Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:43:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spiderman The Reboot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spiderman The Reboot  (Read 38244 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: July 06, 2012, 05:56:31 AM

Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney.  No reboot.

Sure, Batman Begins was, but it needed to be.  Spiderman didn't.

Your argument that 'It needed a reboot because of a different actor' is bollocks.  You're argument that 'Reboots need to be done when the stories fucked' doesn't really work in this case either because, bad as Spiderman 3 was, it was perfectly salvageable.  They just didn't want to.  They wanted to foist tired old crap off on us because, frankly, it's easier.

There are so many Superhero stories that haven't done an origin that are good that it just smacks of laziness.  I'm still annoyed they did one, but I haven't seen the movie yet and probably won't manage it, so who cares.

"SUPERMAN, LAST SURVIVOR OF KRYPTON" Job Done.
"BATMAN, CAPED AVENGER OF THE KNIGHT" Job Done.
"SPIDER MAN, NEUROTIC TEENAGE FUCKUP" Job Done.
"SEMEN PUDDING MAN, HERE; HAVE AN ORIGIN STORY" Fair enough.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: July 06, 2012, 07:05:12 AM

Except that for all intents and purposes, all Bonds before the Craig bond were assumed to be the same Bond, regardless of the actor playing Bond.   It has always been "same Bond, new actor". Craig is really the first time they have actually re-booted the Bond franchise.

Yes, that's the point. You can do a long series with different actors and not just recycle the same origin plot.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #177 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04:44 AM

for lesser known dude like daredevil and ghost rider - i think it's a given we should learn how these guys came to be.
Spidey and batman, superman, doesn't need to be.

Which is funny, because Daredevil and Ghost Rider both were not origin stories at all. They told the origin in flashbacks, but for the most part, they started with the characters as established in their roles. The Daredevil movie was decent (if you watch the director's cut) and Ghost Rider sucked monkey ass.

But neither's flaws had anything to do with not being an origin story. Really, most of the super-hero origins could be encapsulated with a 3 minute flashback and some exposition.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #178 on: July 06, 2012, 08:28:30 AM

You expound on this like it's something other than a collassal cash grab each summer.

Comic books have become the new easy fleece method for movie studios when the weather gets hot. They haven't done The Flash in a while. That's probably next.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #179 on: July 06, 2012, 09:03:52 AM

I want a Superman movie about the story of Zod, Ursa, and Non.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 06, 2012, 10:57:42 AM

Not sure that'd be as exciting as you'd think.

But I'd be up for it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: July 06, 2012, 10:43:20 PM

Origin stories are only "obligatory" if by "obligatory" you mean "tired, expected and pointless."

People know Spider-Man's origin. If you need to cover it cover it in 5 minutes. You can lean on the cultural knowledge that every living being possesses. Or is this movie for newborn babies?

You can establish that something is a reboot without spending half the film telling a tale everyone knows and that is largely irrelevant in the details.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: July 07, 2012, 03:08:35 AM

Origin stories are only "obligatory" if by "obligatory" you mean "tired, expected and pointless."

People know Spider-Man's origin. If you need to cover it cover it in 5 minutes. You can lean on the cultural knowledge that every living being possesses. Or is this movie for newborn babies?

You can establish that something is a reboot without spending half the film telling a tale everyone knows and that is largely irrelevant in the details.

My nephew was demanding Spiderman underwear just after he began speaking, so even then  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: July 07, 2012, 01:42:28 PM

The only thing that carried over between Spiderman films was the relationships with dunst and Franco, and they kind of sucked anyway.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 11, 2012, 11:56:53 PM

Just saw.  Best SM of them all.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: July 13, 2012, 10:14:43 AM

Been kind of avoiding putting my thoughts down on the movie as this thread is showing all the characteristic signs of a typical 'f13ers spout shite about something they haven't even seen yet' thread, but fuck it.

I enjoyed the first two Raimi films; I've avoided the third insofar as I've never seen it all the way through, but everything I've seen of it has made my blood boil and frankly after witnessing the death of Singer's X-men run at the hands of Ratner I can happily do without seeing yet another 3rd parter wholesale ruined by the interferance of outside influences.

The Amazing Spider-man is a totally different beast to Raimi's filmverse, though. Yes, it rehashes the Origin story and no, overall it's not significantly different to the previous iteration; on the other hand, it's several times more relatable, emotionally charged and Ben's death shockingly pointless, and Garfield's reaction as Peter so much more believable, especially when foreshadowed so perfectly. It's a crying shame for more reason than narrative as Martin Sheen is an incredible Uncle Ben - you feel denied as he dies; you simply want much more of him. It's a wonderful bit of casting in a movie with plenty of it - it shouldn't be left unsaid that Garfield is fucking astounding as both Parker and Spidey - his ability to convey the complexity of that dual life overshadows Maguire's performance like a fucking solar eclipse. And he's not even the best part of the whole set-up - that honour goes to Emma Stone who makes Gwen Stacy everything that MJ could never be. I'm hoping that they're going to deviate from the original comics because frankly, if they end up killing her off, I will seriously lose my shit.

My main level of criticism is that after The Avengers nailing Hulk, Lizard just doesn't have the same ability to suspend your disbelief, he's a big CG monster (although thank Christ, he can still talk, as he damn well should), lacking that final physical polish of the considerably bigger budgetted Avengers hero. It's a small, mealy mouthed complaint though.
Webb has managed to revitalise my interest in a hero that has over the last 10 years or so become so ludicrously ubiquitous (I can't even work out how many Spidey comics were running concurrently at one point) I actively started avoiding him and stories he was in.

Outside of that, avoid seeing it in 3D. It's a poor post-process job that breaks the standard fundamentals for 3D conversion - too many fast action cuts that are rendered nearly impossible to understand before the eye can adjust. Some of the fight scenes are wrecked by it.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: July 13, 2012, 01:18:53 PM

ASM was shot in 3D. It's not post-process. I thought it worked pretty well... still not the best execution, where they shove the depth of field backwards, but decent.

beer geek.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 13, 2012, 03:12:50 PM

If it was filmed in 3D then someone needs to give the editor a kick up the arse and Webb should have known better. Too many jump cuts. Prometheus was stunning in 3D; Amazing Spider-man was not. Incidentally I saw both at the same I-Max theatre.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: July 13, 2012, 06:51:49 PM

I don't have any problem with reprising an origin when it's part of an overall reconceptualization of a character. Let's face, it the Daniel Craig Bond was an origin story tied to a soft reboot of that franchise, for example. I'm curious about this ASM--been travelling, so I haven't seen it yet. I have an open mind.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:55 AM

If it was filmed in 3D then someone needs to give the editor a kick up the arse and Webb should have known better. Too many jump cuts. Prometheus was stunning in 3D; Amazing Spider-man was not. Incidentally I saw both at the same I-Max theatre.

I don't know how Webb should ahve known better... it's not like the guy has shot in 3D before. I must have missed the run of 500 Days of Summer in IMAX 3D.

Anyway, Prometheus was good indeed, and better than Spider-man, but the 3D never once bothered me in ASM. The only thing that came close was some of the silly stuff through the city towards the end, but that was more stylistic differences than any pure technological issue. And, indeed, it was filmed in/for 3D.

beer geek.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 14, 2012, 09:48:44 PM

I just saw it as well.  I think we saw different movies.  I was bored and irritated by the fact that the story was so weak and far from the original. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: July 14, 2012, 10:48:43 PM

Saw it.. I thought it was ok.  I really didn't like the look of the Lizard though.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: July 15, 2012, 12:12:18 PM

I just saw it as well.  I think we saw different movies.  I was bored and irritated by the fact that the story was so weak and far from the original. 

I went in not really caring about the "original." (note: original in heavy quotes... this is spidey/comic we're talkin about here)  If you do that, you'll see the movie is just better than Maguire's first 3...  stylistically, emotionally, and creatively (with use of props, fight-scenes, imagery/metaphor, etc.)  And let's be real... the cast?  Um yah, Martin Sheen, Emma Stone, Sally Field, Denis Leary, Rhys Ifans?  Perfect casting for the thematic differences they went for and yes Garfield did a better job than Maguire I think.  Though Maguire's SM was a bit more classically writ, so I give him a pass somewhat.  Garfield pulled off the modernesque Spidey perfectly... even via subtle body mannerisms. 
As for the 3D/Imax debate.  /shrug  This movie was made and directed for 3D and I thought it really helped frame a few scenes.  Not many 3D movies can say that.  Didnt see how it took away from anything really and I didnt feel like I wasted the xtra money.  Granted, I saw on a smaller format IMAX screen - not a 10-story museum IMAX.

As a movie on its own it's just better.

The lizard was indeed weak though, but the reality is he's a minor character unfortunately (would've liked to have seen more of him).  I felt they really needed a more visceral (and slower; he's just too quick) feel for him, as they did with Avengers Hulk (as some have said).  Kind of frames the whole movie though, as it's shot VERY clean even with this Spidey being a lot more gritty of a super.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:17 PM

Just saw it last night and I enjoyed it although I watched it in 2d .   Honestly the only parts I did not like was the obvious setup at the end and the weird head twitches that Andrew Garfield was doing. They were distracting...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spiderman The Reboot  
Jump to: