Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012  (Read 27485 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: October 04, 2009, 02:11:37 PM

'2012' Trailer HD

2012 - Exclusive Scene, (it's a full 5 minutes of insane shit, so spoilers, duh)

Searched and didn't find a thread, this movie looks hilariously awesome.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:04 PM

This movie will have no substance... However, I want to see it cuz the destruction so far looks awesome.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:29:42 PM

Yep, this is the BIG EXPLOSIONS movie of next summer.  It will be awesome just for that.   The Aircraft Carrier scene is like they set out with one intention; outdoing ID4 as best White House destruction scene.

The question is, will the acting and writing be at least to the tolerable level.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:39:53 PM

The trailer is awesome. When it came out, I watched the wave come over the mountains, watched it again, watched it again. Best tsunami special effect ever.

This will also bring the "2012 is the end" believers out of the woodwork. I used to know a girl who had absolute faith that 2012 would be the end of the world, when the aliens would come and people's consciousness would ascend, etc. When I pointed out how ridiculous this belief was and that it isn't actually the end of the Mayan calendar (which is the background to all the twisted versions of the 2012 beliefs), people nearby sprang to her defence.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:41:33 PM

Yep, this is the BIG EXPLOSIONS movie of next summer.  It will be awesome just for that.   The Aircraft Carrier scene is like they set out with one intention; outdoing ID4 as best White House destruction scene.

The question is, will the acting and writing be at least to the tolerable level.
You mean of this November. And I can't wait.

Also, when 2012 isn't the end of the world, it'll be our best chance to destroy religion. So all the crazies better hope the shit hits the fan.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:45:13 PM

Also, when 2012 isn't the end of the world, it'll be our best chance to destroy religion. So all the crazies better hope the shit hits the fan.

Eh?  Damn Fundamentalist Mayans and their massive special interest groups...?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:58 PM

I don't have any faith in Roland Emmerich to deliver a good movie.  His directorial credits for the last 10 years:

10,000 BC
The Day After Tomorrow
The Patriot
Godzilla (1998)

Every good scene in 2012 was likely included in the trailers.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:28:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0

If it was actually like THAT trailer it might actually worth watching  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:31:20 PM

Eh?  Damn Fundamentalist Mayans and their massive special interest groups...?
It doesn't matter which religion it is. Even if it's a mostly dead one.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:52:03 PM

Yep, this is the BIG EXPLOSIONS movie of next summer.  It will be awesome just for that.   The Aircraft Carrier scene is like they set out with one intention; outdoing ID4 as best White House destruction scene.

You mean of this November. And I can't wait.

Hate to deliver the bad news, but the last gazillion or so millennial scares stretching back into the early medieval era haven't done much damage to religion in general. In fact, a lot of end-of-the-world folks don't even take much of a hit to their own congregation or following.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:45:06 PM

Eh?  Damn Fundamentalist Mayans and their massive special interest groups...?

Don't need Mayans for this anymore. It's been adopted by New Age types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

The people I knew who were into this stuff, had grown up with New Age parents and got into the Techno/Trance rave scenes of the early 1990s, fell out with the drug culture and went in search of natural highs. They always had the latest copy of Nexus.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:49:45 PM by Tale »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 01:56:05 AM

The Jehovah's Witnesses are still around, and they were founded by a kook who pronounced the end of the world in his lifetime.. disappointment ensued (lol, "disappointment"), but they just adjusted the date... and then again and again and again. They keep on pulling that shit, and the religion simply does not die. You can not kill stupid.

Or maybe! Just maybe the end of the world already happened, and we are all actually living in hell.. Simply for the fact that you can't kill stupid here.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:14:24 AM

I prefer the Shadowrun version of 2012.

It's a tabletop RPG and a few shitty computer/video games that has 2012 as the date when magic "cycles" back into the world and things like Dragons awaken.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:53:07 AM

Seriously, there isn't a question about it at all. You know the writing will suck on a scale as massive as the destruction. Three words: Day After Tomorrow.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 02:24:21 PM

Seriously, there isn't a question about it at all. You know the writing will suck on a scale as massive as the destruction. Three words: Day After Tomorrow.

Outrun the cold!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 02:25:12 PM

Plot?Huh?

(Spoilered as this is really inspired guesswork. Add your own)

Hic sunt dracones.
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 02:55:58 PM

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 04:40:45 PM

But are there snakes on that plane?

(and I only say this because I really can't think of anything that'd make this movie watchable with the serious tone they seem to be taking)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 04:55:24 PM

Next month, eh?  I thought it was a summer blockbuster, my mistake.

I wasn't implying it would be good.  Just a question of would it be Volcano bad or Day After Tomorrow bad.

lol he fell through a skylight.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 07:22:30 PM

This movie shows the only way that California is likely to solve it's budget issues. Also, a tidal wave cresting several hundred feet above the Himalayas is entirely plausible. Maybe I'm just being overly picky about my end of the world movies, but they could have put more effort into coming up with a better way of destroying Tibet, maybe something involving plate tectonics.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 07:30:15 PM

If that gay cowboy could outrun the cold, then by god we can have waves over Everest!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ubvman
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 02:22:53 AM

So how does the world die this time?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:52:47 AM

I bet at the end, Jesus pops out and saves everybody.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 01:57:37 PM

The ending of the movie is pretty much telegraphed in the trailer, along with the major plotline.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 06:22:50 AM

Over and out.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 07:25:59 AM

bang zoom to the moon baby! right to the moon!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:47 PM

They always had the latest copy of Nexus.

This was always a great read, if not necessarily for the same reasons that the authors wrote the articles.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 01:30:05 PM

I prefer the Shadowrun version of 2012.

It's a tabletop RPG and a few shitty computer/video games that has 2012 as the date when magic "cycles" back into the world and things like Dragons awaken.

We can only wish.  That would be fucking spectacular.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 03:43:57 PM

Why the hell is everyone spoiler'ing guesses based on trailers from a movie not out yet?!

Don't read down!! OMG! The Mayans gonna come git ya!!

John Cusack the conspiracy nut is driving with part of his family, talking about 2012/end of the world, and the government's plan to save people on giant arks. He doesn't say arks nor rockets, but I am going with arks because they're giant near-future ships shown floating on whatever rolled over the continentn. There's a clip of them is in the 5 minute trailer. So yea, it's him getting his current and ex- family together, flying through carnage with a guy who can't fly but happens to own a Cessna and can fly it with all the skill of Tom Cruise, geting to the sooper-sekret bunker/dock/port/whatever where they somehow sneak/beg/graft their way onto it. To be saved with the rest of the huddled masses.

This is an IMAX-required cheesefest where you turn your brain off. If I spoiled anything for anyone, you gotta go get some air.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 04:23:16 PM

I got as far as the Mayans being the 'world's oldest civilisation' and turned it off.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 07:53:42 PM

I got as far as the Mayans being the 'world's oldest civilisation' and turned it off.
As interesting as its having an expiration date, the Mayan calender is also interesting for having a start date. If one were to take it seriously, and assume that the Mayan civiliation existed for that start date... then it would be the world's oldest civilization. Unfortunately for pseudoscience, not even the Mayans themselves thought that was remotely plausible.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 08:08:11 PM

This is going to be the film of the year.
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:45 AM

flying through carnage with a guy who can't fly but happens to own a Cessna and can fly it with all the skill of Tom Cruisee air.
I could be mistaken, but in the trailer John Cusack says he's chartered a plane... but I think the guys in the front seat when its flying are John and his ex-wife's new husband.  i.e. - neither of them know how to fly, which would explain why they don't just fly up and get the hell out.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 04:54:01 PM

The Oscar's should really create a category for "Best Destruction of The White House Scene".  I just love seeing directors go over the top in trying to one up each other.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:16 PM

The Oscar's should really create a category for "Best Destruction of The White House Scene".  I just love seeing directors Roland Emmerich go over the top in trying to one up each other himself.

FIFY.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 2012  
Jump to: