Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL  (Read 169900 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: January 19, 2010, 01:11:08 PM

I was shocked how crappy SD ran the ball. Is the Jets front 4 that good or is LT that old/SD front 4 that mediocre?

The Jets front three.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #666 on: January 19, 2010, 01:34:12 PM

Favre was sacked 34 times this year in the regular season which is above his career average of 28. 2007 he was sacked 15 times.
The increase in sacks may have to do with him taking fewer risks and/or running less.
Yes that was my point. I'm saying his low INTs this year is because he's playing differently. Not because he has better pass protection or something.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: January 19, 2010, 04:13:43 PM

Yes that was my point. I'm saying his low INTs this year is because he's playing differently. Not because he has better pass protection or something.

I misunderstood.  Sorry about that. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #668 on: January 20, 2010, 06:28:11 AM

Also, less fumbles than ever (2). When you factor in age and the intensity he plays at, it's a heck of a thing. There's a reason people like Favre.

Sanchez, Romo, these kids still have a lot to prove. But guys like Manning and Favre deserve to be praised. So long as they don't forget about guys like Sanders, Mathis and Freeney, though they've been getting pretty good coverage this year.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #669 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:47 AM

Bob Sanders has spent half of time injured (literally) since joining the league. A force when he's out there, but it doesn't seem like you can ever count on that.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #670 on: January 20, 2010, 10:27:29 AM

Tony Romo will never amount to a fucking thing.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: January 20, 2010, 10:30:14 AM

Tony Romo will never amount to a fucking thing.

He already has.  That "thing" is a millionaire. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #672 on: January 24, 2010, 06:24:41 PM

I think the Vikings need to fumble more.  ACK!

God Save the Horn Players
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: January 24, 2010, 07:23:44 PM

So glad the Saints won, now Farve can go fuck himself.  Way to throw a pick to end your career.  It's only fitting the 'old gunslinger' goes out like this.
I respect him and his stats but he needs to fucking go away now.

Saints played like shit in the 2nd half but did just enough to win.  Saints are in the Superbowl.  That HAS to be one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: January 24, 2010, 07:37:01 PM

He threw a pick on his last play before his first retirement.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #675 on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:38 PM

The pick to which Chimpy refers is my favorite Favre INT of all time.  why so serious?

The Saints make me nervous about their SB chances, just because when one team turns the ball over a billion times, it prooooobably shouldn't go to OT to decide the other team wins.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: January 24, 2010, 07:44:23 PM

So glad the Saints won, now Farve can go fuck himself.  Way to throw a pick to end your career.  It's only fitting the 'old gunslinger' goes out like this.
I respect him and his stats but he needs to fucking go away now.

Saints played like shit in the 2nd half but did just enough to win.  Saints are in the Superbowl.  That HAS to be one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

As a person who has lived on the Gulf Coast most of his life, I can't tell you how much of an amazing feeling this is. I don't know if we're going to be able to do shit  in the game right now, but this... this is tremendous.

Also twitter is awesome
Congrats to Brett Favre for coming out of retirement and taking the Saints to the Superbowl!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:51:34 PM by sigil »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #677 on: January 24, 2010, 07:56:21 PM

As someone that really found kindred spirits in Saints fans, I wish you guys the best. "Who 'dat" indeed. Good luck boys.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #678 on: January 24, 2010, 09:09:58 PM

WHO DAT, BITCHES!!!!

What a fantastic fucking game. That was exactly the type of nut-clenching game I wanted all year. The two best teams in the NFL going at it to the very end. I've been watching the Saints for 32 years - my first football memory is of watching the Saints play the Lions during Archie Manning's era. And after 25 or more years of sucking major ass, they finally get to the big game. Too damn awesome.

As for Favre, I take great pleasure in knowing that he lost this game and ruined his team's chance to go the Super Bowl in the EXACT SAME WAY he lost it for Green Bay in 2007 - trying to make a play he should never have tried to make and throwing a game-winning drive killing INT. Gunslinger, indeed. You shouldn't have picked the Vikings.

Normally, I'd root for the Colts in the Super Bowl, but it's the Saints. WHO DAT!

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #679 on: January 24, 2010, 09:58:54 PM

If your spin on that game is that Favre lost the game for his team you are smoking some serious crack.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: January 24, 2010, 10:15:26 PM

A first-drive field goal in Overtime deciding one of the teams going to the Super Bowl.

I remember this coming up early in the playoffs as a possible catalyst for a rule change (in a hypothetical Chargers/Colts AFC Championship).  Funny that that game didn't occur, but the exact scenario did.

Grats to the Saints and all, but that's a shit way for a championship game to end.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #681 on: January 24, 2010, 11:30:32 PM

My friend from Minnesota is probably on the verge of suicide tonight.

It wasn't really Favre's interception that really did them in, it was the inexplicable 12 men in the huddle penalty that forced having to do such a play in the first place.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #682 on: January 24, 2010, 11:31:50 PM

I have hated sudden death OT for some time, hopefully they finally fuckin' change it.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: January 25, 2010, 12:49:53 AM

As an uninformed observer, what stops the NFL from going to a system more like the one at the college level?

The Lord of the Land approaches..
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: January 25, 2010, 01:21:02 AM

If your spin on that game is that Favre lost the game for his team you are smoking some serious crack.

Favre didn't have to throw that at all, there was 7 seconds left on the clock and all they needed was a field goal. They only needed about 7-10 yards to make it a manageable FG try.

It wasn't really Favre's interception that really did them in, it was the inexplicable 12 men in the huddle penalty that forced having to do such a play in the first place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQi_wd4ol4

Still it's him running the ball out of bounds enough to make up the 5 yard penalty and they have it. If he weren't gimpy the whole game I'd say he even could've gone for the 1st down. There was no one on the right side.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #685 on: January 25, 2010, 05:34:34 AM

Peterson is a beast on the field, but for the love of god stop fumbling the fucking ball. You are a primary ball carrier and you can seem to CARRY THE BALL.

Good on the Saints. I would have liked to see either team go, but the Superbowl will be a treat. I think Archie hangs himself sometime this week.

The Jets might be back if they can hold the team together. I think Ryan has the swagger of a Parcells and getting that deep in the playoffs should pay off for Sancheezy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: January 25, 2010, 05:59:18 AM

Favre's pick didn't lose that game. Every guy on the offense fumbling at some point lost that game. 12 men in the huddle lost that game. Favre played like a fucking champion even after getting drilled into the ground and needing help to make it to the sideline. This is just petty "I hate Favre" bullshit getting in the way of reality.

The Jets also played better than I expected. They have no reason to hang their head after that game and proved they had every right to be there. I think those that say differently just hoped that the Colts would lose to the Chargers who have a good history of that. But the Chargers lost their right when they stepped on their dick in their game against the Jets, so /shrug. Jets made it and they played pretty damn well.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #687 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:33 AM

By the second half, Favre was all black and blue.  Poor guy got roughed up so much.

But he did Favre the game up at the end.  Seriously, he could of slid from where he was and got enough for the field goal.

Good on the Saints, but I fear that Manning is going to fuck them up badly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #688 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:31 AM

Favre's pick didn't lose that game. Every guy on the offense fumbling at some point lost that game. 12 men in the huddle lost that game. Favre played like a fucking champion even after getting drilled into the ground and needing help to make it to the sideline. This is just petty "I hate Favre" bullshit getting in the way of reality.
This. But I guess they should've handed it to Dropsy McPeterson, right? The game should've been over when Favre could barely walk to the huddle, but he came back and almost won it, ffs. If you can't respect that, you should just stop watching football. Between AP and Favre's injuries, I was sure it was going to be a slaughter, but it went to OT. That's championship football.

And yeah, that 'other' game. Jets have some real potential. Seeing Ryan go apoplectic as his QB got planted without a flag was funny. Colts show how important adjustment and having the smartest QB in the league is.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: January 25, 2010, 07:22:34 AM

I have hated sudden death OT for some time, hopefully they finally fuckin' change it.

Fuck that.  If a team wants to win they should be able to man up and do it in regulation.  If the team doesn't win the coin toss then man up and play some Defense.

Never change it.

And the college system is gay.
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: January 25, 2010, 08:22:12 AM

Fuck that.  If a team wants to win they should be able to man up and do it in regulation.  If the team doesn't win the coin toss then man up and play some Defense.

Never change it.

I agree, in part. A game decided by a coin toss is silly, even more so when you expect an already worn out defense to step up in OT. However, I definitely hate seeing college go back and forth and back and forth until someone fucks up, which is often times the only reason the other team wins, rather than based solely on a coin flip.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: January 25, 2010, 08:26:51 AM

Could just have a kicking contest.  Kick FG's from 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50 yds.  Best of 5 wins.  55 yarder for a tie breaker. 

Most are decided by a FG anyway... why the hell not?

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #692 on: January 25, 2010, 08:36:30 AM

Well, no, actually. Yes, the Vikings fumbled more times than old people having sex. They made some stupid penalties when they didn't need to. And Favre and their defense kept them in that game WAY PAST when they should have been blown out. I mean, come on, 4 fumbles? Two of which killed off drives that should have at least netted them field goals? AP and Percy Harvin should be lined up for every defensive player to slap the shit out of them.

But in the end, AFTER ALL THE FUCKUPS, Favre still had the opportunity to win or lose the game. All he had to do was: 1) run the ball with 10 yards of open space - a bad option considering his ankle was probably held together with duct tape, but still an option, 2) throw the ball in the fucking stands - sure, it makes the field goal tough as hell to make but it doesn't give the Saints the ball back and at least gives them the CHANCE at the field goal. Of course, I can also blame Childress for calling a pass there. With one timeout left, AP in the backfield (or even Chester Taylor), you can run the ball up the gut to set up a better field goal chance.

But instead, Favre tries to be Super-Favre, just like he did in the 2007 game against the Giants, the Saints pick it and end up winning the game. Of course there are a lot more factors, but the final gasp of the Vikings left their collective body on the wings of an ill-advised Favre pick. It's what you get with Favre. He's either going to wow you with some shit he never should have thrown, or he's going to cough up a big INT with some shit he shouldn't have thrown.

EDIT: As for the Jets, yep they showed me something. The Colts did the right thing defensively - they made Sanchez beat them and he couldn't. Give him a few years of seasoning and two healthy running backs and maybe he can. Their defense definitely showed up for as long as they could. After the Jets performance yesterday, I will say that they did deserve to be there, but I still would have preferred to watch Chargers/Colts.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:39:16 AM by HaemishM »

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:43 AM

Never change it.

I hate the college system.

If OT were to change I'd like to see them play a mini-game - 2 10 minute halves…

But the players like the OT rule the way it is… …they don't want to play for a longer period of time.

An interesting proposal I heard from an ESPN radio guy a few months back proposed keeping OT the way it is, but automatically awarding the visiting team 1st ball in OT… …reasoning being that if home team couldn't lick the visitors in regulation, visitors should get opening nod in sudden death OT…

Again, the college system is a joke.

But I wish the NFL would take the one-foot-in rule (especially now with the force-out rule change) and modify pass interference to 15 yards/1st down instead of spot of foul from the college game…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: January 25, 2010, 10:31:38 AM

Could just have a kicking contest.  Kick FG's from 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50 yds.  Best of 5 wins.  55 yarder for a tie breaker. 

Most are decided by a FG anyway... why the hell not?

We wouldn't want kickers making a shit ton of money now would we?  why so serious?

Shoot out in the NFL. Interesting concept: part of me is laughing at the notion but the other part is curious.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #695 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:29 AM

The college system is much better, they should use it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #696 on: January 25, 2010, 11:14:52 AM

The college system is for pussies.  awesome, for real I don't get why sudden death is so bad. Coin flip determines possession, first one to score wins, we go home. Don't get possession? Your defense needs to step up, plain and simple.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #697 on: January 25, 2010, 11:19:13 AM

The college system is for pussies.  awesome, for real I don't get why sudden death is so bad. Coin flip determines possession, first one to score wins, we go home. Don't get possession? Your defense needs to step up, plain and simple.

I don't feel like a RNG element is really particularly appropriate in football, that's all. The coin flip at the start of the game is ok, because it is balanced out by swapping who receives at halftime. With the coin flip, when two teams with good offenses and bad defenses go to overtime, you're essentially assigning one of them to win with the coin flip itself. That's just kind of lame.

You still have the opportunity to step it up on defense and win the game in the other system, and there's no reason you have to start as close to the end zone as they do in college if you want a better test of the defense.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: January 25, 2010, 11:36:09 AM

I have little to add to this thread. I wanted the Saints to win but Favre also earned my respect for showing alot of balls. He got hit what? 15+ times? Had his ankle injured? And he kept playing. That's grit. I can respect that. Yeah, he choked on an important play but that's the breaks.

I do have a question. I thought alot of those hits on Favre would draw a flag for late hits or something? Are they more liberal about that than they used to be? I haven't really watched alot of football in the last few years so my theory is that the pendulum swung back. I remember when if you bumped the QB while running past it'd be a personal foul and all that.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:22 AM

I do have a question. I thought alot of those hits on Favre would draw a flag for late hits or something? Are they more liberal about that than they used to be? I haven't really watched alot of football in the last few years so my theory is that the pendulum swung back. I remember when if you bumped the QB while running past it'd be a personal foul and all that.

It's been inconsistent all season; even so far as to being called differently during the game.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL  
Jump to: