Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:26:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 704334 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 11:42:19 AM

The old saw Darniaq and I used to use was that it would've been amazing if they could've put PS action into SWG's world. I didn't play ww2o long, I was in Lum's taxi to victory club there, but the command structure sounds interesting. Though it'd be hard to do worse than PS's command structure.

I'm definitely there for a Planetside 2, and definitely not for anything else they announce :)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 08:07:47 AM

Link is blocked at work.

What's the release date?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:11 AM

Link is blocked at work.

What's the release date?
Timer doesn't finish countdown for another 13 days.  Ohhhhh, I see.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 08:55:37 AM

So I should plan on playing Wow for another 6 months.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 09:12:01 AM

So I should plan on playing Wow for another 6 months.

At least.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 09:13:43 AM

I think I just tied this thread to "the thrill is gone" thread.

If I can't play the game, I just play the one I can.  It wasn't always like this.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 10:56:04 AM

I think so too.  If you're an MMO fan like I am, you play WoW until you get bored and then either a) dance among the lesser titles out of boredom or b) quit playing MMO's until you feel like resubbing to WoW for another stint.  There's really nothing out there worth the energy as far as the MMO market goes.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 11:14:21 AM

I'm the same but sub in EQ2. Still can't get past the $60 to play WoW again, plus the monthly. I guess when you have a bajillion subs you don't worry about barrier to re-entry.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:36 AM

I think so too.  If you're an MMO fan like I am, you play WoW until you get bored and then either a) dance among the lesser titles out of boredom or b) quit playing MMO's until you feel like resubbing to WoW for another stint.  There's really nothing out there worth the energy as far as the MMO market goes.

I pretty much posted the same thing in that thread in my big post.  New MMOs have to not only be good enough in their own right, they also have to have some element that is going to make you want to go through all the new MMO growing pains (both the game, and personal), by which I mean both the game maturing, as well as re-leveling, getting involved with a new community, and so forth.  I've tried to join communities in every MMO I've tried, but in the end most of them end up disintigrating in a month or so, and then I'm left feeling no particular reason to stay and slog through the game.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 09:58:25 PM

Found this on the PS site from the SOE Community relations guy:
Also an FYI on this since I've seen it mentioned quite a bit, we're not going to be announcing anything PlanetSide Next related at that date. Sorry!

All your hopes are dashed!!! Muahahaha.
My vote is that they're moving to F2P, at which point I shall "resub."

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 11:01:04 PM

Dicks
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 06:44:48 AM

I was going to tell you guys that, but, i didn't want to believe it myself. That counter is only for the anniversary.

Personally I hope they announce it as a FTP title, or they bring back the fodder program, or more modern engine.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 06:46:36 AM

Make it free...make it free...........then I'll try for a final PS push with some friends and f13ers.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 07:06:27 AM

And I'll be parking the AMS right in front of the main door to whichever base we need.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 08:06:55 AM

F2P would be fun. Doing it at the beginning of summer is not fun.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:56 PM

If its F2P you can count me in on any F13 shenanigans.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:20 PM

I'd play it again for free.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 02:10:29 PM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=19187.0

If anyone wants to roll with ole Slay as Vanu, post other there por favor.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 02:21:08 PM

I'm a well established TR high rank, I will not join you :p (maybe I will)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:40 PM

I never tried planetside, was it good?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 02:26:11 PM

That's a rather subjective question.  I didn't care for it, but as you can tell, enough people here thought it was decent. 

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 02:27:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GJUfhyLCA

I didn't care for it.

I will stab you with bullets.

We really need to stop talking about Planetside, you are getting my hopes up.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:33:06 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 03:17:06 PM

Looks like the F2P vibe is most viral on the gaming sites.... now that most know it's not gonna be about PS2 or the server shutting down.
I figure they could look forward to at least doing as well as Global Agenda if they went F2P, especially if they're smart enough to parlay that into PS2.

If it IS indeed F2P I really hope they use the microtrans to push more strategic level play.  i.e. You get awarded RMT for rolling the map, etc.  To me, that'd be an ingenious way to give weight to the game - especially since campaigns typically dont last very long.  I remember long ago the game was practically nothing but organized xp zergs between friendly factions. (granted, the map was much smaller then)

Heh, I remember when my little brother discovered PS long after I'd quit and the server went quiet.  Damned game practically ruined his life.  He got caught up with some hardcore military types evidently... they took no prisoners.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 04:45:38 PM

It had more potential to be good than anything.  I played it with an f13 crew for a bit and found it to be fun in short bursts, though I never really understood what the hell I was doing.  

I rather enjoyed most pure FPS games a lot more (BF 1942 is still my fav).  Persistence didn't seem to do much for the game in my limited contact with it. 

I actually preferred WWIIOL to this title. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:47:10 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 05:15:44 PM

I wonder what PS would be like if the zones werent "sharded" by gates (to prevent gatecamping) and if the world itself was seamless and much much larger.  Also, it might be nice to have only 2 factions.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 07:39:34 PM

Also, it might be nice to have only 2 factions.

No god damn you... NO!

And I am with Blood on this, TR was it; however...

And yes Planetside was that good, at least from late April till July. Quite possibly the best summer I ever had in gaming, considering I was unemployed and could literally waste 16hour days playing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 07, 2010, 06:46:27 AM

One of the very best parts of PS was when you were having some gaint slugfest between two factions and suddenly the third faction comes rolling up out of nowhere and throws in ye olde monkey wrench. Hell, that was the best part of our old LAN deathmatch games, informal teams would form and you'd always get a rogue faction that would break up the monotony of the duality. How many times have you been on a 2-team game server where one team is just dominating, people jump to that team, etc? Three teams mitigates that and I can't believe more games haven't gone to the three-team format.

I was employed when PS came out, but single with tons of gaming time and weed. The Station Pass with SWG (shush), PS and EQ2 was a good deal back then.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:55 AM

Plus, it always gives the loser an excuse,

"Man, we were tearing it up till the damn Smurfs showed up!" was a common thing you would hear after getting your ass kicked off a continent. Noone likes to just lose normally, it's better to lose to uncontrollable shit like that :)

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 08, 2010, 07:54:33 AM

I have absolutely no idea what makes people think this.

In an RvR game 2 is always always always the wrong number of teams.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 08, 2010, 09:47:31 AM

While I'm not sure giving people an excuse when they lose is a good thing, at all, I agree that in any large-scale pvp game, having only two factions is insane.  There should always be at least three armies on the field.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 08, 2010, 11:34:42 AM

WW2O has always been 2 factions, always will be.  It works fine and wouldnt work any other way.
The problem with 3 factions is it puts the game into a bit of a "diceroll."  Similar to playing risk with an odd number of people, the game devolves into guesswork on whether or not a lesser faction interferes and/or diplomacy.

And in PS's case, there just arent enough people to even fill out 3 factions (the game in its current state is nothing more than squad-level play).   Let alone on a bigger gamespace... which is what PS has always needed.  And having more than 2 factions muddies the waters when it comes to actually "winning" the map.  Who/how does actually win?  You can never truly win because there's always the 3rd wheel there.

I prefer one giant RvR game of chess, with guns.  Chess only has 2 players.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 08, 2010, 11:46:29 AM

Sport VS. Simulation.

WW2OL has a logistics and front line system, Plantside is more of a sport actions game.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 08, 2010, 11:49:30 AM

WW2O has always been 2 factions, always will be.  It works fine and wouldnt work any other way.
The problem with 3 factions is it puts the game into a bit of a "diceroll."  Similar to playing risk with an odd number of people, the game devolves into guesswork on whether or not a lesser faction interferes and/or diplomacy.

And in PS's case, there just arent enough people to even fill out 3 factions (the game in its current state is nothing more than squad-level play).   Let alone on a bigger gamespace... which is what PS has always needed.  And having more than 2 factions muddies the waters when it comes to actually "winning" the map.  Who/how does actually win?  You can never truly win because there's always the 3rd wheel there.

I prefer one giant RvR game of chess, with guns.  Chess only has 2 players.

WW2O, while one of my favorite MMOs, is probably a bad example to use because it is SO vastly different than any other MMO I've played, its hard to apply what works there to any other MMO.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 08, 2010, 07:52:57 PM

I don't know, maybe because every significantly popular competitive sport currently played is based around two teams?

Football, baseball, chess, rugby, soccer, whatever. Once you add more than two groups, any concept of 'fair play' gets shot to hell and you have too much variance. It becomes more about luck than 'may the best man win'.

The solution to having one side getting beat in an rvr mmo is to actually let the side get beat. Let them get wiped out, then reset the world. What's the point of having the sides fight if nobody can win?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 08, 2010, 08:54:29 PM

I don't know, maybe because every significantly popular competitive sport currently played is based around two teams?

Well, I think you've hit upon the important point.   What do you want more a "competitive sport" type game, or a huge battlefield simulator.  One tends to offer even matches, more fair games, and well, as you said, competition.  The other tends to offer gameplay that can be frustrating if it goes badly for you, but has the potential for insanely epic moments and stories that you literally end up telling for years.  "Remember that time we were dug into our last bunker, and X was attacking us, but then we heard the roar of Y's bombers coming, ducked our heads, only to realize they were carpet bombing our enemy!  We seized the moment, rushed from our positions and routed the enemy!"  Of course, you "pay" for those moments when you get similar moments on the other side of the equation.

Pretty much everyone has read the epic battle story from Planetside thats been circulating forever now.  I think it was even linked in this thread.  I think a "competitive sport" balanced game would not offer those kind of moments, and its those kind of moments that are going to make me want to play a game like this. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: