Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:23:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spiderman The Reboot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spiderman The Reboot  (Read 38246 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: January 11, 2010, 03:04:11 PM

Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the "Spider-Man" franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

"A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three 'Spider-Man' films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning," said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job," said Sam Raimi.

"We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade. This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else's hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable," said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio's chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. "Now everything begins anew, and that's got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can't wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012."

"'Spider-Man' will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."

The studio will have more news about Spider-Man in 2012 in the coming weeks as it prepares for production of the film.

Ok so first off, this is complete fail.  Spiderman 3 sucked for the most part, but that was mainly because shit was forced on Raimi.  I hate to see Raimi go, but do we need another reboot of Spiderman, and so soon?   I really don't want to see another damned origin story and another retelling of the Green Goblin.  I'm just glad Raimi left the project if they were going to force crap on him that didn't go along with his vision of the movie.  He's better off when he has control over all his stuff. 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:11 PM

It's too far away for me to care right now.  Especially without a director attached.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:05:50 PM

Jesus christ....

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:24:38 PM

Un-fucking-believable.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:06:41 PM

Marvel: doing to movies what they've done to comics.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:00 PM

You know, I didn't care so much about this until I just found that John Malkovich was cast to play Vulture in Spider-Man 4 before this  Heartbreak

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:23:23 PM

Honestly, thank God imo. I would rather have them start over and re-tell the spiderman franchise in a way that doesn't start Toby with no web shooters and Topher Grace playing Venom.
If the re-boot turns out terrible, (which chances are it will) then the franchise is no worse off, at least this is an opportunity to give some type of credibility to Marvel's Spider-Man movie franchise.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:33:36 PM

Good move.  I couldn't stand Toby as Spider Man and whats-her-name.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:17:05 PM

Great, now it'll be like Batman. Every other movie is the origin story over again and the lame sequel.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:49 PM

This sounds better suited for a TV series.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:45 PM

It seems that the rumor mill is going strong that since Raimi is out of Spiderman, his next movie is going to be Warcraft.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 11:02:59 PM

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:14:02 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 11:45:45 PM

The world didn't really need a 4th movie in the series.

Now bring on Sin Eater!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 11:48:43 PM

I agree, but it seems like he really likes Vulture. Heh. This is the 2nd time he tried. Ben Kingsley was going to be Vulture in the 3rd movie.. They got Raimi to rewrite it and he put Venom in.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 02:31:48 AM

I agree, but it seems like he really likes Vulture. Heh. This is the 2nd time he tried. Ben Kingsley was going to be Vulture in the 3rd movie.. They got Raimi to rewrite it and he put Venom in.

Huh?  Raimi didn't want Venom, that was Sony.  Raimi hates Venom. 

It looks like the same thing was going to happen again where too many people were trying to force things into the movie.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 02:35:18 AM

Retarded.

As to Venom, I'm sick of hearing it.  Raimi hates venom, Bendis hates venom, everyone hates venom.

And yet Venom just keeps fucking appearing.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 03:18:39 AM

Its an old bee of mine but if they were going to do Venom in the third movie they should have dropped Eddie Brock. They should have made Osborne into Venom. That would have completed the thread that went though three films and would have created the situation that the horribly obsessed Osborne was finally in a position to have his final fight with spiderman as an equal. In short it would have made it INTERESTING. But we had a situation where they were afraid the nerds would have freaked so we got a new character introduced that (a) was annoying (b) those unfamiliar with the comics could not have given two shits about and (c) even more annoyed those who were familiar with the comics.

Hell they changed doc Octavius in the second one and that was great.

I like the concept of Venom. I loved the way it was done in the comics. But they should have done it totally differently for the third movie.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:44:08 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 03:22:38 AM

Huh?  Raimi didn't want Venom, that was Sony.  Raimi hates Venom.  

It looks like the same thing was going to happen again where too many people were trying to force things into the movie.

You're right that Sony wanted it, but either way, he conceded and included Venom in the end.

I think the whole "Raimi" hating Venom shit is a bit overstated. He might have said he didn't want Venom in future movies in some random interview circa Spiderman-2, but he isn't anti-Venom Spidey fan #1 since he clearly wrote the Venom shit himself.. and not only that, he filmed a movie with said script. And to my knowledge, never apologized later. He must have had some passing interest, unless he just wanted to waste his time on purpose or something.

[edit] Actually, if you ask me, all Spidey villains after Gob and Ock are stupid -- as movie villains. Let me reiterate - as movie villains. They work on some level, but there's either not enough of the drama with the lot of them like you get with those two, or they're just corny as hell. There's something about Vulture, Shocker, and Mysterio that screams "episodic" to me. Sidenotes. While the Goblin is like his Lex Luthor. Ock works because he's almost another father figure.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:36:43 AM by stray »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:01 AM

Consider this. A LOT of people would gladly 'waste their time' for the kind of money he got for the movie.    Even more would compromise on a stance about a fictional character.

The whole reboot is so incredibly stupid I can't fathom why.  The original movie isn't even 10 years old yet, it will barely be so if this one comes out in 2012.   What next, a Harry Potter "reboot"?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 04:54:09 AM

OOooooo, I'd LOVE THAT !!!!

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 05:24:53 AM

The whole reboot is so incredibly stupid I can't fathom why.  The original movie isn't even 10 years old yet, it will barely be so if this one comes out in 2012.   What next, a Harry Potter "reboot"?

This. Most movie goers aren't like comic fans and aren't really expecting to go see Spiderman 4 to have it be total reboot. It worked with the Batman films partly because the last couple stunk so badly and partly because there had been a fair few years between them. This sounds more like a good premise for a TV show like someone said, plenty of scope for drama and also a large potential cast of characters. Fuck Smallville showed that superhero series can work and farnkly Spiderman the early years is far more ripe for this sort of thing than Superman was.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 06:01:02 AM

Nothing will beat the way that the "Howard the Duck" movie ruined my childhood memory of the comic.  NOTHING!. 

The public wants to be entertained for 90 minutes.  I'm not so sure they even care what causes the shiny explosions.  If the special effects are good, people will  go see it. 

To all of you in Hollywood, try this for inspiration

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:33 AM

Clearly they want to roll his character into Iron Man 3 right?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 09:32:34 AM

I'm not sure about Iron Man 3 but I'm sure they are looking to stick him into the Avengers movie.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:47 AM

Clearly they want to roll his character into Iron Man 3 right?

I'd be excited about a good Avengers movie that had a silver age Avengers lineup.  Spiderman must not pollute my childhood memories. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 09:42:44 AM

I'm sure they'll find some way to fit Wolverine into it.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 09:56:38 AM

Bad idea. They are treating the movie like a comic - we'll just reboot every few years so we don't have to think up interesting stuff for a new movie. Fuck that. Comic fans will buy it because we like our monthly dramas. Movie fans will tell Sony to go fuck itself.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 10:00:39 AM

Spider-Man is totally Sony, so won't can't show up in Avengers.

Sony will screw this up. Yes, Spider-Man 3 was... not great. I didn't hate it as much as some, but Raimi has been upfront with his feelings on the film, and has as much, apologized. Part of the issue was Sony sticking their fingers into the middle of things with the third film, though Raimi is not innocent in the issues. He was very much looking forward to doing a better film with this one, and I fear that Sony will sign a director that they can control more and find some horrible way to Twilight-It-Up or some stupid crap.

beer geek.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 11:31:08 AM

I would like to register my displeasure as a Spider-Man fan.

Great, now it'll be like Batman. Every other movie is the origin story over again and the lame sequel.

Except the Dark Knight was/is better than the previous series.  No, my inner nerd didn't agree with the revisions to the story in Spiderman, but I can't see this being better.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 12:03:36 PM

Spider-Man is totally Sony, so won't can't show up in Avengers.

Sony will screw this up. Yes, Spider-Man 3 was... not great. I didn't hate it as much as some, but Raimi has been upfront with his feelings on the film, and has as much, apologized. Part of the issue was Sony sticking their fingers into the middle of things with the third film, though Raimi is not innocent in the issues. He was very much looking forward to doing a better film with this one, and I fear that Sony will sign a director that they can control more and find some horrible way to Twilight-It-Up or some stupid crap.
They are going to make it the High School version of Spiderman (like the Ultimate Version).  You know already its going to be emo bullshit and suck.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 12:15:48 PM

Well there is precedent in the two hulk movies. I have still yet to see the norton one but by all accounts it's the better of the two, plus they only spent the first five minutes on backstory.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 12:19:25 PM

Well there is precedent in the two hulk movies. I have still yet to see the norton one but by all accounts it's the better of the two, plus they only spent the first five minutes on backstory.

TRying to decide which Hulk movie was better is like deciding which Look Who's Talking movie is better.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 12:27:40 PM

The second Hulk movie was better, but it was done in such a way that it neither completely ignored the Ang Lee version or acknowledged it. You could watch the 2nd without seeing the first, but the 2nd didn't go out of its way to make the 1st invalid. It was a mild reboot, but after the mediocre success of the first, no one was really that upset by a reboot.

This will be a major reboot of a hugely successful series, final installment not withstanding. The movie-going pubic will by and large not understand why it needs to be rebooted in the first place, not so soon on the heels of the successful series.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 12:43:26 PM

It should be omg dark, with spiderman webbing crooks mouths shut until they suffocate and then shoving a pumpkin bomb up osborne's ass.  why so serious? 

In all seriousness though I agree in that I can't see how this movie can be different enough from the first three and also be good.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 01:04:12 PM

What more could be said about this that we all don't already understand? If Spider-man was made in Japan or some other country (Maybe I'm horribly, horribly wrong, but for fuck's sake, I must be right somehow) -- a country with a culture of media producers that didn't give a shit about status quo and wanted to create a compelling story with a finite length instead of a franchise with gob-smackingly stupid restarts and making every effort to keep the money machine running -- they'd have something legendary that would stand the test of time and could be looked back fondly upon. Nowadays they're making movie decisions that if they don't keep this going tomorrow then *gasp* they might actually have to come up with something original instead of leveraging something people already know and that has been retread for nearly FIFTY YEARS.

Shit, look at Berserk. Kentaro Miura's 20 years in and he's still telling the same damn epic story that blows most other media out of the water. The sad thing is this guy may not finish it in his lifetime because of the long production cycle. But what we get will be worth it.

If whatever the third chapter of the Batman saga (Batman Begins -> Dark Knight -> Huh) doesn't feature some sort of ENDING that wraps-up the themes and story that was built up in the first two chapters, then we're going to have another Spider-Man. I know that's not going to happen. I know the Batman License needs to have something major produced for it every 2-3 years. But it's because Batman along with all the other comics is a franchise that must be continually redone or used to tell stories instead of something more normal and capable of being considered "a complete work."

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spiderman The Reboot  
Jump to: