Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:22:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012  (Read 27679 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 01:00:24 AM

So does Jeff Goldblum.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 02:32:20 AM

Yeh any film with Randy Quaid and Bill Pullman has got to be somewhat tongue in cheek.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #72 on: November 25, 2009, 03:44:43 AM

but ID4 took itself COMPLETELY SERIOUSLY.

I actually think it is the exact opposite.  Just look at the cast: Harvey Feinstein, Brent Spiner, Harry Connick Jr., Judd Hirsh, Goldbloom, Pullman, Fox, Smith.   The filmmakers were fucking with people the whole time with a smirk on their faces. I mean, the "unlikely hero" of the story is Eddie Johnson from National Lampoon's Vacation. The whole thing is a put on.

I've read somewhere before that the actors all thought it was a spoof as well, and had fun with it.  They were surprised that what came out in the theaters wasn't a comedy after all.   So yes, the Actors hammed it up but the director, apparently, took it seriously.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 05:00:05 AM

Emmerich is proof that our fascination with Ed Wood is never ceasing.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 26, 2009, 09:40:11 AM

I've read somewhere before that the actors all thought it was a spoof as well, and had fun with it.  They were surprised that what came out in the theaters wasn't a comedy after all.   So yes, the Actors hammed it up but the director, apparently, took it seriously.

Wuh? It was a comedy. It just wasnt Naked Gun style in-your-face dumbfunny.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #75 on: January 20, 2010, 09:05:51 PM

I just watched this on DVD. It was horrible. It was an action/disaster movie where nothinghappened for the first 45 minutes. The destruction is caused by mutated(?!?) neutrinos that microwave the Earth's core... turning it to molten rock!!!!!!. The special effects aren't anywhere near good enough to make the movie worth watching, and there isn't a single character in the movie worth giving a shit about.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 08:26:50 PM

turning it to molten rock!!!!!!.

I can't fucking imagine what would happen if the Earth's core turned to molten rock.  Oh, wait.  It already fucking is, isn't it?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 24, 2010, 06:07:49 AM

Still haven't seen it, but yea, that's a nice facepalm to learn about. And what the hell's a mutated neutrino? I could get passed hacking alien computers and insta-freeze superstorms, but this sounds like Emmerich has either completely gone around the bend, or is just openly mocking his audience.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #78 on: January 24, 2010, 11:44:58 AM

but this sounds like Emmerich ... or is just openly mocking his audience.

Yeah, this.

But that's what happens when you write CGI scenes of destruction, then build characters and stories AROUND those shots.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 07:11:15 AM

turning it to molten rock!!!!!!.

I can't fucking imagine what would happen if the Earth's core turned to molten rock.  Oh, wait.  It already fucking is, isn't it?

Earth is believed to have a solid ferrous (iron) core, surrounded by a moving molten core. You'd know this if you watched educational films like "The Core".

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 07:19:28 AM

Jeezus, worst movie ever. There wasn't even good eye candy. I didn't mind Delroy Lindo's character, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 01:02:22 PM

Earth is believed to have a solid ferrous (iron) core, surrounded by a moving molten core. You'd know this if you watched educational films like "The Core".

You complete me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #82 on: February 01, 2010, 06:05:48 AM

Jeezus, worst movie ever. There wasn't even good eye candy. I didn't mind Delroy Lindo's character, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.

"The Core" had a great cast. Insanely stupid, but a good cast.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #83 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:21 AM

Watched parts of 2012 this weekend. I'd Tivoed it, the wife started playing it while I was in the shower. I missed probably about 1 hour of the film, watched it to the end, and decided there was nothing in that missed hour that could possibly make what I'd just seen any less of a skullfucking travesty. This movie literally cockslaps you with insipidness.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #84 on: July 29, 2010, 08:44:58 AM

And yet, the film made an unholy amount of cash outside of the States. I couldn't believe it when I looked at the numbers it grossed.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 30, 2010, 08:35:26 PM

So there is money to be made making a film about the destruction of the USA?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #86 on: July 30, 2010, 09:32:45 PM

That was the first joke that jumped into my head as well, but then I remembered that the movie shows a lot of cities outside the US getting destroyed as well.  So maybe everybody in the world just likes the idea of their neighbors dieing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 31, 2010, 10:47:39 PM

I actually found the first hour enjoyable until it went posideon adventure.  Then it went to snoresville.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 2012  
Jump to: