Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 704677 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: November 18, 2009, 08:38:57 AM

I did a search, could not find the thread this was originally posted in, and i dont think it was a Panetside thread anyway.

Anyway, some new and old developments:

The official anouncement e-mail contents:
Help Us Design the Next PlanetSide Game

That's right, you heard what we said! We plan to expand the PlanetSide universe with another game and we need your help with the design. After all, who knows the game better than you, our customers, the people who actually play it! Don't worry about the original PlanetSide, it isn't going anywhere.

We want to hear your opinion and to do so we have put together a short survey. The information you provide will play a critical role into helping guide the development and direction of the next hit Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter. As a loyal player and experienced shooter fan, we value your input and look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Some details:
No BFR's in Planetside Next
It's interesting how many comments we get about BFR's. Well you can stop sending the "please don't put BFR's in PS Next" emails. They aren't in there.

Smeeds take on the original:
What Planetside Next means to me
We all have our vices. For some gamers RPG's really do it for them. One of the things I've always loved about SOE is that we built our company on the core idea of making games across many genres, and that includes the world's first MMOFPS, Planetside.

I love Planetside. I really do. It's an amazing game. you won't find any other FPS where you can have a 100 vs. 100 battle raging. And we pulled this off 5-6 years ago.

There's a great description of a Planetside battle here:

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/05/planetside-the-1/

I really couldn't sum it up any better than that. To me the idea of a massive firefight on that kind of scale is why I'm a gamer.

Planetside had a lot of really great things about it, but it also had some frustrating things. The whole Sanctuary concept is something that slowed things down too much. We also didn't get people back into the action quickly enough.

But the core of Planetside - massive battles with vehicles and infantry was something we nailed really well.

To me, Planetside Next means we get a chance to take the essence of everything that was fun in Planetside and make it a lot better. Massive battles on a scale no other FPS will touch. None of this 64 player stuff. REALLY MASSIVE. With much better organization, and a tight focus on making sure the action is always going on, with awesome graphics.

Damn I love Planetside. I really do.

Smed

Reply to some comments that also hint at things....
   With respect to Core Combat, I completely agree. It was the wrong direction. At that time we were dealing with a new game and we thought we had the direction right. In hindsight, we didn't at all.

BFR's are another story and I think more debateable. They were in our heads for a long time. Friggin Giant Robots :)

The 20/20 vision that comes with hindsight is often the best prism to plan for the next thing. Hopefully we get it more right this time, but I'm still pretty happy overall.

Smed is ether just regurgitating what Planetside players have said for years, or, he really does get some of the reasons why it was said for years. Needless to say, this is exciting to anyone who enjoyed plantside.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:55:03 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:45:23 AM

I hope they're ready for a bunch of 300 page threads about how much lattice sucked.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:47:27 AM

It's not really that hard to type "Planetside", is it?

-Rasix
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:49:43 AM

Maybe they're pre-emptive puns?

Pan-it side: After the reviews come out.

Plant side: after this iteration goes face down.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:55:14 AM

It's not really that hard to type "Planetside", is it?

My bad.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:14 AM

I'd totally play Plants vs. Zombies Side.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:39 AM

I hope they're ready for a bunch of 300 page threads about how much lattice sucked.

Meh. The lattice was basically a reaction to the rampent back-hacking that was becoming a problem IIRC. It also seemed to force the battles down a certain predictable path which was kinda shitty, but it also gave rise to gen camping which was almost a type of spec ops mission in itself, sabotage.

The LLU however.... yeah that sucked almost as much as BFRs and the disco caves.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:03:44 AM

No BFRs? Awww. Why not just make the entire game around BFRs? Then they could call it Planetside: Mechwarrior. :P

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:07:25 AM

Not to derail, but before lattices, front lines did not happen. There is another MMOFPS that also uses this type of a system, it is slightly different, but it is used to create the same effect. In short, I do not agree the lattice system was "sucky", but I also played during the time it did not exist. Will they even need them in Planetside 2, who knows.

There was a suggestion that somewhat changed it from a lattice system, to more of a logistics system, even though the lattice did transfer connected bases specials to other bases.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:54 AM

I wasn't a Planetside player myself, but a good chunk of people I know played it and universally despised the lattice thing - my understanding is that it is sort of the Trammel of PS.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:20 AM

I wasn't a Planetside player myself, but a good chunk of people I know played it and universally despised the lattice thing - my understanding is that it is sort of the Trammel of PS.

Not even. Its gave focus where there was NONE.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 10:54:09 AM

I think eliminating back-hacking and requiring territory control to only take place on contested fronts (or some similar mechanic to prevent lone hackers) would be a huge step forward. Keep everyone in the action and not have to worry about some ghost town outpost.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 12:19:34 PM

Well I started the game as an adv hacker cloaker and I can say that I was very happy about the lattice when it was put in. Before, I was atving over to back bases to attempt to either throw a random hack on to pull opposing forces away or to save a owned base from a back hack. The lattice provided a ton more focus and really resulted in some of the best battles in the game by providing one front - till the VS fucks on Johari figured out how to make bases go neutral.

That other bonus of base "abilities" being shared down the completed circuit was pretty nice as well in giving more importance to some bases (interlink OP!) but screwing the other ones out of any reason to go there (amp stations). I see your point in the lattice was shitty in that it was a tad too constrictive, a wider network might have worked with more connections... and god damn all of you making me reminisce.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 02:32:44 PM

I did a search, could not find the thread this was originally posted in, and i dont think it was a P(l) anetside thread anyway.
Link
Also contains the contents of their survey under the spoilertag.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 03:00:08 PM

That's cause they were too stupid to understand it (people attacking bases that couldn't be capped was always a Facepalm).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 03:07:58 PM

My impression was they didn't want to be locked into the 'zerg'. Former DAOCers mostly.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 03:48:48 PM

I hated how the "generals" or whatever they were called (BR5s?) got to where they were by catassing.  No idea on what a better system would look like.

I will at least give this one a shot.  When is release?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 04:16:15 PM

My impression was they didn't want to be locked into the 'zerg'. Former DAOCers mostly.
Even with the lattice system there were still multiple bases you could attack at any time.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 04:28:11 PM

Another part of the problem is that any given time, the experience for one side was directly related to the successes and failures of your side versus the other sides. It was possible to login and have things be extremely shitty and to login other times and things be like manna from heaven.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 04:37:06 PM

Even with the lattice system there were still multiple bases you could attack at any time.

And other techniques to open a front.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 12:20:46 PM

Another part of the problem is that any given time, the experience for one side was directly related to the successes and failures of your side versus the other sides. It was possible to login and have things be extremely shitty and to login other times and things be like manna from heaven.

Pretty much described any public FPS server.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:32 AM

Agreed, but in PlanetSide the effect was many orders of magnatude greater. In a 12 on 12 match, really good individual players can make up for half their team bieng crap. Not so much in 120 vs. 120 engagements ala PlanetSide.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 10:56:51 AM

Agreed, but in PlanetSide the effect was many orders of magnatude greater. In a 12 on 12 match, really good individual players can make up for half their team bieng crap. Not so much in 120 vs. 120 engagements ala PlanetSide.

Your right. It was the 12 that came in and did all the work while the other 240 were clashing.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 11:01:05 AM

Your right.

God just killed a kitten. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 11:54:47 AM

Your right. It was the 12 that came in and did all the work while the other 240 were clashing.

Sorta true... until you had 6 people trying to hack a terminal or CC without any skill points only to have a jackhammer or MCG come in and wipe out everyone.  awesome, for real

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 11:35:02 PM

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 11:55:01 PM

My old WoW guild would be freaking out in chat right now if they haven't already headploded.

I imagine quite a few people got started with MMO's on Planetside.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:01:01 AM by Sheepherder »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 02:58:54 AM

"YES!"

Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 04:33:10 AM

I loved trucking my squad around in Planetside. The game had a hundred flaws but at its peak it was incredibly fun to play. I am very much looking forward to this!
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 05:00:10 AM

Fuck Searhus man...  why so serious?

In regards to a PS2... I doubt it. Probably some sorta re-bending bullshit and the release of a "Hey we now have a team -thinking- about the next Planetside and doodling stuff for it. See you in 10 years." You can call me a tad skeptical.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 05:52:34 AM

What are the odds that the big red button is marked "Cancel Planetside"?  why so serious?

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 11:18:06 AM

Didn't they do a big run-up to something last time and it ended up being a giant let down due to new vehicle, failed fourth race insertion, and other clusterfucks?

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 11:32:44 AM

PS with Battletech skins done on WW2O scale.  This. Is. What. I.  Want.
Honestly though, 'twerent for SWG, PS would've done MUCH better than it did.  Everyone left to go be a Jedi, it's that simple.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 04:43:52 PM

I ran into this problem with World War II Online sometimes (insert WW2O jokes here, whatever, I liked it and I played it, and I go back from time to time).  You just have to find enjoyment in a variety of things.  As long as you have SOMETHING to defend, you're generally able to play, though I do believe its technically possible to have this not happen in planetside, I think most of the time there is something to do that can be fun.    In any event, in a game like this, the good SO MUCH outweighs the bad in my opinion.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 05:06:44 PM

The key, just like in WW2O, is having a strong and deeply involved Command Structure.  So, even if you're burnt out on everything else you can at least get involved on a strategic level.  Some guys are just "weapons" though and want nothing to do with command.  I used to roll with 1 dude that was the 2nd best infantryman in the entire game... to the point the Germans tried to recruit him heavily with all kinds of perks.  He wanted nothing of it and just enjoyed sitting there night after night sniping entire squads of Axis.

Both games (PS and WW2O) have plenty of ways to prevent the maps from being rolled, but that's at the command levels.  The regulars just lose morale and give up when they lose a bit of turf; which then it's up to command to counteract that.

PS had a bit more trouble pulling all of this off though because you could roll an entire map (to the point of making the game pointless) in one evening whereas WW2O it took weeks if not months; a few well-timed strat. bombing runs could shift the tide.  Time and time again people wish PS had WW2Os expansive play... then you'd have a serious MMO.

Really, the only reason I stopped playing was because I was tired of the European theatre, if not WWII itself.  And I had to stop playing PS because there were just no people for my high lvl commander to order around.   awesome, for real

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: