Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 787999 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: May 28, 2009, 11:51:50 PM

Sneak peek just popped up on Spike's e3 preview show last night:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49819.html

and

http://www.heroesoftelara.com/   (site opens June 1)

Apparently these guys (Trion) have raised about $100 million for development of this game along with a few other smaller projects (a TV-based MMO and an MMORTS).  This is the 1st inklings of any kind of real info. on this game and I supposed there will be more as E3 goes on.  It'd be nice to have a quality AAA ultra-high-fantasy title to munch on, but this thing wont be on the plate for another couple of years I'm sure.  And, uhh... who the hell are Trion???

[insert mindless promo-clone]
Redwood City, CA May 6 -Trion World Network will unveil its first videogame, Heroes of Telara™, at E3 2009. Heroes of Telara™ is a fantasy Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) where everyday gamers are forged into legendary heroes. In Heroes of Telara™ players are challenged to conquer the unknown in an epic, ever-changing world. Heroes of Telara™ will feature an unprecedented level of rich and dynamic gameplay, driven by recurring events, unexpected challenges and limitless new content.

"Trion is excited to share what we have been working on and to reveal the universe of Heroes of Telara™," said Russ Brown, vice president, Channel One, Trion. "The team is producing a magnificent new universe in which players can immerse themselves in endless adventure."

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:45:18 AM by Rasix »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:55:19 PM

What the fuck. Where are these people nobody has ever heard of getting funding? In this economy?

EDIT:

Already in place is a high-caliber team from the games, media, and Internet industries. We have worked on, developed, and shipped over 100 original titles, including such bestsellers and hit series as Heroes, Might and Magic, EverQuest, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Lineage, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Pogo, and Sims. Utilizing our proprietary core technologies, we're hard at work on our first titles to be released in North America, Europe, and Asia.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:58:35 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:43:39 AM

What the fuck. Where are these people nobody has ever heard of getting funding? In this economy?

Privately held, Trion has raised funding from investors including Act II Capital, Time Warner, Peacock Equity - the joint venture between GE Commercial Finance's Media, Communications & Entertainment business and NBC Universal - Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments (BDMI) - a wholly owned subsidiary of Bertelsmann AG, a leading international media company-, Rustic Canyon, DCM and Trinity Ventures. For more information, please visit www.trionworld.com

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:48:43 AM

All that money and that's what they come up with. Progress is being made!
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:52:01 AM

I saw Elwynn Forest 2.0 and The Barrens 2.0. Good enough for me. Where do I sign up?  swamp poop

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 04:15:09 AM

I liked the tooth anus monster that landed on the player's head.  Nothing better than being swallowed by something that looks like a rectum. 

Had some neato visuals though.  Hope it's not wow 2.0.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 04:31:27 AM

Graphics style totally reminded me of Fable for some reason.

Not that it's a bad thing. Seems to be done decent enough to warrant at least a closer look.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 08:03:58 AM

The trailer made me think of WoW only with modern shading and textures. Way to piss away $100 million - making another WoW clone. I saw nothing in that trailer that differentiated it from WoW in any way whatsoever.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 08:16:17 AM

The trailer made me think of WoW only with modern shading and textures. Way to piss away $100 million - making another WoW clone. I saw nothing in that trailer that differentiated it from WoW in any way whatsoever.
May well be their intention. "Modern shading and textures" can be just enough difference to get both the people who say "man i'd play WoW but i can't stand these old graphics" and those who say "man i've had enough of WoW (and want another MMO) but i don't want a game that plays worse".
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 08:50:42 AM

Meh.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 08:51:33 AM

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:56 AM

Remember when WoW and EQ2 came out around the same time, and the latter ended up as a smear on the bottom of Blizzard's boots? Yeah, I think I know who'll be playing the role of SOE when World of Starcraft comes out.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 09:00:58 AM

Trion's Austin office is like 2 miles from me. But then, most of the MMOG offices down here are within 10 miles, so I suppose that isn't shocking.

They've actually been at this for a while. Long before the economy took a giant bite out of itself.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:16:06 AM

How long is awhile?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 09:19:31 AM

I dont mind the game looking like WoW w/perdy graphics as long as it's truly high Fantasy and has mechanics that work and are fun.  WoW is not high fantasy and as we know (even with all its success) is quite a joke of a game mechanically.

Let's be real:  if Vanguard had released completely finished, with all the barrens actually filled in with "stuff" and not looking like a shitstain with glowy pixels, it'd quite possibly be a respectable title (at least for a time).  If Trion's aiming to succeed where Vanguard failed then I think they have a good plan.... basically, it needs to be Vanguard+AoC+WoW = !suck while simultaneously leeching off of WoW burnouts once the game fizzles.  (and WoW WILL fizzle, eventually)

I just dont think the fantasy genre has been played-out yet, especially since it's not really been done right.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 09:32:01 AM

Let's be real:  if Vanguard had released completely finished, with all the barrens actually filled in with "stuff" and not looking like a shitstain with glowy pixels, it'd quite possibly be a respectable title (at least for a time).

No, it wouldn't. It's time was 1998.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 09:34:53 AM

Not sure how we got from a short video showing some landscapes, to "Vanguard".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:38:53 AM

People love to throw money away.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 09:53:30 AM

I liked the look of the game.  We have no idea if it's going to be DIKU though (probably will be).  I'll play a new WOW with better graphics and new classes etc, so will a lot of people.

I hope they succeed, but we could always use another game company to laugh at.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:55:41 AM

Just making Fantasy comparisons, that's how.  It has nothing to do with anything more specific than that.
It was just to point out the void that still exists for a quality western-style AAA high fantasy game; even done DIKU style.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 10:17:08 AM

I actually thought it looked more like Guild Wars more than anything else, style-wise.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 10:18:59 AM

Just making Fantasy comparisons, that's how.  It has nothing to do with anything more specific than that.
It was just to point out the void that still exists for a quality western-style AAA high fantasy game; even done DIKU style.

Oh,m well on the flip side. Looks like all vets can try vanguard for free for a month. look at your subscription page over at SOE.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 10:19:26 AM

How long is awhile?
Trion was founded in part by John Van Caneghem (Might and Magic series) and Lars Buttler (EA) but John is no longer there. They've been around since late 2006...so around 2.5 years or so.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 10:33:45 AM

is there PvP?

also

is this New CokeTM?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:20 AM

Vanguard is the new UO, except no one ever enjoyed Vanguard.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 10:50:35 AM

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:56:58 AM

I dont mind the game looking like WoW w/perdy graphics as long as it's truly high Fantasy and has mechanics that work and are fun.  WoW is not high fantasy and as we know (even with all its success) is quite a joke of a game mechanically.

Huh?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 11:06:37 AM

Don't you know Ghambit is like DLRiley but with clownshoes?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 11:48:01 AM

Huh?

What are you "huhhing" for?  Did that statement go over your head?  If you disagree, say why...

-DLRiley+clownshoes

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 11:58:13 AM

The heck? How is anyone except people asleep for the last five years not going to look at that and say Unknown IP + Unknown company + carboncopylook = << WoW? And they got how much in investment?

The game looks fine, but the trailer showed the same games we've been playing for ten years, when the last four of them have been dominated by the one title that still has too many competitive advantages.

Are they trying for a strong China play hoping that the new WoW operators bork it enough to chase people into a new almost-but-not-exactly-like WoW?
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 12:07:44 PM

So this makes what...

Copernicus, The Secret World, Warhammer 40k, World of Darkness, TOR, and this guy launching within (ballpark guess) 18 months of each other or so? It's gonna be a fucking madhouse come 2011 - 2012.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 12:17:20 PM

The heck? How is anyone except people asleep for the last five years not going to look at that and say Unknown IP + Unknown company + carboncopylook = << WoW? And they got how much in investment?

The game looks fine, but the trailer showed the same games we've been playing for ten years, when the last four of them have been dominated by the one title that still has too many competitive advantages.

Are they trying for a strong China play hoping that the new WoW operators bork it enough to chase people into a new almost-but-not-exactly-like WoW?

I guess it has something to do with the length of time it takes to make MMOs. When they start, and make a look, its "original", by the time it comes out, or starts to see the light of day again....there have already been 5 others that came and went.

Just a theory.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 12:22:20 PM

Let me summarize for you, Darniaq:  Meh

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 12:25:07 PM

But but, does it have twitch!

(and I'm semi-serious. If it's just hotkey button mashing against a GCD, worse off for them).

I guess it has something to do with the length of time it takes to make MMOs. When they start, and make a look, its "original", by the time it comes out, or starts to see the light of day again....there have already been 5 others that came and went.

Just a theory.
They started making this 23 months after WoW broke every record there was. Your hypothesis would be more a propos for AoC... or Duke Nukem Forever before it died smiley
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 12:26:43 PM

What are you "huhhing" for?  Did that statement go over your head?  If you disagree, say why...

-DLRiley+clownshoes

You make some strange, completely arbitrary comment like, "Well, as long as it's high fantasy it will do great."

Whatever the fuck that actually means.

And then follow it up with, "WoW is not high fantasy" and, "is a joke mechanically"

Which again is based on some odd little definition of high fantasy that lives ONLY in your mind combined with some whoknowswhatthefuckyoumean mechanically statement.

How is that comment not clownshoes?  In the full, not really funny but actually kind of sad, definition of clown shoes.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: