Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  (Read 300616 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #280 on: February 04, 2010, 05:54:26 PM

What the hell is it with MMO devs and different types of currency? Especially completely separate streams of currency that can't be converted between types?

(Noted: what a lot of MMOs use isn't currency in the strictest sense, but the term is good enough for the question.)

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: February 04, 2010, 06:37:26 PM

Better: it's currency that can only be obtained from scenarios.  No more of that open RvR stuff that people were so ambivalent about, now we can just run scenarios over and over for the rewards, except it'll be the same scenarios in every tier.  It'll be just like launch, when everyone OH SHIT WAIT WAIT
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #282 on: February 04, 2010, 06:49:34 PM

Better: it's currency that can only be obtained from scenarios.  No more of that open RvR stuff that people were so ambivalent about, now we can just run scenarios over and over for the rewards, except it'll be the same scenarios in every tier.  It'll be just like launch, when everyone OH SHIT WAIT WAIT
They've already said you also gain this "scenario" currency from zone flips and keep sieges.

Which leads me to believe why even have this currency and just make these new weapons use the current crest currency they have, unless they don't want it dropping off players.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: February 04, 2010, 07:31:46 PM

What the hell is it with MMO devs and different types of currency?

It allows them to reward certain activities by small increments rather than a random chance at a big payout.  Simultaneously, it allows the player choice in their reward.

Especially completely separate streams of currency

Allowing them to specify which activities grant which rewards, to place emphasis on certain activities if they so desire.

that can't be converted between types?

Because the ability to convert the types makes one of the currencies redundant unless there's a tax on conversion, or unless it's one way only.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: February 05, 2010, 08:38:42 AM

It's because any currency that exists for X amount of time in an MMOG is essentially valueless, unless it is being spent faster than it is being earned.  Putting up rewards for any existing currency will mean that some players can buy an entire romper room of them as soon as they log in.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:59 PM

Im considering going back again to try things out for a bit but my biggest gripe I had when I quit was the dam token drops.  Royal crests for example were hard as hell to get which meant I couldnt get gear upgrades because I was losing rolls to level 35 players who cant use them anyhow, well that and the crappy drop rate.  Basically a rank 80 player can get stalled on gear upgrades because the token system sucked. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:02 PM

I can't remember the names well; did they get rid of the stupid lava one that made T3 so unfun?

Tor Anroc, I think.  Yeah, don't see it there; all the scenarios there are from T1 and T2 except Highpass and Praag.  
Thank you. And really, this is probably the best patch note I've ever read about WAR. The god-fucking-awful T3 grind was made so much worse by the fact that TA was the scenario you had to grind.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:44 PM

I liked Tor Annroc ... as an Iron Breaker or Engineer.

I had a habit of clling out "fore" before I punted someone :)

I keep thinking I should re-sub and check it out - then I remember the god-awful grind at L32 and live in fear that it will still be as bad/boring.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: February 06, 2010, 03:21:52 AM

Im considering going back again to try things out for a bit but my biggest gripe I had when I quit was the dam token drops.  Royal crests for example were hard as hell to get which meant I couldnt get gear upgrades because I was losing rolls to level 35 players who cant use them anyhow, well that and the crappy drop rate.  Basically a rank 80 player can get stalled on gear upgrades because the token system sucked. 
The king is being killed a few times a week, so tokens are really a non-issue. Their drop rate has been increased dramatically, however.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: February 06, 2010, 04:15:04 PM

It's because any currency that exists for X amount of time in an MMOG is essentially valueless, unless it is being spent faster than it is being earned.  Putting up rewards for any existing currency will mean that some players can buy an entire romper room of them as soon as they log in.

That too.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: February 07, 2010, 08:36:21 PM

So my severely under warded Ironbreaker got into a king fight last night. This was the first time I'd ever even seen him, so I was excited about how awesome the last fight in the game ever should be.

Unsurprising, it was pretty boring.

Tank hero mob, dodge tornadoes, kill ads, divvy loot.

I don't know what I was expecting, but a tank and spank for the supposedly end game pve encounter, really?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #291 on: April 24, 2010, 03:35:37 PM

WAR is everywhere! (Excluding Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao)

"Warhammer Online" in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao Agent Banking will be June 17, 2010 was terminated and the services and information for all players transfer to the "Warhammer Online" North American server.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:15:14 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: April 24, 2010, 07:29:38 PM

I guess those 'improvements' from a later launch they were touting for Taiwan didn't pan out.  Maybe they should have spent money on a couple more stars and a little less on sunglasses.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #293 on: April 25, 2010, 11:01:20 AM

To be expected. WAR padded its early numbers with expansion into Asia and Russia. Since I'm pretty sure WAR wasn't a hit in those areas (although who knows, perhaps it was big in Bolivia) EA will start cutting those branches out.

amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:03 AM

I re-upped for the free 10 day "come back" trial.  To be honest I am having a surprising amount of fun.  They seemed to have drastically increased xp gain and given folks an incentive to open world PvP.  If they had released the game in this state they may have actually done well.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: April 26, 2010, 11:12:45 AM

I re-upped for the free 10 day "come back" trial.  To be honest I am having a surprising amount of fun.  They seemed to have drastically increased xp gain and given folks an incentive to open world PvP.  If they had released the game in this state they may have actually done well.

Let's see if you still feel this way in Tiers III and IV.  That's where I lost the love. WAY too much cc and AE to make the game enjoyable.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pringles
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: April 27, 2010, 08:42:33 PM

I re-upped for the free 10 day "come back" trial.  To be honest I am having a surprising amount of fun.  They seemed to have drastically increased xp gain and given folks an incentive to open world PvP.  If they had released the game in this state they may have actually done well.

Let's see if you still feel this way in Tiers III and IV.  That's where I lost the love. WAY too much cc and AE to make the game enjoyable.

I just leveled a new char to t4. Its way better than when I played at launch, gear is abundant and way easier to get (wards, hurrah).

CC is basically gone from what I see, except stagger which breaks on damage, knockbacks, and knockdown from a couple classes.  Oh, and some roots, and from what I see they all apply the same immunity to all CC, and it actually finally works.

AOE can still be a pain, but they lowered the AOE damage across the board in like 1.3b from research I did before I resubbed, so it doesn't seem that bad to me...

I definitely agree with the "if this game had been launched this way ...." sentiment, if it was launched this way, I doubt I would have ever quit.

Defending keeps is worthwhile, often yielding 2-3x the rewards of attacking, so its not RvE.  Also incoming city siege revamp which seems positive so people will actually get past stage 1 zerg fest.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:55:07 PM by Pringles »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #297 on: April 29, 2010, 12:25:44 PM

http://www.mythicstore.com/

Re: Mythic store is closed?

Quote from: Random Dude
From the Q&A tonight:

Question: Why was the Mythic store closed?

Answer: It was a business decision, if you have anything specific you were looking for send Andy a PM on the boards and he will look into helping you out.

Not sure what Q&A he's talking about, anyone have a link for that?

Edit to add, Recently uploaded video on You Tube, featuring Paul Barnett detailing a design feature that 3 people actually found, or as Josh Drescher says "This sort of behaviour in no way impacts our ability to stay on schedule", looks like from before release.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:37:22 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #298 on: April 29, 2010, 03:13:55 PM

someone should collect all those WAR promos vids and PB blogs for posterity
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: April 30, 2010, 12:12:06 AM

Edit to add, Recently uploaded video on You Tube, featuring Paul Barnett detailing a design feature that 3 people actually found, or as Josh Drescher says "This sort of behaviour in no way impacts our ability to stay on schedule", looks like from before release.
swamp poop

The sad thing is that everything Barnett says at the end is true, but only applies to games that are already solid and satisfying. No amount of five star quirky will shine up your three star fun. I found that cursed tomb he talked about. I'm sure many Empire players did. I fought the high level monster it summoned and, since I was a warrior priest and because another player wandered in during the fight to help, was barely able to survive it. It dropped nothing special and left me feeling like I'd missed a quest somewhere. I also remember bumbling into a "lair" by accident and seeing some altar and wondering what quest it was for before bumbling out again.

At no point was I as impressed as Paul is with the blinking light on his stereo system.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: April 30, 2010, 01:35:51 AM

The sad thing is that everything Barnett says at the end is true, but only applies to games that are already solid and satisfying. No amount of five star quirky will shine up your three star fun.

Touché. No one gives a crap about you throwing the explorers a bone if your core game scares away three quarters of your player base during the first three months.

I know I'm a sad git for playing the perfect hindsight game, but watching that video, it's like they were painting a house that's on fire; a bunch of well-intentioned but ultimately misplaced effort.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: April 30, 2010, 10:00:10 AM

The fun to explorers was pretty limited.  I had a bit by wandering around places I wasn't supposed to see, but other than Tomb entries and my one lovely PvP outting, it was mostly boring.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: April 30, 2010, 02:05:27 PM

The April producers letter is up!

We’ll be hosting our regular developer Q&A sessions after some of the tests, so please take the opportunity to jump on our Ventrilo server (ventrilo1.eamythic.com port 3960, the password updates with each test) and ask questions of some of the Mythic developers.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Well, here’s the bombshell: By 1.3.6 players will have the capability to play as both Order and Destruction on the same server. 

Incoming mergers!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #303 on: May 01, 2010, 12:44:25 AM

That's pretty much the ball game.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: May 02, 2010, 09:35:52 PM

Wow.  You can get into vent and chat with the one or two devs left?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: May 02, 2010, 09:41:07 PM

Sure.  They're lonely and anyone left playing probably knows the other three players...

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: May 03, 2010, 05:26:11 AM

OMG just pull the plug
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: May 03, 2010, 07:52:23 PM

OMG just pull the plug

Don't say that. That would be like losing Bush as president all over again. There's still some comedy gold in them thar hills.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: May 05, 2010, 11:01:22 AM

I actually re-upped for a month I had such a good time on my free trial.  The game is definitely dying though, but with all the action concentrated onto a few high-pop servers you actually get to fight.  They also did quite a bit to tone down the annoying crowd control, but also seemed to have made added ridiculous gear disparities. 

In any case too little, too late, but I will enjoy it while I can.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: May 05, 2010, 02:21:23 PM

Mythic has made all the same mistakes in WAR that they made in DaoC, they just did it on a faster timetable in WAR. It took like 3-4 years to reach this point in DaoC.  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: May 06, 2010, 06:54:09 AM

I actually re-upped for a month I had such a good time on my free trial.  The game is definitely dying though, but with all the action concentrated onto a few high-pop servers you actually get to fight.  They also did quite a bit to tone down the annoying crowd control, but also seemed to have made added ridiculous gear disparities. 

I didn't know they messed up crowd control (never bothered with that game).  Crowd control was the number one issue with DAOC at release. I can't believe they haven't learn the lesson.  swamp poop
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: May 06, 2010, 07:00:05 AM

I didn't know they messed up crowd control (never bothered with that game).  Crowd control was the number one issue with DAOC at release. I can't believe they haven't learn the lesson.  swamp poop

2 of the major issues with WAR were CC and AE.  For months the common tactic for groups was pull people into 1 spot, AE the spot and root / cc and everyone that got pulled had to just stand there and die.  They did eventually fix CC and AE but it took a year +
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:35 AM

I paid for a month of this a couple of weeks ago and got bored already. I love the classes in this game but the game itself is just repetitive and meh. Especially the RvR, which is the real kick to the balls. Can't believe I adamantly defended it at one time. I had one time in my 2 week adventure that I can recall as being fun and awesome. A brawl in the Nordenwatch SC where both sides had their shit together. I was on my little Zealot and it was friggin intense. 99% of the rest of the time I was there, I was mostly just going through the motions. So, I'm done. It's not worth it for 1% of coolness. Trying out AoC again instead.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #313 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:05 AM

GamesWorkshop Files Suit Against Curse
Quote from: DoranM
We wanted to inform our  community  here on WarhammerAlliance.com that Games Workshop has filed lawsuit  against Curse for operating and maintaining WarhammerAlliance.com. We  feel this is a blatant disregard of the needs of Warhammer fans, and  the community we've worked hard to set up. The lawsuit cites trademark  infringement, cybersquatting (on the domain name), dilution and unfair  competition. You can check out the full complaint  here. It also states that GamesWorkshop was unable to contact anyone  who was an administrator or decision makers at Curse (despite the  numerous  links on our site...).

We are shocked and surprised  by this filing when this site, created in 2005, is well known for being  one of the biggest Warhammer Online game fansite.

We thank you for reading this  and welcome your continued support - see you in game!
Head scratch
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #314 on: May 08, 2010, 06:02:46 AM

GW have always been pretty aggressive about protecting their IP. Any domain name containing one of their trademarks used in a commercial site has to be licenced from them or they'll sue.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online Server Dead Pool  
Jump to: