Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  (Read 398860 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: July 07, 2010, 01:31:58 PM

The rest of it, again, why the fuck would I care?  Was everyone here a WoW forum warrior or something?  I never touched the damn thing.

Because its about the principle of it, not that it would personally effect me.  
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: July 07, 2010, 01:33:22 PM

And who the hell is forcing anyone to play that?

That's really what I don't get about the slippery slope-type arguments.  It's not like there aren't alternatives out there if Blizzard goes completely off the reservation.

Since when does the fact that there alternatives out there excuse shitty behavior?  Its like saying "I don't get why people are pissed at BP, they can buy gas from another company" awesome, for real

Edit: NO, I'm not actually comparing the two things directly, so skip that post you were about to make.  My point is, bad behavior by a company doesn't suddenly become a non issue because there are other options.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:18 PM

That's really what I don't get about the slippery slope-type arguments.  It's not like there aren't alternatives out there if Blizzard goes completely off the reservation.

Since when does the fact that there alternatives out there excuse shitty behavior?  Its like saying "I don't get why people are pissed at BP, they can buy gas from another company" awesome, for real

Because the existence of alternatives allows people to vote with their wallets.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:06 PM

Because most of the alternatives look to WoW for ideas?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: July 07, 2010, 01:39:10 PM

god i hate wow.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: July 07, 2010, 01:42:18 PM

There really aren't alternatives out there, especially in the MMO scene. Unless you like broken shit or spreadsheets, its WoW or bust.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: July 07, 2010, 01:42:53 PM

Because most of the alternatives look to WoW for ideas?

Alternative video games, sure.

But if my options for leisure activities are: be anally probed by Blizzard, be anally probed by NCSoft, or read a book... I can always just read a book.  If the video games socially-integrate themselves (or whatever the marketing-speak is) into oblivion, that's a bit sad as someone who likes the concept, but it's not cause for Tinfoil Hat-ery.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: July 07, 2010, 01:43:27 PM

There really aren't alternatives out there, especially in the MMO scene. Unless you like broken shit or spreadsheets, its WoW or bust.
Try EQ2 or LOTRO.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: July 07, 2010, 01:46:33 PM

Has facebook and myspace made us dumber? Honestly 10 years ago when the interwebs was a scary place we would have massed boycotted EQ and UO for doing this shit. Now its "well the blizzard forums will get less trolly"  swamp poop
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: July 07, 2010, 01:51:13 PM

This shit is only "optional" now because they are testing it in the WoW community before they release the other games. What they want to do is force to sign up for a Battlenet account and access the game with a persistent internet connection that displays your real name when you're logged in, so they can tell who is trying to pirate their precious game, and get paid by their facebook partners. That's not optional. That's where this is heading.

Tinfoil Hat

And when we hit that slippery slope, I'll be right behind you.  But we're not there yet.

I don't post on the forums and I have yet to add anyone as a RealID friend because frankly, they can just IM me if they're a real friend.  With my guild I prefer being able to dip to an alt and have a relaxing night not tanking.

Currently, the entire feature remains optional for playing the game, which is personally what matters to me.

Hell, half of us probably use the same damn pseudonym across everything.  You could google a number of the names here and probably get a hit.  

Has facebook and myspace made us dumber? Honestly 10 years ago when the interwebs was a scary place we would have massed boycotted EQ and UO for doing this shit. Now its "well the blizzard forums will get less trolly"

No, it's just "hey, you've already put all that information out there yourself using Facebook, Myspace, Steam, and what the fuck ever" 

As I said, as long as I can opt out by simply not posting on the forums, I'm fine.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #220 on: July 07, 2010, 01:51:34 PM

Try EQ2 or LOTRO.

Both games make me want to play WoW when I play them.

-Rasix
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: July 07, 2010, 01:52:46 PM

Has facebook and myspace made us dumber? Honestly 10 years ago when the interwebs was a scary place we would have massed boycotted EQ and UO for doing this shit. Now its "well the blizzard forums will get less trolly"  swamp poop
Seriously, Smedley has to be sitting out there right now and thinking "Well, no matter how bad we were back then, at least we never tried to pull shit like this"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: July 07, 2010, 01:54:34 PM

Try EQ2 or LOTRO.
I've played EQ2 off and on since launch; I don't like MTX + Sub fee though so I don't plan to go back soon. Plus they've been aping WoW pretty seriously since launch, so if this catches on it wouldn't surprise me if SOE adopted it.

And I'm not into LOTR in general.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: July 07, 2010, 01:56:26 PM

Because the existence of alternatives allows people to vote with their wallets.

Yeah, voting with your wallet is nice, but again, thats a practical solution to a single problem, its not a principled argument against that kind of thing *in general.*   Why do people argue over politics instead of shutting up and going to the polling station when its time? Because its about principle, not just about practice.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #224 on: July 07, 2010, 02:00:51 PM

As I said, as long as I can opt out by simply not posting on the forums, I'm fine.

That's true, and it may never come to be what I fear, but I don't like the developer with the largest mass market appeal in gaming getting into bed with the largest social networking site in the United States. What Blizzard does well tends to become the norm for other studios who want to cash in on the $$$.

I don't want to have to log into Facebook to play a decent title.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: July 07, 2010, 02:04:29 PM

If you think that other companies who never would've dreamed of pulling something similar a year ago aren't waiting to jump on this if sub levels stay the same you're smoking crack. It's a hop skin and a jump for EA to implement it in the Battlefield series or Valve to implement it with Steam. And maybe they won't but the argument "it doesn't affect ME!" is just going to leave you open to ridicule when they tie it to the Armory and you mysteriously don't get that job because the 58 year old Luddite found out you play WoW.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: July 07, 2010, 02:06:03 PM

That's true, and it may never come to be what I fear, but I don't like the developer with the largest mass market appeal in gaming getting into bed with the largest social networking site in the United States. What Blizzard does well tends to become the norm for other studios who want to cash in on the $$$.

Damn straight.  And it will be a sad day indeed.

And if Blizzard goes that way, I can merely hope that EA does not follow them with SWTOR.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: July 07, 2010, 02:09:51 PM

I don't want to have my real name broadcasted in order for me to play a video game.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: July 07, 2010, 02:12:16 PM

At least now we're getting past all the false indignation about this. Complaining about 'WoW's forum's threads started by admins' linking your name to your level 70 elven warg buggerer is simply dumb when compared to the kind of stuff most people here already have on facebook. Facebook already has, what, your name/image/general location/age/friends/likes/dislikes/activities/etc. Adding a list of your phat lewts to that will hardly kill you.

Really, this argument is no different than the shit that comes up every time Blizzard changes anything about WoW. It's all just they changed it and now it sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if this realid shit is eventually a huge success. Why? Because the facebook casual gaming farmbook generation eats that shit up. You're all the old guard, and they outnumber you ten to one. I played WoW back during release. They started changing it, so I left. I hold nothing against Blizzard for moving the game towards a much larger demographic. Nobody is forcing you to do anything, so if you don't like what WoW is doing, just stop playing it. Or keep posting about how filthy casuals stoles our precious.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: July 07, 2010, 02:15:53 PM

At least now we're getting past all the false indignation about this. Complaining about 'WoW's forum's threads started by admins' linking your name to your level 70 elven warg buggerer is simply dumb when compared to the kind of stuff most people here already have on facebook. Facebook already has, what, your name/image/general location/age/friends/likes/dislikes/activities/etc. Adding a list of your phat lewts to that will hardly kill you.

Really, this argument is no different than the shit that comes up every time Blizzard changes anything about WoW. It's all just they changed it and now it sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if this realid shit is eventually a huge success. Why? Because the facebook casual gaming farmbook generation eats that shit up. You're all the old guard, and they outnumber you ten to one. I played WoW back during release. They started changing it, so I left. I hold nothing against Blizzard for moving the game towards a much larger demographic. Nobody is forcing you to do anything, so if you don't like what WoW is doing, just stop playing it. Or keep posting about how filthy casuals stoles our precious.

The only thing I agree with is unsub or stfu. The rest of it, especially comparing real privacy concerns to some retarded casual vs hardcore argument, just means that you view real life issues solely through the lens of video games. That makes you a horrible manbaby.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: July 07, 2010, 02:16:35 PM

Oh hey look, another "it doesn't affect me so I don't care" post.  Guess what, it doesn't affect me either, but it still matters.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: July 07, 2010, 02:17:53 PM

Has facebook and myspace made us dumber? Honestly 10 years ago when the interwebs was a scary place we would have massed boycotted EQ and UO for doing this shit. Now its "well the blizzard forums will get less trolly"

No, it's just "hey, you've already put all that information out there yourself using Facebook, Myspace, Steam, and what the fuck ever" 

It's not quite that, though, is it.  Yea the info is out there.  But now it's like Blizzard is saying, "Hey you put this info out there already, right?  Mind if I make a billion dollars off it while I sell you my game you pay for monthly?  Oh, and now I'm going to force you to watch these ads on your Facebook, tell all your friends you're a wow nerd, and of course any potential employers will be able to easily find out you played games for 150 hours last week because we spammed your page with the achievement.  What's that?  What do you get out of it?  Oh it's a much improved experience.  I'm sure you'll agree because I say you will."

Seriously, guy.  None of that shit on Facebook is really optional.  It's only pseudo-optional.  You don't have to do it only because they can't legally get away with making you.  But you have to do it to play the games.  It's the viral part of viral marketing.  It's like, a virus.  If you don't help spread the virus, you're not a true believer and so you don't get access to the game options that being a true believer unlocks.

If you don't think it's coming to that, then you're just being overly optimistic.  It's not the 'oh it's optional' part that scares people.  It's the 'this is only the beginning' part.  This is a game.  It doesn't need all this crap to continue being a game.  There's no high minded social agenda here, either.  It's just about the money.

AKA Gyoza
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: July 07, 2010, 02:23:23 PM

There's no high minded social agenda here, either.  It's just about the money.

If they REALLY cared about cleaning up their forums they'd fucking ban people for about five million less than it cost to develop this game. I can clean up their forums right now for 30k a year or whatever pittance they're paying those poor schlubs.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: July 07, 2010, 02:25:48 PM

Over and out.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: July 07, 2010, 02:26:33 PM

There's no high minded social agenda here, either.  It's just about the money.

If they REALLY cared about cleaning up their forums they'd fucking ban people for about five million less than it cost to develop this game. I can clean up their forums right now for 30k a year or whatever pittance they're paying those poor schlubs.

Right but you'd cost them more money than that in lost subs because you would ban the shit out of people and then they'd ragequit.

AKA Gyoza
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: July 07, 2010, 02:28:52 PM

No they wouldn't. If you post on a forum at all you're so invested you're not going anywhere.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: July 07, 2010, 02:30:00 PM

Yeah, so one of the "Real ID & RL names means nothing at all and I bet you can't find me" people seems to have had his eyes opened.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: July 07, 2010, 02:31:08 PM

its kinda hard for people to understand this but they are 1 text field away from getting their account hacked. about 1 text field away from getting their credit card info stolen once the blizz account is hacked. and 2 text fields away from hacking your email address.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: July 07, 2010, 02:32:17 PM

[stuff...]But you have to do it to play the games. [...more stuff]

If I don't have (or don't link) to a facebook account I can't play WoW?  Is this true?
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: July 07, 2010, 02:34:21 PM

Not at the moment.  But that's the road we're on.

AKA Gyoza
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: July 07, 2010, 02:35:56 PM

Indeed.  How long do you think it will be until your Armory profile is linked to your facebook page?

Over and out.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: July 07, 2010, 02:38:40 PM

Minus five months.
Sure, it's optional now....

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: July 07, 2010, 02:43:24 PM

Maybe I missed when this internet slang became common knowledge, but what is E: ? Example?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: July 07, 2010, 02:45:34 PM

Edit. :)

And there's a few more articles out there now.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: July 07, 2010, 02:45:44 PM

Yeah, voting with your wallet is nice, but again, thats a practical solution to a single problem, its not a principled argument against that kind of thing *in general.*   Why do people argue over politics instead of shutting up and going to the polling station when its time? Because its about principle, not just about practice.

Because Tinfoil Hat isn't about making a principled argument.  It's about "This change portends a future change that will be terrible!"

If they announce said change, then you can be apoplectic about it then.  But being apoplectic about this change now, if you don't use the official forums, is being fucking hyperbolic.

On top of that, to follow your own analogy, most people are right now phonebanking against the person they're voting for.  It's insane.  Blizzard really doesn't care that people are shouting up a storm if it doesn't translate into lost subs, and no one's saying really saying that at this point.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  
Jump to: