Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 788169 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:57 PM

It's an awful release date for me.

Wait, did I miss something?  Did they actually announce the release date?  I was expecting it this week since there's a dead preorder link on the launcher now, but I don't see a date mentioned anywhere.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1261 on: January 03, 2011, 01:54:21 PM

Hasn't the word been Q1 2011? With TOR in "Spring 2011"?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1262 on: January 03, 2011, 02:11:37 PM

I thought you were talking about some specific date, which is what I've been looking for the day or so, ever since I noticed the preorder link in the launcher when I updated yesterday. 

Did dig these up though if anyone cares, CE details:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?16164-Rift-Collector-s-Edition-Details!
http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/exclusives.php
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: January 03, 2011, 04:48:00 PM

I stopped playing the Betas for exactly the reasons you guys say. I've seen enough to pre-order, and assuming its launch doesn't hit at a bad time (WoW. 4.1) I'll probably play it. How sticky it is (for me) will depend largely on the endgame.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1264 on: January 03, 2011, 04:48:43 PM

I played very little in the last beta due to work/holidays, like most folks.  Next one is shaping up to be a bit better for me though, but then again... I'm getting burnt like most folks.  4 betas of essentially the same content-wipes over and over is taxing.  So the PvP will be my focus this time I think, specifically how much actual xp can be gained from it.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: January 03, 2011, 05:37:50 PM

I'm just hoping for two things out of it.  That the warfronts are a viable leveling path, both for xp and gear, and that they level buff your stats like WAR did.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: January 03, 2011, 06:32:40 PM

I can't play ANYTHING like I used to, much less hitting the same content multiple times in a row. I ain't who I was 10 years ago or even 6 when WoW came out. Absolutely I'm having fun with it when I do play new content and fiddle with new classes, regardless of playtime.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: January 03, 2011, 06:50:07 PM

I can't play ANYTHING like I used to, much less hitting the same content multiple times in a row. I ain't who I was 10 years ago or even 6 when WoW came out. Absolutely I'm having fun with it when I do play new content and fiddle with new classes, regardless of playtime.

Someone mentioned last page (Nebu?) about writing an article. Here's a good topic and if I could put thoughts to paper better I'd attempt to write something myself.

Topic: Coming to terms with the fact that you are no longer hardcore.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1268 on: January 03, 2011, 07:01:31 PM

Speaking of articles did Hartsman write a blog after the latest beta?

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:37 PM

Repeating the same lowbie content over and over again will get old pretty fast, this doesn't mean i won't enjoy the rest of it.  This beta weekend has pvp, that's something new.

I believe your characters carry over.

Not really, more like a New Years happy happy message.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?18804-Milestones-Into-the-New-Year&p=370298#post370298

Edit: Forums are down for maintenance.  If you don't mind me linking my own site, here's the post.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:32:53 PM by Draegan »
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #1270 on: January 03, 2011, 08:35:00 PM

Yes, (someone did, at least) but...  The forums are down so you can't read it.  The beginning of it is on their Facebook page:

(Evening, all. Your regularly scheduled Beta 3 wrap-up will come in the form of the Beta 4 preview because of the short cycle. In the meanwhile, here's a brief new years recap and a heads up on a different kind of excitement in the week ahead.) Since we unveiled this game and its universe a

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?18804-Milestones-Into-the-New-Year&p=370298#post370298 - Link when it comes back up.

Edit: Oh look, full text is here: http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/01/03/hartsman-on-beta-3-milestones-into-the-new-year/  Thanks Draegan. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:37:32 PM by Jerrith »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1271 on: January 03, 2011, 10:33:08 PM

Finally got done editing, rendering, encoding, fighting with these videos and got them on Youtube.  

This of the Realm of the Fae dungeon and what might make these videos interesting was that I was main healing as a Chloromancer, a Mage soul.  The first two bosses were fully solo healed by me.  I had help on the last two bosses due to a few server crashes and we had too many healers.

Part 1
Part 2
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1272 on: January 04, 2011, 01:29:01 AM

Topic: Coming to terms with the fact that you are no longer hardcore.

I am still hardcore; it is the world that has gotten soft.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36:53 AM

I'm pretty comfortable with my not hardcore-ness. It's everyone else that seems confused.

Guy: So you playing Rift all weekend?
Me: I'll hop on. I have a level 20 already though so I probably won't play very much.
Guy: So you don't like it?
Me: No, I like it a lot! I just don't want to play it 36 of 48 hours.
Guy: It doesn't sound like you like it very much.
Me: ...
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:29 AM

Launch date announced and what not:

RIFT™ SET TO LAUNCH MARCH 1, 2011

Retail and Digital Pre-Order Start Today

REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. – January 4, 2011 – Trion Worlds, a global publisher and developer of premium online games, today announced that the upcoming MMORPG Rift™ is scheduled to launch in North America on March 1st  and in Europe on March 4th. Today also marks the start of the game’s pre-order program through both digital and retail channels.

“The launch of Rift is the culmination of our tireless efforts over the past several years to bring players the most complete, full-featured, and dynamic online game they’ve ever experienced,” said Lars Buttler, CEO of Trion Worlds. “Through the dedication, creativity, and incredible track record of our veteran development team, we’ve been able to create an exceptionally polished and immersive online world filled with adventure, surprise, and beauty. We can’t wait to share Rift with players around the world.”

Beginning today, customers who pre-order Rift receive their choice of one-of-three exclusive in-game pets, and are eligible to participate in the head-start period anticipated to begin February 24th. Pre-order customers will also be granted access to play in all remaining closed-beta events. Beta details, including a regularly updated event schedule, are available at http://www.RIFTgame.com/beta.

Available for purchase online and at select retail outlets, the Standard, Digital Collector’s and Retail Collector’s Editions of the game will sell for $49.99, $59.99 and $79.99 USD, respectively. The standard monthly subscription rate for the game will be $14.99 USD.

Rift will also offer a limited-time “Founder’s Pricing” for players, featuring a $9.99 USD/month price for a multi-month subscription.  For more information on Founder’s Pricing and subscription details, visit http://www.RIFTgame.com/subscriptions.

For all info on the Collector’s Editions, pre-order incentives, and subscription plans, please visit http://www.RIFTgame.com/preorder.

Rift is rated T for Teen by the ESRB with the following content descriptors: Alcohol Reference, Blood, Mild Language and Violence.

For the latest info on Rift, please visit http://www.RIFTgame.com/.

most often known as Drevik
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1275 on: January 04, 2011, 10:47:16 AM

Cool.  Sooner than I expected, but cool.  They should be ready.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1276 on: January 04, 2011, 10:49:36 AM

Draegan - What are the best sites for learning about this game?  I also want to start looking for a guild for it, where's the best place for that?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: January 04, 2011, 11:03:47 AM

I love Hartsman as much as anyone here, but I'm not reading anything that tells me this will be a smashing success.  Am I jaded in predicting a large number of box sales followed by a gradual decline in subscriptions as bored WoW veterans return to their original crack dealer? 

I'm going to play it at some point, but I'm merely seeing this as a "not-WoW" MMO to try.  Someone fill me with the spirit of a Rifts fanboi.  I really want to believe. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1278 on: January 04, 2011, 11:06:25 AM

"not-WoW"

Don't bank on it.

Me, personally. Its finely crafted game with some solid advancements in the genre. I'm just burned out of this framework of game. Very, very burned out.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1279 on: January 04, 2011, 11:07:46 AM

I meant to say "another WoW-clone that isn't WoW". 

Better?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1280 on: January 04, 2011, 11:08:06 AM

Yeah.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: January 04, 2011, 11:08:13 AM

More like New-Wow, but so far it doesn't have the obvious fuck ups that drove people away from other games like AoC and Warhammer.   Plus that 9.99 sub thing makes it easier to just keep your account open even when you aren't logging in very often.

I am the .00000001428%
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: January 04, 2011, 11:16:23 AM

No. I will not kill Ten Murloc lookalikes. No.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1283 on: January 04, 2011, 11:18:57 AM

More like New-Wow, but so far it doesn't have the obvious fuck ups that drove people away from other games like AoC and Warhammer.   Plus that 9.99 sub thing makes it easier to just keep your account open even when you aren't logging in very often.

So, I'm not seeing how Rifts are any different from scalable PQ's in WAR.  Fun idea at release.  After a month, not so interesting.  Even when WAR scaled things to smaller newbie zone populations, people still were using alternative paths to leveling.  Why will Rifts be different?  No matter how engaging PvE is in these games, it still becomes a repetitive exercise of mashing a select few buttons. 

-  Mark Twain
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1284 on: January 04, 2011, 11:21:58 AM

Edit: Removed pricing info as it was in the big ass post above
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: January 04, 2011, 11:27:58 AM

Draegan - What are the best sites for learning about this game?  I also want to start looking for a guild for it, where's the best place for that?

You can use my site for news information, I've got a dev tracker (which broke due to their forum upgrade, so stay tuned), I've put up a few guides that are more primers than guides.  If you want to start going through a wiki, the best one by far is www.telarapedia.com.  It's still the best resource when it comes to class/soul information at the moment.

If you don't want to use my site for news, the only other sites that are still regularly updating are ZAM's and IGN's Rift sections.

As for guilds, Rift Junkies just started a Guild Database.  I've got about 73 guilds on there already registered so you can start there.  It's very bare bones right now, but we're trying to model it after WOWprogress without the ranking and armory data (since it doesn't exist yet for Rift).  Hopefully it helps/works.

Otherwise there are recruitment threads in my forums as well, but the biggest collection is still probably on the Official Forums.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1286 on: January 04, 2011, 11:37:05 AM

As I said, not a fan of the release date nor the limits on founder's pricing (since I only play at best 6mo/year). Oh well.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1287 on: January 04, 2011, 11:48:46 AM

More like New-Wow, but so far it doesn't have the obvious fuck ups that drove people away from other games like AoC and Warhammer.   Plus that 9.99 sub thing makes it easier to just keep your account open even when you aren't logging in very often.

So, I'm not seeing how Rifts are any different from scalable PQ's in WAR.  Fun idea at release.  After a month, not so interesting.  Even when WAR scaled things to smaller newbie zone populations, people still were using alternative paths to leveling.  Why will Rifts be different?  No matter how engaging PvE is in these games, it still becomes a repetitive exercise of mashing a select few buttons.  

Well they do have zone wide scalable "PQ" invasions that are part raid, part holy fuck.   Essentially none static mobs rush in and kill all NPCs and PCs that are not of the same plane.  So you can get NPC vs. NPC vs. Player (vs. Player if PVP enabled).  It's a truely epic event and that was only in the newbie area.  You're able to participate and get rewards as a solo player or a raider and everything in between.

That's good enough for me.  I'll have some sort of video from the one event from last week sometime soon.  I need more hours in the day.  :/

If you're looking for sandbox, this isn't it.  This is a better WOW in my point of view.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:51:20 AM by Draegan »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1288 on: January 04, 2011, 11:51:49 AM

I think they'll have better retention than AoC or WAR.  Not sure if I'll be participating though.  There are a lot of games I can play these days which don't require a $15 sub.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1289 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:36 AM

So, I'm not seeing how Rifts are any different from scalable PQ's in WAR. 

I'm not seeing why they have to be, PQs are one of the few good points anyone ever brings up about WAR. 

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: January 04, 2011, 11:57:45 AM

I'm not seeing why they have to be, PQs are one of the few good points anyone ever brings up about WAR. 

PQ's were awesome for a week.  After that, it was clearly just a veiled xp grind.  Neat idea for initial impression, but I'm not sold that it has enough to aid in retention.  Games need a hook if they're going to charge a sub fee.  Unless the Rifts are determining world outcomes and events, they're just glorified mob spawn points.  We saw that (to a lesser degree) in SWG.

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1291 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:34 PM

Unless the Rifts are determining world outcomes and events, they're just glorified mob spawn points. 

That's basically what they do.  They are not just static events like in WAR, they move around, they invade quest areas and set up footholds, they take over zones.

I am the .00000001428%
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1292 on: January 04, 2011, 12:04:07 PM

How long I stay subscribed will be based entirely on how well I can level up while completely ignoring quests.  If I can level up on PvP and PQs I may stick around to max level.  After that it depends on how fun the PvP is.  The class/Soul system was enough to get my initial interest.  I'm completely burnt out on quests.  

most often known as Drevik
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: January 04, 2011, 01:01:36 PM

I played WAR (in beta and release) and played Rift (in beta and soon-to-be release) and I can flat out tell you that Rifts are nothing like PQs in WAR.  The Rifts didnt evoke the same feelings I had with PQs at all, even when it came to getting loot (which seems to be a heck of a lot better with Rifts).

The Rifts, as bland and predictable as I thought they'd be, by the 3rd beta were a pretty "in your face" game mechanic.  You HAD to deal with them, it was planar war... and sometimes you had to deal with opposing faction NPCs, and sometimes both.  Sure, you can meander around and just quest-grind, but sooner or later you'll be dodging Regulos' patrols like everyone else, or fighting them back.  Same to be said of guardians/defiants.  There were times when an entire quest area was overrun and I just had to skip the quest or deal with it.  And there were times when you'd be questing and you'd simply get "rift-ganked" and did the same.

I'd say if you were going into the game thinking you could just quest your way through and ignore the Rifts entirely, that you probably shouldn't play.  Also, get used to grouping in some way, shape, or form.  They've balanced the quests to where you can solo MOST of them, but the souls are so varied in their makeup that many times you'll have no choice but to group unless you've just cloned a typical solo-leveling build.  And then of course you'll still have rifts to deal with and slow-spawning quest hubs where it's unrealistic to solo unless you're a soulless huntard tagger.

How long I stay subscribed will be based entirely on how well I can level up while completely ignoring quests.  If I can level up on PvP and PQs I may stick around to max level.  After that it depends on how fun the PvP is.  The class/Soul system was enough to get my initial interest.  I'm completely burnt out on quests. 
Although not my determining factor.  I've been much intrigued with how some guilds will flesh themselves out in regards to this.  Will we see "guardian" guilds?? (policing the rifts and frontlines)  And would they be viable to level under?  Will the endgame farmeage make it worthwhile?  And most importantly, will the GMs crank up the heat when said guilds have the zones in "safemode?"

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1294 on: January 04, 2011, 01:34:54 PM

If all we've seen is newbie minor and major rifts, I want to see level cap raid rifts and invasions.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: