Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Community 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Community  (Read 84433 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 11:36:04 AM

Please tell me I am not the only one still watching this. It is the funniest thing on TV. Last night's episode was sublime.

It was great.  Donald Glover is the funniest guy on television right now.   "You hit a lady bee!"

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 12:01:56 PM

Please tell me I am not the only one still watching this. It is the funniest thing on TV. Last night's episode was sublime.

I'm going to have to watch it again. I was smiling inwardly and praising the references, without actually laughing at very many of the jokes.

I don't know if it was just too much too fast, or if I'm more a fan of the "normal" episodes than of the out-and-out parodies, or what.

In the DVD commentaries for the paintball episode, someone (Dan Harmon maybe) said something along the lines of: "We can do episodes like this because of all the story and character building episodes that came before." I think maybe a few more eps that feature story and character should happen before the next space-simulator or zombie attack.

Or hell, maybe I was uncomfortable because I was actually watching it on TV, instead of the NBC site.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 12:27:54 PM

Very entertaining episode.  I lost it when Abed as the Alien and Troy as the mech-thing showed up. 

"Go!  Be the first black man to survive until the end!"
"I love you, Abed."

It feels like the writers are pulling back on making it the Jeff Winger show.  Last season, he was pretty much the main character.  Also liked Britta as a T-Rex Dragon-turtle as a call back to how she feels about sexy halloween costumes.

Pierce as Kirk was hilarious, though it can't really touch his Beastmaster costume last year (complete with stuffed ferret!)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 07:39:50 PM

Still watching and loving it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 04:18:23 AM

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 07:00:58 AM

Faces so perfect.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 10:38:56 PM

It's going to be a maze!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 01:34:54 PM

It's going to be a maze!

So awesome.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 04:14:14 PM

Pics of Robo-Abed's targeting view, blatantly stolen from elsewhere:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6404/comm1.png

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6641/comm2.png

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3286/comm3.png

Memos:

Sell group on paintball sequal.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:17:03 PM by Johny Cee »
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 09:00:38 AM

Spoiler from last night's episode:

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 09:51:06 PM

I don't know if it was just too much too fast, or if I'm more a fan of the "normal" episodes than of the out-and-out parodies, or what.

Ahh, I feel better now. Cooperative Calligraphy was just what the doctor ordered. This one pushed all my Community-fan buttons. Best episode of the season so far, imo. I've already watched it four times.

WayAbvPar

Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 09:55:08 AM

My S1 disks were delivered yesterday. Have gotten through 2 of the commentaries so far and they are so much fun. Dan Harmon is a god.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #47 on: December 10, 2010, 10:08:17 AM

Last night's episode is my new favorite go-to Christmas episode of anything. Classic.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 06:25:50 PM

At first I really hated it, but then I got into it, and was near tears at the end. It is a fantastic goddamned show.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 03:59:09 AM

The last few episodes showed that that cast can do almost anything, drama, comedy, emotion, clay puppetry.

I also never knew we needed a christmas pterdodactlyl but now I don't want Christmas without one anymore.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 04:39:31 AM

Just recently got into this show.  It's very good but if they lost the blonde and CC I wouldn't cry.  Xmas special was really great I agree.  It got a little dusty in my house...
WayAbvPar

Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 11:06:46 AM

OMG. AD&D ep was spectacular. It even made me want to get a game going again! I loved the old school DMG they were using...I miss those days.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 04:32:22 PM

That was a great, surprisingly intense episode.  This show has a lot of heart.  Annie's roleplaying was hilarious. 
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 05:54:32 PM

How often does a show have to be awesome before it's considered a classic?
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 06:28:40 PM

Absolutely hysterical episode and amazingly well done. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 06:42:09 PM

Pretty much the best episode since the zombie one.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 08:38:03 PM

You won't be sorry. And I am willing to bet the DVD commentaries will be equally amusing. Dan Harmon is clinically insane, but in a completely hilarious way.

What would Dan Harmon do....

I'm Dan Harmon and I shit gold.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:44:42 PM by Furiously »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 13, 2011, 04:46:53 AM

Changs face after the light: funniest thing ever.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #58 on: February 26, 2011, 10:28:05 AM

Just watched the DnD episode on a whim...wow. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #59 on: March 07, 2011, 01:03:34 PM

I watched the first couple of episodes when this came out, and I really think they screwed up in putting an episode really heavily focused on Chevy Chase right at the beginning, cuase it really turned off my interest in the show. I kept meaning to try to go watch it again, but no one had the DVDs and I couldn't be bothered to hunt down the torrents.

Then Netflix.ca suddenly added all of Season 1 last week. I am now eight or nine episodes in, and am very sad that I waited this long. This stupid show is pure joy.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 07, 2011, 02:21:56 PM

I watched the first couple of episodes when this came out, and I really think they screwed up in putting an episode really heavily focused on Chevy Chase right at the beginning, cuase it really turned off my interest in the show. I kept meaning to try to go watch it again, but no one had the DVDs and I couldn't be bothered to hunt down the torrents.

Then Netflix.ca suddenly added all of Season 1 last week. I am now eight or nine episodes in, and am very sad that I waited this long. This stupid show is pure joy.

I suspect (I have no source for this) that making the Chevy episode the first one after the pilot was to try and draw in viewers. Since he was the only one in the cast with any kind of exposure/history to a broad audience. (Unless you count Joel McHale working on the Soup).

If (like me) you are obsessive enough to listen to the commentaries on the DVDs, you will learn that their early plan was to have the first six episodes alternate which of the group members got put in a story with Jeff. So having Chevy featured heavily in an early episode was done deliberately.

WayAbvPar

Reply #61 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:41 AM

Does Netflix have the commentaries? If not, they are totally worth the price of purchase themselves. They do commentaries for every single episode and are very entertaining. S2 should be even better- they probably have a better feel for the audience (and can cater their comments to that segment), and the episodes this season have been even wackier, which should make for some fun behind the scenes stories.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:28 AM

Does Netflix have the commentaries? If not, they are totally worth the price of purchase themselves. They do commentaries for every single episode and are very entertaining. S2 should be even better- they probably have a better feel for the audience (and can cater their comments to that segment), and the episodes this season have been even wackier, which should make for some fun behind the scenes stories.

Not to be too much of a shill, but the S1 DVD's have tons of extras.
- the above-mentioned commentaries, for every episode
- each of the 4 discs has a blooper reel (from the episodes contained on each disc)
- mini-episodes (the study breaks)
- mock post-season cast interviews
- the valentine's episode, "Communication Studies", is on there twice. Once as it was broadcast, and once more with several minutes of cut footage edited back in. Harmon said they picked that ep for this treatment, because it was by far the one that had the most content cut for time.

There might be something I'm forgetting, but the above extras are more by far than I've seen on a DVD for any other movie or tv show.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 08, 2011, 12:46:33 PM

Still not available on Netflix (US). WTF?

Eh, we still have 4 seasons of Lost (yeah, 7 years late to the party ;)) queued up…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 03:46:50 PM

Just watch the first and last seasons of Lost.  The rest is filler.

I'm someone else waiting for Community on Netflix.  Heartbreak
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 08, 2011, 04:23:45 PM

Seriously, you can find the 1st season of Community for $20 nearly anywhere, and it's now $17 on Amazon....  and that counts (as people have said) a metric shitton of great bonus materials.  Just buy the DVDs already!  You'll be happy you own them.

Not many shows are as rewatchable as Community. 
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #66 on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:24 PM

The biggest disappointment of Community is Chevy though and I explicitly don't say Pierce. You can feel that he isn't part of the cast and that he doesn't see himself to be part of the cast. He doesn't bring anything to Pierce that makes you care he exists and he get's routinely out-classed and out-acted by every other cast member including Joel McHale, which never struck me as a particularly good actor but improved quite a bit over the course of two seasons.

At panels he always wants to be the center of attention and the rest of the cast is simply much more funny and together when he's not around.

Even so, Community is exactly that kind of brilliant TV that will get cancelled before its time. It has given us a lot of brilliant masterpieces with Modern Warfare probably being the best parody I've ever seen.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30:55 AM

The biggest disappointment of Community is Chevy though and I explicitly don't say Pierce. You can feel that he isn't part of the cast and that he doesn't see himself to be part of the cast. He doesn't bring anything to Pierce that makes you care he exists and he get's routinely out-classed and out-acted by every other cast member including Joel McHale, which never struck me as a particularly good actor but improved quite a bit over the course of two seasons.

At panels he always wants to be the center of attention and the rest of the cast is simply much more funny and together when he's not around.

Even so, Community is exactly that kind of brilliant TV that will get cancelled before its time. It has given us a lot of brilliant masterpieces with Modern Warfare probably being the best parody I've ever seen.

As they point out in episode as "the study group works because they're united against Pierce", the show works because Chevy's character is there to make everyone else look better.  A major reason Jeff is as sympathetic a character as he is, despite being a douche about half the time, is that he is the "dad" who everyone else turns to when Pierce gets out of hand.

His purpose is to be the regular cause of conflict in the group that the other characters can play off of.  He can get away with it, because he is a slightly crazed sad old man. 

Pierce still can be fucking hilarious.  He was one of the main reasons the D&D episode was so good ("Cast a shapechange" "What shape?" "FAAAAAATTTT")

Community will be around at least another season.  That is pretty much guaranteed.  Ratings aren't great, but they are in a tough slot competing against Big Bang Theory (which is a hit, and a sitcom)...  I think the DVD sales were pretty good as well.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 09:21:56 AM

Community will be around at least another season.  That is pretty much guaranteed.  Ratings aren't great, but they are in a tough slot competing against Big Bang Theory (which is a hit, and a sitcom)...  I think the DVD sales were pretty good as well.

Community was renewed for season 3, along with the Office, Parks & Rec, and 30 Rock.

The rumor is that they will be doing a 2 part Paintball episode this year, riffing on Westerns.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:07 AM

Heh, last night Abed distributed hoodies to commemorate the paintball game that said "All downhill from here" on the back.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Community  
Jump to: