Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:02:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  (Read 391669 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: July 09, 2010, 02:08:24 PM

I'm not sure I see what stubbornness you mean. There was some initial "this is what we are going to do", but no company is going to make a decision on something this integral to their development plans in a span of an hour.
Their initial follow-up didn't sound like they were going to be flexible, at all.  It wasn't until the "Oh dear, they really don't like this reality settled in that they went up the chain".

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #666 on: July 09, 2010, 02:14:25 PM

You kind of have to post something like that while it is being discussed in the back room though - if you post something more flexible sounding, and then the back room people decide "no we really are going forward with this" then you lose even more credibility than you would just by posting the company line and saying "we are reading your feedback".

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: July 09, 2010, 02:20:41 PM

Or they decided they were going to implement an extremely stupid RealID system, know the fanbase outcry would be through the roof, then repeal it and hide behind the shield of "well we truly serve our fans. So lets show that we listen to people."

Just read the first few posts under the repeal post. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: July 09, 2010, 02:21:17 PM

Check this out, and prepare to feel violated.

http://pipl.com/

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: July 09, 2010, 02:23:33 PM

It occurs to me that another hidden 'benefit' of RealID using real names is it is actually easier socially to tell someone "no sorry" when you DON'T want to RealID friend them when it isn't just an alias.  why so serious?

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: July 09, 2010, 02:31:54 PM

Nada for me on there. It had one myspace, I changed the info (forgot I'd ever created it) and did another search and it was gone (so it's live search, not cached).

I've inputted my name in other sites and found addresses and lists of ex-roommates from college. pipl is pretty tame.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: July 09, 2010, 02:34:35 PM

I think you are just lucky.

That thing linked me to at least 20 other sites of a similar nature.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #672 on: July 09, 2010, 02:35:16 PM

Nothing on me unless you know my city/state as well as my name, at which point you could have tracked me down 50 years ago with the phonebook, so whatever. With just my name you end up getting a bunch of people I never knew existed.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: July 09, 2010, 02:39:07 PM

Ah, see I used my name and such. Still, its kinda scary, not only do you need to pay for your own info, you need to pay to have it scrubbed off the net.  ACK!

Even put in my e-mail and it went right to my myspace page.... I never knew myspace had my e-mail anywhere on the site, let alone directly linked somehow to my page.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:41:33 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: July 09, 2010, 02:39:19 PM

Even when I put in my name and city both, only a couple of the things were actually me - apparently I'm not even the only one of me in my not-that-large town.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: July 09, 2010, 02:46:50 PM

My full first name into google:
About 131,000,000 results  (0.31 seconds)

My full last name into google:
About 170,000,000 results  (0.15 seconds)

Putting those into pipl combined with my home city found me. It found a lot of other people, but out of the two 'contacts details' it found, it wouldn't be hard to pick me out of the two, since it's pretty obvious I'm not 77.

It has my correct address, but for some reason thinks I'm in a relationship and my hobbies include Travel, Home decorating, Home improvement.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: July 09, 2010, 02:59:05 PM

Putting my name, city and state did not find me, but it did find a myspace of a guy who looks like a scary me and lived in my last city.

I'm still pretty easy to find though.  Just not through that.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: July 09, 2010, 03:10:07 PM

It found my facebook which should have most info obscured to non-friends.  That was it.

Google on first+middle, first+last, or even first or last alone (with lots of useless links) turns up for more.  It's kind of silly that it can't find anything else considering any combination of my names is unique.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: July 09, 2010, 03:10:27 PM

Even when I put in my name and city both, only a couple of the things were actually me - apparently I'm not even the only one of me in my not-that-large town.

I told you that you were Mr. Generic Name.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #679 on: July 09, 2010, 03:15:01 PM

EDIT: I was out of primary and secondary school before they did Facebook.  I'm going to have to find if they've retroactively added information.

Naw, it's a facebook group, not an official school thing, contact your extensive facebook siblings network about it  tongue
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: July 09, 2010, 03:16:07 PM

ACK!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: July 09, 2010, 03:23:42 PM

Wow, they backpedaled!

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968987278&sid=1

Never been happier to be wrong. Gonna laugh when this nets Blizzard actual goodwill though.

I feel like a 14 year old girl who just narrowly escaped a ride in the candy van.

This ain't over yet.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #682 on: July 09, 2010, 04:04:45 PM

That pipl thing confirms I have a very common name across the world, but nailed down my location, phone # i never use, and my sister's name.

Luckily it's the South so we're all packing a small armory of guns down here if ppl come a'lookin.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: July 09, 2010, 04:06:19 PM

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: July 09, 2010, 04:07:54 PM

It thinks I live with my mom. Well that hasn't been true for over a decade, and I even own my house :( What a shitty search! And it has my zodiac sign wrong, which is hilarious since it has the birthday right.

The idea behind the site when I click in though, is Fucking Creepy.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: July 09, 2010, 04:10:29 PM

It thinks I live with my mom. Well that hasn't been true for over a decade, and I even own my house :( What a shitty search! And it has my zodiac sign wrong, which is hilarious since it has the birthday right.

The idea behind the site when I click in though, is Fucking Creepy.

Thats the thing, its an aggregate site of all public records, and other sites of the same nature. Such as the one you clicked on and looked at your zodiac sign, did you notice the inline google street view directly to your house (wrong or not).

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #686 on: July 09, 2010, 04:12:19 PM

Of course - but at the same time there is a line where you can be so risk-averse that you end up costing yourself something useful for no significant gain. The issue is finding where that line is for yourself. For you obviously it is in a different place than for me.

EDIT: To provide what is perhaps an extreme example, if either Sjofn or I had been as risk-averse about social contact through the Internet as many (most?) people in this thread seem to be advocating, we'd never have met, gotten married, etc. Obviously I prefer the result I've got to that.
There is a huge gulf.  I've gone up to Edmonton to meet a group of MUD friends and did a return trip with my girlfriend at the time a few years later.  Vu moved here because of an internet friendship.  Many of you know my name.  (Not that it's at all hard to figure out with a minimum of searching)  However there are ways to allow for privacy that don't involve such binary systems.

If Blizzard had presented this as a tiered system with a fixed handle ala CoX and a further option to share your real name like Facebook, they would have made internet history.  As is?  They fucked up and it'll be a long time before people trust them again and they cost themselves subs because of stubbornness,  If internally this went over as well as the rumors suggest, it was doubly a stupid monetization scheme.

It's not really as huge as you think. If at any point one of your MUD friends did something to you, people would be calling you stupid for going to see them. If Ingmar had at any point turned into a crazy man and hurt me, people would've been calling me stupid. It doesn't matter how well you knew your Fake Internet Friends, if it turned out you didn't know them as well as you thought, people call YOU stupid for trusting them.

I'm not saying RealID is awesome and I am definitely not saying I would be comfortable having my real name displayed every time I post. Those are beyond my personal boundries. But everyone breaks the "common sense" rules to protect one's privacy and protect one's self from the nebulous Bad People. It's just most of the time, you aren't dealing with a bad person. But once in a while, someone is and then everyone tsks and laments how people are stupid because they don't wall themselves off completely from other people they meet.

EDIT: Haha, who am I kidding, they only tsk about WOMEN being stupid.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:17:45 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: July 09, 2010, 04:16:48 PM

I'm not saying ReadID is awesome and I am definitely not saying I would be comfortable having my real name displayed every time I post. Those are beyond my personal boundries. But everyone breaks the "common sense" rules to protect one's privacy and protect one's self from the nebulous Bad People. It's just most of the time, you aren't dealing with a bad person. But once in a while, someone is and then everyone tsks and laments how people are stupid because they don't wall themselves off completely from other people they meet.

Mandatory disclosure is crap. Jane McBeatenwife should be able to post about her talent build without leaving another breadcrumb for Mr McBeatenwife to follow. I'm sure there's some extremes of total disclosure or total anonymity that are unworkable, but for the most part, people on the net should be able to decide how much of a personal footprint they leave.

I think I'm agreeing with you?

patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: July 09, 2010, 04:17:22 PM

They need your real name to make it so that your Blizzard persona is subjected to your Facebook.  It's really as simple as that.  As long as I have the option to not do it, and hackers can't see my real name, I'm good.  But I'm still kind of wary that it won't end up like that.

This logic confuses me somewhat. Blizzard already has or will have a huge chunk of players IDs to begin with when they pay through debit or credit cards. Using such sources to share with corporate friends has been done before and we as a society have tacitly condoned it. They won't get everyone unlike Real ID so I don't see what the point is in making a hamfisted move to capture everyone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KtPiECJWro

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: July 09, 2010, 04:17:33 PM

.. but what if you ARE stupid for trusting us?

I mean, I could kick your ass or something (don't hurt me!)

I've met a lot of Fake Internet Friends at this point in my life, but my comfort level is always meeting them first on even terms with an easy backout plan. So far they've all been really cool, but I'm still a little wary of the whole New Internet People thing, just because I really don't know them yet.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #690 on: July 09, 2010, 04:19:17 PM

I'm not saying ReadID is awesome and I am definitely not saying I would be comfortable having my real name displayed every time I post. Those are beyond my personal boundries. But everyone breaks the "common sense" rules to protect one's privacy and protect one's self from the nebulous Bad People. It's just most of the time, you aren't dealing with a bad person. But once in a while, someone is and then everyone tsks and laments how people are stupid because they don't wall themselves off completely from other people they meet.

Mandatory disclosure is crap. Jane McBeatenwife should be able to post about her talent build without leaving another breadcrumb for Mr McBeatenwife to follow. I'm sure there's some extremes of total disclosure or total anonymity that are unworkable, but for the most part, people on the net should be able to decide how much of a personal footprint they leave.

I think I'm agreeing with you?

Yeah, you are. My point was just that everyone has their own line in the sand and should be able to make that decision for themselves, with a side of "and if it turns out someone abuses the trust placed in them, that doesn't necessarily mean the victim was being stupid, you asshole victim blamers."  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #691 on: July 09, 2010, 04:21:19 PM

It's just most of the time, you aren't dealing with a bad person. But once in a while, someone is and then everyone tsks and laments how people are stupid because they don't wall themselves off completely from other people they meet.

Yeah, they will. Victims of lots of crimes get judged for simply being where they are IRL as well. The internet is not special in this regard.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: July 09, 2010, 04:21:57 PM

I've met a lot of Fake Internet Friends at this point in my life, but my comfort level is always meeting them first on even terms with an easy backout plan.

I thought we met next to the police station for the scenery.   Cry
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #693 on: July 09, 2010, 04:28:43 PM

I thought Real ID was like the phone book.  I have always had an unlisted number, I saw what happened to Sarah Connor 1 & 2 as a kid.  The telephone isn't evil, the phone book isn't evil and most people in the phone book don't get murdered.  But it's the "most" that bugs people I think.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: July 09, 2010, 04:43:43 PM

I've met a lot of Fake Internet Friends at this point in my life, but my comfort level is always meeting them first on even terms with an easy backout plan. So far they've all been really cool, but I'm still a little wary of the whole New Internet People thing, just because I really don't know them yet.

Flying to California has an easy backout plan? <3

beer geek.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #695 on: July 09, 2010, 04:53:24 PM

Internet Detective indeed.  lol  awesome, for real

You should see what Righ can do if motivated.  There's a reason his grief title is "Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #696 on: July 09, 2010, 05:04:12 PM

And of course all that same sort of social information sharing goes on in guilds in WoW as well, which depending on how concerned or not you are about your privacy in general, could make RealID almost an afterthought in terms of your stalkability or whatever.

Pretty much.  Hence why the extra mouth-froth on top of everything else is interesting.

For me, it was never, ever about keeping someone from putting the pieces together and tracking me down.  I have a long internet history as this name and anyone who chooses to do so could.  However, that internet history is attached to THIS NAME, not my real one which is my Professional moniker.  It would take more work to link the two than a simple google search, but I know it can be done.  However, that's more work than someone looking for my True Name in a professional capacity is likely to do.

I'm not going for security-clearance-level of obfuscation, only random client level.  I don't want my game profile to pop up if you're looking for an Architectural opinion or design, I want my professional or public personal profile to do so, which it does.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #697 on: July 09, 2010, 05:16:34 PM

Nah, I'm good with all the info it brings up on me.  Public records are public records and being a married homeowner there's going to be some stuff about me online these days. 

However,  there are only 3 people in the entire country with my name and we all have different middle names. While I don't know that branch of the family I know why they're where they are and it's why we don't talk.  It's one of the reasons I'm so obsessive about maintaining my public profile and revealing any part of it only on my own terms.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: July 09, 2010, 05:28:57 PM

Flying to California has an easy backout plan? <3

It's a relatively easy state to light on fire.
craan
Terracotta Army

... . ...br.. . ..br. . ...br

Reply #699 on: July 09, 2010, 06:01:47 PM

Thanks to pipl I found a violent sex offender with my first, middle, and last name in the same state.   ACK!

PWYWWYFSWLSOCA
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  
Jump to: