Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1274664 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #4130 on: November 27, 2010, 01:38:45 PM

yeah, they added exp to mining and herbalism.  Skinning got jewed out, because appearently getting exp from killing the mob you need to skin is enough.

Also, can't you still skin other people's looted kills?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4131 on: November 27, 2010, 02:10:45 PM

yeah, they added exp to mining and herbalism.  Skinning got jewed out, because appearently getting exp from killing the mob you need to skin is enough.

Oh yes... yes you can. I followed this one troll druid around the Barrens the other day. Yes, I asked first...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #4132 on: November 27, 2010, 03:12:02 PM

Oh yes... yes you can. I followed this one troll druid around the Barrens the other day. Yes, I asked first...
As far as I can tell the option to skin someone else's mob only comes up if the person who killed it doesn't have the skinning profession trained, it works sort of like the loot icon that way.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4133 on: November 27, 2010, 03:47:36 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #4134 on: November 27, 2010, 03:55:46 PM

The orcs are coming 'round to WUA's point of view, it would seem, so I wouldn't try throwing that line out too much longer.  There was a big "Save Sylvanis" thread in the forums a few days ago.  Apparently Garrosh has said something about killing her, too, since she's a dangerous mustache-twirling villain/ psychopath.

Even odds that you'll be farming her for purples before the expansion is over. Watch the cutscenes and story updates that come with major content patches very carefully and see if they're grooming a successor. I had Garrosh pegged as the new Warchief as early as the Ulduar cinematic.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #4135 on: November 27, 2010, 06:26:23 PM

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4136 on: November 27, 2010, 06:36:40 PM

As far as I can tell the option to skin someone else's mob only comes up if the person who killed it doesn't have the skinning profession trained, it works sort of like the loot icon that way.

It's if they loot it, unless it changed this last patch.

EDIT: Derp, I forgot the reason I even came to this thread. The "sequel" to Deep Ocean, Vast Sea in Darkshore is fucking awesome. <3
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:38:32 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4137 on: November 28, 2010, 02:08:36 AM

I haven't noticed herbs (aside from Felweed) being more plentiful...  But since 4.0, I've been astonished as to how much XP you get for gathering herbs.  And then it seemed to take a jump again with 4.0.3.  I swear that my Druid is almost leveling faster from that than killing mobs!  2000-ish per gather vs. 1300 per kill.

I only got 190ish XP from a Rich Thorium Node, will have to see what Fel Iron gives.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4138 on: November 28, 2010, 06:49:12 AM

I haven't noticed herbs (aside from Felweed) being more plentiful...  But since 4.0, I've been astonished as to how much XP you get for gathering herbs.  And then it seemed to take a jump again with 4.0.3.  I swear that my Druid is almost leveling faster from that than killing mobs!  2000-ish per gather vs. 1300 per kill.

I only got 190ish XP from a Rich Thorium Node, will have to see what Fel Iron gives.

It seems rather arbitrary. I get 200 from a peacebloom, and 60 from kingsblood. Up until the kingsblood tier it was advancing pretty properly, and then it just went strange on me.

I will say: leveling is fast now, but on the down side I rarely get to "finish" a zone's plotline before it turns green/grey on me.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4139 on: November 28, 2010, 08:00:25 AM

The XP per herb node is more based on your level range compared to the zones level range then the actual herbs.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4140 on: November 28, 2010, 08:32:08 AM

I've been logging in to my old characters thanks to the trial.  I'm not feeling the excitement at all.  The stock UI has some improvements.  Textures are nicer.  I like that fishing dailies award a point of skill.

All my classes seemed to have gained a bunch more buttons for already overflowing bars (Dear gods, did they really need to add more to Warlocks!?!)  Other than the number of abilities, I really don't need 40 situational buttons, the Soulburn and a couple of other changes look nice.

Nothing else grabs me.  I was hoping to find at least something that made me briefly consider going back.  At least I got to dress all my characters in their useless finery, so I can reminisce when I view their Armory profiles.  (Except none of my characters seem to show on it now...)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4141 on: November 28, 2010, 09:07:04 AM

How about that almost all the lowbie quest rewards got revamped and many of them could be considered rp items now?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4142 on: November 28, 2010, 09:13:16 AM

The ingame cutscenes are rather nifty, and add a lot of nice flavour.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #4143 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:40 AM

I was trying out an undead hunter.  I really enjoyed the string of quests surrounding Lillian Voss.  Apeshit!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4144 on: November 28, 2010, 11:44:47 AM

I've been logging in to my old characters thanks to the trial.  I'm not feeling the excitement at all.  The stock UI has some improvements.  Textures are nicer.  I like that fishing dailies award a point of skill.

All my classes seemed to have gained a bunch more buttons for already overflowing bars (Dear gods, did they really need to add more to Warlocks!?!)  Other than the number of abilities, I really don't need 40 situational buttons, the Soulburn and a couple of other changes look nice.

Nothing else grabs me.  I was hoping to find at least something that made me briefly consider going back.  At least I got to dress all my characters in their useless finery, so I can reminisce when I view their Armory profiles.  (Except none of my characters seem to show on it now...)
Well, the thing about warlocks (at least from my limited experience on my Lock Tailor alt, is that even though they have assloads of abilities (similar to say, mages), you only really ever need the ones applicable to your spec on your bars, and maybe a few universal ones (again, same with mages).  If you are a Destro Lock, you can pretty much remove most of your shadow based dots and things off the your bars since your rotation is going to be made up entirely of fire spells, etc.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4145 on: November 28, 2010, 11:52:11 AM

The lowbie undead quest where you pretend to be a quest giver is fucking hilarious.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #4146 on: November 28, 2010, 12:53:46 PM

I resubbed recently and am surprised by all the changes and new things, all good so far as I can tell, but I have one question I can't easily find the answer for.  Does anyone know if they are going to reduce the cost of the advanced flying training when cataclysm comes out or would be a waste to spend the money on my alt now?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4147 on: November 28, 2010, 01:05:17 PM

The ingame cutscenes are rather nifty, and add a lot of nice flavour.

This. It's almost as if they looked at what worked in older games (FFXI) for lore and story and decided now is the perfect time to try. Of course, all the twitchy little shits who only give a crap about pee vee pee and arena / gear scores won't ever do it unless they are bored and even then won't appreciate it - but meh. I do think Bliz did a bang up job with providing these cut scenes/phasings to not only explain things, but move you through the zone and expedite leveling. They got in my wheelhouse with this expansion no doubt.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4148 on: November 28, 2010, 01:11:54 PM

I resubbed recently and am surprised by all the changes and new things, all good so far as I can tell, but I have one question I can't easily find the answer for.  Does anyone know if they are going to reduce the cost of the advanced flying training when cataclysm comes out or would be a waste to spend the money on my alt now?

They added flying trainers to the capital cities, so you can get the 20% discount at exalted now (I think). I know I had a look and saw 310% flying was 4K rather than 5K if I bought it in SW rather than Northrend. I probably wouldn't hold my breath for dramatic drops in the high-end flying training though. Unlike the changes to low-level riding, I think Blizz still sees epic flying and 310% flying as practical gold sinks. Blizz have been unpredictable about things like this in the past, however I would say that it's unlikely to drop in the next 6 months or so, and that you'll probably easily make 2K from questing through the Cata zones (based on how I did in Northrend on my two main characters), so you might as well buy now.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4149 on: November 28, 2010, 01:19:41 PM

Get them an achievement, that seems to kick the new armory into upgrading you from being a Shadow Person.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4150 on: November 28, 2010, 01:22:04 PM

If you want Master flying (310%) just do the "What a Long Strange Trip it's Been" achieve.  Or, if you're really good at PVP do the Arena thing until you get Gladiator.  Both grant the top level of flying now.   If pooling 5k gold is that severe an issue for you, then the year it'd take to do LST will probably be easier.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:59:41 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4151 on: November 28, 2010, 01:49:33 PM

Well, the thing about warlocks (at least from my limited experience on my Lock Tailor alt, is that even though they have assloads of abilities (similar to say, mages), you only really ever need the ones applicable to your spec on your bars, and maybe a few universal ones (again, same with mages).  If you are a Destro Lock, you can pretty much remove most of your shadow based dots and things off the your bars since your rotation is going to be made up entirely of fire spells, etc.
I'm Demonology.  Neither affliction nor destruction spells are favored, and in fact, we get +15% to damage for both!  So which is better is situational, usually a mix is best, plus I have all my demon buttons...

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4152 on: November 28, 2010, 01:57:23 PM

Nothing else grabs me.  I was hoping to find at least something that made me briefly consider going back.

Aren't you a fellow Explorer-type?  They reworked a ton of zones on the old world, plus the engine upgrades - likely worth a month come Cata with a newbie.  I might have to break my "zOMG not leveling another alt" vow just to see everything after getting a glimpse of the new Org.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4153 on: November 28, 2010, 02:19:22 PM

This patch/expansion so far is like Christmas + Birthday + Giants Win The Pennant.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4154 on: November 28, 2010, 02:41:01 PM

Another nifty thing is the gnomecoder for quests.  No more running back to the NPC to pick up the next phase, they 'call' you and give you the next part in the chain kills.  Too bad this will make the BC and WOTLK content look like crap as you're leveling new alts. (Nesingwary quests in particular)

This is super nice. [grumpy]The only thing about the patch that I like so far. [/grumpy]

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4155 on: November 28, 2010, 04:59:46 PM

Aren't you a fellow Explorer-type?  They reworked a ton of zones on the old world, plus the engine upgrades - likely worth a month come Cata with a newbie.  I might have to break my "zOMG not leveling another alt" vow just to see everything after getting a glimpse of the new Org.
I'm a huge explorer.  While seeing the changes is neat, it's just not enough.  I can take a flightpath over a zone, note the changes, and I'm quickly back to 'meh'.  WoW doesn't do it for me anymore.  We've grown too far apart.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4156 on: November 28, 2010, 06:06:51 PM

The lowbie undead quest where you pretend to be a quest giver is fucking hilarious.

I just came here to post this. All the Forsaken quests so far have been great, and this little in-joke quest was like the cherry on top.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4157 on: November 28, 2010, 06:26:38 PM

Low level no heirloom healing is D: right now. Especially with the changes to SFK and Deadmines.

Dear lord, what. It's pretty much 4 casts and OOM for any healer right now, combined with MUCH harder trash and bosses.
If you've got a priest, Disc has no mana issues in low level dungeons assuming sensible pulls and an actual tank.

My priest is 80 already. What I lack is a druid, but that's painful to heal with while leveling right now.

I'm tempted to use a shaman, since earth shield will help a lot with healing mana, since it's a low cost and 9 charges out of the box now.

Druids are just.. We have a HoT and swiftmend, and everything else costs a fifth of your mana bar.

edit: that said though, Rake is hilariously overpowered at low levels. The DoT tics crit for half an even con mob's health.

I'm new to WoW tanking, haven't tanked since my SK in Everquest. I've been playing a Warrior for less than a week, and started running dungeons 3 days ago. I've run about 10-15 dungeins so far from Deadmines up to SM Cemetary, and been healed by every class that has a heal. No Heirlooms, lots of blues, lots of sta, and was actually Fury specced until I hit 30 when I dual specced and changed primary to Prot.

I've died only once so far, and that was to the machinegunning on the last boss in SFK. Occasonally a healer asks me to slow down for mana, and there have been some close calls on bosses, but yeah, so far only 1 death to me, and one to another groupmate - from the boss of Gnomergan who is immune to taunt. Point isn't that I'm awesome, or that every healer I have had is awesome, but that low level healing seems to be working pretty well in my experience so far.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4158 on: November 28, 2010, 06:39:28 PM

It's just druids. Everyone else I've healed with at a low level now, and they work fine. Druids just don't have the 20 mana heal everyone else has for spamming. They only have the "big" heals.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4159 on: November 28, 2010, 08:03:04 PM

If you want Master flying (310%) just do the "What a Long Strange Trip it's Been" achieve.  Or, if you're really good at PVP do the Arena thing until you get Gladiator.  Both grant the top level of flying now.   If pooling 5k gold is that severe an issue for you, then the year it'd take to do LST will probably be easier.

One of those options takes a full year to complete and the other is only available to .5% of the population, getting exalted rep and farming 4k gold is magnitudes easier than either of those options.

I am the .00000001428%
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #4160 on: November 28, 2010, 08:26:33 PM

It's really, really, not hard to get the 4k gold for 280% flight speed if you stay the fuck away from the auction house except when you're selling shit.  I'm just hitting 80 with two characters, and each has ~2.5k gold.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4161 on: November 28, 2010, 08:26:49 PM

I'm a huge explorer.  While seeing the changes is neat, it's just not enough.  I can take a flightpath over a zone, note the changes, and I'm quickly back to 'meh'.  WoW doesn't do it for me anymore.  We've grown too far apart.

Flying over the zones misses about 95% of what makes the changes awesome.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4162 on: November 28, 2010, 10:12:02 PM

So far I'm liking the changes, but whoever decided that taking the portals out of Dalaran needs to have an ape cock shot into their mouth with the rest of the ape still attached to it.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #4163 on: November 28, 2010, 10:14:34 PM

...but whoever decided that taking the portals out of Dalaran needs to have an ape cock shot into their mouth with the rest of the ape still attached to it.
I used to be annoyed, but honestly since everything is already in Dalaran now with class and profession trainers and the AH, it's pretty much no real need to have fast travel to another city.  And next week we'll all be off doing our 80-85 grind in the old world and ignoring Dal completely.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4164 on: November 28, 2010, 10:20:13 PM

In about 8 days you're going to go back to Nothrend/Dal for only the following reasons:

1.  Leveling an alt.
2.  Archaeology.
3.  Meaningless shit you didn't get over the past two years.

That's about it.  

They already port us directly into and out of the dungeons.  They already give us the relevant dungeon quests inside the zone itself.  I think it's going to be okay once we get flight going in the old world.  Maybe, just maybe, some semblance of a 'world' might form again without instant travel to anywhere.  

Also, go engineering or roll a mage if you can't deal.  I'm looking forward to being out in the world more...  along with other people.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: