Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:01:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Civilization IV - Firaxis - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization IV - Firaxis - PC  (Read 51992 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #105 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:52 PM

Yeah, I respect FFH2.  But, as has been said, the barrier of entry is much higher simply because all of the names of the technologies are unfettered from reality.  In Civ, you have some idea of what the "horseback riding" tech will garner you, even if you don't understand the exact mechanics of it.  With that said, I never really took the time to delve into it.  Mainly because when and if I play Civ (which is rare) I play online.  The computer AI is too stupid to provide any threat without 'cheating' on harder difficulties.  Humans are much more cut throat than a computer could ever be.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:07:26 PM by dusematic »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #106 on: June 23, 2009, 04:30:06 AM

I love FFH, and everything about it.  But it does fall more into the trap that Samwise complained about (unlike the vanilla civ game, which I think is very mass market, and Sam is crazy).  It is a game of insane depth, and it takes a long god damn time to figure out everything.  Your first few games will always end quickly and badly, usually just from Barbarians alone.  Once you get the hang of it though, theres so much replay value as every race really does play different.

My first attempt at FFH2 the other day went fairly well, although I always feel like I'm cheating when I win a game of Civ IV by getting three cities with Legendary Culture.  It seems like there's some balance issues here and there from what little I've messed with it.  I had one hero or adventurer unit or whatever they're called who single handedly managed to defend himself against what felt like 2-3 dozen enemy units right near the end of the game.  I think he had something like 6-7 first strikes and god knows what else.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 23, 2009, 08:20:28 AM

It seems like there's some balance issues here and there from what little I've messed with it.  I had one hero or adventurer unit or whatever they're called who single handedly managed to defend himself against what felt like 2-3 dozen enemy units right near the end of the game.  I think he had something like 6-7 first strikes and god knows what else.

One mans balance issue is another mans reason to play the game.  Some of my fondest memories of MoM were of having an uber hero run through a stack of the opponents armies without breaking a sweat.  It's the end result of a well played mid-game in my opinion.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
tentimes
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:32 AM

Methinks we need to get someone to your address to give you an injection - Civ 4 is awesome-o :)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 16, 2010, 06:33:20 AM

my what do we have here?

I thought we used to have a little mole smiley?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #110 on: July 16, 2010, 07:43:38 AM

Thanks for posting! See you in 2013 in a 2009 thread!  Thumbs up!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #111 on: July 20, 2010, 07:04:41 PM

my what do we have here?

I thought we used to have a little mole smiley?

Date Registered:     May 17, 2007, 11:55:41 am

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 21, 2010, 06:57:22 AM

So, he'll come back around next year to get post #4?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #113 on: July 21, 2010, 12:24:22 PM

Going to his website explains his posting patterns.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Civilization IV - Firaxis - PC  
Jump to: