Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: War is everywhere... cut that out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War is everywhere... cut that out  (Read 76380 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 07:06:52 AM

Or am I wrong?

There exists no scenario where having a 6 month sub to WAR is a good or reasonable thing.  why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 07:11:55 AM

... and again, this isn't the kind of thing you test on a live server.
Unless the test server has population issues, I don't see what good the test server is going to do.  Testing teleporter mechanics is easy enough, it's the effects on server crashing battles that they wish to test.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:25:12 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 07:13:37 AM

I'd be embarrassed to recruit one person to the game, let alone six, even if I got a free month for it.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 07:22:29 AM

Or am I wrong?

There exists no scenario where having a 6 month sub to WAR is a good or reasonable thing.  why so serious?

I was posting from the Bizarro world where WAR was popular, the servers didn't threaten to crash when 50 people got together and getting that special mount was desirable.  why so serious?

Were I a cynical man, I'd suspect this program was just a cheap grab at numbers before the end of an accounting period...

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 07:24:31 AM

Were I a cynical man, I'd suspect this program was just a cheap grab at numbers before the end of an accounting period...

BLASPHEMY!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:53 AM

Unless the test server has population issues, I don't see what good the test server is going to do.  Testing teleporter mechanics is easy enough, it's the effects on server crashing battles that they wish to test.

You can throttle the server to make it do overpop crashes. Well, most companies can...
Mavor
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 07:47:12 AM

I just want to clarify that I am not a fanboi. In fact, I quit WAR three months ago for similar reasons to the majority of posters on this board. However, I think it's important to retain a little bit of objectivity from time to time.

If Mythic really could detect when a server crash is imminent, then is moving players out of the zone preferable to allowing the zone to crash? I hope more people on this board try to keep their objectivity intact instead of jumping on the bash bandwagon.

Oh and, the higher speed mount idea is clownshoes. Mythic should have gone with a non-balance related item/thing instead.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:55 AM

I just want to clarify that I am not a fanboi. In fact, I quit WAR three months ago for similar reasons to the majority of posters on this board. However, I think it's important to retain a little bit of objectivity from time to time.

If Mythic really could detect when a server crash is imminent, then is moving players out of the zone preferable to allowing the zone to crash? I hope more people on this board try to keep their objectivity intact instead of jumping on the bash bandwagon.

Oh and, the higher speed mount idea is clownshoes. Mythic should have gone with a non-balance related item/thing instead.
Don't be a Mark Jacobs and try to indent your paragraphs.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 08:01:00 AM

Quote from: Mythic Staff
I understand some people may find giving out slightly faster mounts causes some huge shift in power to those people but the fact is there are very few of them out there. This will cause very little to no advantage for those players overall.

Yeah.  As everyone knows, greater mobility has no impact at all in PvP!

Over and out.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 08:12:21 AM

No, because most people have already learned to deal with the crashing (as sad as that sounds). Mythic failed to address the issue time and time again so people adapted. Breaking up group and warband integrity with porting is completely idiotic at best.

The bottom line is they touted this as an epic RvR game, it's not. WAR is everywhere, it's not. Barnett is beyond unprofessional, so is Jacobs. Jacobs is eating his words now which is why he is probably off hiding somewhere and letting his team pull these retarded "band aid" fixes to problems. That or he is in meetings with EA explaining how this awesome IP turned into a shit game with his nuts over a fire.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 29, 2009, 08:22:52 AM

The problem has been around since launch, their first "fix" was to cap the number of each side that can be present at a Fort and included with that anyone <Rank 37 cant come basically.  That fix went in what?  December?  The game is about 6 months live now and they are instead of having these server crash/lag issues resolved(which should of been plenty of time) putting another bandaid on one of the biggest issues in the game.  I can live with some of the other problems but when a PvP game cant handle anything more then about 80 people in a given location that should be a top priority for resolution.  Im hoping that at the upcoming event they are attending that people hammer them about this problem.  Literally, bring a hammer, hit Paul in the head...hard
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:23 AM

That's very tempting. I am only about a 20m drive from the Baltimore Convention Center...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 29, 2009, 08:39:18 AM

The only possible excuse for knowing when the software will crash but not fix the actual crash is if i'ts running out of memory, and even then there are things you can do and your programming effort is better spent fixing the cause.
Three star talent isn't going to be able to deal with optimizing memory or finding memory leaks.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:31 AM

I actually sincerely apologized to my best friend a while back for convincing him to try WAR. It just felt like the honourable thing to do.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 29, 2009, 09:16:39 AM

A 70% speed mount isn't going to matter much for Keeps, but it will matter for BO flipping.  A faster mounted force would be able to put more BO's in play, and would have an easier time defending BO's.  But if BO's are guarded by competent forces and don't get zerged down, then even that mount speed could be offset.

I sure as hell don't like ranking up my guild just to get a shitter mount than if I recruited 6 players, but there's no way I'd pay 100 bucks just to get a mount that won't make much of a difference.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 29, 2009, 09:23:07 AM

I actually sincerely apologized to my best friend a while back for convincing him to try WAR. It just felt like the honourable thing to do.

Just letting you know that you aren't the only one who has done that, I also apologized to the couple of RL friends and long time guild mates after month 3. I still feel like a prick since most of the people I know bought CE's.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 29, 2009, 09:49:07 AM

Looks like they are removing the Winds of Shit ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=winds%20of%20shit ) from Dark Crag.

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=767

Today, 4/29/09, all North American and Oceanic servers will be brought offline at 9:00 AM EDT for an update. We anticipate all servers to be back online by 1:00 PM EDT. This update will improve City Instances and server stability; in addition the Winds of Change feature will be removed from Dark Crag during this downtime.

edit: got damn it i'm an entire page late.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:52:21 AM by Nija »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #87 on: April 29, 2009, 11:32:14 AM

If Mythic really could detect when a server crash is imminent, then is moving players out of the zone preferable to allowing the zone to crash?

Actually, it would be better to allow the servers to crash because the logs your server should be keeping should give you some fucking clue about WHY the server is crashing, thus allowing a competent set of programmers to fix the fucking crashing problem.

I believe if you parse that sentence enough, you can see why Mythic chose not to do it that way.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 29, 2009, 12:06:49 PM

I've figured it out.

War is supposed to be EVERYWHERE. Not all bunched up in one place at a time.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #89 on: April 29, 2009, 01:25:41 PM

Yeah it's the limitations of the engine, anything they do at this point is just sticking high heels on a midget.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 29, 2009, 01:50:05 PM

Little Person.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #91 on: April 29, 2009, 02:31:16 PM

via VN thread
"We are limited in what we can currently do in a limited timeframe to improve server stability"

Translation:

EA: "Fix it or I will find someone who can."

MJ: "Paul's working on it"

EA: "Only thing he should be working on is his resume."

MJ: "Josh then."

EA: "Isn't he too busy tweeting?"

MJ: "There's always Jeff."

EA: "Hand me a frigging pie"

MJ: "I could give it a go"

EA: "Where the heck did I put Lum's phone number?"

well played  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 29, 2009, 03:23:23 PM

Yeah it's the limitations of the engine, anything they do at this point is just sticking high heels on a midget.

That beats lipstick on a pig. Here's hoping we hear this one in the next election.

Unless the test server has population issues, I don't see what good the test server is going to do.  Testing teleporter mechanics is easy enough, it's the effects on server crashing battles that they wish to test.

You can throttle the server to make it do overpop crashes. Well, most companies can...

3-star talent says, "Fairness algorithm: materialize a chair behind every player and kick whoever sits down last..."

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #93 on: April 29, 2009, 03:27:05 PM

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 29, 2009, 03:36:59 PM

Does this mean we should expect a DAoC expansion soon?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 29, 2009, 06:12:31 PM

Having looked at the Recruit-A-Friend deal, you get 30 free days of play time for each new player you recruit. You need to recruit six players to get the mount. The player has to start a trial, then buy a full version of the game. Looks like somewhere around $40 a copy, so that would be $240, minus $90 (6 x $15) for the play time you'd get for your main account, so $150 for a 70% speed mount.

... unless (it seems) you went to somewhere like Amazon where dealers appear to be selling new copies cheap. 6 copies plus shipping at the cheap end comes in at $84, so your main would actually be $6 better off over six months (those 30 days per recruited player going to your main account, the 6 x $15 = $90 you'd otherwise pay for those six months) plus get the faster mount. Seems like a good deal for hardcore PvPers to go through that hassle.

Or am I wrong?

You are not wrong.  If I still played, I would do that.  Any sort of mount speed increase, at all, is huge.

Seriously, though...what the fuck?  Recruiting-obtainable only mounts in a PvP game?  EA needs to fire everyone at Mythic or get them in a varnish rehab center.  Whichever is faster. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Mavor
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 29, 2009, 08:15:29 PM

If I were you, instead of spending 100$ for a stupid mount I would just start up one of the numerous position/speed hacks that exist for WAR and boost your mount speed up to 80% or something. If Mythic can't bother to put any position checks into the game to detect cheating, you might as well punish them for it. It's the best way to get results.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 29, 2009, 08:19:08 PM

-  Mark Twain
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #98 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:06 PM

Reading that thread it sounds more like the lag used him. What a colossal fuck up this game is right now.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #99 on: April 30, 2009, 04:43:45 AM

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 30, 2009, 05:12:43 AM

As of 2 days ago I decided to stop doing RvR and just do scenarios until this is fixed(if ever) or until Aion comes out :P.  There have been so many people in T4 RvR that even BO taking has become laggy and as a melee I cant compete with all the AE classes and just get raped.  Hard to get reknown when you are rank 65
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #101 on: April 30, 2009, 09:02:54 AM

Note, the above quote is about DAoC, it looks like a similar setup for WAR, link.  So yeah, I think when the WAR servers started crashing they probably had to open a support call about it.

Nope. Gamebryo was only used for client technology, and there were folks there who knew as much about its inner workings as the folks at Emergent. The server tech was entirely developed in house and I'm almost 100% positive that is the case for Warhammer as well.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #102 on: April 30, 2009, 09:04:09 AM

Question for you Mavor:  How many other major mmo's had to create contingency plans for the imminent crashing of their servers? 

As mentioned, AC1 and AC2 both had this. I seem to remember UO also had "portal storms" as well when massive users overwhelmed the server.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #103 on: April 30, 2009, 09:20:22 AM

via VN thread
"We are limited in what we can currently do in a limited timeframe to improve server stability"

Translation:

EA: "Where the heck did I put Lum's phone number?"

well played  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

LEAVE ME OUT OF IT
i already have a job breaking someone else's stuff k thnx
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 30, 2009, 09:48:30 AM

I seem to remember UO also had "portal storms" as well when massive users overwhelmed the server.

I still have screen shots somewhere of me fire fielding a portal storm.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: War is everywhere... cut that out  
Jump to: