Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spiderman The Reboot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spiderman The Reboot  (Read 38243 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:27 AM

What? I can't even grasp that... So what makes it spiderman rather than <generic insect>man?

Not sure if serious...

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: February 08, 2012, 10:20:17 AM

I too am perplexed.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #142 on: February 08, 2012, 10:30:29 AM

There are in fact people in the world whose only exposure to Spiderman is the movies.

Yeah, kinda gives me the willies too.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: February 08, 2012, 04:34:56 PM

and why Peter is using machines to shoot webs now instead of making it naturally. 

swamp poop

What? I can't even grasp that... So what makes it spiderman rather than <generic insect>man?

Seriously?  I am in no way a hardcore comic book fan, but I know this truth.  It's how it was portrayed and done in the 90s animated series Fox put out.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 03, 2012, 12:27:52 AM

Arise! Just got back from a midnight showing; I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually pretty funny, in addition to being a good origin story for Spidey.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 03, 2012, 03:16:46 AM

The problem I always had with synthetic webs is where in the suit does the gear fit?

Also if Parker can invent nano tech web material and slingers, why doesn't he sell them and become as rich as Bruce Wayne.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 03, 2012, 04:32:57 AM

Oh for fucks sake.  We're really going to do this reverse argument here ?  In this den of geeks ??

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 03, 2012, 04:39:30 AM

The problem I always had with synthetic webs is where in the suit does the gear fit?

Also if Parker can invent nano tech web material and slingers, why doesn't he sell them and become as rich as Bruce Wayne.

Because if he did that he would be revealing he was spider-man and that could mean Aunt May could get hurt in her Beverly Hills Mansion guarded by 6 battalions of Blackwater guards that Petey paid for with his pocket change.

One of the things that made Spidey popular as a comic character was his Humanity. People could relate to him. But he really was a fucking idiot when it came to his personal life.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 03, 2012, 04:40:18 AM

Because wealth wasn't what he was about.

Great Power.  Great Responsibility.  That kind of shit.

Keep up.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 03, 2012, 04:59:39 AM

Arise! Just got back from a midnight showing; I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually pretty funny, in addition to being a good origin story for Spidey.
I was actually farily underwhelmed with the new movie.  The cast was good, the story was ok, but the movie in general just didn't gel with me the way Avengers did.  It was also had some very over the top comic book cliche stuff that was not nearly as well done as the avengers equivilent:
Also, I hate to say it, but any credit they gained with me from things like the Mechanical Web Shooters, and realistic city swinging (parker is occasionally shown having trouble swinging in areas with low buildings, instead of just swinging with ease everywhere he goes), they completely lost with
All in all, a fairly decent re-boot of the Spidey franchise, but sadly, not even in the same League, let alone ballpark as Avengers.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:35 AM

I agree completely that this doesn't stack up against the Avengers; compared to the trash that was Spiderman 3, however, this was pretty good.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:48 AM

I agree completely that this doesn't stack up against the Avengers; compared to the trash that was Spiderman 3, however, this was pretty good.

Well that doesn't help someone coming to the thread to decide if they are going to see it tonight.

"It's not as good as one of the best superhero movies in years, but it is better than stabbing yourself in the face with a fork for two hours."

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #152 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:21 PM

Just one question? Is there an obligatory dancing scene in the movie?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #153 on: July 03, 2012, 12:05:52 PM

Damning with faintest praise.   awesome, for real

I want to kow how it holds up to spiderman 1 and 2.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 03, 2012, 03:46:19 PM

Just one question? Is there an obligatory dancing scene in the movie?
You are safe.  There is no dancing.

As to how it stacks up against Spiderman 1 or 2, I unfortunately dont think I could really say.  It has been way too long since I saw either of those to feel qualified to compare.  If I had to give it a generic rating, I would probably throw it in at around 3.5 / 5.  With Avengers / Ironman 1 rating a 5, and Spiderman 3 / any Ghost Rider movie rating a 1.5 for comparison.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 04, 2012, 02:41:50 AM

Honest to God, Spiderman 1 doesn't really age well.  I know it's not been that long, but the Goblin in particular looks really bad stacked up against the other Marvel offerings we've had.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #156 on: July 04, 2012, 09:04:55 AM

They could have gone with the original mask, I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZBhL5lpqg

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 04, 2012, 12:38:53 PM

Willem Dafoe already looks like a goblin, just add the ears and it would have been complete.

I'm debating on seeing this today but I feel bad that I never saw The Avengers.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 04, 2012, 12:40:31 PM

Willem Dafoe already looks like a goblin, just add the ears and it would have been complete.

I'm debating on seeing this today but I feel bad that I never saw The Avengers.

You should feel bad.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #159 on: July 04, 2012, 03:37:26 PM

Saw this with Molly today.

It turns out that if you go to a movie at 10:20 AM, you pay as if it was nighttime in the 90s ($5.75/ea).

It was pretty damn good, and quite better than SM3 or SM2, IMO.

This Spidey has to contend with varying building heights. His travel is a combo of web-swinging and parkour. Mechanical shooters give him a nice vulnerability.

The chick they picked to play Gwen Stacy is hot. At least two short skirt-long socks outfits.  awesome, for real

There are scenes where it seems obvious that they're shot for 3D, but only about two.

Really, aside from the liberties it takes with the ASM origin story, there's very little that is nerd rage worthy. It's a solid movie.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 05, 2012, 12:03:58 AM

Actually, regarding the Mechanical Web Shooters, I was somewhat dissapointed that they never did a "whoops, ran out of web fluid mid swing" moment anywhere in the movie. 

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 05, 2012, 05:06:48 AM

I'll see it when it's on FX, but Salon ran an article that pretty much sums up my opinions on most superhero movies: Enough with the Origins.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 05, 2012, 05:11:53 AM

Well, I did say it on this very thread, but I really don't believe they did an origin story again.

Such a fucking waste of time.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 05, 2012, 05:22:38 AM

Except that the Origin Story is almost obligatory every time you "re-boot" a franchise with a new actor in the lead role.  Otherwise, it wouldnt really be a re-boot.  And the re-boot is sort of needed when you are trying to make your new franchise movie stand out as distinct from the previous movies in the franchise, otherwise stupid people become confused as to why this new movie is not acting like a sequel / followup to the old franchise.   They sort of needed to do it that way to make it clear that this is not just "New Spider Man Movie X with Newguy replacing Toby as Spidey."

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #164 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:07 AM

They could have gone with the original mask, I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZBhL5lpqg

They should have. As much as I liked Spider-Man 1, that mask looks so much better than the plastic shit they put onscreen.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 05, 2012, 08:34:22 AM

origin story is fine only because it's a comic book movie. Literally the same as making a different line of spiderman stories, they each need a beginning.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:53 AM

Part of the reason that Avengers was so good was that we didn't have to wade through any origins stories.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:59 AM

We still had to get the team together, which ate up a chunk of the movie.  It still wasn't as drawn out as most origin stories.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: July 05, 2012, 10:36:53 AM

Penny Arcade Report had some nice things to say.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:16 PM

Except that the Origin Story is almost obligatory every time you "re-boot" a franchise with a new actor in the lead role.

Bond has managed to last 50 years and use 6 actors with only one origin story movie.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #170 on: July 05, 2012, 05:55:56 PM

"The Incredibles" had no origin story - more like a 'then and now'.

The reality is we don't really need to see characters get their powers, we just want to see them use them in impressive ways. The vast majority of origin stories eat up time in a superhero movie and slow it down.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #171 on: July 05, 2012, 09:02:27 PM

for lesser known dude like daredevil and ghost rider - i think it's a given we should learn how these guys came to be.
Spidey and batman, superman, doesn't need to be.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 05, 2012, 11:49:29 PM

Except that the Origin Story is almost obligatory every time you "re-boot" a franchise with a new actor in the lead role.

Bond has managed to last 50 years and use 6 actors with only one origin story movie.
Except that for all intents and purposes, all Bonds before the Craig bond were assumed to be the same Bond, regardless of the actor playing Bond.   It has always been "same Bond, new actor". Craig is really the first time they have actually re-booted the Bond franchise.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 06, 2012, 03:10:39 AM

Batman.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:06 AM

Batman.
Did you miss Batman Begins or something?  If that wasnt an Origin Story Movie, I really dont know what is.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spiderman The Reboot  
Jump to: