Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108407 times)
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #5670 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:09 PM

Tbh on tv we didn't see him get outsmarted at all. Sansa just decided to kill him and apparently got Royce on board off screen. As Royce always hated Littlefinger that wasn't very hard I imagine.

Littlefinger's hold over the Vale is based on his control of Robin Arryn and the knights' loyalty to Robin, Royce originally refused to follow Littlefinger until Littlefinger had Arryn threaten Royce. It always seemed ridiculous for tv Littlefinger to have left Robin in the Vale as it opened him up to the utter contempt Royce has always held for Baelish.

We never saw sansa or bran outmaneuver him.

It was a neat scene played well without any of the groundwork or clever plotting that might have made it interesting.

My main emotion was relief that we weren't going to be subjected to another emo-sister sequence.

Apparently there was a scene that got cut but it was the sansa vs arya thing coming to a head only to have bran interject a lot of truth bombs about littlefinger and how he was tied to every terrible thing that has happened.  Kinda sad they cut it because bran being useful instead of just weird and cryptic would have been a nice change.

I agree.  Not only would it really demonstrate Bran's usefulness to both the audience and to the Stark girls, but it would also show how close Littlefinger really came to alienating Sansa from the rest of her family and placing her in his control.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5671 on: August 30, 2017, 01:29:04 PM

Random thought: Cersei's little unborn child possibly Cthulu monster kills her during pregnancy"

"You have three kids, all of whom will die. Then the fourth will kill you and be born stillborn, because you are a heinous bitch and also it's ironic because that's why your Mom died and why you hate Tyrion. You lose."

Her current pregnancy is definitely a valonqar so prophecies check out.

Also neatly foreshadowed by Joanna's death.

I don't buy it though.

Book Jamie with the hand's chain of office, in the bedroom.

TV Jamie with his golden hand, in the map room.  

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5672 on: August 30, 2017, 01:30:55 PM

Tbh on tv we didn't see him get outsmarted at all. Sansa just decided to kill him and apparently got Royce on board off screen. As Royce always hated Littlefinger that wasn't very hard I imagine.

Littlefinger's hold over the Vale is based on his control of Robin Arryn and the knights' loyalty to Robin, Royce originally refused to follow Littlefinger until Littlefinger had Arryn threaten Royce. It always seemed ridiculous for tv Littlefinger to have left Robin in the Vale as it opened him up to the utter contempt Royce has always held for Baelish.

We never saw sansa or bran outmaneuver him.

It was a neat scene played well without any of the groundwork or clever plotting that might have made it interesting.

My main emotion was relief that we weren't going to be subjected to another emo-sister sequence.

Apparently there was a scene that got cut but it was the sansa vs arya thing coming to a head only to have bran interject a lot of truth bombs about littlefinger and how he was tied to every terrible thing that has happened.  Kinda sad they cut it because bran being useful instead of just weird and cryptic would have been a nice change.

I agree.  Not only would it really demonstrate Bran's usefulness to both the audience and to the Stark girls, but it would also show how close Littlefinger really came to alienating Sansa from the rest of her family and placing her in his control.

And would have turned sansa / arya into an arc rather than two daft and contradictory scenes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5673 on: August 30, 2017, 03:25:29 PM

I've said this before, but one of the problems they have right now is that the books don't fill stuff in anymore. Before you could get the backstory of X character from the books and that could fill in the inadequacies of the shows narrative. Conversely the writers could point at the books and get a sense of what scenes should look like, or they could just abridge scenes from the books. That's pretty much easymode writing.

The shortened timeframe they have now is not helping either of course.

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5674 on: August 30, 2017, 03:53:45 PM

The thing about the books giving us necessary backstory simply isn't true up to the blackwater, and arguably not until the red wedding. They made good decisions on cuts but left plenty of meat on the bones.

If you go back and look at the care taken through to the middle of season 3  it is unrecognisable compared to season 5 through 7.

The thing I Iiked about the last episode this year is how it mostly evoked the early episodes where characters just talk to each other in rooms trying to figure each other out.

You are completely correct that the show writers obviously can't do their jobs well without the books.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5675 on: August 30, 2017, 03:57:19 PM

Good points

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5676 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:57 PM

If you go back and look at the care taken through to the middle of season 3  it is unrecognisable compared to season 5 through 7.

To be fair, everything after the Red Wedding in the books is mostly shit too.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5677 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:21 AM

To be fair, everything after the Red Wedding in the books is mostly shit too.

Arya saw it, ragequit and moved to Bravos just like half of Twitter.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5678 on: August 31, 2017, 11:30:22 AM

I can't argue since A Dance with Dragons was a 1000 page meandering dog turd of a book ending with the cliffhanger of Jon Snow dying.  It seemed like the ultimate in lazy plotting to throw a character death in there at the end when everyone knew it was going to be reversed later.

That was five years after the previous book.  Here it is five years after that and we are still waiting.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5679 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:16 AM

6 years.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5680 on: September 01, 2017, 02:44:47 AM

I think this Wisecrack's video pretty much matches my opinion of the 7th season.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5681 on: September 01, 2017, 05:28:07 AM

GRRM has been saying he is hopeful that 1 of WoW or his asoiaf history book will be ready by end of next year.

Would suggest his minimum WoW estimate is up to 7.5 years.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5682 on: September 01, 2017, 11:54:06 AM

GRRM has been saying he is hopeful that 1 of WoW or his asoiaf history book will be ready by end of next year.

Would suggest his minimum WoW estimate is up to 7.5 years.

Which means there is zero chance he finishes the last book before he croaks.

I am the .00000001428%
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #5683 on: September 01, 2017, 12:39:28 PM

At this point I just relegated his books as fan-fiction.  The HBO show is the story.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5684 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:50 PM

If the show was as good as season 1 and 2, or even 3 and 4, I could understand that.

But feast and dance have issues but are nowhere near as silly as seasons 5 and 7 in particular. Season 6 gets a pass because of the final two Sapochnik episodes.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5685 on: September 01, 2017, 11:24:07 PM

I submit that the distinct lack of T&A - which has really been trending downward the last several seasons - needs to be addressed going forward. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5686 on: September 01, 2017, 11:38:03 PM

Agreed about the severe lack of sexposition.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5687 on: October 01, 2017, 06:03:26 AM

Season 8 direction is being split between Nutter (red wedding), Sapochnik (hardhome, sept explosion) and Weiss/Benioff (various bad episodes).

Reasonably good news.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5688 on: October 01, 2017, 07:04:04 AM

.......   you reference the other episodes for Sapochnik but not Battle of the Bastards? 

But yes, generally good news.  Hopefully they give all the filler episodes to Weiss/Benioff.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5689 on: October 01, 2017, 07:24:31 AM

There's like 7 episodes total, or 6... don't remember. And its still fan fiction.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5690 on: January 05, 2018, 03:11:28 AM

Final season delayed to 2019.

I choose the believe this is an elaborate way to troll GRRM who in all likelihood will still not have written any damn books.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5691 on: January 05, 2018, 05:50:53 AM

Rewatching some, I'm struck at just how bad a character Tyrion becomes in both the books and the show after he kills his father. This last season especially--just completely stripped of emotional intensity or edges, sometimes sanctimonious. It's a waste of Dinklage.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5692 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:22 AM

Well, what was character he other than the seething resentment and desire for revenge? Once that's gone, what job has he in the story? A creative writer could have done something with that, such as him falling apart once the center of his existence has been fulfilled. Turn him into a morality play about the destructive power of revenge.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:57:33 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5693 on: January 05, 2018, 07:50:18 AM

It actually was sort of going that way in the book (and hinted at in the series).  He started becoming cripplingly alcoholic and bitter at everything once he was on the run.  But that still kind of sucked in the books anyways, so not to bothered they changed him to his current boring form.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5694 on: January 05, 2018, 09:31:29 AM

The post-assassination Tyrion in the books was fucking insufferable and useless and had not come back around to doing anything worth a fuck. The TV show version is light years better.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5695 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:15 PM

They're both insufferable. The book Tyrion just mopes and whines on a boat for 1000 pages. The series Tyrion mopes a bit and then becomes a nice sitcom dad trying to manage his teenage daughter-queen. There's no edge at all to him, he's all fake-wisdom that comes from fucking nowhere. Plus he's like I Love Lucy or something, in that the writers perpetually set him up to fail in his advice without any real consequences. Of all the things that I think don't work about the show (and the books) this is the #1 easily. Except maybe the dumb "capture-a-zombie" mission.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #5696 on: June 23, 2018, 01:45:26 PM

Ygritte married Jon Snow. Like, for real. awesome, for real

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5697 on: June 23, 2018, 02:01:22 PM

He still knows nothing.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5698 on: June 23, 2018, 03:01:42 PM

I seen her nakid. why so serious?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5699 on: June 23, 2018, 09:05:09 PM

God Damn he is short.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5700 on: June 23, 2018, 09:30:52 PM

Nice tux though.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5701 on: June 25, 2018, 02:41:33 AM

That is not a tux. As is appropriate for someone not getting married at night.

As one of the least stylish people I know, I feel the urge to stand up for the one fundamental style rule I can get behind - no evening wear in the day time.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5702 on: June 25, 2018, 07:10:29 AM

Only being allowed to wear certain clothes at night is a stupid rule.  I now feel the need to buy a white tuxedo to wear in the middle of the afternoon after Labor Day.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5703 on: June 25, 2018, 08:35:20 AM

I wonder if they invited Olly.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5704 on: January 14, 2019, 01:28:04 AM

Final season of 'f13 complains about Game of Thrones' starts April 14.

There is a teaser trailer of Starks wearing big coats that I can't be arsed to link.

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: