Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wolverine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wolverine  (Read 43452 times)
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 11:52:02 AM

I'm sensing a sarchasm in this thread.

It was a joke.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 27, 2008, 04:13:48 PM

OK I'm a bit drunk again but I must once again comment.

I don't get the fanboy love for Gambit.  Did he ever tap that sweet Rogue's ass?

Maybe that's the reason.  Anna P. was teh hotness in those movies. 

From previews it looks like Wolvie is a Highlander.  I guess that's OK, he had a great Jim Lee comic with Capn America.
His origin is sooo fucked up.  Where's the goddamn love for Alpha Flight?  The first eleven issues were great.  BTW thanks for KILLING Guardian/Vindicator J. Byrne!  That was sarcasm.  AF was great. Had great potential.  Too bad they killed Guardian and turned Northstar into a tunnel of lover.  Hell, that made natl news back in the day.  The first openly gay superhero.  NTTAWWT.

Shit I should stop before I make a fool of myself.  Oh wait...

fuck
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37 on: December 27, 2008, 04:33:10 PM

What are you having? I want some.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 27, 2008, 07:49:44 PM

Cards are cheap and easy to handle and dispense with. 52 to a deck, 1 dollar. Shuriken is pointless, since he charges shit up kinetically and makes them explode. It wouldn't be cool to destroy shuriken, now would it?

It's not that he's throwing cards per se as projectiles. It's just a cheap method for bombing people.

You're applying logic where none belongs. He uses cards because he's a cardshark and conartist. By your logic he should use pennies.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 27, 2008, 08:09:15 PM

No-name director, played out franchise, and characters/timeline I don't give a shit about (Gambit, Deadpool, claws as a child, etc).

Yep, this one goes into the "don't even bother renting" along with Ghost Rider and the Fantastic Four movies.  Marvel needs to get it's shit together and realize that if you treat a property with respect and don't hire the Ratner's and McG's of the world you can actually have real blockbusters.  I think Warner/DC has finally figured that out, thankfully.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: December 27, 2008, 11:50:52 PM

FF could have been a little better, but really, they did about as much as anyone is going to do with it. It's a stupid comic, therefore you get a stupid movie.
schild
Administrator

Reply #41 on: December 27, 2008, 11:53:27 PM

I'm sensing a sarchasm in this thread.

It was a joke.
Poorly written. Didn't come across as one at all.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 28, 2008, 12:07:17 AM

I won't pretend to be even the least skilled of word smiths, but I thought that among everyone who quoted me- you at least knew it was a shitty joke.

It only requires looking at the few posts immediately before mine.

Hey, I heard that [thing that is normal to X-men] was happening in this movie. [Expression of disappointment].

My bad. I guess I was really reaching with the "deadtooth" part, as he doesn't actually exist. But Wolverclopsman may make an appearance.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:25:08 AM by ashrik »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008, 02:29:28 AM

No-name director, played out franchise, and characters/timeline I don't give a shit about (Gambit, Deadpool, claws as a child, etc).

Yep, this one goes into the "don't even bother renting" along with Ghost Rider and the Fantastic Four movies.  Marvel needs to get it's shit together and realize that if you treat a property with respect and don't hire the Ratner's and McG's of the world you can actually have real blockbusters.  I think Warner/DC has finally figured that out, thankfully.

Not Marvel's fault in this case.  Fox still has the rights licensed to make X-Men movies, just like Sony has the rights to make Spider-man movies.  Both studios are keeping projects in the pipeline so the rights don't revert back to Marvel.

Warner/DC hasn't figured shit out.  They've got one good franchise, consisting of two movies at the moment.  They've been completely unable to get any other project off the ground.  The next project they have closest to completion would be Super Max.  It's a Green Arrow movie that they're too afraid to actually call Green Arrow, involving him wrongly getting sent to a prison for super villains.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 28, 2008, 06:46:30 AM

I'd like to see a Supeman movie done by G. del Toro set mainly on Apokolips (sp).  He would go nuts with Darkseid.

Superman needs to totally ignore Singer's Stalker-Supes and reboot the reboot.  Brandon Routh can stay as Supes, wasn't his fault.

After that, I don't know.  Nothing off the top of my head I want to see on the big screen for DC.

Somehow, Marvel's canon seems more worthy of movies.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 28, 2008, 07:19:10 AM

Eclipso could be awesome.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 11:11:51 AM

The next project they have closest to completion would be Super Max.  It's a Green Arrow movie that they're too afraid to actually call Green Arrow, involving him wrongly getting sent to a prison for super villains.

That is so ultra mega retarded as to be beyond belief. They need to give Kevin Smith $50 million and cast the lead from Sons of Anarchy as Green Arrow and call it a day.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:29 AM

Captain America would make a great movie.  Someone needs to get on it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 11:19:39 AM

Captain America is supposedly in the works already, but as a WWII era movie.  Its supposed to be one of the tie-ins to the Avengers movie.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:45 PM

Captain America is supposedly in the works already, but as a WWII era movie.  Its supposed to be one of the tie-ins to the Avengers movie.

Thor and Iron Man II are in the works for 2010, Captain America and an Avengers movie are slated for 2011. There's also a Spiderman: The Musical in development with music by Bono and The Edge....

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 02:17:03 PM

That is so ultra mega retarded as to be beyond belief. They need to give Kevin Smith $50 million and cast the lead from Sons of Anarchy as Green Arrow and call it a day.
Ahm, no.

They need Cary Elwes. He already did the role once.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 07:00:00 PM

Despite that possibly being in green - the link was in green and we are talking about the Green Arrow - Elwes wouldn't get the main role because they can't build a franchise around him. He's not a well-known enough actor for DC to pick up for the role.

If you look at how a number of comic book companies / studios doing those movies are working in 2008, what they do is:

1) Get a well-known actor who can physically play the lead role and will also draw a crowd.
2) Get a tonne of solid second tier actors - those who have already proven themselves and are in the twilight of their career or those with a small degree of heat at the time of casting.
3) Get a director who is associated with the kind of film they want to make and has some track record of doing it well.
4) Write up a "true in spirit, but not to the exact letter" script. Feel free to reboot the entire universe if other films featuring the character exist.
5) Spend a lot of money on it, especially the advertising.
6) Realise you aren't making a "comic book film" but a career defining action blockbuster.

This worked for "Iron Man", "The Incredible Hulk", "Batman Begins / The Dark Knight". It didn't work for "Superman Returns" because the script was too all-over-the-shop. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, especially for Marvel properties they don't have full control over.

DC / WB has a ton of films in pre-production hell. "Shazam" has apparently just been cancelled, "Justice League of America" has been prepping for a while under George Miller but still isn't in production, "Green Lantern" has been through numerous iterations (including a Jack Black comedy swamp poop) - I'm sure there are others. But DC films are vulnerable to what the rest of WB is doing, despite the success of "The Dark Knight". Marvel runs its own dedicated studio which gives it greater control over projects (of course, they've hocked out so many properties over the years there are reasons for why they are often using revised / Ultimate versions of their characters) but were hedging their bets in 2009 in case their two initial films weren't successful, which is why the next major Marvel films are set for 2010.

"Watchmen" was to be the next big comic book film for WB, but Fox is screwing that up.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 08:02:09 PM

I wonder if there is any chance we'll ever see a Marvel Zombies movie.  Some suit probably would say "Umm, having our most marketable heroes eating people onscreen damages the brand"  awesome, for real

Still, a man can dream...

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 08:04:46 PM

Not to mention that Cary Elwes has grown a chucklehead in recent years.

I think Smallville actually presents the Green Arrow in a cool way.. He's similar to Bruce Wayne there. If a movie could do that, but with a more traditional/less high tech take, then maybe you could get a good movie out of it.

I would have liked a Jack Black Green Lantern though.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #54 on: January 08, 2009, 11:12:26 AM

It didn't work for "Superman Returns" because the script was too all-over-the-shop.

No it sucked because...
A) It was to "I am Jor-El the Second Coming of Jesus...watch the obvious over the top allusions and be amazed!"
B) ALL the acting sucked other Kevin Spacey. ALL of it.
C) Kate Bosworth? Really? Are you fucking kidding me? With a kid?
D) One little fucking ounce of kyrptonite renders him impudent but then he picks up an entire fucking island of it even if it is shielded in dirt? Fuck that noise.
E) ALL the acting sucked other than Kevin Spacey. Needs to be said again.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 08, 2009, 01:45:00 PM

Actually, there's little point analysing what went wrong with Superman 3.

The answer is 'all of it'.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #56 on: January 08, 2009, 04:06:37 PM

What really, really turned me off "Superman Returns" (maybe we need a new thread about it for the nerdrage) was Lois Lane's psychological Munchausen-by-proxy on Superman's kid. SHE MADE HIM WEAK with lots of "you're sick"-type comments and watching what amounts to child abuse on screen - of Superman's kid, no less - sucked any sympathy I had for the character right away.

Spacey was the right actor for Luthor, but I agree with everyone who thought Superman needs another villain to take on in a film.

As for "Wolverine": Jackman really needs a hit to make him look bankable again. I feel sorry for him in doing "Australia" - Baz Luhrman is only good for spectacle and I pity all those who believed that he'd create a film with some substance to it - and like him as an actor.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 08, 2009, 04:37:40 PM

It didn't work for "Superman Returns" because the script was too all-over-the-shop.

No it sucked because...
A) It was to "I am Jor-El the Second Coming of Jesus...watch the obvious over the top allusions and be amazed!"
D) One little fucking ounce of kyrptonite renders him impudent but then he picks up an entire fucking island of it even if it is shielded in dirt? Fuck that noise.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help mysssssssssssself.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 08, 2009, 05:59:04 PM

I would rather watch Elektra then Superman Returns.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 08, 2009, 07:28:26 PM

No it sucked because...

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help mysssssssssssself.
That word being chosen was a result of using the spell checker. Now for the life of me I cant figure out how to spell what it is Im thinking of...impedent? impidant? You know as in unable to achieve erection?

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #60 on: January 08, 2009, 07:54:47 PM

Impotent. As in not potent. Not that I would know.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 02:49:09 AM

Although I've got to say, I like the idea of Kryptonite rendering Superman impudent.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 02:59:44 AM

Although I've got to say, I like the idea of Kryptonite rendering Superman impudent.

No, they already did Superman 3. It sucked ass.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #63 on: January 09, 2009, 07:45:01 AM

Hey, Superman 3 with Richard Pryor was fantastic. Ok, it really sucked, except for that one scene where Superman splits into two and fights himself in the junkyard. Ok, it was gay on all sorts of levels, but a well-done super fight scene, something all the Superman movies had too little of.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #64 on: January 09, 2009, 08:30:58 AM

Are there any straws left after that last post?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #65 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:44 PM

Second, I was thrilled to see little Logan with bone claws. I get into so many insane geek arguments when I try to tell people he was born with those. The X-Men trilogy seemed to imply the claws were implants, but...eeeek little boy with deadly claws.
That was retconned into his origin when Magneto pulled his Adamantium out. In the Claremont/Byrne X-Men his claws were artificial (see Days of Future Past).
Was it? Dang. Well I like his born-with-them claws better. I don't know why; maybe because it's more of an "OMG!!!" moment.

In the Wolverine/X-Men comics that I read for many years it was 100% implants. Originally they were part of his gloves and telescoped out, but that got retconned into being adamantium implants.

Also, what's this WW2 shit? What the fuck? This is why I don't bother with comics anymore. Well said, WUA.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #66 on: January 10, 2009, 06:12:08 PM

Second, I was thrilled to see little Logan with bone claws. I get into so many insane geek arguments when I try to tell people he was born with those. The X-Men trilogy seemed to imply the claws were implants, but...eeeek little boy with deadly claws.
That was retconned into his origin when Magneto pulled his Adamantium out. In the Claremont/Byrne X-Men his claws were artificial (see Days of Future Past).
Was it? Dang. Well I like his born-with-them claws better. I don't know why; maybe because it's more of an "OMG!!!" moment.
In the Wolverine/X-Men comics that I read for many years it was 100% implants. Originally they were part of his gloves and telescoped out, but that got retconned into being adamantium implants.

Also, what's this WW2 shit? What the fuck? This is why I don't bother with comics anymore. Well said, WUA.
The theory is that his "healing factor" makes him age more slowly, among other things, so he's much older than he appears.

Broughden
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 10, 2009, 09:14:44 PM

The theory is that his "healing factor" makes him age more slowly, among other things, so he's much older than he appears.

I thought that was always part of his origin story? No one was really sure how old he really was or they were unaware when he was still trying to piece together his own background. Yes?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #68 on: January 10, 2009, 09:30:01 PM

I thought that was always part of his origin story? No one was really sure how old he really was or they were unaware when he was still trying to piece together his own background. Yes?
It wasn't really mentioned in the earlier comics, at least from what I recall. I don't think it was until the late 80s/early 90s that writers started to mess around with the idea of him being really really old.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 11, 2009, 03:53:46 PM

They need to give Kevin Smith $50 million and cast the lead from Sons of Anarchy as Green Arrow and call it a day.

Kevin Smith can write it, sure.  He must never, ever, ever, ever, ever be allowed behind a camera again, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Wolverine  
Jump to: