Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes  (Read 104416 times)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 06:10:34 AM

This is where going to Aion from Warhammer is such a relief graphically and performance wise.  I mean I have a decent system and its OC'd to 3.8Ghz but in WHO Id drop to horrible FPS with the right amount of people around.  It also wasnt just graphical lag though, their own server would get behind and lag up PvP combat which if you were melee you were royally screwed cause everything would get out of sync. 
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 09:08:17 AM

Warhammer looks pretty crappy anyway.

I especially like the fact that they invent classes dependant on chained combinations (swordmaster in this case) in a game whose UI lag makes attempting to do so a right pain. Even when solo and beating on one mob it feels mushy and imprecise. In PvP it's just random. Mob position doesn't seem to be much better, on agro they glide over the terrain to where the server has decided they really are.

What did they do with all the money they spent..

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 09:12:58 AM

Made bad wall art.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 10:12:13 AM

What did they do with all the money they spent..

Sounds like they made the money hats first :)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:01 PM

If they increased leveling speed by 50 to 60% I would consider giving it another go. I am just so tired of having to slog through crappy PVE games to get to the PVP.

It's much faster than that. I've been playing again for the past three months after the free time if you come back. You can go to LoTD at level 25 and it boosts you up to level 36 - you can solo any non elite in LoTD including 40's. The big thing though is the skeleton PQ right outside the warcamps. If you don't follow the boss and kill him the PQ resets in about 2 minutes. Leveling groups are usually there and you can go from level 25 to 38 in about 6 or 7 hours. Once you hit 38 you can just go solo stuff to 40 (another afternoon) while you queue for scenarios or go do RvR. In the last three months I've leveled 4 guys up to forty.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 08:43:21 AM

But the time to notice that the game can't actually handle it's own endgame would have been during engine selection.

Fixed.

Performance in a MMO has more to do with the game layer, that purely the engine. The engine they have used (Gamebryo) is quite a capable engine. Its all in how you use it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 10:31:42 AM

But the time to notice that the game can't actually handle it's own endgame would have been during engine selection.

Fixed.

Performance in a MMO has more to do with the game layer, that purely the engine. The engine they have used (Gamebryo) is quite a capable engine. Its all in how you use it.

excellent point

Edit: also this:  http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/warhammeronline.com

Check out the 6 month trailing average  Also, "3 month change   -28%"
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:51:07 AM by Soln »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 12:12:02 PM

It's not just the game layer that gets messed up though.  Most engines have to be modified to work well in a seamless MMO environment and thus most dev teams try to tweak the hell out of it.  Just because an engine proves to be capable for some games doesn't mean its the right choice for an MMO.

I learned first hand with Fury that you can take an amazing engine (UE3) and completely fubar it up to the point that you can't even take optimizations that the original engine developers have made because of the heavy modifications made to it.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 11:32:24 PM

Fixed.

excellent point

Edit: also this:  http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/warhammeronline.com

Check out the 6 month trailing average  Also, "3 month change   -28%"

WAR has fallen below critical mass, the end should come relatively soon. Speaking of which, Garthilk announced he's leaving Warhammer Alliance.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43:46 AM

Garthilk announced he's leaving Warhammer Alliance.

LOL someone page Dr.Schild! That's unpossible 
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 11:53:38 AM

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #46 on: October 12, 2009, 11:59:02 AM

It fills me with despair to see an artist of Paul's caliber censored.  No, wait...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:29:11 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 12, 2009, 01:15:11 PM

What's a meetong, and what is the relevance to DAoC?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #48 on: October 12, 2009, 02:14:58 PM

I suspect they figured out they will get a better return, with regards to investing development time in DAoC as opposed to WAR.  Christmas is going to be interesting, I think they need more server merges before it, otherwise it's going to get really ugly (ok, even more ugly).

http://www.warherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=941

Q. Are we ever going to see a buff to Experience gained while grouping, to encourage more grouping and less soloing?

A. As a social game, we always want to encourage players to group up and work together.  We’ve taken steps to help people get together already, for example the introduction of summoning stones, and we continue to work on improving and encouraging the social nature of WAR. That being said, yes we are discussing ways that we can improve the group experience; however, changing group Exp/Renown/Influence generation has a fairly broad effect on our game. As such we’re approaching it with caution.

It's been a year, "caution" isn't the word.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:17:10 PM by Arthur_Parker »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #49 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47:24 PM

I can't wait for the announcement of Barnett joining the DAOC team.  why so serious?

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 06:53:15 AM

Jesus that picture fills me with indescribable rage. Fucking people doing important work, real art, around the world and this pompous piece of shit has the audacity to pull that, as if the suits at EA are trying to shut him up instead of egging him on for the fatbeards to fawn over his "edginess". I hope he gets hit by a bus full of jailed Burmese dissidents.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:29 AM

I know nerd rage is fun but that's been Paul's profile picture for... pretty much forever.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 08:56:53 AM

I can't wait for the announcement of Barnett joining the DAOC team.  why so serious?

Please no.

most often known as Drevik
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 08:57:04 AM

Correct. I posted it for the DAoC reference as a pointer that more resources seem to be moving from WAR to DAoC.

Edit; in response to Lum.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 09:23:22 AM

As Creative Director at Mythic, it would be Paul's *job* to sit in on meetings for every Mythic game, and would always have been.

That being said, yeah, a lot of people are moving from WAR to UO and DAOC.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 11:18:28 AM

As Creative Director at Mythic, it would be Paul's *job* to sit in on meetings for every Mythic game, and would always have been.

Fair enough, I was under the impression that he was the Creative Director for WAR rather than the Creative Director for Mythic. You'd know better than me about how compartmentalised different projects are there.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 01:15:15 PM

I know nerd rage is fun but that's been Paul's profile picture for... pretty much forever.

I know. I've also been nerd raging at Barnett's goofy ass for... pretty much forever.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #57 on: October 13, 2009, 06:22:33 PM

It might have been his job, but I'm sure WAR was getting the lion's share of attention right up until Mythic got the idea that EA might pull the plug any day now. Hence shifting people onto more stable, profitable projects to ensure they still have jobs.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 13, 2009, 06:32:56 PM

Why wouldn't they just pull the plug on the entire studio and shunt it over to Bioware or whoever to keep on life support?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 07:06:43 PM

Why wouldn't they just pull the plug on the entire studio and shunt it over to Bioware or whoever to keep on life support?

It's best not to cross the streams.

To some degree EA has already jammed the weird RPG guys and the weird MMO guys together under one roof. BioWare is the butch the relationship already. However, if Mythic got pulled as a studio all their projects would likely die at the same time and BioWare wouldn't start focusing on developing any MMO other than SWOR regardless.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #60 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:53 PM

Doesn't make him any less of a cockgobbler.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 07:39:30 AM

I suspect they figured out they will get a better return, with regards to investing development time in DAoC as opposed to WAR.  Christmas is going to be interesting, I think they need more server merges before it, otherwise it's going to get really ugly (ok, even more ugly).

http://www.warherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=941

Q. Are we ever going to see a buff to Experience gained while grouping, to encourage more grouping and less soloing?

A. As a social game, we always want to encourage players to group up and work together.  We’ve taken steps to help people get together already, for example the introduction of summoning stones, and we continue to work on improving and encouraging the social nature of WAR. That being said, yes we are discussing ways that we can improve the group experience; however, changing group Exp/Renown/Influence generation has a fairly broad effect on our game. As such we’re approaching it with caution.

It's been a year, "caution" isn't the word.

I really wish they'd just change exp and inf in groups so that there's no split at all, at least in PQs.  I put in a suggestion as such but got no interest in it at all.  But tbh it's a lot faster to level now than it was at release because of LoTD.  Go in at 25, get bolstered to 36, solo a level 40 mob and get 6k exp while rested.  6k per mob all the way to 40 is pretty nice (course it drops down to a third of that without rested).  Getting people to group up at 1-39 just seems like such a no brainer.  I mean yeah the ORvR zerg is fun, but sometimes you want a change of pace.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 08:39:20 AM

I really wish they'd just change exp and inf in groups so that there's no split at all, at least in PQs.

This is something you're unlikely to see any major game do anytime soon, as it effectively multiplies experience gain by the number of people in a group, and the last thing any MMO company wants to see is a full strength Warband/Raid/Foozle Hunter Party sweep across a zone single file collecting every mob as they go gathering them together to AoE them down.

That would be pretty awesome, for real though.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 08:57:20 AM

This is something you're unlikely to see any major game do anytime soon, as it effectively multiplies experience gain by the number of people in a group, and the last thing any MMO company wants to see is a full strength Warband/Raid/Foozle Hunter Party sweep across a zone single file collecting every mob as they go gathering them together to AoE them down.

I would limit it to parties, not warbands.  But what you're describing (AE squads) is pretty much how it's done now.  Only nobody wants certain classes for these exp groups.  You want one healer, one tank, and AE dps.  If the exp wasn't split there wouldn't be a penalty for taking along single target dps, or an extra healer/tank.  I just don't see the harm at this point in making the trip a little faster and encouraging grouping.  This was actually how Shadowbane did it which is where I got the idea, but yeah I doubt Mythic would be that fun.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 16, 2009, 04:30:11 PM

Not sure whats worse about paul's picture - the fact that he/someone used a black and white filter to make it more 'artsy' or the fact that he's wearing a jean jacket.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:31:44 PM by waffel »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:05 PM

I just don't see the harm at this point in making the trip a little faster and encouraging grouping.  This was actually how Shadowbane did it which is where I got the idea, but yeah I doubt Mythic would be that fun.

he problem is that while it would be a pretty awesome way to encourage grouping, it would leave solo players stranded, and once the majority of players move along to the endgame en masse the only option becomes solo.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 17, 2009, 07:16:18 AM

I just don't see the harm at this point in making the trip a little faster and encouraging grouping.  This was actually how Shadowbane did it which is where I got the idea, but yeah I doubt Mythic would be that fun.

he problem is that while it would be a pretty awesome way to encourage grouping, it would leave solo players stranded, and once the majority of players move along to the endgame en masse the only option becomes solo.

I'm honestly not trying to be a douche, but if they are a solo player by choice, isn't their primary option to play solo anyway?  Am I not getting what you are trying to say here?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 18, 2009, 03:30:48 AM

Final Fantasy XII.  Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Overly rewarding group play is the same as punishing solo play.  The problem isn't players choosing to go solo, it's players being unable to find groups, and instead of taking their solo cockpunch they'll just get sick of that shit and leave.  Or rant about easy-mode games on a computer within a mental institution.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 23, 2009, 12:28:13 PM

Final Fantasy XII.  Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Overly rewarding group play is the same as punishing solo play.  The problem isn't players choosing to go solo, it's players being unable to find groups, and instead of taking their solo cockpunch they'll just get sick of that shit and leave.  Or rant about easy-mode games on a computer within a mental institution.

One of the things that made grouping difficult in FF11 was the ridiculous amount of classes and rigid group requirements. Back when I played, you had a hand full of essential and rare classes, and about several times more throwaway classes that could only DPS - some clearly better than others (lawl dragoon, thief) If developers loosened the requirements for forming a group in certain situations - they'd be able to promote a lot more group play. IE : Maybe it shouldn't be ALWAYS necessary to have a dedicated healer to do group content.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 24, 2009, 11:06:02 AM

One of the things that made grouping difficult in FF11 was the ridiculous amount of classes and rigid group requirements. Back when I played, you had a hand full of essential and rare classes, and about several times more throwaway classes that could only DPS - some clearly better than others (lawl dragoon, thief) If developers loosened the requirements for forming a group in certain situations - they'd be able to promote a lot more group play. IE : Maybe it shouldn't be ALWAYS necessary to have a dedicated healer to do group content.

WoW overcame this problem by creating classes that could spec for both healing and non- or less healing roles.  I think that this is a start on the move away from the tired tank-healer-dps trio, but there's still a long way to go. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: v1.3.2 PTS Patch Notes  
Jump to: