzard making a misstep. There's still been no indication that battle.net or RealID was going to be showing up in Activision properties, and they can't seem to keep anything under wraps.

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #597 on: July 09, 2010, 10:25:52 AM

We won.  For now.

"He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence."

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: July 09, 2010, 10:26:07 AM

That's really good to hear.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: July 09, 2010, 10:27:41 AM

We won.  For now.
And all it took was threadnoughts on the official forums, every single mmo blog bar about two saying "This is a fucking terrible idea", the mass media, a Penny Arcade comic, and the destruction of one CS minion's life.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: July 09, 2010, 10:29:30 AM

Let's suppose you're right, and it's not possible to determine whether John Doe who pissed someone in WoW/Warcraft is actually the same John Doe who winds up stalked, beaten up or in a sack floating down the river. But how does it make things any better for the latter John Doe, exactly?

People know where some people live, they should fear for their lives?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: July 09, 2010, 10:30:21 AM

You can stop posting now. We won, you lost.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nissl
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: July 09, 2010, 10:37:11 AM

Now if you could just toggle off RealID in game, appear as a fixed nickname, and disable friends of friends viewing you, I might actually use the system if I resub for the expansion.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: July 09, 2010, 10:37:25 AM

We won.  For now.
And all it took was threadnoughts on the official forums, every single mmo blog bar about two saying "This is a fucking terrible idea", the mass media, a Penny Arcade comic, and the destruction of one CS minion's life.

To be fair, that CS minion brazenly challenged the armpit of the internet and got what he was asking for.  I hope they leave the guy alone now, but what he did was monumentally stupid given what knowledge he must garner about the internet in his day job.

AKA Gyoza
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: July 09, 2010, 10:38:44 AM

I understand what the "internet" was trying to illustrate, but I still think it was a horrible thing to do to the guy. Doubly so if the rumours of him quitting and hiding in a hotel are true.

beer geek.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: July 09, 2010, 10:41:09 AM

I don't think anything happened to Bashiok job-wise. He's still posting on the forums.

And anyway, the whole announcement read to me as basically a big "You guys may've won for now, but we're still going to be hustling RealID. And now that you babies didn't want to just spread 'em and take it the easy way, we get to do this the slow, insidious, boiling frog way. Enjoy!"
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: July 09, 2010, 10:42:03 AM

I don't actually care much about RealID one way or another, since I can't use it to auto-fill the names of my alts in game mail.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #607 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:12 AM

I understand what the "internet" was trying to illustrate, but I still think it was a horrible thing to do to the guy. Doubly so if the rumours of him quitting and hiding in a hotel are true.
I think people misunderstand the *chans when they do shit like this. It's not some big-minded thing about "protecting anonymity on the net", it's more like, "Lol, looks like some Blizzard employee guy gave the internet his real name since he says that's safe. Hell we have some time to kill, looks like we're ordering some pizzas!"

It's griefing people for the purpose of griefing because that's funny and something to do; the more media/internet culture visible the target is the funnier.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: July 09, 2010, 10:46:31 AM

I completely understand #chan childishness. That only increases my point, really.

beer geek.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: July 09, 2010, 10:47:26 AM

Well that's a good backpedal. I still think the entire realid system needs some fine tuning, though. I'm not that fond of the friend of a friend thing.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: July 09, 2010, 10:51:59 AM

I'm glad this is over... until next time, I guess.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: July 09, 2010, 10:53:57 AM

The key is really the driver behind Real ID. If they stay committed to making World of Warcraft a social network, if they stay fixated on Zynga, then this is just a short-term backing off to save face, and you can fully expect that they'll be spending time over the next few weeks coming up with a slow phasing-in version of the same plan. I can even guess what that might be if they take that approach:

1. Don't say anything about the forums, real names or Real ID for a few months.
2. Offer a special pet for people who opt in to using all the features of Real ID two or so months after Cataclysm goes live.
3. Offer a special mount for people who enable the "Use my real name!" special feature just implemented in Real ID.
4. Offer a special mount plus title for players who get the achievement for 100 Facebook Updates! four months after Cataclysm goes live.
5. Change the General Forum in the official forums to "The Backroom" and create a new "Prestige General" forum for Real-ID enabled players. Blues will only reply to the Prestige General.
6. A year from now, quietly retire "The Backroom".

OR...if this begins a strong push-back inside the company against moving in a social-networking direction, then yeah, maybe the players did just win. We will see.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:11 AM

Well that's a good backpedal. I still think the entire realid system needs some fine tuning, though. I'm not that fond of the friend of a friend thing.

No wonder you won't add me. :( We were never friends were we! *sobs*

beer geek.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: July 09, 2010, 10:58:20 AM

"Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature."

Sounds like they still want it, in a bad way.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:14 AM

Doesn't change anything for me.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:26 AM

They may have backed off RealID on their forums (for now?), but they still need to add aliases to the in-game version.  You think maybe the outcry on this might be an indication that yeah, maybe the majority of people might actually value their privacy?

Over and out.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: July 09, 2010, 11:05:50 AM

They need your real name to make it so that your Blizzard persona is subjected to your Facebook.  It's really as simple as that.  As long as I have the option to not do it, and hackers can't see my real name, I'm good.  But I'm still kind of wary that it won't end up like that.

AKA Gyoza
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #617 on: July 09, 2010, 11:06:53 AM

I don't actually care much about RealID one way or another, since I can't use it to auto-fill the names of my alts in game mail.

A couple of pages back you said you were tempted to post your real name, according to you it didn't matter because you didn't do facebook.  Because I'm not a total dick (all of the time), I sent you a private message with your real name and date of birth, did you miss the message or what?  Because from your real name, which was the tricky bit, I easily found facebook pages for your two brothers, one of your sisters and even your Dad.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #618 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:54 AM

since the in-game RealID always links to character

This is actually not true. You can't see the characters of anyone on the friend of friend list as far as I have been able to figure out.

EDIT: Them backing off is not really that surprising, given the sheer numbers and the fact that I think for once people were actually putting their non-money where their mouth is with a change they didn't like.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: July 09, 2010, 11:09:09 AM

A couple of pages back you said you were tempted to post your real name, according to you it didn't matter because you didn't do facebook.  Because I'm not a total dick (all of the time), I sent you a private message with your real name and date of birth, did you miss the message or what?  Because from your real name, which was the tricky bit, I easily found facebook pages for your two brothers, one of your sisters and even your Dad.

Maybe you should give him a call.  Find out for sure.

Also.  Lol pwned.

AKA Gyoza
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #620 on: July 09, 2010, 11:13:36 AM

Wow, they backpedaled!

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968987278&sid=1

we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

Watch it getting rolled out with much less parade a few months down the road. There's not a single word of recognition in that post how the concept itself may be a dubious idea, nor acknowledgment the raised concerns may be warranted.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: July 09, 2010, 11:23:41 AM

Even with the backpedaling this episode changes how I feel about Blizzard. I don't trust them anymore. I expect that with future Blizzard games I'll be using phony information to register.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: July 09, 2010, 11:27:12 AM

Maybe you should give him a call.  Find out for sure.

Also.  Lol pwned.

He is correct, he doesn't have an address AFAIK, but that might not be hard depending on where he's farming data.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:28:54 AM by Sheepherder »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #623 on: July 09, 2010, 11:28:18 AM

I wasn't trying for an address, is the photo I sent of you?
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: July 09, 2010, 11:29:01 AM

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: July 09, 2010, 11:37:33 AM

Yes.  Four years old though.

You really should write a book about stalking people online.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: July 09, 2010, 11:38:03 AM

awesome, for real  Loved that. Possible meme start there. "Someone already killed these Internet Dragons. It is safe."
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: July 09, 2010, 11:43:42 AM

I'm so glad we won!

Hurray for Scott Jennings and everyone else who opposed it. Good job, well done!

I genuinely expected people would be murdered as a result of this. I did a little research into people murdered where there is a connection with Facebook and people murdered where there is a connection with WoW. I found about 4 cases where WoW bringing people together resulted in a murder but loads more where Facebook was the catalyst. While I realise Facebook has bigger numbers I think WoW gameplay inherently provides motive, albeit a crap motive that someone should want to hurt another person in real life over a video game. But the key thing about Facebook as a catalyst for murder is that you can track people down easier with Facebook.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: July 09, 2010, 11:44:08 AM

And how did you find his real name?

I genuinely expected people would be murdered as a result of this. I did a little research into people murdered where there is a connection with Facebook and people murdered where there is a connection with WoW. I found about 4 cases where WoW bringing people together resulted in a murder but loads more where Facebook was the catalyst. While I realise Facebook has bigger numbers I think WoW gameplay inherently provides motive, albeit a crap motive that someone should want to hurt another person in real life over a video game. But the key thing about Facebook as a catalyst for murder is that you can track people down easier with Facebook.

Pretty much.  Dude, if someone wants to stalk and kill you, they will find you, unless you actively make sure to release nothing online.  But most people don't.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #629 on: July 09, 2010, 11:50:41 AM

Yes.  Four years old though.

You really should write a book about stalking people online.

I was making a point and trying not to be too much of a dick while doing it.  I don't do anything difficult and I also don't think I'm that good at it.  Belated congratulations on the Certificate you got in fifth grade for the essay on how to say "No to Drugs" though.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  
Jump to: