Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:29:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of the Seeker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legend of the Seeker  (Read 29693 times)
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:31 AM

In between conference calls, so I started watching this on Hulu.  I've never read the books, but the tv show is fun to play NAME THAT reference - I was honestly surprised that Richard wasn't screaming UNCLE OWEN! AUNT BERU! when he came back to find his house burned down.

Seriously, wow.  It's proving to be awful enough that I can't even ignore it and do more productive things, like websurf.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 09:53:20 AM

I caught the Mord-Sith one on Hulu this weekend. 

My god that woman was hot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 10:41:18 AM

Oh, a clip show!  How could you?!

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 11:46:34 AM

In between conference calls, so I started watching this on Hulu.  I've never read the books, but the tv show is fun to play NAME THAT reference - I was honestly surprised that Richard wasn't screaming UNCLE OWEN! AUNT BERU! when he came back to find his house burned down.

That's a big part of the appeal of the show so far.  That, and Kahlan's combination of flowy wardrobe + being-a-ninja + slo-mo makes for some rather beautiful shots.

Overall, this show makes me feel that I probably missed half the fun of Xena and Hercules way-back-when.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 11:55:36 AM

I was a big fan of those shows, but in many ways this one is actually superior.  The fight choreography is way better, for one.

I do miss Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell in supporting roles, though.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 03:21:20 PM

Ted did get a bit part, though.  Bruce is working on better things, so I can't feel too bad for the loss of him.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 11:41:17 AM

I still enjoy this for what it is.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 09:31:57 AM

I caught the Mord-Sith one on Hulu this weekend. 

My god that woman was hot.

Watching this now - my god, they poured her into that outfit.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14:37 AM

That's the main reason I couldn't bring myself to object to them having the character live when she didn't in the book. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 12:58:42 PM

Nicci from the books supposedly blows away even Kahlan in looks. I wonder if they will get that far.

I have never played WoW.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 25, 2009, 11:08:43 PM

I have a soft spot in my heart for genre television that isn't the usual IP or done by the usual suspects. (Whedon etc) This just wrapped up it's first season, I've only seen about 5 episodes but it's pretty good. Sort of in the same vein as shows like Hercules / Xena but less campy.

It helps that the lead female character has lovely eyes.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 03:51:05 AM

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm reading books of the series this is based on right now.  I think I'm going to stop after this second book, because the author is entirely into his S&M, or something. 
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 03:56:43 AM

Heh once you get past the Mord-Sith the S&M stuff tones down a lot. That's not necessarily a good thing because it leaves him plenty of room to lecture his readers on the virtues of Ayn Rand.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 05:10:56 AM

Yes, Legend, Seeker, all that. I watch.
*cough*

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 05:20:23 AM

Woops I didn't even notice this was a new thread.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 26, 2009, 07:05:26 AM

I've watched random episodes and I feel like I'm watching 4th Ed D&D. Encounter Power. Daily Power. The Hero becomes bloodied and uses a power to kill the 2 minions. No Dragons though :(

The episode with the painter I thought was a quest from Oblivion?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 02:40:20 PM

I have a soft spot in my heart for genre television that isn't the usual IP or done by the usual suspects. (Whedon etc) This just wrapped up it's first season, I've only seen about 5 episodes but it's pretty good. Sort of in the same vein as shows like Hercules / Xena but less campy.

It helps that the lead female character has lovely eyes.

It also helps that the series has writers far, far better than Goodkind.  They're not stellar, "OMG YOU MUST WATCH," writers, but they're still leagues better.

Yes, Hawkbit, stop after the 2nd book.  I slogged through many more than I'm willing to admit only because I'd started the series a year after the first was published and thought it might get better.  It didn't.  It also didn't stop ripping off Jordan for a number of books. Who, admittedly, ripped off older stuff, but some of the early Jordan-Goodkind stuff was just  swamp poop worthy.  "Really? You thought nobody would catch that, TG?"

Hell, the S&M sex was some of the best parts of the series.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #52 on: May 26, 2009, 03:02:11 PM

Jordan, as in Robert Jordan?  My wife is all over WoT.  I've tried reading it and can't get past the first 100 pages.  Should I give them another shot?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: May 26, 2009, 03:08:44 PM

Yep, Robert Jordan.  Only read them up to book 6 if you want to give it a shot.  The beginning of the first book was supposedly overly dry and slow on purpose up until the Trolloc attack.  RJ mentioned years ago that was his "homage to Tolkien" and it feels laborious because of it.

There's no sex, unlike TG, and the characterizations/ mannerisms that become a running joke after book 3.  By the time you hit book 6 they'll either be on your nerves enough that you'll want to quit or you will have enjoyed it enough to want to continue onward.   It is to your advantage that you'd be coming in after he's died and the ghostwriter will be coming out with the final book soon.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:34 PM

Oops didn't realize there was an existing thread that had already mentioned Kahlan's HD hotness.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 26, 2009, 11:41:58 PM

There's no sex, unlike TG, and the characterizations/ mannerisms that become a running joke after book 3.  By the time you hit book 6 they'll either be on your nerves enough that you'll want to quit or you will have enjoyed it enough to want to continue onward.   It is to your advantage that you'd be coming in after he's died and the ghostwriter will be coming out with the final book soon.
Final book(s). It was split in three because of the size, to be released Nov 2009, Nov 2010 and Nov 2011.

Also, some sex does occur, but nothing explicit.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #56 on: May 27, 2009, 03:50:29 AM

Yeah, but comparing the two it's so non-explicit as to not be worth mentioning.  Also, it's  more fun to say "There is none" and then have the new reader go, "Wait, what?!" when it comes to that point.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Didn't realize that it'd been split into 3 books.  Considering the size of FoH and LoC vs PoD, I'm more inclined to believe some money grubbing is at work than believe it couldn't have been one or two books.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 27, 2009, 05:41:02 AM

A long, but detailed explanation for the split (by Brandon Sanderson, the guy who took over for RJ).

But yeah, off-topic. On topic:

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #58 on: May 27, 2009, 05:54:44 AM

They mentioned it, but gave-up the necklace to the cursed princess so she wouldn't turn into the were-creature.  However, since Rada'han seem to be so effing common in this version of the world, you wonder why they don't just pick up another at the local corner store.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 09:56:07 AM

Charisma Carpenter looks good in Mord-Sith red. But not good enough to cover for some atrocious acting.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 08:35:40 AM

Arise!

So, I mentioned in some other thread (Spartacus, probably), that I had started watching this show and thought it was weak.  Well, fuck.  I'm kinda hooked now.  I'm about 5 or 6 episodes into season two, and while it's campy schlock, and can't seem to look away.  I think it has something to do with the fact that the two chicks in the Seeker's party are just so outrageously hot that I can't bear not looking at them.  That Kahlan chick is hot, and the girl who plays the Mord'Sith, Cara, is so overwhelmingly and painfully hot that I want her to torture me with her little magical stick thingy.  God damn.

Anyway, it looks like there's a fair chance that there won't even be a third season? 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 10:37:55 AM

That would be sad.  It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I've been enjoying this show immensely so far.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 11:42:02 AM

Arise!

So, I mentioned in some other thread (Spartacus, probably), that I had started watching this show and thought it was weak.  Well, fuck.  I'm kinda hooked now.  I'm about 5 or 6 episodes into season two, and while it's campy schlock, and can't seem to look away.  I think it has something to do with the fact that the two chicks in the Seeker's party are just so outrageously hot that I can't bear not looking at them.  That Kahlan chick is hot, and the girl who plays the Mord'Sith, Cara, is so overwhelmingly and painfully hot that I want her to torture me with her little magical stick thingy.  God damn.

Give it another ten episodes, and they add Katrina Law from Spartacus as another Mord Sith. Really, this show is nothing but Hec/Xena mk.2, but it does it well and it takes no shame in filling every episode with eye candy.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 06, 2010, 11:44:24 AM

They best not cancel my legend of the cara.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:46:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:10 AM

It's a pretty sad commentary on what kind of human being I am, but one of my favorite parts of the show was when Cara decided to be a little bit good, she put her Mord'Sith outfit back on and was kind enough not to zip it up all the way.  Mind blowing.

Thanks for the pic. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 06, 2010, 11:55:12 AM

You have no idea, between her and Sara from chuck, its a wonder I don't explode where I sit.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #66 on: May 06, 2010, 03:17:11 PM

Really, this show is nothing but Hec/Xena mk.2, but it does it well and it takes no shame in filling every episode with eye candy.

You say "nothing but" like that's not an incredibly awesome thing.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 07:07:16 PM

I love fantasy, but I just can't sit thru this stuff.  Its just been canceled anyway so there's that.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #68 on: May 07, 2010, 06:33:56 AM

This isn't a "fantasy" show. It's an action/comedy set in a far away land where everyone is hot.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 07, 2010, 06:35:48 AM

God dam it, all the good shows get canceled to dam early, but the shit goes on forever.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of the Seeker  
Jump to: