Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:00:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Part 1 Update for Patch 1.05 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Part 1 Update for Patch 1.05  (Read 52953 times)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 08, 2008, 11:39:46 AM

Pure Speculation:  Sanya did a really good job of communicating (grab bag, general PR stuff), AND was instrumental in getting MJ to not run his mouth and shoot himself and Mythic in the foot... and I think it chaffed him.  I think he felt she got more credit then she deserved.  I think that he thinks that he's a good communicator.  I think he finally got rid of her, and now we're really seeing what a good job she did, especially given the circumstances of her employment.
Warskull
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: November 08, 2008, 02:54:59 PM

Communication seems to be Mythics greatest failing.  They just randomly post what they want and if people don't suck up to them, they take their ball and go home.

The fact that very basic skill and tactics bugs aren't being fixed (they skill and tactics don't work or do nothing like described) indicates they aren't even bothering to look for the most basic bug lists in any forums and are pretty much ignoring the in game bug report feature.  Heck, even releasing a list of "Known class bugs" could do a lot for communication.

Mythic currently seems to be delusional about their game.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #142 on: November 08, 2008, 05:30:14 PM

mmmmm, delicious three star ability.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 09, 2008, 12:15:06 AM

The only difference between Mythic's communication from now and from the DaoC days, is the communities expectations (we put up with far less). The level of quality (or lack thereof) has not changed in years. They've always reeked at communicating... just about everything. News to Mechanics to Documentation to Policy. I'm personally waiting for the super secret tester only forums to be made again, if they haven't already  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #144 on: November 09, 2008, 12:40:22 AM

mmmmm, delicious three star ability.

Exactly - useless and detrimental comments like that have constantly popped up from Mythic that just come round to bite them in the arse. I'm not saying every comment should be polished to the nth degree through PR speak so that it blandly says nothing, but a little thought about what is being said is vitally important, especially when such commentary is rare and comes from high up.

Does the CEO of Mythic have nothing better to do than read fan forums? I think it is a great thing to do sometimes, but surely there are other people working at Mythic who can go into this kind of thing.

Pringles
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: November 09, 2008, 12:57:52 AM

100% agree an extra gold bag isn't enough...
I hope its merely to appease people until REAL RVR reward changes can be made for 1.1 or earlier.

I am pondering resubbing atm to check out these patches tomorrow and so I can transfer my character off of Ulthuan.

protip: this is how they get you to continue paying.

I decided against resubbing to test 1.05.

Thanks for your insightful post.   Heart
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: November 09, 2008, 06:20:03 AM

I'm glad to see Squig Herders get buffed in damage-dealing.  I'm glad to see Mythic seems to have a sense of urgency about fixing their game.  I'm glad they are adding more bind points.

But no mention of increasing xp gain, quest or RvR-wise, does NOT make me glad. 

Just remove the cockblocks, let what few players you have left get to 40 so that will fill out the RvR there.  Then improve oRvR rewards, more than the now-infamous "one gold bag".  Once thats done start adding content and levels.  RvR is the ONE thing you have superior to WoW, you have got to make and keep it your focus.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #147 on: November 09, 2008, 03:33:56 PM

I'm personally waiting for the super secret tester only forums to be made again, if they haven't already  awesome, for real

You'll never knowswamp poop

God Save the Horn Players
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 10, 2008, 08:18:45 PM

Patch 1.0.4b

When conquered, Keeps will always provide three gold loot bags and Fortresses will now offer six guaranteed gold loot bags as part of the chest loot.

This is a great change. It's somewhat hampered by the adjustment to Ward items (really, were people chewing thorugh your end game content so fast that you had to implement this ASAP?), but it's a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:20:47 PM by Sophismata »

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
schild
Administrator

Reply #149 on: November 10, 2008, 08:20:19 PM

They're just going to work their way up to everyone getting a goddamn bag. This tip-toeing is just silly. Doesn't particularly matter considering how long it's taking to get there.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 10, 2008, 08:22:21 PM

Holy shit, you're fast.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
schild
Administrator

Reply #151 on: November 10, 2008, 08:31:31 PM

Hmmm. Maybe. Mythic sure isn't. awesome, for real

Edit: OK, that was a cheap shot. They didn't quite deserve that.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: November 11, 2008, 04:43:55 AM

Pure Speculation:  Sanya did a really good job of communicating (grab bag, general PR stuff), AND was instrumental in getting MJ to not run his mouth and shoot himself and Mythic in the foot... and I think it chaffed him.  I think he felt she got more credit then she deserved.  I think that he thinks that he's a good communicator.  I think he finally got rid of her, and now we're really seeing what a good job she did, especially given the circumstances of her employment.

And, if you ever happened to make a trip to Vegas during their round tables Sanya was a a Mythic rock star. People didn't even know what Mark Jacobs looked like, let alone who he was if he opened his mouth without an introduction.

When conquered, Keeps will always provide three gold loot bags and Fortresses will now offer six guaranteed gold loot bags as part of the chest loot.

This is a great change. It's somewhat hampered by the adjustment to Ward items (really, were people chewing thorugh your end game content so fast that you had to implement this ASAP?), but it's a step in the right direction.

I agree, it's in the right direction. But, I won't lie, I have shown up to a keep take, never swung my hammer or cast a heal and still placed for a bag (lesser, but I still placed). The overall system is broke, more rewards is only putting a band aid on it. Give people more loot, that'll fix it! Ok what now, people get gear even faster and run Serpent's Passage 25 times a nite? Wooo? The gear grind is akin to WoW, the Scenario grind is akin to WoW so why am I paying for another game with the same basic principle behind it? WAR needs some umphf, and fast.

Hmmm. Maybe. Mythic sure isn't. awesome, for real

Edit: OK, that was a cheap shot. They didn't quite deserve that.

/soapbox on

Why don't they deserve it. We should hold gaming companies up to a higher standard. Look at their revenues yearly, its staggering. We should hold them at the same level that we hold our car companies if they make a shit car. If a car company said "this car makes 35mpg" and yet we drive it and it makes 20mpg we should complain about that. We should hold them accountable for their shit product. Yes it's a game, but look at how much they make per year across the US and abroad... that amount of money has to come with some amount of accountability and responsibility to deliver on promises. They made their bed, and Thursday nite they are going to sleep in it. If I was Mythic and I was sitting at a meeting next Monday morning and I look at the numbers that Wrath is about to sell just in the US I would put my resume out on the streets that afternoon.

/soapbox off
Von Douchemore
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: November 11, 2008, 07:27:39 AM

Aye, the gold bag thing is no more than a band aid, a microscopic one. AFAIK the contribution system in keeps is still borked at the test server. Plus this only encourages more keep trading instead of keep holding. There is still no fucking point in holding a keep, you get a measly 100 renown every 5 or 10 minutes, meanwhile Bob The BrightWizard is getting 9k every 15 minutes *sigh* at Serpent's Passage.

Well, at least its a small step away from crapnarios.   why so serious?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 11, 2008, 10:54:15 AM

Jacobs and Barnett worked well in promoting WAR, but it looks really bad for the CEO of the company to indicate something hadn't been seen. It very well may have been seen and discussed among other devs at Mythic, but for the CEO to go "huh? wha?" publicly just makes everyone at Mythic look clueless.

I appreciate that Jacobs posts on forums. But he appears not to realise what it means for the rest of Mythic when he replies. The lead class designer should really be fielding these queries... assuming there is one and he isn't Jacobs.

This is one of the things that is really confusing me lately.  From what I remember of Mythic - I left right after Darkness Falls came out - they really focused on the community with DAOC and saw that as something they really wanted to improve on from EQ.  They had multiple well defined people that interacted with the community.  I really believe that this is yet another thing that Blizzard copied from them with WoW and then polished it.  For as bad as the Blizzard forums are, they are no where near like what the EQ forums were.  If you go beyond the General forum to the class forums, there is always good information to be found in the community developed stickies and not universally terrible discussion in most threads.  Its not EJ with its relentless focus on moderating, but Blizzard has done an adequate job of handling the community.

And here in Warhammer, we see Mythic needlessly reinventing the wheel yet again with their community practices and in the process acting decidedly B team about the whole thing.  Really, why is Mark Jacobs, one of the visible heads of the thing, slinging mud in a forum?

You have to get some historical perspective here to see why Mythic's style of customer relations in the early history of DAOC seemed like a big improvement over the industry standard of that time, most signally over Everquest. You have to remember what the basic style of the Everquest live management team was at that time: openly revelling in fucking over the players, openly loathing their customers, openly mocking the idea of being responsive to player requests and concerns. So basically when DAOC opened, and players said something like "Hey, Hibernia is kind of unfinished, isn't it", all it took was the devs saying, "Yeah, sorry, we're working on it" and it felt like "Wow, that's an amazing change!"  The EQ live management at the time would have said, "No, Hibernia is meant to look unfinished because that's the way Irish magic is, kind of shoddy and stuff. So fuck you if you don't like it: you're in our world now, bitches."
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: November 11, 2008, 11:42:57 AM

We seem to be on the same page here.  I played EQ, I remember nonsense about the Vision and promoting bitter community people into design positions.  My point is that Mythic seems to have regressed from their DAOC community model to a more EQ model when I really believe they need to move on to the stronger better position that Blizzard has taken and even go beyond it somehow if they can figure a way to do that.
Le0

Email
Reply #156 on: November 12, 2008, 02:04:56 AM

lol, reading you guys speak about Warhammer is so priceless :)

You should rename this forum to something like : Warhammer Bashing

Can I play too ?

"MJ is a fucking cunt who does not understand my super duper game designer expertise! Come on I play games since I'm 10 I should now what is better?"

Also schild you must not have played a lot of mmo do you ? Poor boy near more experience boooo, leveling is too slow! Come on dude this is already fast compared to the vast majority of MMO, just stop posting about how Mythic and MJ suck and play maybe you'll advance!
schild
Administrator

Reply #157 on: November 12, 2008, 02:06:39 AM

Oh wow. I thought I was done deleting people for shitting in my house. Catch ya on the flipside, catass.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #158 on: November 12, 2008, 02:41:08 AM

On renaming forums, I'm wondering how long it will be before Warhammer Alliance gets renamed to something else by Garthilk, just so he can position it as more of a generic fansite.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: November 12, 2008, 02:43:05 AM

War Alliance predates WAR itself by quite a bit, if I understand things correctly.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: November 12, 2008, 03:51:31 AM

Funnily enough, when I posted on the WAR Alliance forum I already had an account. I looked it up two weeks ago, and found out I'd registered in 2006 to bitch about some asshat claiming that grind and tiered gear were staples of the genre and that you couldn't have an MMO without them (also other stuff).

I laughed then, but... who's laughing now?

(The answer is Blizzard. All the way to the bank.)

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #161 on: November 12, 2008, 06:19:19 AM

I looked it up two weeks ago, and found out I'd registered in 2006 to bitch about some asshat claiming that grind and tiered gear were staples of the genre and that you couldn't have an MMO without them (also other stuff).

So you're the reason Jacob's doesn't visit those forums anymore. I hope you're happy.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: November 12, 2008, 06:58:34 PM

I looked it up two weeks ago, and found out I'd registered in 2006 to bitch about some asshat claiming that grind and tiered gear were staples of the genre and that you couldn't have an MMO without them (also other stuff).

So you're the reason Jacob's doesn't visit those forums anymore. I hope you're happy.

Well, since it's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic... I thought Jacobs stopped visiting those boards because of some sort of personal abuse/attack?

schild
Administrator

Reply #163 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:57 PM

Well, since it's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic... I thought Jacobs stopped visiting those boards because of some sort of personal abuse/attack?

Mark loves attacks that he can form some sort of rebuttal for - unfortunately there's no rebuttal. He screwed the pooch and we called him on it. I wouldn't come back either. It's not a personal thing, I don't think anyone here holds any ill will towards him, but him posting here pissed off a lot of the entitled community, it's probably best for him not to come back as an ambassador for WAR. Shit, most of us don't play it anymore, so atm, he has no reason to come back.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: November 12, 2008, 10:50:36 PM

Mark loves attacks that he can form some sort of rebuttal for - unfortunately there's no rebuttal. He screwed the pooch and we called him on it. I wouldn't come back either. It's not a personal thing, I don't think anyone here holds any ill will towards him, but him posting here pissed off a lot of the entitled community, it's probably best for him not to come back as an ambassador for WAR. Shit, most of us don't play it anymore, so atm, he has no reason to come back.

UnSub was talking about the WHA boards. I forget exactly why Mark refuses to even look at those boards (which I feel is inexcusable given his position as PR / class designer / lead designer / community relations manager).

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #165 on: November 12, 2008, 11:39:26 PM

UnSub was talking about the WHA boards. I forget exactly why Mark refuses to even look at those boards (which I feel is inexcusable given his position as PR / class designer / lead designer / community relations manager).

I was being sarcastic. The thought of Jacobs being told off 2 years ago that something wouldn't work, then implementing it, then for it not to work amused me.

Jacobs will go on about how badly online forums have treated him in the past (which they have) and uses it to justify why he doesn't have an official forums. However, he can't expect to get better behaviour at a fansite, especially when a the vast majority of the abuse he took was posted up on fansites the first time around. 

Jacobs also likes to talk about 'listening to the community', which he does... when they agree with him. It was sad to see him mention scenario-less servers about three times in that thread when every time it was shot down hard.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: November 13, 2008, 12:43:20 AM

It's just how he operates. He loves to be RIGHT.

Heck, most, if not all of the 'old guard' of MMO leadership share that quality. It's probably what fueled the first bunch of MMO's creation. That desire to have their vision realized and created.

They designed their games the same way most of the internet argues. Not with facts or reasons, merely with the intention if 'winning'.

The Unwillingness or the inability to remove ones 'self worth' from ones own ideas. Fantastic motivator, but not much else.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: November 13, 2008, 04:55:54 AM

I was being sarcastic. The thought of Jacobs being told off 2 years ago that something wouldn't work, then implementing it, then for it not to work amused me.

I thought so, but it can be hard to tell.

In further news, the problem with contribution seems to be related to the damage counter exceeding 100k. Which is why PQ's work great in T1 / T2, but Keeps and later PQ's seem to be completely random. Stick under 100K damage (80K seems to be fine) and you should top Contribution. Heals and buffs seem to add to the damage counter.

It's an interesting theory, and possibly explains a few things.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Part 1 Update for Patch 1.05  
Jump to: