Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Community 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Community  (Read 84976 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: March 23, 2014, 03:05:56 PM

Not their best episodes, but the Dean's reaction to 'Beefcake Airways' was hysterical!
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #141 on: March 23, 2014, 08:38:10 PM

Not their best episodes, but the Dean's reaction to 'Beefcake Airways' was hysterical!

I think I need to rewatch Community I love it but it's almost too chock block of awesome quips and other references.

I'm almost overwhelmed having not watched it before it went on hiatus
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 18, 2012, 10:40:17 AM

Finally caught up with this; it's so good, so very good.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #143 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:59 PM

"I need help with to react to this"

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #144 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:58 PM

Law & Order spoof = awesome, for real
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #145 on: April 27, 2012, 06:36:33 AM

That was brilliant, especially the dramatic punchline at the end.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #146 on: April 27, 2012, 07:55:58 PM

As a huge L&O fan, that was absolutely amazing. They had it down to the shot rhythms, character blocking, mannerisms, camera angle, edits. Just incredible.

Plus the actual Omar quote. Unreal.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: April 28, 2012, 06:09:45 AM

Just watched it.  Tons of fun!  I like how they treated Britta, their investigation and the twists at the end.  If you're a fan of TV, you really should be watching this. 
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: April 29, 2012, 05:54:28 PM

Amazing episode. Probably the best yet.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:55 AM

Remedial Chaos Theory (the one with the housewarming and the dice) has probably been my favourite episode so far.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:45 AM

They do a lot of spoofs or perhaps homages.. but this was the first one they REALLY committed to. And it worked so well.

beer geek.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #151 on: May 01, 2012, 06:49:10 PM

My personal favourite episode. The homage and all the references were perfect as mentioned by everyone else.

I'm sad about the possible change in characters though...
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: May 01, 2012, 08:43:00 PM

My personal favourite episode. The homage and all the references were perfect as mentioned by everyone else.

I'm sad about the possible change in characters though...

For the episode to be truly awesome, it needs to be canon.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #153 on: May 02, 2012, 07:29:47 AM

Yea, they did spoil that that was going to happen to one of the characters this season, so I assume they'll stick with it.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: May 11, 2012, 02:55:58 AM

Holy crap, Community renewed for Season 4, for at least 13 episodes.

Somewhere upthread, there was a theory kicking around that Sony wants syndication, so they might be willing to get lowballed. I wonder if that played a part.

Anyway, we get at least another half-season!

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: May 11, 2012, 06:52:41 AM

Sweet

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: May 17, 2012, 08:31:22 PM

Tonight's 90 minute marathon was amazing.  The video game episode may go down as one of all my all time favorites.  Though, we were also blessed with the amazing Goth Britta tonight. 

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: May 21, 2012, 06:04:42 AM

Dan Harmon got fired by Sony.

Well. I'm sure that a portion of their ratings comes from viewers who think this show is entertaining because of Dan Harmon, rather than in spite of him.
But, if all of those people don't tune in for S4, will anyone notice?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #158 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:52 AM

What the hell is it with this show and network exec's constant efforts to kill it? Just feels like they are doing everything imaginable to make this show go away... which is only 1 of 4 shows I watch weekly - though, on Hulu.

And the cast in an 8 bit video game is priceless. I want a screenshot of them in the study room...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 21, 2012, 08:32:44 AM

You can't publically shit on chevy chase and not expect to lose your job.  Deserved or not very few people could get away with that, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of actors in general and is just bad PR.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #160 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:17 AM

Pretty much guarantees I won't be tuning in for S4. Much like The West Wing after Sorkin left (still have never seen anything beyond S4). I tune in because these shows have a certain quality I like, not just because they are on TV and I like the moving pictures and the sounds. NBC is also awkwardly shoveling 30 Rock out the door too. Gotta make way for more singing and fat people. Maybe singing fat people!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:10 AM

I suppose only those who watch network TV are supporting those "reality" tv ratings... I can only hope for the salvation of mankind.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: May 21, 2012, 09:13:04 AM

Maybe singing fat people!
You have just ensured the doom of this world. You cannot even begin to imagine what you've set in motion this day.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #163 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:40 AM

I suppose only those who watch network TV are supporting those "reality" tv ratings... I can only hope for the salvation of mankind.

Then never look at the ratings numbers for those shows.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: May 21, 2012, 02:23:32 PM

Not sure how Harmon's exit will change the show.  If we lose paintball and 8 bit episodes then feck it.  I love that shit.

Got DAMN did Britta look good goth!  She should dress like that from here out.

So put me down as cautiously optimistic for next season.  I love this weird, meta, scattershot show. 

"Troy and Abed shooting Laaavaaaa!"

coolcoolcool

Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: May 21, 2012, 03:09:52 PM

Not sure how Harmon's exit will change the show.  If we lose paintball and 8 bit episodes then feck it.  I love that shit.

Got DAMN did Britta look good goth!  She should dress like that from here out.

So put me down as cautiously optimistic for next season.  I love this weird, meta, scattershot show. 

"Troy and Abed shooting Laaavaaaa!"

coolcoolcool

cruelcruelcruel...

And I can't believe she is from Pittsburgh...

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #166 on: May 23, 2012, 03:56:11 AM

The problem is that you haven't yet killed Nielsen with fire like you should have long ago. Even if it weren't for hulu, DVD and streaming viewers that they don't count their process of determining ratings would be broken.

Most of those shows have a huge audience - on hulu, DVR or via grey/black channels overseas.

DVR and hulu numbers are huge for Community, Parks and Rec and other shows and Dan Harmon's exit as showrunner was trending topic in Europe although the show doesn't yet run anywhere over here (all because of word of mouth and "illegal" downloads since neither hulu nor netflix are legally available in the EU nor are the DVDs).

Unfortunately the DVR and +7 numbers don't count towards the ratings only live viewers. If they did Community would have a 5.x or 7.x rating in the demo instead of a 1.7 and if they had found a way to legally sell streaming of Community and/or Parks and Rec to the overseas market (or the DVDs) the numbers would be huge.

Since they haven't figured out how to capitalize on that though (which is sad because they will have to at some point) and since advertisers don't like DVR or streaming viewers (can't place ads) they like to ignore those numbers though and focus on the live rating (which is unsurprisingly abysmal for a show that skewers so young).

On his last standup college tour Joel McHale (Jeff Winger on Community for those who don't know) always asked the audience if they watched Community (most if not all of them did) and how they watched it. 90% watched it on Hulu or other streaming services, only about 5% of the college audience even owned a TV most if not all watched on the PC or iPad. Even the TV owners didn't watch live but used DVRs.

It's not a representative sampling by any means but I'm 35 and the only people I know that still watch live or scheduled TV are of my parents' generation. Most people I know only use their cable or satellite service for news or live events (like football or big sports events) only. Many don't even have a live cable subscription anymore and instead rely on DVDs, iTunes or streaming for movies and use public access TV (which is more like the bbc than PBS over here) for everything else.

There is a whole shadow economy of for example VPN provider services or Usenet providers and guides so that EU citizens can gain access to Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other online video services simply because it's the only available avenue to watch the content. More often than not there are no legal channels available until a EU broadcasting network licenses the property which can take anywhere from 2 years to never.

The most downloaded TV season yet of any TV series in the GERMAN iTunes store is the original english language version of the 6th season of Lost WITHOUT SUBTITLES. Just because they were available less than 24 hours after the US airdate. It has been so successful that you can now buy season passes for Game of Thrones, New Girl, House and a few others to get the episodes within 24 hours of the US airdate even though it's OV and without subtitles. This is a small sensation because German TV doesn't broadcast OV with subtitles at all everything is dubbed.

The bbc iPlayer global edition is in the iTunes app top 50 in most EU countries even though it only offers a selection of older bbc content.

There is a huge untapped market especially for shows like 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Firefly, Community that skewer young (Firefly btw. never officially aired in Germany yet broke the Amazon DE Top 50 sales charts when they started offering the Region 2 DVDs with english language rack). Hell I've ranted on for several paragraphs already even though I'm from Germany and couldn't even legally watch Community. That's the kind of appeal NBC is squandering here and movements like "Save Chuck" were always global fan movements with huge audience participation from all over the world.

A 18 to 35 demo rating becomes more and more pointless though if TV ownership and a cable subscription is required and you have to watch the shows on the date and time they are broadcast to even register as a viewer. My primary TV is my iPad now.

The fact that we'll never get another 8bit or paintball ep or anything as brilliant even though a show like Community could be profitable if all of that untapped potential wasn't ignored makes me sad
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: May 24, 2012, 05:25:57 PM

What he said.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #168 on: May 24, 2012, 05:29:33 PM

Whatchchu got against Pittsburgh?
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: May 24, 2012, 05:38:14 PM

Whatchchu got against Pittsburgh?

Nothing.... I live here.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #170 on: May 26, 2012, 03:50:53 PM

Haha, sucker.

I grew up there.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 13, 2012, 01:38:44 PM

I'm just going to set this down here, like so.

Season 3 DVD goes on sale: August 14, 2012

Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo!

You don't have to buy it from Amazon of course, I just put a link in there for verification purposes :D

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 13, 2012, 02:38:46 PM

and. still. not. blu. ray.  angry

beer geek.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #173 on: July 13, 2012, 02:48:43 PM

Geeks more than any other demographic will buy multiple copies. Star Wars taught the industry that, Lord of the Rings confirmed it. 

They'll do a Blu-Ray when the last season is shot and re-release everything.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: July 14, 2012, 01:06:35 AM

Geeks more than any other demographic will buy multiple copies. Star Wars taught the industry that, Lord of the Rings confirmed it. 

They'll do a Blu-Ray when the last season is shot and re-release everything.

LOTR came out when Blu-Ray was still fledgling. Everything "geek" orientated comes out on Blu-Ray now. I don't have a single god damn reason to think this has anything to do with that. I don't think that would hold true in this case. I don't know why we would think that.

beer geek.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Community  
Jump to: