Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:10:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of the Seeker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legend of the Seeker  (Read 29695 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:23 AM

I was slightly curious and now I regret it.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:15 AM

I didn't know what this was so I found the bestest picture I could in GIS:

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:03:00 AM

Really horrible.  Might be okay if you never read the "Sword of Truth" series.

"Me am play gods"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:08:06 AM

Oooooooooh is that what it's based off of?  I saw all these ads for it and was thinking it sounded familiar for some reason.  So was it as god awful as the SoT books?

That sure as fuck isn't what I pictured Richard as looking like, and I thought Khalan was a blonde.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:11:36 AM

Really horrible.  Might be okay if you never read the "Sword of Truth" series.
It might be but it isn't.  The problem is if you enjoyed the 1st few books in the series (which i did) you will probably end up getting hooked into watching this peice of crap on a regular basis.

I don't regret watching this because I want 2 hours of my life back (okay yes i do), i mostly regret watching it because having caught the beginning I will probably watch more of them.  I need an intervention, maybe going out to get drunk next time it is on will break the chain.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:12:55 AM

It's easy to break the chain.

None of the sex, nudity or S&M stuff will make it into the series, ever.  Ta da no more reason to watch!

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:13:41 AM

I started watching it because it looked like the kinda thing I'd like as a kid back when I first discovered D&D. I'm pretty sure I would have liked it if I was still that kid. Now, not so much.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:24:04 AM

I remember picking up a Terry Goodkind book from my brother in law's bookshelf and trying to read it.  I wanted to set it on fire it was so bad.  I don't remember the name but there were like 10000 of them in the series.  I'll have no problem avoiding this tv show!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:21:45 PM

Oooooooooh is that what it's based off of?  I saw all these ads for it and was thinking it sounded familiar for some reason.  So was it as god awful as the SoT books?

That sure as fuck isn't what I pictured Richard as looking like, and I thought Khalan was a blonde.

I read all 8 or 9 of the SoT series over the last 10 years. It started off strong and just got worse and worse, but the last two were ok.

Time to bore everyone!

1) Kahlan was not a blonde in the book. They cast her well. They cast Zedd well. Richard is ok.

2) Kahlan has no idea how to fight in the book - at least not until Richard starts training her. In the show she is a dual-wielding ninja.

3) The D'Harans bring down the boundary with a fucking catapult!?

4) In the show, The Book of Counted Shadows gets opened by Richard once and then burned. It is the keystone to the entire fucking first book! Before the book even begins, Richard has memorized and destroyed it. At the end of the book, he purposefully recites it in error to defeat the bad guy. HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU CHANGE THIS PART?!  Is the final confrontation a lame duel?

5) The show gets Kahlan's power half right.

6) At the end of the second episode, Kahlan says "Finding Darken Rahl will be hard. He will move from castle to castle and temple to temple." WHAT. THE. FUCK. There is one castle in the book and no fucking temples anywhere.

7) Lastly, in the web promotion video, Terry Goodkind says that "yes, there are differences compared to the book but they make it better!" The guy, whose entire series self-righteously bludgeons the reader about being true to oneself, basically admits he sold out.

Still, I will keep watching because there just aren't that many decently acted fantasy shows on.

I have never played WoW.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 12:24:30 PM

I remember picking up a Terry Goodkind book from my brother in law's bookshelf and trying to read it.  I wanted to set it on fire it was so bad.  I don't remember the name but there were like 10000 of them in the series.  I'll have no problem avoiding this tv show!

I haven't been able to get into Goodkind's books either, even when a couple of friends tried to force them on me.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:34:55 PM

Ya, Richard was all wrong.  Basically they tried to make him into Luke Skywalker.

"Me am play gods"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 03:26:28 PM

I haven't been able to get into Goodkind's books either, even when a couple of friends tried to force them on me.

I read the first few, and have picked up later books over the years.  It gets worse and worse.  After he was done ripping shit straight shift from Robert Jordan (and Goodkind fans will fight you to this to no end, but at least Jordan says "Yes I borrowed stuff from Arthurian legend.. just like Orient legend and Norse legend." while Goodkind says "Oh no, it's all completely original!")  he moved on to Ayn Rand and I'm sure other books I didn't catch. I think there was a bit of Shannara in there as well, but I've only read one book in that series.

The guy's a hack who sells well to teenagers because of the sex and violence.

1) Kahlan was not a blonde in the book. They cast her well. They cast Zedd well. Richard is ok.

2) Kahlan has no idea how to fight in the book - at least not until Richard starts training her. In the show she is a dual-wielding ninja.

Hm yeah I wasn't sure if she was or not.  For some reason she's a blonde in my head.  The curviness they got just right, IMO. Too bad we won't get to see her naked leading a charge of powder-white naked men on horseback.

2) Wtf? Really?  swamp poop 

So how'd they fuck-up the power?  Remove the absolute obedience part, or add in some other kind of stupid or defense?

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:48:21 PM

Read an interview with the guy who plays Richard on scifi.com. Wow, he sounds like an airhead. Doubt he ever read SoT or any other book period.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 07:58:34 AM

So how'd they fuck-up the power?  Remove the absolute obedience part, or add in some other kind of stupid or defense?

It is just not clear in the show what the power really does. She uses it once in each of the first episodes and the guy just turns around and starts fighting his own men and eventually gets killed. None of the "How may I serve you mistress?" absolute-mymindisgone-Iwilldowhateveryousay aspect of the power is even hinted at.

Also in the book, when Richard witnesses the power the first time in the fight against the quad, there is a visible effect - like a mini-shockwave.

Now that I write it out, I could easily be accused of nitpicking.

I have never played WoW.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 01:04:48 PM

It is just not clear in the show what the power really does. She uses it once in each of the first episodes and the guy just turns around and starts fighting his own men and eventually gets killed. None of the "How may I serve you mistress?" absolute-mymindisgone-Iwilldowhateveryousay aspect of the power is even hinted at.

Also in the book, when Richard witnesses the power the first time in the fight against the quad, there is a visible effect - like a mini-shockwave.

Now that I write it out, I could easily be accused of nitpicking.

kind of hard to do the FX for "thunder without a sound" is that the same as silent but deadly?  Also, to be fair, the 1st few times she uses the power in the book the target doesn't say much and dies pretty fast.

I read the first few, and have picked up later books over the years.  It gets worse and worse.  After he was done ripping shit straight shift from Robert Jordan (and Goodkind fans will fight you to this to no end, but at least Jordan says "Yes I borrowed stuff from Arthurian legend.. just like Orient legend and Norse legend." while Goodkind says "Oh no, it's all completely original!")  he moved on to Ayn Rand and I'm sure other books I didn't catch. I think there was a bit of Shannara in there as well, but I've only read one book in that series.

The guy's a hack who sells well to teenagers because of the sex and violence.

Hm yeah I wasn't sure if she was or not.  For some reason she's a blonde in my head.  The curviness they got just right, IMO. Too bad we won't get to see her naked leading a charge of powder-white naked men on horseback.

2) Wtf? Really?  swamp poop 

2) exactly - "Too bad we won't get to see her naked leading a charge of powder-white naked men on horseback." was Kahlan's first armed combat scene (book 2) and the only thing Richard has shown her is some pointers with a bow.  I think this is more of an author fuck up, Book 1 - Doesn't really fight and gee these types of activities were frowned upon as I got older sort of vibe, Book 2 kicks ass and my father taught me sort of vibe.

I've decided to reread the 1st 4 books and not watch another episode of the series, almost done with book 2 and am contemplating playing the "Richard is a real special person" drinking game but I am pretty sure this would land me in the hospital as that phrase appears every 3rd chapter or so almost verbatim.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:10 PM

I am a fan of the series but no one should read Temple of the Winds.  The idea that you would read it a second time is disturbing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:22:51 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 02:20:26 PM

Is that the plague one?  The series pretty much started to careen off course once Richard escaped the Palace of the Prophets. I just want to see how the TV show handles the final confrontation with Darken Rahl. Especially the part where Darken Rahl pours liquid lead down the throat of a 10 year old boy during the climactic ceremony.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I have never played WoW.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 02:29:15 PM

They haven't gotten any better, but they haven't gotten any worse.  My main justifications for continuing to watch it are:

1) Ever since Roar was canceled I've been craving more fantasy on TV

2) Kahlan is smoking hot in HD

3) I like the portrayal of Zedd

The weird thing is I read a bunch of the books -- up to and including (I think) the Temple of the Winds -- 10-15 years ago, and I remember absolutely nothing that's happened in the TV series.  I vaguely remember Richard's brother being a dick and him being separated from Zedd for a while, but I think that took up like half of the first book, but about 10 minutes of the TV show.  Other than that, nothing here is familiar.  A village of potion-sellers?  What?

Maybe the books were so shitty I just subconsciously decided not to remember anything in them.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 05:45:14 AM

On pure happenstance of, "Fuck it's Sunday night, I need a distraction from my Dad and Fox is showing some shitty movie" last week, I caught that episode.  Nope, it wasn't in the book. The series has completely diverged from the books at this point, in the name of maintaining a serial. *  The series is as true to the books as Hercules with Kevin Sorbo was to the myths.  Given the source material in question, this can't be a bad thing.

* Key "wtf" divergences:

- All wizards in the Midlands were killed long before this. The last one died saving Khalan from the Quad.
- Having Zedd put a Rada'han on another wizard was way out there for a number of reasons. The least of which being Zedd sees the devices as abominations.

I know too much about this shitty, shitty series.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:48 AM

I managed to veer away from this after the 1st 2 episodes but based on the little info snippets in the interactive TV guide the show no longer even loosely resembles the books.  I'll second Zedd as being 1 of the few reasons to watch, btw is he being played by the gyrocopter guy from the Road Warrior?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 10:34:10 AM

He's the guy, yep. He was also in Beyond Thunderdome.
Bruce Spence - Wikipedia
Quote from: Filmography
Mad Max 2 (1981) .... The Gyro Captain
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) .... Jedediah the Pilot
Legend of the Seeker (2008) TV .... Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 03:06:45 PM

- Having Zedd put a Rada'han on another wizard was way out there for a number of reasons. The least of which being Zedd sees the devices as abominations.

Jesus fucking Christ. Fuck this. I am not watching this ever again. The producers can go to hell and die in an ass fire.

I have never played WoW.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:33:24 PM

Is that the plague one?  The series pretty much started to careen off course once Richard escaped the Palace of the Prophets. I just want to see how the TV show handles the final confrontation with Darken Rahl. Especially the part where Darken Rahl pours liquid lead down the throat of a 10 year old boy during the climactic ceremony.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
It's the fact that he buries the kid in sand up to his neck, then spends a few weeks earning his trust so the kid volunteers to do it.

Frankly, Terry Goodkind hates his characters, has a fascination with sex and torture that makes Ann Rice's shit look normal, and wrote one semi-decent story cribbed together from his betters. The problem was he kept writing after that, and when he ran out of stories to steal, he just started sticking Any Rand speeches into people's mouths.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 01:49:53 AM

As others have said, the show really has little or nothing to do with the books at this point and that's just as well. So far I'm liking the characters the writers have created far more than the objectivist supermen Terry Goodkind came up with.

It's a perfectly good swords and sorcery show with a few Sword of Truth trappings.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 04:00:32 AM

As others have said, the show really has little or nothing to do with the books at this point and that's just as well. So far I'm liking the characters the writers have created far more than the objectivist supermen Terry Goodkind came up with.

It's a perfectly good swords and sorcery show with a few Sword of Truth trappings.

It does have a nice early Herc/ Xena feel to it.  I still think the lead's a little too lean, myself, but he works.  Abandoning the book's storyline can only be a good thing, but the Rada'han thing bugged the fuck out of me because the Zedd character is the best one out of the books.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 04:32:47 AM

Hah, I'll admit that I was a little annoyed when they introduced the Sisters of the Light an episode or two ago and completely invalidated huge amounts of plot from the books in about 30 seconds.

I just have to keep telling myself that its got nothing at all to do with the Terry Goodkind books except a few character names and I'm OK.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 03:06:58 PM

Watched the double pilot. It wasn't at all that awful. Just a little but I'm not spoiled with fantasy that seems to actually have some kind of budget.

As for staying true to the awesome authorship of Terry Goodkind.

Well, who gives a shit. Ohhhhh, I see.

Edit: Wrong author, the right series.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 06:44:48 PM

Haha. The guy playing Zedd was this dude in the Star Wars:

The series might have been better served as an adult animated feature on cable, but, oh well. Could have been worse.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 11:13:01 AM

He's also this guy:

awesome, for real

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:34 AM

He's also this guy:

awesome, for real

That guy is great!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 11:46:07 AM

Oh yes. It makes you wonder what is it in an actor that, despite extensive CGI, inches of make-up and massive voice distortion, still gets through as convincing?

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 06:49:20 AM

I just finished watching the latest couple of episodes.  They actually didn't do too bad a job introducing the Mord-Sith.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 06:26:32 PM

Oh yes. It makes you wonder what is it in an actor that, despite extensive CGI, inches of make-up and massive voice distortion, still gets through as convincing?

By law, Bruce Spence is one of the Holy Chosen who must appear in every movie filmed in Australia. Jack Thompson, Bill Hunter and Bryan Brown are also on that list.

Spence was also the Trainman in the Matrix films.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 09:29:48 AM

I just finished watching the latest couple of episodes.  They actually didn't do too bad a job introducing the Mord-Sith.

More detail on this please. I figured they were just going to cut them out.

I have never played WoW.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:00 AM

Well they went into a little detail about the training of the Mord-Sith, how they had to kill a parent, how the agiel causes as much pain to them when they use it as they inflict. I just assumed they'd either be cut out of the story entirely or turned into some kind of S&M leather fantasy but it wasn't bad at all.

They did make a major change by leaving Denna alive at the end of it but they made her a pretty good character so I assume she'll be a recurring character.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legend of the Seeker  
Jump to: