Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:41:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Community 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Community  (Read 84824 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:04 AM

I have the DVDs. There's some subtle things going on in the commentaries.
1) The last few episodes, the people in the commentary are looking at not-finished versions of the episodes. Like, in "Digital Estate Planning", the computer voices they're hearing are all Dan Harmon. Which is weird, because I am viewing the finished product. So, they recorded the commentaries before the season had fully aired. Which leads to ...
2) Dan Harmon makes references to Season 4 and "13 episodes" as if he's going to be around for it. It's surreal  awesome, for real

He also made a mention of the "public feud" between himself and Chevy, which, among other things, led to one of the episodes having a different tag than was originally planned.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: August 22, 2012, 04:58:58 PM

Yeah, the Dan Harmon/Chevy thing was pretty widely known.

beer geek.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: October 20, 2012, 11:32:50 AM

So this has been bumped back a week, but promoted to the Thursday evening slot. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or just a thing.

Need more community in my life, I love this show.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #178 on: November 23, 2012, 12:00:49 AM

Continuing the drama, chevy chase has quit the show in some sort of tiff, and will be missing in some of the episodes of season 4.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/chevy-chase-leaves-cast-of-community/

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 23, 2012, 08:21:59 AM

Well, that's not a good sign.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 23, 2012, 08:39:34 AM

Well, that's not a good sign.

It's just stupid at this point.  There's literally like 2 episodes left that they haven't filmed and we can assume that this is the end of the show.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:01 PM

I think you are all forgetting that this is Chevy Chase we are talking about, and he's a known asshole.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #182 on: February 07, 2013, 09:21:11 AM

Ouch.

I have yet to watch the new episodes, I hope he's wrong.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 07, 2013, 09:52:38 AM

Oh dear.

Well, I'll go in with high hopes, there is still a lot of talent in the cast, but that doesn't bode well.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: February 07, 2013, 09:56:43 AM

Oh dear.

Well, I'll go in with high hopes, there is still a lot of talent in the cast, but that doesn't bode well.

Don't. Do just the opposite, or at the very least, temper your hopes.

beer geek.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: February 07, 2013, 07:28:49 PM

Well fuck.

It's definitely much more forced and any sense of heart and nuance has been run over roughshod in the rush to make it the answer to Two Broke Girls or some such shit.

It wasn't terrible, but it certainly didn't have the charm of the Harmon years.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: February 08, 2013, 08:54:46 AM

Yeah, it felt a bit forced. Like somebody got notes what is funny about this show and tried to recreate it without having the same sense of humor. Maybe that is my knowledge of Harmon leaving clouding the issue, though.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #187 on: February 08, 2013, 01:17:26 PM

'Yo dawg, we heard you like meta, so we put meta in your meta....'

Seriously, it felt like the point was to try and mock Harmon's style by putting in as many layers as possible in a completely incoherent fashion, and in the process make the audience the butt of the joke.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #188 on: February 08, 2013, 03:39:27 PM

Not surprising... they been trying to get rid of this show for what seems like forever. Seems like they found the bullet.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #189 on: February 08, 2013, 04:42:57 PM

If they wanted to get rid if it they would have when Harmon left.  Now they're just stretching it out for syndication purposes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 11, 2013, 03:41:44 PM

Ehhhh, it was OK.  Going to stick with it. 
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:56 AM

36 hours on the road with Dan Harmon.

Fun read on Dan Harmon, guy is a fruit cake.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 18, 2013, 02:06:28 AM

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of this season. I won't try and argue that they showcase the best of the show, but they haven't been as bad as a lot of these reviews would seem to imply. The only things that have irked me is the dialogue, the timing between the cast seems to have been off at times, and it feels weird, and Abed. It seems that the new writers don't know what to do with him, so they wrote him out of the first two episodes to a degree. Also, the lacking after-show bit with Troy and Abed after episode one annoyed me.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #193 on: February 18, 2013, 04:44:59 AM

I'm no fan of the show, but I understand that what people love about it is the continuity.  That references made will come back later with a payoff.   Given that, the first review was damning enough - the character that introduced the Who-facsimile didn't know wtf it was? Derf?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #194 on: February 18, 2013, 02:11:24 PM

They don't seem to know when to take a beat in the editing, let the reference or the straight lines soak in. They just rush ahead to the next bit.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 20, 2013, 03:03:53 PM

Alison Brie was on Daily Show.. it was lovely.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:45 AM

The first episode was fine. The second episode, however, was TERRIBLE.

beer geek.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 22, 2013, 05:47:34 AM

The third episode last night (Inspector Spacetime Convention) wasn't great, but was definitely an improvement.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: February 22, 2013, 06:15:51 AM

Alison Brie was on Daily Show.. it was lovely.  awesome, for real

I watched this interview.  With the sound down, it was incredible.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: March 01, 2013, 03:43:49 AM

Pet peeve: american sitcome writers who do not know how to write dialogue for British characters, classically exemplified by Emily's use of the word 'pants' instead of 'trousers' in the Friends episode in London. Also, nobody in the UK, especially not faculty members at Oxford, ever use the word 'coed'.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Aside from this, the series is definitely improving, the cast seem to have better timing and the whole thing feels good. Still no great episodes, but they're not bad.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #200 on: March 01, 2013, 05:47:49 AM

Now you know how we feel when there's "Americans" on the UK shows here.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #201 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:19 AM

Not the best episode, and it certainly did not live up to the last appearance of the Germans, but I did laugh out loud at the balloons. Probably because I actually have that silly song on the thumb drive in my car.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: March 30, 2013, 02:24:15 PM

Never watched this show live but now almost through season 3 via Hulu.

This is like the greatest show in the history of television. A few episodes were not up to the rest, but on the whole, pure delight. All of the cast is stellar (with the possible exception of Glover IMV) and remarkably gifted. Even Chevy Chase even if he didn't want to be there.

Haven't seen any of season 4 though I hear a range of disappointment from "totally sucks now" to "good, but not anything near to 1st 3 seasons".

On the ratings disappointment, here is a Wired article on the Nielsen disconnect with some blurbs (and photos too) of Alison Brie…

It seems Community ranks at the bottom of the Nielsen ratings but near the top in net culture buzz. I guess given the premise and nature of this show, not to be unexpected.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: March 30, 2013, 02:27:59 PM

Community seems like the epitome of a show that is made for new media, and which cannot be gauged well in any sense by systems like Nielsen.

For the record, I think season four is going really well. The first two episodes were shaky and oddly-paced, but since then the show has found good form. There haven't been any complete stand-out episodes, but they're all good and better than any alternative.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: March 30, 2013, 05:24:56 PM

It's gotten better.  Nothing that really stands up to the better episodes from 2 and 3, but since the bobbles in the first few episodes it's stopped making me think "Oh God, I see what they're trying to do there and they totally blew it."  They aren't aiming as high, but they're not screwing up what they do try, either.  Maybe they can close out the syndication/DVD boxed set package without trashing the franchise, which would count as a "Win" now.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: May 13, 2013, 09:06:30 AM

Community renewed for a 5th season.

I'm pleased about this; while this 4th season hasn't been as good as previous seasons, it has been better than the first two episodes implied. Although I'm not sure where they're going to go with the storylines.

Good riddance to Chevy Chase, this season really showed how unnecessary he was to the show.

Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 13, 2013, 10:31:15 AM

Oh nice. This last episode was a bit much, but still stayed on course. Still wondering about Chang though...

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: May 13, 2013, 12:43:55 PM

Rumor is that Dan Harmon may be coming back for the next/last season.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: May 13, 2013, 02:27:03 PM

Christ, that was a short season!  Uneven episodes.  But the 'Freaky Friday' one was both funny and touching.  5th season!  You know the pressure will  be incredible for them to renew to bow to the 'six seasons and a movie' crowd.

Fortunately, NBC is such a dumpster fire of a network, it made the cut. 

I hope Harmon comes back, coke habit and all. 

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: May 13, 2013, 02:40:34 PM

Dan Harmon coming back would be grand

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Community  
Jump to: