Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 300632 times)
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:45 AM

Resubbed Friday to get the 10 free days and the double xp and renown this weekend. All three lower tiers were busy and I had a lot of fun. Well, minus the bout of RvE (Realm vs Environment... Realm vs Door... however you want to put it) that happened on Sunday morning. Other than that, lots of PvP action going on. Good stuff. I like leveling via RvR. I also like that the new producer is focused on that aspect of the game. Hope it goes good places. If not, oh well. Lots of other games coming out and still others that I haven't played in a while.

I'll probably give this the 30 days I subbed for.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: August 23, 2010, 10:42:05 AM

I hope you did refer a friend.  (Though it wasn't me.  Cry)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:17 AM

I hope you did refer a friend.  (Though it wasn't me.  Cry)

The answer is no, but I should have and for some reason didn't think of it. Fuck.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #458 on: August 25, 2010, 05:09:38 AM

Mark Jacobs - It’s been a very long, boring, sad, happy, enlightening, interesting and deeply ironic year

Folks,

Well, the title pretty much says it all. Since EA and I parted ways last summer I have been on an enforced vacation (contracts are a b**** aren’t they?) and as always, I honored mine to both the letter and spirit of the law. Well, they have now expired, been made extinct, gone buh-bye and I’m free to do and say whatever I feel like. However, as has been made clear by some of our political leaders, there is a wide gap between having the freedom to do something and actually doing it. So, for now I’ll do as I have done in the past and take the high road whenever possible.

So, what does this mean? Well, I don’t know actually. I think it’s time to get back to work and maybe do a little writing here. I still have some thank yous to get to (I’ll sort of explain the delay in an upcoming post) and try to find the time to comment on a few things that have been going on in our world.

For those that have wondered where I’ve been, who have wished me well, who have sent me their thanks and yes, even those that have thrown some rotten fruit my way, you all have my thanks.

Mark

Regarding Electronic Arts

In terms of WAR, well, given the historical failure rate of MMORPGs (more on this another day), the fact that WAR was developed in only 3 years (compare and contrast to other already launched titles), is still operating, had to launch directly against a WoW expansion, sold a hefty amount of copies, was one of the highest rated MMOs to date, etc. is something to be proud of regardless.  I am also proud that during my time at EA I never once sought promotion, raises, super-special perks, more power, etc. all I cared about was trying to deliver a top title for EA.  I felt that doing anything else would be a disservice to the company and to the team that bought Mythic in 2006.  My mission was to help get WAR out the door and anything that could distract me from that I wanted no part of.

Nice to see Mark back online, there's not much detail on what went wrong with WAR.  There's an interview with massively in addition to the recent flurry of blog postings thanking people Mythic used to do business with (read into that what you will).

From the interview, I liked this whole paragraph (hindsight and all that, but two realms was highlighted as an issue here, right from the start in 2005).  I should repost this quote in the Dark Millennium Online thread, I wonder if part of the reason DAoC worked better for RVR was that they put more thought in RVR just because it's obvious that three requires a lot more effort than two.

Jacobs: I love PvE games but I knew that going against the PvE champ EQ was a losing proposition. We didn't have the time and money to try to beat EQ so, borrowing an old baseball axiom, I wanted us to "hit it where it ain't" and we did. As to the RvR format, credit for that idea goes, as it always has, to the guys at Kesmai who created Air Warrior. As a long time player and fan of that game, I saw the advantages of having three realms that fight against each other. So, once I knew that I wanted an RvR game, I knew I needed the IP to go with it and well, as above, the shower led the way.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:20:49 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:55 AM

He knew that back with EQ and DAoC, but decided taking on WoW was okay with WAR?  And then...

Facepalm

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: August 25, 2010, 05:59:43 AM

I personally hope that Mark is allowed to make a 3 realm pvp game.  Sure, it may have its problems... but it would likely be better than any other pvp title available. 

I want DAoC 2 damnit.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: August 25, 2010, 06:26:56 AM

I want DAoC 2 damnit.

Yes, please.

I'm still playing a bit, but really, that key lack of a third realm really makes this game less than what it could be and I'm already getting bored. It's definitely gotten better as far as stability goes. I also like that they're pushing RvR as their focus. But I don't think it'll ever be what it could be without a third realm. Occasionally it gets really good when both sides are fighting over a spot in the sand. But mostly, it's back and forth keep takes without much in the way of fighting. A third realm would go a long way to solving that issue.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:30:22 AM by Brogarn »
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: August 25, 2010, 02:22:10 PM

He knew that back with EQ and DAoC, but decided taking on WoW was okay with WAR?  And then...

Facepalm

Never has a facepalm been more apt.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #463 on: August 26, 2010, 01:29:34 AM

Interview Gamescon with Carrie Couskos and Andy Belford

RVR Pack (maybe this year, not an expansion), new high level armour in higher RVR ranks, a lot to help players get through lower levels RVR more easily.

New zone, RVR only, part of campaign.  Skaven not playable as a race from 1-40, no Skaven careers, Skaven are focused on RVR, going to be unique.  People can pay for what they want.  MMO Industry is shifting, 3 pieces of first pack, power, progression and personality.  After Carrie saying no more normal patches, we are concentrating purely on RVR pack, a few minutes later is asked if this is the end of free content and says no  my what do we have here?  New paid for services, server merges mentioned as part of that?  Beating a Dead Horse

Russia servers merging from two to one, this is apparently because Russia is huge and has lots of time zones. Facepalm

I only made it halfway though the interview, it's not that what they are doing with the game is all wrong it's just you sorta feel sorry for them.  The big thing recently was that WAR is profitable (presumably excluding the costs for over 3 years of development), now they intend to charge for downloadable content that inproves RVR.  So it's like a paid expansion without a box on the shelves and I guess without the amount of content you would see in a normal expansion, but you can pick the bits you like.

Edit to add.
GRTV chats with Carrie Goukos

Ok now I don't feel that sorry for Carrie, boy is she touchy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:52:26 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #464 on: August 26, 2010, 12:26:31 PM

people are still mad at PB and MJ.  That's how a lot of people remember WAR -- being pissed with MJ and disgusted by PB.  But add the credit card billing fiasco that happened on her watch and yeah -- she should be punchy and on her toes. 
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: August 26, 2010, 04:56:23 PM

From your perspective, what feature in DAoC worked far better than anticipated?

Jacobs: RvR. It was the best RvR-centric game ever made in 2001 and, excluding WAR (for obvious reasons), the best RvR-game to date.

I lol'd hard.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: August 26, 2010, 05:41:53 PM

Jacobs: RvR. It was the best RvR-centric game ever made in 2001 and, excluding WAR (for obvious reasons), the best RvR-game to date.

I lol'd hard.

Why?  I agree with him.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: August 27, 2010, 05:44:25 AM

I think he's laughing because it's implying that Jacobs said WAR is now the best RvR game to date, which it also seems to insinuate that he's saying that out of obligation rather than he believes it.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: September 02, 2010, 03:22:28 PM

Skaven are coming: The RvR Pack will be introducing Skaven to the WAR. True to their chaotic nature, the Skaven will influence the battlefield in significant ways, skittering about, doing what Skaven do. Skaven will be playable by both Realms and are not an NPC “third realm”.

To add to Arthur's above post... from the August Producer's letter.

Seems pretty clear: How to add the missing third realm we stupidly left out without all the hassle of making them a "third realm"

Wonder what the implementation will look like... sort of WaR monster-play it would seem.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #469 on: September 02, 2010, 03:38:21 PM

In one of the interviews linked up thread, Carrie Gouskos was saying that there would be no 1-40 progression for Skaven so they look like a pick-up-and-play deal rather than anything else.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: September 03, 2010, 02:57:20 PM

I lol'd hard.

Jacobs: RvR. It was the best RvR-centric game ever made in 2001 and, exincluding WAR (for obvious reasons), the best RvR-game to date.

There, now it reads right.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: September 03, 2010, 02:59:42 PM

I want DAoC 2 damnit.

That is precisely what I and every one I game with was hoping WAR was. Which it wasn't. Which is why we were pissed.

Yes, I do hope someone (Mark or anyone with a clue) eventualy makes a worthy DAoC successor.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #472 on: September 03, 2010, 04:06:38 PM

Funny, AC2 failed because it wasn't AC2 as well.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: September 03, 2010, 06:40:30 PM

I bit the bullet and did a time card sub because my curiosity and pre-Civ V lull couldn't take it anymore. Paul Barnett's absence let's me fool myself into thinking not a sliver of my money goes into his pocket and I won't hear otherwise.

It's not in bad shape anymore. Certainly the technical issues have mostly cleared up, though server stuff is a different issue. The grind is WAY lessened, in RvR, Scenarios and even PQs. The big problem is that most servers are absolutely deserted. Unless you're on Iron Rock or Badlands fuck right off and do something else because nobody's home; Badlands is by far the most populated but it's SO populated it crashes with alarming regularity.

Playing Order on Iron Rock and, dear god help me, I'm having fun. Made it through t1 pretty much only through ORvR. I'd like to see scenarios pop a little faster and more activity in tiers 2 and 3 when it comes to the RvR lakes but, given the game's reputation, we're not going back to the awesome days of yore when shit was happening constantly.

Lastly, I feel that twinge of sadness I get when I played it last. It really was close. Very close. If they'd not done the grind adding and had more robust code to handle lots of people in one place everything MMO related would be an entirely different conversation.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #474 on: September 11, 2010, 03:10:26 PM

Warhammer Online to Stop Operation - (Korea)

According to Korea-based NHN, it will stop the operation of Warhammer Online on September 30. Warhammer Online and TERA are crowned as NHN's two most anticipated online games. As someone from NHN expressed, at the beginning of August, NHN and EA stopped related game localization work, and decided to terminate the game's operational agreement in South Korea.
The game content, which's equal to fifty-three 200-page novels, was translated, and the in-game characters' appearance and art style were also adjusted according to the local culture.

That's fifty three novels, of kill this, fetch that, go somewhere else that I wouldn't want to read.

However, after two years' re-development, Warhammer Online was still unsatisfactory. On the other hand, Mythic's reorganization had much to do with Korean Warhammer Online's stoppage of operation. Since 2006 when Mythic was merged into EA, Mythic has been renamed three times and restructured greatly, and most developers of Warhammer Online have left too. According to NHN, EA itself has lost interest in developing Warhammer Online, and has suggested stopping the development work initiatively. Meanwhile, the game's brand-new content was updated earlier in North America than in South Korea, but gamers there seem not very interested and few new gamers are attracted, which makes Warhammer Online really hard to enjoy a bright future.

Ouch, if I'm reading that right (I can't be arsed to double check), that's not the author saying that, that's NHN themselves.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: September 11, 2010, 03:42:48 PM

That's fifty three novels, of kill this, fetch that, go somewhere else that I wouldn't want to read.

That seems a bit unfair.  Everywhere someone pitched two tents together had a two page entry in the Tome, every town had a few "noteable persons", every enemy had some page long blurb, every PQ and every RVR area had short stories associated with them.  There was a LOT of text in this game.  Nobody read it anyways, of course.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: September 11, 2010, 04:45:16 PM

The tome had a lot of text no one ever saw unless they did a massive number of unlocks.

Edit: Dumb spelling error.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:40:49 AM by Lantyssa »

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: September 11, 2010, 08:54:36 PM

I un-subbed, but I enjoyed my time in the game.  What killed it for me was that there were still engine irregularities (read: positional abilities in a PvE game where the mobs move in time to your moving so it's impossible to line up mobs + my toon just not having the level of control that I like) that turned me off - mostly it turned me off because I know it's never going to be fixed, which I found depressing.

In general I liked the quest dialog more than WoWs, and I can't put my finger on exactly why.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #478 on: September 12, 2010, 02:26:16 AM

The Tome of Knowledge is probably the one really awesome thing that WAR did.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #479 on: September 12, 2010, 02:47:43 AM

Ouch. When EA itself suggests it isn't worth continuing operation of the game, that's a pretty clear sign.

Also, that article suggests issues with TERA and I was unaware that the Kingdom Under Fire 2's dev had quit en masse.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #480 on: September 12, 2010, 01:36:21 PM

That seems a bit unfair.  Everywhere someone pitched two tents together had a two page entry in the Tome, every town had a few "noteable persons", every enemy had some page long blurb, every PQ and every RVR area had short stories associated with them.  There was a LOT of text in this game.  Nobody read it anyways, of course.

It's not unfair, the Tome of Knowledge seems like a great idea, but I only spent about 10 minutes reading it while subscribed and then promptly forgot about it.  How long did you spend reading it?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: September 12, 2010, 09:33:47 PM

I read it, but I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.  Badges, tomes, achievements, whatever.    I probably stuck with WoW a good 2 or 3 months longer this last time, just doing achievements.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: September 13, 2010, 10:45:42 AM

I like badges and achievements too, but still never read more than a page or two out of the Tome.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #483 on: September 13, 2010, 02:29:36 PM

I like badges and achievements too, but still never read more than a page or two out of the Tome.

Same. I think the Tome was just to massive with to much info and text. Also, I seem to recall is wasnt the easiest thing to find the exact info you where looking for.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: September 21, 2010, 10:57:14 AM

The tome had a lot of text no one ever saw unless they did a massive number of unlocks.

Edit: Dumb spelling error.

Would have been cheaper and just as timely to have the game JIT the text through Babelfish for 90% of the text that almost no one every sees or reads.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #485 on: September 21, 2010, 02:30:59 PM

Everywhere someone pitched two tents together
Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #486 on: September 29, 2010, 02:55:44 PM

I watched this Mythic promo video yesterday.

The Reenlisters!

Caught this Turbine promo for LOTRO by accident today via an add on a WAR forum.

Lord of the Rings Online Free to Play Commercial

Maybe it's just me but I dunno, no matter how cheesy one of them is, it seems like the other is just embarrassing to watch.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: September 29, 2010, 03:07:40 PM

That Warhammer one literally hurt to watch. I couldn't finish it.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: September 29, 2010, 04:10:06 PM

I watched this Mythic promo video yesterday.

The Reenlisters!

That must have set them back a couple hundred bucks about 15 minutes. Which to be fair, is more time then allow for planning on how to fix/improve the games themselves why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #489 on: September 29, 2010, 04:58:21 PM

The LotRO one made me laugh. Just seeing the Bioware logo attached to the other piece of crap made me cry. (On the inside.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: