Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of the game [Fucked] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of the game [Fucked]  (Read 116372 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #70 on: March 13, 2009, 04:32:10 PM

I am not sure I believe that the statement was a dig on Bliz.  More like "EA hasn't shifted all our resources to Sims3, honest!" to me.
Would be pretty dumb for it to be the dig on Blizzard when WoW has been maintained for 4 years so far since launch. He can start taking digs around 2012, if they're still actively updating Warhammer by then.

Of course, it being pretty dumb doesn't at all rule out this is actually the case why so serious?
Mavor
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 13, 2009, 07:19:37 PM

I just got this in the mail with a free re-up trial:
Draegan of Order   
   You are ordered by Karl Franz himself to return to the front lines! As a loyal soldier in the armies of Order, your strength is needed once again! There is no time for rest at rank 26. Speed your journey to the campaign with increased experience in Tier 3. Your friends Remember, Glooom and Jalor are still in the battle! Rise now, and bear the standard of Wyrd to the very heart of The Inevitable City! To arms, and to glory!

And I just wanted to add, that if we look at this advertisement from the marketing/pr perspective of the company, it's pretty damn good. Fits the atmosphere of WAR very well, encourages players to resub, and has the solution to many peoples problems (a promise of faster leveling = solution to long grind). So, at least from the PR/Marketing side of Mythic, I think they are doing a pretty damn good job.

Now if only the companies leadership would do as well.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #72 on: March 14, 2009, 05:22:28 AM

awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:33 AM

On the advertising/marketing/PR note, the cards they mailed out to the heavy blogs for Valentines day was pretty damn neat. Cheap, effective, and overall looks like they did a good job with them. They had the riddles on them and I believe some folks received hints for the Slayer class which was neat too.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #74 on: March 14, 2009, 06:34:19 AM

Some of the viral marketing stuff WAR has been using has been very good.

But again, that's the sizzle, not the sausage.

schild
Administrator

Reply #75 on: March 14, 2009, 06:45:10 AM

WAR has viral marketing?

Edit: You know what, I don't like doing this, but in this case it's entirely fair considering I, you know, run a gaming site that has a laser focus on MMORPGs and their ilk - if they have viral marketing, it's total shit SIMPLY because I haven't heard of it. If you can't reach me, well, lol.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #76 on: March 14, 2009, 06:46:13 AM

That's what they called sending hair dye to the blogs.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #77 on: March 14, 2009, 07:10:15 AM

That's what they called sending hair dye to the blogs.

Yes, this is what I meant. Sending favoured bloggers something they knew would get blogged, then having those blogs popularised by other blogs / gaming sites.

schild
Administrator

Reply #78 on: March 14, 2009, 07:12:41 AM

That's not even a little bit viral. Yes yes, I know we're arguing the definition of viral here, but I'm pretty sure things like I Love Bees sets the bar for it.

In gaming, any blog that gets favored by devs is going to get attention. Of course, maybe you consider f13 getting attention from Mark to be a viral marketing scheme. Who knows. But really, if you send or do anything that's targeting any blog, the rest of the gaming world will pick it up. I'd label it the GAF/Kotaku Effect, but neither of them need their ego stroked.

For example, much like CheapyD and that fake leak thing he did a while ago, I'm pretty sure I've got enough cred that I could post a totally fake interview with someone important and everyone would pick it up. My credibility would be shot but it would prove my point (and you know it  DRILLING AND MANLINESS).
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #79 on: March 14, 2009, 07:14:45 AM

I Love Bees sets the bar for it.

I'm fairly certain that WAR has proved it's willingness to lower all bars it encounters.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #80 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:11 AM

I Love Bees sets the bar for it.
I'm fairly certain that WAR has proved it's willingness to lower all bars it encounters.
Touche, Shakespeare, touche.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #81 on: March 14, 2009, 02:06:49 PM

Edit: You know what, I don't like doing this, but in this case it's entirely fair considering I, you know, run a gaming site that has a laser focus on MMORPGs and their ilk - if they have viral marketing, it's total shit SIMPLY because I haven't heard of it. If you can't reach me, well, lol.

Not only are you not the only website with "a laser focus on MMORPGs and their ilk", you run a forum that is openly hostile to Warhammer. So no, you don't get the shiny swag.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 14, 2009, 02:41:00 PM

Not only are you not the only website with "a laser focus on MMORPGs and their ilk", you run a forum that is openly hostile to Warhammer. So no, you don't get the shiny swag.

We're not "openly hostile".  We're "usefully cynical".   why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #83 on: March 14, 2009, 03:06:44 PM

Is that a confession that you're working for Mythic?  Ohhhhh, I see.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #84 on: March 14, 2009, 03:39:10 PM

Lum has already failed to deny that he works for Blizzard now.  awesome, for real

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 14, 2009, 04:41:25 PM

Hi has also failed to deny he works for SoE, funcom, CCP, turbine, etc...

my bet is SoE, Eq3 fueled by LumVision   why so serious?
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #86 on: March 14, 2009, 06:59:30 PM

Is that a confession that you're working for Mythic?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hah! I don't get the shiny swag either   awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #87 on: March 14, 2009, 07:51:08 PM

I'm pretty sure we've called Mark a cockgobbling douchebag more than enough to be on his shit list rather than his secret viral swag list.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 15, 2009, 03:37:41 AM

I'm pretty sure we've called Mark a cockgobbling douchebag more than enough to be on his shit list rather than his secret viral swag list.

I'm certain you are on Mark's shortlist to send secret viral swag.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: March 15, 2009, 06:40:19 AM

Let's not pretend that this Jacobs hathos started in a vacuum or anything. Back in beta people were very much defending WAR, myself included, because the potential was there. It wasn't until a string of facepalm decisions and statements that the knives were sharpened to a fine point.

Also: GEE WHIZ! WHAT CHANGED SUDDENLY BETWEEN BETA AND RELEASE THAT COULD HAVE PISSED PEOPLE OFF? I WONDER WHAT CHANGED SO RAPIDLY!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 15, 2009, 07:12:40 AM

I just got this in the mail with a free re-up trial:
Draegan of Order   
   You are ordered by Karl Franz himself to return to the front lines! As a loyal soldier in the armies of Order, your strength is needed once again! There is no time for rest at rank 26. Speed your journey to the campaign with increased experience in Tier 3. Your friends Remember, Glooom and Jalor are still in the battle! Rise now, and bear the standard of Wyrd to the very heart of The Inevitable City! To arms, and to glory!

Hang on...

You are ordered by Karl Franz himself to return to the front lines! As a loyal soldier in the armies of Order, your strength is needed once again! There is no time for rest at rank 26. Speed your journey to the campaign with increased experience in Tier 3

There is no time for rest at rank 26. Speed your journey to the campaign with increased experience in Tier 3

Speed your journey to the campaign with increased experience in Tier 3

your journey to the campaign with increased experience

Here was me thinking we'd done away with this 'grind-for-40-levels-before-admission-to-the-real-game-only-max-level-counts' bullshit?

Guess not.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:08 AM

Can anyone tell me how much of a xp boost T3 got?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:58 AM

If I could be bothered to go back and confirm my admitedly faulty memory of the patch notes Arthur posted... something pathetic (considering it needed to be 100% plus), like 10-20%.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 15, 2009, 10:59:43 AM

Let's not pretend that this Jacobs hathos started in a vacuum or anything. Back in beta people were very much defending WAR, myself included, because the potential was there. It wasn't until a string of facepalm decisions and statements that the knives were sharpened to a fine point.

Also: GEE WHIZ! WHAT CHANGED SUDDENLY BETWEEN BETA AND RELEASE THAT COULD HAVE PISSED PEOPLE OFF? I WONDER WHAT CHANGED SO RAPIDLY!

Sadly there wasn't enough kids in beta calling bullshit on mythic changes. The pve xp decrease was suppose to funnel more people into rvr according to the logic the fanbois kept spouting anytime someone tried to explain how dumb that change was. Even till today any xp increase to pve is considered game destroying, along with any attempt to funnel people away from banging their dicks against a keep door.The beta was filled to the brim with fanbois, mythic listened to fanbois, fanbois are the only ones still playing. mythic is obviously not listening to anyone sensible, but for their credit, there wasn't enough sensible people willing to start flame wars with the fanbois.

Here is some examples;
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266401
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267565
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:22:54 AM by DLRiley »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 15, 2009, 11:26:27 AM

I resubbed for the 10 day free deal.  I played two nights and realized "same as it ever was" and quit. 

1) Serious balance issues.
2) Still takes WAY too long to level.
3) Gear still plays too dominant a role for a pvp game.
4) Said gear in 3) requires a lot of pve for a pvp game.
5) Players still look for the easiest way to get rps rather than engaging in war.

Meh.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 15, 2009, 11:29:06 AM

So when you canceled, did it start your subscription like their poorly worded e-mail said, or did it actually cancel?  (You did cancel, right?)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 15, 2009, 11:46:01 AM

So when you canceled, did it start your subscription like their poorly worded e-mail said, or did it actually cancel?  (You did cancel, right?)

I think it cancelled.  I got an email from Mythic confirming cancellation. 

If I get a bill in 7 days, I'll let you know.

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #97 on: March 15, 2009, 12:53:20 PM

What tier were you playing Nebu?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:30:40 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 15, 2009, 01:27:40 PM

What tier where you playing  Nebu?

All of them.  I player the top tier on my RP, the third tier on a sorc, the second tier on my zealot, and the bottom tier on a few of the new classes.

EDIT: in my opinion, tiers 1 & 2 were still the most fun.  This was also part of the problem for me.  If I have to grind to an endgame, it should probably be the most fun part of the game.  If it is... I'm not getting it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:21:00 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 15, 2009, 02:27:57 PM

Have they added an /xpoff yet?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 15, 2009, 02:54:04 PM

Have they added an /xpoff yet?

Not that I saw.  I hope they never do.  The lower tier bg's are already filled with twinks making the tier hell for anyone new to the game. 

-  Mark Twain
Ossigor
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 15, 2009, 07:42:49 PM

I recently subbed again and the game feels the same as it used to. The UI is still unresponsive, if you want to make sure your skills go off you have to spam each key repeatedly. Which in turn results in your character doing crazy animations out of sync with what skill you're using.

I did notice way more people in Open RvR. The 'RvR lake Tier Influence Rewards' apply to each racial pairing, so there's plenty of loot to be had just by PVPing. The thing is, its still mostly a game of trading keeps and BOs. On occasion you'll have some pretty epic battles but it comes down to numbers and who's gear is better.

Given that the RvR warbands hop from pairing-to-pairing nonstop to keep swap, your Tier Influence hardly raises. You do get a lot of exp for player kills in oRvR lands, but they need a way to funnel people together to create more battles. Defending a keep isn't really worth the effort.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 15, 2009, 10:02:43 PM

Someone should change the thread title to:

State of the game: fucked.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 16, 2009, 01:41:09 AM

I resubbed begining of March because I wanted something to play and I though maybe they improved the game. Also I wanted to try the choppa.
Well they did on a few front improve it but not quite enough.

The stuttering and performance issues are mostly gone, for me at least.
The UI issues are mostly gone as well, no more clicking morale 100 times to launch it.
The combat animation and stuff feels less disconnected from your actions but its not quite perfect.

Once I figured that and have done a few scenarios, the game still has that little thing I can't quite describe but that spoils the fun for me.

Cancelled my subscription and will probably never return to this game..
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 16, 2009, 04:06:24 AM

Just when I thought Mythic couldn't really fuck anything else up, people are realizing that having too many alts is now hurting guild rank progression. So folks are getting on, getting invited into the guilds, playing and then leaving the guild when they log off if they don't intend to be on that same character within a few days. Sigh.

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/110482407/p1

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of the game [Fucked]  
Jump to: