Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:35:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside - 45 day reactivation + more 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside - 45 day reactivation + more  (Read 35978 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 01:40:08 PM

Well, I have offered up an outfit to anyone that wants to play Vanu on Gemini :P

TR for life baby.

Not sure if I will jump on, but I (was) a high ranking officer of one of the oldest PS outfits on Emerald.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:06 PM

I think I'm on Emerald, too. With a (K), beyotchz.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 03:45:06 PM

I think I'm on Emerald, too. With a (K), beyotchz.

Yeah, I'm a Konried Original myself ;)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 07:39:45 PM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:13 PM

GAH! Stop all this chatter. I only have one fail-safe left from reinstalling and that is my long lost forgotten sealed account info.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 08:18:48 PM

One search on gmail and a password recovery feature later and I'm in business. 20m left on the install but I'm sure I'll be really disappointed.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 10:02:04 PM

We had our outfit raid tonight. 5 magriders and a skyguard for our armor division. Not too shabby. Infantry around 15 , and air support 10-15 as well. Took over Searhus after a good battle with the NC, turned that bitch purple by the end because they withdrew to Amerish.  Check out

www.gotr.net - if you are from f13 you are in and rollin'....tell em ole Slay sent ya :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 04:12:17 AM

I had to set planetside.exe to Win95 compatibility and check disable visual themes, desktop composition, and display scaling on high DPI settings on Vista x_64.

It took me about 2 hours to get it working on Vista as well, but the above should work for you.

The above did work for me. Now to actually get some time and play a little bit.

This worked for me too, but I had to run as admin for it to update itself.

Witty banter not included.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 07:39:49 AM

Ah, forgot about this last night. Trying to squeeze in AoC before my free month is up.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 08:55:27 AM

The only thing I touch vanu with are my bullets. NC for life.

Game is pretty fun though I remember why I spec'd all engineering and hacking. I'm horrible at the fighting aspect. Unfortunately, that's where all the kills are. I remember now the things I loathed about the game - namely that stand around a corner watching in 3rd person bullshit.

I logged in specc'd for the new engineering stuff, which I remembered why I hated it - you can't deploy anything in the enemy sphere of influence. Screw that. I'm also only something like 14 whatevers so I'm really short on talent points for the cool stuff. The grind's pretty big but it's a good waste of a few hours.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:57:50 AM by bhodi »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 09:08:48 AM

Advanced engineers can now, I think. Its another cert or something though.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 09:12:50 AM

Yeah, it's not exactly a newbie-friendly game  awesome, for real
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #47 on: July 24, 2009, 03:06:19 PM

Yeah and now I remember the MOST frustrating part of this game, the fact it takes you a week to repsec your character. Why? There's STILL no good reason except a cockpunch.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 03:26:39 PM

But now there are 40 cert points, so you don't have to recert if you've been playing since 2003.

It's like a combo cock punch/testicle squeeze.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 05:25:03 PM

Yep, fuck this game. Can't kill a single guy when I'm in an anti-personnel max. 7/22 k/d.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 06:01:15 PM

All the little things they are doing are band-aids for pinpricks on gaping bullet wounds.

I'd love to get back into it but with a new game, a fresh server, and when Dawn of Discovery releases the grip on my testicles.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:26 PM

The launcher is shiite. Takes much longer to patch any SOE game through the launcher. How that makes sense, I don't know.

I have never played WoW.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 03:01:18 PM

I fired this back up for about a week and I've had my fill again. It's a really fun week though.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 12:44:51 PM

This e-mail went out today.

CALL TO ARMS! WE NEED YOUR HELP!
That's right, you heard what we said! We plan to expand the PlanetSideŽ universe with another game and we need your help with the design. After all, who knows the game better than you, our customers, the people who actually play it! Don't worry about the original PlanetSide, it isn't going anywhere.

We want to hear your opinion and to do so we have put together a short survey. The information you provide will play a critical role into helping guide the development and direction of the next hit Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter. As a loyal player and experienced shooter fan, we value your input and look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Here is the survey:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:27:37 PM by Severian »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 26, 2009, 01:07:05 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #55 on: September 26, 2009, 01:39:42 PM

free to play Planetside with microtransactions, hooray?

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 02:34:51 PM

I am curious whether this revisit to PlanetSide would be occurring if FreeRealms hadn't happened, and what lessons they are learning from that? Or perhaps it's just part of the industry trend in general.

PlanetSide's type of not-really-MMO gameplay does seem like a better fit for F2P / Station Pass / lifetime sub. Or even Guild Wars no sub box expansions, except it doesn't have the same potential for content addition. F2P would also generate a lot of useful cannon fodder. (I'm sure this has already been discussed here ad nauseam.)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 26, 2009, 06:27:01 PM

F2P, or fodder side was a hit when they did it.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 26, 2009, 07:30:38 PM

free to play Planetside with microtransactions, hooray?

If they don't cock it up, and microtransactions = proper support, then make it the fuck happen.

PS.  NC 4 LIFE
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:34:14 PM by JWIV »
Skullface
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 08:15:48 PM

I'm thoroughly excited. I'd be cool with a microtransaction BF Heroes sort of pay system.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 26, 2009, 08:21:31 PM

Planetside and subsequent "massive" action / shooter types have proven to me that an open world isn't the way to go. I'll take focused "maps" ( a la MAG) whose victory / defeat affects a global stateover an open world that isn't fully designed for focused combat and has lots of unnecessary space.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #61 on: September 26, 2009, 08:28:48 PM

Planetside and subsequent "massive" action / shooter types have proven to me that an open world isn't the way to go. I'll take focused "maps" ( a la MAG) whose victory / defeat affects a global stateover an open world that isn't fully designed for focused combat and has lots of unnecessary space.

what? I have the best memories of gaming from PS, mainly due to the open world format (before PS jumped the shark with AFTERSHOCK). Forseral, Ishundar, Cyssor... all were an absolute blast with the air support, tank columns, air drops... you just don't get that in a traditional sandbox. BF and BF2, even the later addtions of the Unreal series. came close to bottling that lightning, but it just lacked in a certain element - huge spaces.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 27, 2009, 06:11:16 AM

Yes, but the effort to achieve that awesomeness was beyond what most want to invest. And the people who DO want to invest that shouldn't be held back from the casuals who just want to wait on line for the plane so they have 5 minutes of fun before quitting.

I loved PS when it was at its best, but it was too often not, and it was the players, not the game. Since you can't solve the players, I'm with Lorekeep on this.

Smaller more targeted maps. Want to MMO-ize it? Stitch them together with zone ownership some social public space where the 5% who care can make themselves all pretty or do quests or something (ie, Huxley done right). Matches don't need to be 2,500 to be "massive". You can get that for 10% of that size just fine. Even with vehicles.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 27, 2009, 06:32:07 AM

Yes, but the effort to achieve that awesomeness was beyond what most want to invest. And the people who DO want to invest that shouldn't be held back from the casuals who just want to wait on line for the plane so they have 5 minutes of fun before quitting.

I loved PS when it was at its best, but it was too often not, and it was the players, not the game. Since you can't solve the players, I'm with Lorekeep on this.

Smaller more targeted maps. Want to MMO-ize it? Stitch them together with zone ownership some social public space where the 5% who care can make themselves all pretty or do quests or something (ie, Huxley done right). Matches don't need to be 2,500 to be "massive". You can get that for 10% of that size just fine. Even with vehicles.

I think you're looking for Global Agenda.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 27, 2009, 07:58:13 AM

Yep, been watching it. Not really sure they'll pull it off either. I'm more interested in APB for this style of thing.
Skullface
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 27, 2009, 09:07:53 AM

NDA rules here being what they are, I can't comment on GA, but there's no reason Planetside can't do both. I know there is a vitriolic hatred from some guys here for instanced combat, but there is no reason you can't have both massive open world and small scale "Spec-Ops" COD/Halo/CSS maps. There is a place for both in online gaming.

That being said, there's no reason you can't do gorgeous massive open world battles (UT3 proved that, other failings aside.) One issue is doing vehicles right - easy to try, tough to master, quick, not game-breaking, but strong enough to matter. The major sticking point, though, is ensuring players can get to the battle quickly. Ideally, the BF2/BF2142 idea of squad leaders being a mobile spawn point is the best method. It works, it avoids babysitting deployables, and adds an added layer of strategy.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 27, 2009, 09:49:42 AM

I don't think there's any real hate for open world FPS vs instanced. More like a wait-and-see attitude. PS got a lot right, and I'm still convinced that without that retarded false-equivalency of a subscription fee (and the launch day XP nerf), the game would have attracted more and maybe kept people longer.

I'm still surprised they're even talking a sequel. But they do have an IP they can leverage on a console and own it entirely.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 27, 2009, 10:27:38 AM

The sub fee, especially bumping it to $15 at the same time as dropping the fodder program at the same time, was a master stroke of idiocy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #68 on: September 27, 2009, 12:58:39 PM

Fodder program, I think it was 2 years ago, was a blast. Some of the stuff that happened in Planetside was superfun, and it never happened again in any MMO yet. Maybe WW2 online, but I really can't bring myself to try it.

Skullface
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 27, 2009, 01:11:34 PM

I don't think there's any real hate for open world FPS vs instanced.

I was referring more to the tendency of some guys here to foam at the mouth when instanced diku PVP is mentioned.  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside - 45 day reactivation + more  
Jump to: